++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #9,391 of 29,490
Hey all
I was all but set on getting a pair of HD25s on your reccomendation but i've found out that due to unexpected levels of generosity this christmas I can afford to get some pretty fancy headphones.
My question is of these two "portable" over-ears which should i get that is good for all genres but mainly rock, metal, jazz and soul.

Beyerdynamic T70p  OR  Denon A-HD5000

I need one that's comfortable, noise isolating and can deal with being un-amped, (i will be getting an amp soon). these will mainly be for music but some movies and games as well.
Thanks.

P.S. If you have any better suggestions i'd be grateful to hear.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #9,392 of 29,490
Also
do you think some discounted klipsch image ones (£40) would be a good present for my brother.
He likes rock, hip-hop, Soul and some metal. His source is a basic sony Mp3 player but he will probably use these for movies and games on his 360 and PSP.
some noise ioslation and comfort would be a bonus.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #9,393 of 29,490
Ok I'm back in this thread.[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
I've recently become interested in listening to music and I know you people know I mean that in a much-more-than-casual way. To jump into things I've recently puchased a Q460 as most of my listening is done on the move. It's still in the mail so I haven't actually heard them yet. However, I've decided that I want something to compare them to. Being a newb, I want to hear something from the other end of the spectrum. Here's what I'm looking for:[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
The budget:[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[$150 shipped] I live in Toronto, Canada and I've seen some bad shipping fees. B&H has some fair shipping.[size=9pt][/size]

[size=9pt][/size]
My usage:

Primarily used at home with computer applications such as gaming and light listening (hip-hop/r&b/electronic dominant with splashes of light rock). Occasionally I'll play around with programs like "Fruity Loops".

[size=9pt][/size]
The headphones:[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[Open] I've owned some earbuds and I'm about to get my hands on the Q460, I want to see what open headphones are about.[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[Over-ear/Circum-aural] On-ear/supra-aural is not enough. Portability is not an issue here.[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[Comfortable] These will be used for up to 4 hours at a time. I have a tall, ever-so-slightly egg-shaped head and I don't wear glasses (phew).[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[Soundstage] Big. I want to hear separation and direction.[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
Less important details:[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[Removable cable] I am a fan of these but it's not worth sacrificing anything above.

[Brand] I've heard that different brands have different sound signatures and I'd like to get a taste of other brands. I've owned Sennheiser and the AKG mentioned. It's not that important but I'd like to try different brands.

Thanks.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #9,394 of 29,490
Hi all,
I've auditioned everything I could get my hands on in the immediate area and am almost done, just looking for some final reassurance.
I tried the ATH-50, Beyer 770, Senn 380, Shure 840 and 940, and a couple of others.  Liked the ATH50 pretty well, loved the Shure 940, and didn't really go for the others (though really liked the comfort of the Beyer 770).

There was nothing in town to audition the Senn HD25 or any Grados at.  Am I going to regret not testing these later?  Or should I just pull the trigger on the Shure 940?

My source is a 160gb Ipod classic using ALAC files, and I was running unamped for the tests, though I'm planning on a CMOY for the short term and Fostex HP-P1 for the long term as economy permits.

Songs tested were:  Within Temptation: Our Finest Hour live from the Black Symphony cd, Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, Two Steps from Hell: Archangel, and They Might Be Giants: Istanbul not Constantinople (Brownsville Mix).

My music genres are all over the place, but have a very strong emphasis towards female vocals.

While I'm here I'm also looking at a set of IEMs.  At the moment I was considering the vsonic gr07 or the UE triplefi 10.  Either of these a good match to my tastes and setup or is there something else I should be considering?

Thanks all

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #9,395 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I just noticed this thread which looks appropriate for me so apologies for the cross-post. Here's my requirements:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/581376/would-be-grateful-for-some-suggestions-on-new-phones-300-budget

I've narrowed down to these (I think):
- Panasonic HTF600
- Fischer Audio FA011
- Ultrasone Pro 900
- Beyerdynamic DT990

So, the big question: which should I go for?

