++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #9,466 of 29,490
I've had my ATH-m50's for a year now and while I'm enjoying them, I can't help but want to experience something better.. Any suggestions? For music, I pretty much listen to anything (pop, rock, techno, just to name a few), and I suppose I'll mostly be using them with my iPod Classic (yes I know, not a great setup) or my laptop with a Soundblaster audio card. I'm still very new to the audiophile world, so I don't really know what I want to hear more of (bass, mids, etc). Budget is preferably ~$200.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #9,467 of 29,490
I'm looking for an on or over ear headphone at or under $300. I know that using an amp would be better but I want a headphone that does not need an amp because frankly I have no room in my pockets for even a Mustang. They have to be relatively small and light because I will be wearing them either on my head or around my neck all day. They also have to be able to fit in my backpack when not in use so case is a must. I also would like them to have iPod controls right on the cord so I don't have to fumble around in my pocket all day long either. I've been looking at a few headphones, any tips, pointers, or ideas are more than welcome.

1.  Bowers & Wilkins P5
2.  V-Moda M-80
3.  Soul by Ludacris SL 300

I really like the sound signature of my B&W Zeppelin. It has crisp highs and treble and bass that booms enough on rap but does not drown out the rest of the spectrum when I listen to classic rock. I know that the P5's sound "weird" and I will definitely demo them at an Apple store before purchase. My beef with the M-80 is that apparently it does not isolate very well. I don't know how much it does isolate but as long as they don't leak sound out they should be fine. Obviously the Soul's are a long shot, they are supposed to be way better than Beats but still they can't compare to audiophile stuff. I like the look of the P5 the best and the fold flat ear cups are a win. I don't know if they V-Moda's have a case or if they fold flat or if I can still wear them around my neck if they don't fold flat. They are supposed to be built military-grade so I guess maybe they don't need a case.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #9,468 of 29,490
Hey all.

Just curious as i saw the youtube video on them.
Are the beyerdynamic DT1350 really worth the extra £80 over the sennheiser hd25's  cause i like them but then i'm up into b&w p5 territory (around £250) and i can only afford one of the three and they're all too temping.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #9,469 of 29,490
Hello, firstly I would like to apologize for starting a new thread by accident if any mods are reading, you can delete this..http://www.head-fi.org/t/581987/need-help-with-choosing-a-headphone

Anyway I'll just copy paste what I wrote in the previous thread

Hi, I am pretty new to headphones, I have been using my old Sennheiser for a while now (it looks like a PMX40, not sure if it is one or an older version) Anyway, it just gave in, the sound is all unclear now and not working right.. Also, to get full sound, I have to press on the volume dial.. Anyway after my headphones stopped working, I switched to normal speakers and I just noticed how bad speakers actually are compared to headphones.
Anyway, my dad has a PXC 350 lying around which he doesn't use much, it's with me at the moment and I really like it, having said that I don't have another headphone of the same level to compare, so I don't know if it's supposed to be good or not.
So I wanted to ask you guys, which one do you prefer? the PXC 350 or a Monster Beats Pro (Those are the headphones I saw at the shop, but they don't have a demo headphone..)

I listen to House, HIp-hop, pop, R&B. Things with Bass and I want clear vocals too :p
It would be good if you can suggest any other headphone (but I want it to be around the ear and not on the ear)

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #9,470 of 29,490
hey guys im new here and i was looking for help picking headphones... i listen to mainly rock and hip hop but i listen to some electronic/dubstep music too... i was looking for some headphones (preferably unamped) around 300$ that have very clear sound so stuff like radiohead, pink floyd, xx, etc will sound amazing but when i listen to hip hop i wont be completely underwhelmed with the lack of bass or anything... thanks in advance 

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #9,471 of 29,490

Quote:
Sooooo after much umming and arring I believe I have come to a decision.
I'm going to go for the HD 650's, The only question left is...
Should I go for the E7/E9 combo or something else?

I personally have never seen negative feedback on the Fiio amplifiers.

