++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #9,451 of 29,490

Quote:
Would it be practical to use the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS just as a dedicated PS3 amp, and get the Fiio E7 + E9 for music listening on my MacBook Pro?

That would work, the E9 has a better headphone amplifier over the DSS.
With the E9 you can get some really nice (250-Ohm) headphones in the future
Guess your looking for a good reason to get the E7/E9.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #9,452 of 29,490

Quote:
That’s exactly what I suspect, that the Ear Force is meant for games and surround sound environments (probably including movies as well). I can probably stretch my budget and use the Ear Force with my PS3, the Xonar for PC games (Battlefield 3, Assassin’s Creed, etc), and the E7 + E9 for music on my MacBook Pro.
I think I’ve decided to go with the above and a Sennheiser HD 598, if I can find one for below $200.
Thanks for the help, everyone!

Places to look for best prices on the HD-598.
eBay
Google search
Bountii
Techbargins
Lots of stuff on Amazon sells with no tax and free shipping.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #9,453 of 29,490

Quote:
I listen to Power Metal, Melodeath, and Yuki Kajiura, mostly. My budget is $70-100. I will not go above this.
My source is a Samsung Captivate /w CM7.1, Voodoo10, voodoo control, DSP Manager, and Power amp. I will NOT be amping.
Suggest stuff to me.

Low cost semi-open headphones
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads.
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux)

Closed headphones
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live)

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #9,454 of 29,490
I am the owner of some Sennheiser HD 515 headphones (hence my username). For those of you unfamiliar with them, these - http://www.sennheiserusa.com/dynamic-stereo-headphones-audiophile_005341.

I love my Sennheiser HD 515 headphones, but now I would like to get some noise-cancelling headphones. I am looking for headphones that will allow for me to hear as much detail in my music as possible, with minimal noise leakage, and great bass. I tend to listen to rock, metal, trance, electronic, and some hip hop. I am open to any suggestions (not picky with brand names, I am looking for quality), and I would be using these headphones with my Zune. I am looking to spend no more than $300. 

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #9,455 of 29,490

Quote:
That would work, the E9 has a better headphone amplifier over the DSS.
With the E9 you can get some really nice (250-Ohm) headphones in the future
Guess your looking for a good reason to get the E7/E9.

I wouldn’t plan to upgrade from the 598s (if I get them) for quite a while. And it’s not that I’m specifically looking for a reason to get the E7 + E9 combo, but it appears to be everything I need (both an amp and a DAC) in a compact and relatively inexpensive package. If there’s something as good but cheaper and just as easily available as clicking “Buy” on Amazon, I’m absolutely open to other suggestions.

But it seems that using the Xonar on my PC, the Ear Force with my PS3, and the E7 + E9 with my MacBook Pro is the best of all worlds and relatively friendly towards my budget (though I admit I’ve stretched it beyond the breaking point).

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #9,456 of 29,490

Quote:
I listen to Power Metal, Melodeath, and Yuki Kajiura, mostly. My budget is $70-100. I will not go above this.

My source is a Samsung Captivate /w CM7.1, Voodoo10, voodoo control, DSP Manager, and Power amp. I will NOT be amping.

Suggest stuff to me.

Sony V6/ZX700

Quote:
I am the owner of some Sennheiser HD 515 headphones (hence my username). For those of you unfamiliar with them, these - http://www.sennheiserusa.com/dynamic-stereo-headphones-audiophile_005341.

I love my Sennheiser HD 515 headphones, but now I would like to get some noise-cancelling headphones. I am looking for headphones that will allow for me to hear as much detail in my music as possible, with minimal noise leakage, and great bass. I tend to listen to rock, metal, trance, electronic, and some hip hop. I am open to any suggestions (not picky with brand names, I am looking for quality), and I would be using these headphones with my Zune. I am looking to spend no more than $300. 

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Do you mean you want active noise cancellation (the kind that needs batteries) or passive isolation?