Since you're running off an amp, you shouldn't have any problem powering any of those. I'd say for home use, go with the DT990 if you'd like something with some punch, or the DT880 if you want something a ltitle more neutral.

Quote:
After a month or so of reading reviews and threads on the site I was hoping for a little advice, I currently have a set of sennheiser hd25s and some sennheiser in ears and am looking at a new set for more serious home listening and the odd bit of lossless playback from iPod. I listen to a wide range of music indie, hip hop, soul, Motown, dubstep, house so need some good all rounders. Budget is around £400 I'll prob go 2nd hand possibly through this forum. Current short list grado rs1i and hf2 but liked the look of denon 7000, LCD-2. I'll then add an amp possibly little dot mkiii. any preferences with the two grados do these sound like good choices? Thanks 

I strongly recommend trying out a lower end grado before commiting to buy one, especially coming from the HD25 which has a very different sound. If you're planning on using thse portably at all, then you will also need some isolation and durability, which none on your list really satisfy.

Quote:
Hey guys I'm looking for an IEM <~$100.
Most importantly I want very deep, impactful bass (I'm a self-proclaimed basshead 
tongue_smile.gif
).  Mid-bass as well as sub-bass.  However, I do not want to completely disregard the quality and texture of the bass, or the clarity of the mids and highs.  I mainly listen to hiphop/rap, dubstep, some rock etc.
I've taken a look at the Atrio M5 MG7's as well as Atrio X's, Hippo VB's, FA Eterna's, FA Consonance etc... Would any of these meet my needs? Any better recommendations?
P.S. I prefer wearing them cord-down, but am open to anything.

It's an over-ear, but the Shure SE215 is a nice piece.

Quote:
Hello All,

I'm kind of ashamed i had no idea this "subculture" or whatever existed and for someone who loves listening to music and wanting the best, I wish i found a forum like this sooner. I RECENTLY started reading and a few months back bought some Super 5vi earphones but my needs have changed so I am looking for headphones. 

I would like to know which are the top 5 headphones that cost around $100-150? If there's one that will give it a good run for its money and costs less than $100, it would be great. What I mean by that is, if there's a headphone that cots $60 that will be such a close call to one compared at $120, or if I wouldn't notice the difference much, then Id be happy to go cheaper. I'm on a budget. 

I would like really good bass but also very good airy, open and clear vocals and highs/mids for things. Basically since this will be for music listening only (and not production or anything), and I listen to ALL kinds of music, I need a very good quality and balanced headphones with an emphasis or leaning towards some very good bass. 

I listen to old school rock,punk rock, alternative rock, postrock, classical, piano solo and variations, guitar. For those, the clean, crisp and airy sounds would be amazing. But i also listen to all sorts of hip-hop (underground and mainstream both), trip-hop, psychadelics. I listen to lots of trance especially vocal trance or progressive and bass for those types of music is very important. Also listen to pop and all that other stuff so basically the best balanced headphones out there with high quality is something I need. 

I'd like headphones with a) good bass b) good everthing else where the bass doesn't drown out the vocals or strings. Has that open airy, crystal clear sound c) very comfortable. I listen to music all day d) hopefully in the price range. My range is somewhat flexible as I am okay with buying used as well. 

Any input appreciated. Just start listing models that you thik would work well and I'll try to find them used. Any comparions would help as well. Thanks. 

Written from my Asus Transformer

Senn PX200-ii
Senn HD280
Shure 440/840
Sony V6/7506
Audio Technica M50
KRK 6400/8400

Quote:
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on buying my first set of decent Headphones. I've been using earbuds all my life and they just won't cut it anymore.
So I've got a budget of £150 ($234) and this is what i'm after:

Sound Quality: I listen to a lot of rock and jazz with some metal and orchestral stuff ass well so I'd like some headphones what sound good with these. Trebels and highs: i'd like detail but i'll leave it to your advice. Bass: not thumping but rich and with a presence.