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #9,473 of 29,490
DT770/80 or hd598?

I'm looking for my first real set of headphones. It will be used about 50% of the time for games/movies and about 50% of the time on music. Not any competitive gaming, so I don't really need an incredibly wide soundstage for footsteps and that. Music will mostly be used on alt. rock & classic jazz.
I'm open to any suggestions other that what I mentioned, it just needs to be under $200.
Edit: I forgot to mention the source. It will either be plugged directly into my pioneer reciever for movies and games. And for music directly into my computer. I don't currently have an amp.
I would like to get on in the future, and it will be next on my list, but after buying the headphones my budget will be shot for a little while.

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #9,474 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for closed phones with the primary attribute being noise cancellation, or at least great isolation. Followed by sound quality and comfort. Although comfort is still important and I am willing to attach different pads if it won't void the warranty (if it will, don't keep that from suggesting a pair, though). They also need to run out of a laptop without an amplifier. My budget is $200, hard. They don't need to be rock solid, but it would be nice if they didn't fall apart. I hate that plastic creaking, too. Do they all do that now? If no around ear headphones fall under these criteria, I'm willing to hear suggestions for on ear headphones, but then they definitely need noise cancellation.

Best isolation I've heard in full sized cans: Beyer DT770, Senn HD280/380
for on-ear: Senn HD25, Beyer DT1350/T50p, P5

Of these, the DT770, HD280/380 and HD25 should be easy to find within budget. The others are typically a bit higher.

Quote:
Hello, I currently have Superlux HD668B, and I really like the way these sound. Enough bass for me too. I'm looking for an upgrade in 200$ range, what would you suggest for me? They have to be open, or semi-open design, because I hate closed cans.

I've been looking into:

Beyerdynamic DT-990 PRO 132€+12€ shipping

AKG K601 145€+12€ shipping

Beyerdynamic DT860 Edition 156€+12€ shipping

What do you think would be the best of those cans and why? I'm also getting an amp (propably pa2v2) so that won't be a problem. The DT860 are a little out of budget, but if they're really worth it I would consider them.

How about the DT880? I much preferred the balance of that one over the 990.

Quote:
Hello fellas,

I'm here for another pair of headphones.

This one is for some lighter recreational use. 

Here is what I need:

A long cable, say about 9-10 feet 
Sound Quality (duh)
If possible bass
Can be used for gaming

up to about 70 bucks

EDIT: What do you guys think of the Sennheiser HD-428's ?

Decent headphone, though see if you can find the 438 at that price which will give you a little more oomph in the bass.

You could always get an extension cable too.

Quote:
Hi guys, 

I was lucky enough to find this forum, before I headed out to buy beats or bose headphones. Thank the lord.

What I'm looking for are headphones that I could wear inside my room plugged solely into my laptop or Iphone as my source. (am not looking to purchase an amp)
I am looking to spend around 100, definitely no more than 150.
I mostly listen to hiphop, pop, electronica but not much rock, classical, or jazz music.(If that helps)
I am also looking for closed earphones, to block out sound, but its not that important.
comfort also plays a part
I also would want to be able to wear these outside, possibly on the bus or just walking around. (so portable)
I really like bass, but I heard the XBs drown out highs and lows.. which isn't what I want.

These were the headphones I've been looking at:
  1. Audio-Technica's ATH m50s
  2. Sony XB500, XB 700
  3. Senn HD 280
  4. Shure 440
I just want to plug it into my laptop! I might also use it for light gaming, and light movie watching.
Thanks! Please PM me if you can, I would prefer that much more.

Those are all decent choices. You could probably also find the Shure 840 within budget, and add the Pioneer HDJ-500 to your list as well.

The M50 has a decent punchy sound, the XB series are obviously bassy, the HD280 has superb isolation, Shure 440 is well balanced, Shuer 840 is bassier and better isolating (second to the HD280).

Quote:
Sooooo after much umming and arring I believe I have come to a decision.

I'm going to go for the HD 650's, The only question left is...

Should I go for the E7/E9 combo or something else?