For passive, the best I know in full sized is the Senn HD280/380 and Beyer DT770, with the Beyer being the bassiest by a good margin

With active, perhaps the Senn PXC450 which I believe is built on the HD380 frame which already has very good passive isolation.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #9,458 of 29,490

Quote:
What is the best on the go headphone for under $400? I listen to a lot of different genres so I'm not particular about more of this or that just all around good. I'm also wondering if open back will leak sound so that others can hear it on a bus? I don't want to disturb others. I will also use it at home when I'm not out. 

Look into the Beyerdynamic DT 1350.

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #9,459 of 29,490
I am looking for closed phones with the primary attribute being noise cancellation, or at least great isolation. Followed by sound quality and comfort. Although comfort is still important and I am willing to attach different pads if it won't void the warranty (if it will, don't keep that from suggesting a pair, though). They also need to run out of a laptop without an amplifier. My budget is $200, hard. They don't need to be rock solid, but it would be nice if they didn't fall apart. I hate that plastic creaking, too. Do they all do that now? If no around ear headphones fall under these criteria, I'm willing to hear suggestions for on ear headphones, but then they definitely need noise cancellation.

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #9,460 of 29,490
Hello, I currently have Superlux HD668B, and I really like the way these sound. Enough bass for me too. I'm looking for an upgrade in 200$ range, what would you suggest for me? They have to be open, or semi-open design, because I hate closed cans.

I've been looking into:

Beyerdynamic DT-990 PRO 132€+12€ shipping

AKG K601 145€+12€ shipping

Beyerdynamic DT860 Edition 156€+12€ shipping

What do you think would be the best of those cans and why? I'm also getting an amp (propably pa2v2) so that won't be a problem. The DT860 are a little out of budget, but if they're really worth it I would consider them.

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #9,461 of 29,490
Hello fellas,

I'm here for another pair of headphones.

This one is for some lighter recreational use. 

Here is what I need:

A long cable, say about 9-10 feet 
Sound Quality (duh)
If possible bass
Can be used for gaming

up to about 70 bucks

EDIT: What do you guys think of the Sennheiser HD-428's ?

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #9,462 of 29,490
Hi guys, 

I was lucky enough to find this forum, before I headed out to buy beats or bose headphones. Thank the lord.

What I'm looking for are headphones that I could wear inside my room plugged solely into my laptop or Iphone as my source. (am not looking to purchase an amp)
I am looking to spend around 100, definitely no more than 150.
I mostly listen to hiphop, pop, electronica but not much rock, classical, or jazz music.(If that helps)
I am also looking for closed earphones, to block out sound, but its not that important.
comfort also plays a part
I also would want to be able to wear these outside, possibly on the bus or just walking around. (so portable)
I really like bass, but I heard the XBs drown out highs and lows.. which isn't what I want.

These were the headphones I've been looking at:
  1. Audio-Technica's ATH m50s
  2. Sony XB500, XB 700
  3. Senn HD 280
  4. Shure 440
I just want to plug it into my laptop! I might also use it for light gaming, and light movie watching.
Thanks! Please PM me if you can, I would prefer that much more.

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #9,463 of 29,490
Wonjunn.

I think you're gonna wanna go with the HFi-580's

Beautiful sound coming from those thinngs. The S-logic on gives a sort of surround sound. They are 5.1. 

Bass is stunning. And it doesn't encroach on the highs and mids

For gaming. They're just epic. I hear downright nearly everything. 
And the cord is pretty long, but i usually keep mine wrapped and tied up. They look nice enough to wear on the go.

One thing I do suggest for these is, before you even try to put them on, burn em in. Basically plug them into an audio source, I.E. your laptop, and play all your music through it at about 60% of max volume. Thats gonna open em up a lot. They sound a lot better after some burn in. Its better to hear em like that the first time around, so that their new outta the box impression does kill your listening pleasure. 

I've had these for a couple of months now, and they just keep getting better and better. No regrets what so ever in buying them.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8

And fyi, they look brighter in person. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back