Closed: Yes as i will be using these a lot when traveling, (on the bus, train and car) So good isolation is a must.

Amp: At the moment no...

Comfort: Another biggie, i'll be using these every day for extended periods so comfort is very important. (I'd say i've got fairly average size head and ears)

Source: I will mostly be listening to music (128Kbits or more Mp3) from my HTC incredible S phone (it's got a alright EQ) so headphones that will work well for this, I'll take your advice on this one as i don't know much myself. I will also sometimes use these through my PS3 so If they are good for movies and games that would be a plus.

Design: I'd like these to be fairly sturdy as I will be using them on the move and want them to last a while, foldable would be nice but i have a big bag so i'll settle for not if need be. As far as looks go, I'd like them to look good but to be honest as long as they aren't hideous I'm fine.

I've been doing a stupid amount of research and have thought about these:

ATH-M50s - with a coiled cable, these seem to be good starter headphones.

Denon A-HD1100/2000 - These seem to get good reviews but quite bulky.

Skullcandy rocnation aviators - I know, I Know... But these don't seem to sound too bad and I love the looks

If need be I can increase the budget to £200 ($312) at christmas but I guess I'll upgrade again at some point.

Thanks for the help.
smily_headphones1.gif

For high solation and comfort... the best I've tried is the B&W P5.

Other high isolation headphones are the Senn HD280/380, Beyer DT770 (not very portable), Senn HD25 (portable, but strong clamp on-ear), Beyer DT1350/T50p

Quote:
Hey guys, I want a closed circumaural headphone under 500$ that isolates amazingly well and has a good open sound stage. Probably want something closer to nuetral/warm. Any suggestions?

Will be driving by X-Fi (optical) -> NFB-2 -> C2C

I need it to be better isolating and better fitting and less clumsy than Shure SRH840. Shures are almost impsosible to wear. It's like balancing a pool cue on your nose. ( need something that grips my head like a new pair of HD650's)

A Beyer DT770pro, EQ the bass down a little bit, and use some room acoustic software like Isone Pro.

Quote:
Just bought an E6 amp and a LOD for my iPod 7G and I was looking into getting some new headphones as well. Right now, I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 438's and the Sennheiser 439's. I listen to a lot of different types of music, but as of recently I have been listening to music a little more heavy on the bass. I know the 438's are supposed to have nehanced bass. I also read that the 439's are the 438's in a new shell. I like the form factor of the 439's but know what im getting in the 438's. 

So, basically, are the 439's the 438's in a new shell? This information would be greatly useful

Also, the velour on the headphones does not seem like what i want. I know the 438's have replacement earpads, but the 439's are newer and seem to not be listed on the Sennheiser website. Will the 438's earpads work on the 439's?

Take the plunge with the 439 and write a review to earn the admiration and epeen of internet strangers
cool.gif

Chances are they will have replacement pads available; you can always call in directly.

Quote:
I don't know why people keep saying the HD25s have a lot of bass. They have a decent bass punch, but little bass body. It sounds good for rock, but it won't cut it with hip-hop or any type of electronic music.

You could try the HD25-13-ii which is the 600 ohm version. Not quite as punchy but the extension and control is better.

Quote:
I am a beginner looking to take a first step into the world of audiophile gear.  I'm looking for a pair of full headphones mostly for home listening but something portable enough to travel with is a plus.  Either way I think I want closed headphones for better isolation and to avoid annoying my girlfriend as most home listening will be within earshot of the living room and kitchen.  Comfort is also important to me.