It's a good combo, though if you don't need the portablity of the e7 then perhaps consider just a home dac/amp solution.

Quote:
I've had my ATH-m50's for a year now and while I'm enjoying them, I can't help but want to experience something better.. Any suggestions? For music, I pretty much listen to anything (pop, rock, techno, just to name a few), and I suppose I'll mostly be using them with my iPod Classic (yes I know, not a great setup) or my laptop with a Soundblaster audio card. I'm still very new to the audiophile world, so I don't really know what I want to hear more of (bass, mids, etc). Budget is preferably ~$200.

a couple to look into:
Senn HD598
Beyer DT880/990 (likes amping, but maybe worth a try anyways)

Quote:
I'm looking for an on or over ear headphone at or under $300. I know that using an amp would be better but I want a headphone that does not need an amp because frankly I have no room in my pockets for even a Mustang. They have to be relatively small and light because I will be wearing them either on my head or around my neck all day. They also have to be able to fit in my backpack when not in use so case is a must. I also would like them to have iPod controls right on the cord so I don't have to fumble around in my pocket all day long either. I've been looking at a few headphones, any tips, pointers, or ideas are more than welcome.

1.  Bowers & Wilkins P5
2.  V-Moda M-80
3.  Soul by Ludacris SL 300

I really like the sound signature of my B&W Zeppelin. It has crisp highs and treble and bass that booms enough on rap but does not drown out the rest of the spectrum when I listen to classic rock. I know that the P5's sound "weird" and I will definitely demo them at an Apple store before purchase. My beef with the M-80 is that apparently it does not isolate very well. I don't know how much it does isolate but as long as they don't leak sound out they should be fine. Obviously the Soul's are a long shot, they are supposed to be way better than Beats but still they can't compare to audiophile stuff. I like the look of the P5 the best and the fold flat ear cups are a win. I don't know if they V-Moda's have a case or if they fold flat or if I can still wear them around my neck if they don't fold flat. They are supposed to be built military-grade so I guess maybe they don't need a case.

The M80 does not fold flat but it comes with a very nice hard case. Isolation is terrible, though you could always mod it and cover the vents to close it up at the expense of soundstage.

The P5 on the other hand has fantastic isolation.

Quote:
Hey all.

Just curious as i saw the youtube video on them.
Are the beyerdynamic DT1350 really worth the extra £80 over the sennheiser hd25's  cause i like them but then i'm up into b&w p5 territory (around £250) and i can only afford one of the three and they're all too temping.

No one can really tell you if anything is "worth it"... just try and demo them for yourself. Personally, I would pick the HD25 over the DT1350. The P5 is pricier, but you also pay for the nice build and finish.

Quote:
Hi, I am pretty new to headphones, I have been using my old Sennheiser for a while now (it looks like a PMX40, not sure if it is one or an older version) Anyway, it just gave in, the sound is all unclear now and not working right.. Also, to get full sound, I have to press on the volume dial.. Anyway after my headphones stopped working, I switched to normal speakers and I just noticed how bad speakers actually are compared to headphones.
Anyway, my dad has a PXC 350 lying around which he doesn't use much, it's with me at the moment and I really like it, having said that I don't have another headphone of the same level to compare, so I don't know if it's supposed to be good or not.
So I wanted to ask you guys, which one do you prefer? the PXC 350 or a Monster Beats Pro (Those are the headphones I saw at the shop, but they don't have a demo headphone..)

I listen to House, HIp-hop, pop, R&B. Things with Bass and I want clear vocals too :p
It would be good if you can suggest any other headphone (but I want it to be around the ear and not on the ear)

The Beats Pro is heavy and uncomfortable and very expensive for what you get. The sound is "ok"... but really nothing exciting. Since you have the PXC350, just be happy with those and don't spend any more money.