Thesewill be for music only.  I listen to indie rock, folk, garage/punk, etc. I never listen to hip hop, rap, electronic or classical...for what that's worth.  Without knowing exactly what my preferred sound profile is, I think my preference would be a more neutral sound with focus on clarity, detail and instrument separation.  Much of what I listen to is acoustic, and not heavy on bass.  That said I'm open to suggestions...this is for music enjoyment not studio work, so whatever provides a fun listen works for me.  I will not be getting an amp and most listening will be via iPod, phone and laptop. Budget is under $200.

So far I have researched a bunch of headphones but am quickly getting overwhelmed by the number of options and varying reviews.  

B&W P5s - love the portability, style, comfort and description of sound profile. Price is a high...looking for a cheaper alternative
AT M50s - had all but decided on these...seem fairly portable with good sound and build quality
Senn HD25 - great reviews but not sure about comfort, and don't fold up so not that portable
ultrasone hi-780 - seem like a good alternative to M50s

Basically, are there any great closed cans for under $200 or so that suit folk/indie rock and are fairly comfortable + portable (nice to have) that I should consider? Thanks!

Senn PX200-ii is a nice little headphone. Small and portable, good neutral sound, though only moderate for isolation.

Quote:
Hi there,

I'm new to head-fi, so please be kind
wink.gif

I'm deciding about a new headphone as a replacement for my Sennheiser CX400 in-ears. My budget lays around 70/80 euro (I'm from the Netherlands)

I found the Pioneer HDJ 500 and the Sennheiser 518 very interesting, but I can't decide which to buy. Most of the time I'm listening music at my notebook. Genre's: House, Club, Hardstyle ... a lot of bass.

Could someone help me with this choise? Pioneer vs Sennheiser?

note: Which of them produces the less environmental sound? .. I want to use it at the office and don't want any trouble with my boss for disturbing the workplace
L3000.gif

The HDJ-500 is the obvious choice here. It is bass heavy and also closed so it will isolate from outside noise. The 518 is open and will not reduce environmental sound.

Quote:
Hey all
I was all but set on getting a pair of HD25s on your reccomendation but i've found out that due to unexpected levels of generosity this christmas I can afford to get some pretty fancy headphones.
My question is of these two "portable" over-ears which should i get that is good for all genres but mainly rock, metal, jazz and soul.

Beyerdynamic T70p  OR  Denon A-HD5000

I need one that's comfortable, noise isolating and can deal with being un-amped, (i will be getting an amp soon). these will mainly be for music but some movies and games as well.
Thanks.

P.S. If you have any better suggestions i'd be grateful to hear.

The D5000 has poor isolation and is not exactly a very durable headphone. I haven't heard the T70p, but going from the pedigree I would choose that one for portable use.

Quote:
Also
do you think some discounted klipsch image ones (£40) would be a good present for my brother.
He likes rock, hip-hop, Soul and some metal. His source is a basic sony Mp3 player but he will probably use these for movies and games on his 360 and PSP.
some noise ioslation and comfort would be a bonus.
Thanks in advance.

That's a good price for one. Go for it.

Quote:
 [size=9pt][/size]
I've recently become interested in listening to music and I know you people know I mean that in a much-more-than-casual way. To jump into things I've recently puchased a Q460 as most of my listening is done on the move. It's still in the mail so I haven't actually heard them yet. However, I've decided that I want something to compare them to. Being a newb, I want to hear something from the other end of the spectrum. Here's what I'm looking for:[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[$150 shipped] I live in Toronto, Canada and I've seen some bad shipping fees. B&H has some fair shipping.[size=9pt][/size]

[size=9pt][/size]
My usage:

Primarily used at home with computer applications such as gaming and light listening (hip-hop/r&b/electronic dominant with splashes of light rock). Occasionally I'll play around with programs like "Fruity Loops".

[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[Open] I've owned some earbuds and I'm about to get my hands on the Q460, I want to see what open headphones are about.[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[Over-ear/Circum-aural] On-ear/supra-aural is not enough. Portability is not an issue here.[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[Comfortable] These will be used for up to 4 hours at a time. I have a tall, ever-so-slightly egg-shaped head and I don't wear glasses (phew).[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
[Removable cable] I am a fan of these but it's not worth sacrificing anything above.

[Brand] I've heard that different brands have different sound signatures and I'd like to get a taste of other brands. I've owned Sennheiser and the AKG mentioned. It's not that important but I'd like to try different brands.

Thanks.

Since you've already owned Senns, see if you can get your hands on a used Audio Technica AD900 or a Beyer DT990pro.

Prices and shipping suck for us Canadians. I usually buy headphones used off the forums.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #9,396 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all,
I've auditioned everything I could get my hands on in the immediate area and am almost done, just looking for some final reassurance.
I tried the ATH-50, Beyer 770, Senn 380, Shure 840 and 940, and a couple of others.  Liked the ATH50 pretty well, loved the Shure 940, and didn't really go for the others (though really liked the comfort of the Beyer 770).

There was nothing in town to audition the Senn HD25 or any Grados at.  Am I going to regret not testing these later?  Or should I just pull the trigger on the Shure 940?

My source is a 160gb Ipod classic using ALAC files, and I was running unamped for the tests, though I'm planning on a CMOY for the short term and Fostex HP-P1 for the long term as economy permits.

Songs tested were:  Within Temptation: Our Finest Hour live from the Black Symphony cd, Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, Two Steps from Hell: Archangel, and They Might Be Giants: Istanbul not Constantinople (Brownsville Mix).

My music genres are all over the place, but have a very strong emphasis towards female vocals.

While I'm here I'm also looking at a set of IEMs.  At the moment I was considering the vsonic gr07 or the UE triplefi 10.  Either of these a good match to my tastes and setup or is there something else I should be considering?

Thanks all

You've done more than most by actually auditioning headphones and letting your ears guide you. If you liked the 940s, then they are the right choice for you.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #9,397 of 29,490
You're suggesting me a cheap headphone, 1/3 the value of my budget, that I will have to EQ and run software on? No offense but that's just rubbish. I'll just figure it out myself if that's all I'll get here.

Are the DT770's really going to be better than T70? I mean, to be honest I'm looking to hit that 500$ mark. I want something I'll be happy with for the next couple of years, something I can zone out with.

Software tweaks to make the sound correct is not an option.

I want MORE clarity than an SRH840 offers, but not a very different sound signature.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #9,398 of 29,490

Quote:
You're suggesting me a cheap headphone, 1/3 the value of my budget, that I will have to EQ and run software on? No offense but that's just rubbish. I'll just figure it out myself if that's all I'll get here.

Are the DT770's really going to be better than T70? I mean, to be honest I'm looking to hit that 500$ mark. I want something I'll be happy with for the next couple of years, something I can zone out with.

Software tweaks to make the sound correct is not an option.

I want MORE clarity than an SRH840 offers, but not a very different sound signature.

It's free advice; no need to get snippy about it.

The DT770 is the best isolating full sized headphone I can think of, short of the Senn HD280/380. None of them have that great of a soundstage. I suggested Isone Pro because it's free and it does a very good job of generating room acoustics for soundstage purposes.

The T70p is above $500 (last time I checked), so I did not mention it. I also have not heard it, whereas I have heard the DT770, HD280, HD380.

You could always get the consumer model of the DT770, run the 600 ohm version, and get the customized Manufaktur version. That will probably run you closer to $400.

The Pro80 version is very bassy, I found the 600 version to feel more controlled, but is still overall a bit bass strong which tends to obscure staging details.

Other options you could look into might be a used Thunderpants or mod a Fotex T50p yourself, or maybe an Ultrasone which generates staging with its S-Logic, but none of those isolate as well as the Beyer either.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #9,399 of 29,490
@Armaegis

Thanks for your advise! The isolation of outside noise is 1, but how is the noise for others when I'm listening to the Pioneer or Sennheiser? Do they hear my music?