Quote:
hey guys im new here and i was looking for help picking headphones... i listen to mainly rock and hip hop but i listen to some electronic/dubstep music too... i was looking for some headphones (preferably unamped) around 300$ that have very clear sound so stuff like radiohead, pink floyd, xx, etc will sound amazing but when i listen to hip hop i wont be completely underwhelmed with the lack of bass or anything... thanks in advance 

Senn HD25

Quote:
I am interested in the AD700, ZX700, V6, Superlux S668B.

Which would be best for my preferred music? I do not like dark, laid-back sounding 'phones.

I would say one of the Sony models would suit you best.

Quote:
DT770/80 or hd598?

I'm looking for my first real set of headphones. It will be used about 50% of the time for games/movies and about 50% of the time on music. Not any competitive gaming, so I don't really need an incredibly wide soundstage for footsteps and that. Music will mostly be used on alt. rock & classic jazz.
I'm open to any suggestions other that what I mentioned, it just needs to be under $200.
Edit: I forgot to mention the source. It will either be plugged directly into my pioneer reciever for movies and games. And for music directly into my computer. I don't currently have an amp.
I would like to get on in the future, and it will be next on my list, but after buying the headphones my budget will be shot for a little while.

For your genres and lack of amp, I would definitely pick the Senn.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #9,475 of 29,490
I am looking for a good pair of headphones for gaming, music, and tv. I have about a $400 budget but it can be moved up a little bit. I have looked at the Beyerdynamic MMX 300's, are these really good? A mic isn't required but is very high on my list. Thanks, I heard you guys are the best.
P.S. These will be driven by a high end Denon stereo reciever so I think that would be considered a good amp.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #9,476 of 29,490
I currently have the Audio-Technicas A900 with EMU 0404 USB. I'm looking for an upgrade as I've had these headphones for years and they've reached the end of the line. I have £200-350 ($300-$550) to spend. I listen to rock, jazz, accoustic stuff, electro, basically a bit of everything. I think I prefer closed headphones, and ones that would be relatively easy to power, e.g. by using just the 0404 USB. I think I've narrowed things down to

Closed:
ATH-A900X
ATH-W1000X
MDR-Z1000

Open:
AKG Q701
ATH AD900,AD1000
Senns HD600

Am I missing any headphones? What would you guys recommend?

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #9,477 of 29,490
I'm kind of an amateur listener - I'm only looking for headphones in the $50 (USD) range.

They need to be closed and have a somewhat attractive appearance if possible. Also, I'll probably walk (leisurely - nothing athletic) with these from time to time so don't want them to be too loose fitting. I mainly listen to electronic genres such as house and electro. I like bass a lot but don't want it to sound unrealistic. I also listen to some indie and pop, but usually these still have traces of electronics in them so I'm not sure whether that's relevant or not. I don't plan on purchasing an amp, and my music mainly comes from my computer and sometimes iPod.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #9,478 of 29,490

Hello community from Head-Fi, months ago I made a thread asking for headphones that would bring me the best quality of music under the 200 range, since I didn't specify a lot on my tastes most of the people recommended me 2 options which are the 

ATH-M50's
SRHH440

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

And I was hoping by this time of the year I would have money to buy new headphones, but I don't have enough, so I have to stick with the white apple headphones, I guess it's a good thing because now I have extra time to research more, so I made this thread to know different opinions on different headphones from the $50 - $200 range, from doing my research I came to look for 2 essential things on my ideal headphones. Have good quality while playing acoustic music (when you hear almost the fingers slide in the guitar, or in live versions when you can hear the people conversations in the audience), to a rich bass that can make you feel the song in your ears and head, my reason for this is because I can't be certain to say that I don't like a genre, I usually end up listening to a song from a genre that "I don't mind listening" and I fell in love with that particular song, so then I need to find it and buy it, and from my age I have friends showing me new songs from genres like house, electro, trance, etc, etc so I love to have an experience when I can listen to the bass in that song, while be able to listen to every single instrument in that song. so yeah, I need to have those 2 things in headphones, in the last year I owned a pair of Monster Turbines, but they broke, I have to say that I did like them, but I know I can find better headhones than those, oh, I almost forgot I'm looking for earphones why because they're easier to carry around, but still I'm open to reasearch regular headphones as well. so to finish this and let you give your opinion, I'm would love to hear opinions on different headphones, or explain why the M50s or the SRHH440 are a good or bad option, and if I can the things that I look for in other headphones but are over the $200 still I would like to hear from them maybe I can put them for a future plan. 

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #9,479 of 29,490

Quote:
Decent headphone, though see if you can find the 438 at that price which will give you a little more oomph in the bass.

You could always get an extension cable too.

I was thinking of an extension cable.

I hear that the 438's need more power to use em because of their high impedance

What you say for the 438's vs the Creative Audio Live!'s ?

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #9,480 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for a good pair of headphones for gaming, music, and tv. I have about a $400 budget but it can be moved up a little bit. I have looked at the Beyerdynamic MMX 300's, are these really good? A mic isn't required but is very high on my list. Thanks, I heard you guys are the best.
P.S. These will be driven by a high end Denon stereo reciever so I think that would be considered a good amp.

For much cheaper, you can get the DT770 with a separate mic. 

If you're going with a Beyer, I would prefer the DT880 anyways.

With a mic included, the Senn PC360 is also recommended.

Quote:
I currently have the Audio-Technicas A900 with EMU 0404 USB. I'm looking for an upgrade as I've had these headphones for years and they've reached the end of the line. I have £200-350 ($300-$550) to spend. I listen to rock, jazz, accoustic stuff, electro, basically a bit of everything. I think I prefer closed headphones, and ones that would be relatively easy to power, e.g. by using just the 0404 USB. I think I've narrowed things down to

Closed:
ATH-A900X
ATH-W1000X
MDR-Z1000

Open:
AKG Q701
ATH AD900,AD1000
Senns HD600

Am I missing any headphones? What would you guys recommend?

If you've really enjoyed the sound and comfort of the A900, it makes sense to move up the family line to the W1000x.

Quote:

Hello community from Head-Fi, months ago I made a thread asking for headphones that would bring me the best quality of music under the 200 range, since I didn't specify a lot on my tastes most of the people recommended me 2 options which are the 

ATH-M50's
SRHH440

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

And I was hoping by this time of the year I would have money to buy new headphones, but I don't have enough, so I have to stick with the white apple headphones, I guess it's a good thing because now I have extra time to research more, so I made this thread to know different opinions on different headphones from the $50 - $200 range, from doing my research I came to look for 2 essential things on my ideal headphones. Have good quality while playing acoustic music (when you hear almost the fingers slide in the guitar, or in live versions when you can hear the people conversations in the audience), to a rich bass that can make you feel the song in your ears and head, my reason for this is because I can't be certain to say that I don't like a genre, I usually end up listening to a song from a genre that "I don't mind listening" and I fell in love with that particular song, so then I need to find it and buy it, and from my age I have friends showing me new songs from genres like house, electro, trance, etc, etc so I love to have an experience when I can listen to the bass in that song, while be able to listen to every single instrument in that song. so yeah, I need to have those 2 things in headphones, in the last year I owned a pair of Monster Turbines, but they broke, I have to say that I did like them, but I know I can find better headhones than those, oh, I almost forgot I'm looking for earphones why because they're easier to carry around, but still I'm open to reasearch regular headphones as well. so to finish this and let you give your opinion, I'm would love to hear opinions on different headphones, or explain why the M50s or the SRHH440 are a good or bad option, and if I can the things that I look for in other headphones but are over the $200 still I would like to hear from them maybe I can put them for a future plan. 

So you want good bass and good detail, and portable/durable. 

I think most DJ styled headphones may suit you. Check out this large comparative review: http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php
(there's more options in the pull down menu)

Quote:

I was thinking of an extension cable.

I hear that the 438's need more power to use em because of their high impedance

What you say for the 438's vs the Creative Audio Live!'s ?

Impedance is not the only measure of a headphone's performance or difficulty to drive. The Senn is perfectly fine.

If you can get the CALs for the same price, my vote is for the CAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back