And which is better for electronic music (house/club etc) while looking at sound quality? The Pioneer or Senn.?

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #9,400 of 29,490

Quote:

It's free advice; no need to get snippy about it.

The DT770 is the best isolating full sized headphone I can think of, short of the Senn HD280/380. None of them have that great of a soundstage. I suggested Isone Pro because it's free and it does a very good job of generating room acoustics for soundstage purposes.

The T70p is above $500 (last time I checked), so I did not mention it. I also have not heard it, whereas I have heard the DT770, HD280, HD380.

You could always get the consumer model of the DT770, run the 600 ohm version, and get the customized Manufaktur version. That will probably run you closer to $400.

The Pro80 version is very bassy, I found the 600 version to feel more controlled, but is still overall a bit bass strong which tends to obscure staging details.

Other options you could look into might be a used Thunderpants or mod a Fotex T50p yourself, or maybe an Ultrasone which generates staging with its S-Logic, but none of those isolate as well as the Beyer either.

Not trying to be snippy, but the DT770 is not even remotely going to satisfy me acoustically. Just really disappointed with the suggestion. Right now I'm reading up on the MDR-Z1000.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #9,401 of 29,490
I find the Z1000s to be warmer sounding than the SRH840s, and they have a soundstage that's more deep than wide. They might be a bit hit-and-miss for your needs. Ultrasones have good imaging if the S-Logic works for you, but they're not very warm sounding. Another headphone you should definitely consider is the Denon D5000.

You could consider the AKG K550. From what I've heard, they might just be what you're looking for. Take that with a grain of salt, though, since they're new and hardly anyone (including myself) had heard them yet.

Stay classy, my fellow Head-Fier.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #9,402 of 29,490
Having trouble getting a response, so let me simplify the question.  I am looking for great-sounding headphones that will perform well without an extra amp through desktop PC and ipod for folk/indie rock.  Closed back only.  Looking for clarity and relatively neutral sound, but a fun and somewhat forgiving listen.  Bonus points for comfort and portability but mostly focused on sound quality.  Budget is <$200.

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #9,403 of 29,490

Quote:
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]

[size=9pt][/size]
My usage:

[size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]
 [size=9pt][/size]

Thanks.

I'd recommend the DT990's (I'm becoming a Beyerdynamic fan).
If you're in Toronto, go to Long & Mcquade and try them out. They have tons of others to demo as well.

I think the Pro version is around $170, and closer to $200 after tax. But you have 30 days to try 'em and you can return them no hassle if unsatisfied.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #9,404 of 29,490
Hey guys, does anyone have any recommendations on a good pair of closed headphones similar to the audiotechnica ath a7000? I used two different pairs of the a7000 for about 4 year, but always ended up having cable issues with them. About 6 months ago I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic Dt770 Pro 80 Ohm from recommendations of other electronic music fans, but I've found they don't really have the energy that my old Audio Technicas had. I've been told that what I'm describing is probably the treble.  Anyways, I listen to mostly electronic music leaning more towards ambient and IDM music, but I tend to be pretty diverse in my listening, and I'd prefer something that could handle classical pretty well. I'd prefer not to spend over the 300 dollar range, but if there is something really amazing a bit above there (probably 400$ max) I'm open to those as well. In terms of amps, I have a headroom desktop amp/DAC. First time posting on here, so if I didn't give enough info, sorry!

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #9,405 of 29,490
Sigh. Already made a new thread because I didnt notice this thread, but quoting myself here goes.

Quote:
Hi!

Since I got my DT770/600 I haven't been following whats hot in HiFi world that keenly but now I corrupted my friend also and we'd like to know what headphones should he get, he likes bass, listens to electronica etc. Headphones will be driven from Xonar Essence ST which has amp. I was thinking of Audio Technica ATH-A900 myself but I guess there is someone more knowledged about these and could recommend something, budget around 200 euros max. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back