++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #9,376 of 29,490

Quote:
yup finding headphones are hard :/  
I found some audio technica ath m50 over my price range but found really good reviews anyone have opinions? or is it for more bassy music or will it fit for my music? :)

Check out the edit on my previous post. I believe that set is covered in the first post

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #9,378 of 29,490

Quote:
okay cool thanks
edit: but would they be good for rock music?

Reading through the original post, it would seem they would be. I have been lurking the forums for a while and it seems that people like those headphones. Hopefully someone will check out these posts and correct us if we're wrong, but my only concern about those headphones is that i only find that $105 price that guy found the headphones at was for a refurbished model. I'm more inclined to go for new headphones. though that seems to be an extra $50 or so

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #9,379 of 29,490

Quote:

Reading through the original post, it would seem they would be. I have been lurking the forums for a while and it seems that people like those headphones. Hopefully someone will check out these posts and correct us if we're wrong, but my only concern about those headphones is that i only find that $105 price that guy found the headphones at was for a refurbished model. I'm more inclined to go for new headphones. though that seems to be an extra $50 or so

Yea if i choose them id probably have to atleast hear if they're good for rock. and maybe ill think of spending the extra 50

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #9,380 of 29,490

Quote:
Yea if i choose them id probably have to atleast hear if they're good for rock. and maybe ill think of spending the extra 50

My other concern is durability. In getting headphones, I prefer when I can remove the cord for easy storage and easy replacement. I would hate to have a pair of headphones go bad from a bad cable in a year. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #9,381 of 29,490

Quote:
My other concern is durability. In getting headphones, I prefer when I can remove the cord for easy storage and easy replacement. I would hate to have a pair of headphones go bad from a bad cable in a year. 

True i've never had headphones with detatchable cords but i just found these so im not sure about that

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #9,382 of 29,490

Quote:
True i've never had headphones with detatchable cords but i just found these so im not sure about that

Detachable cords are on many different headphones. I think, unless someone can come on here and change my mind, I'm just going to get a pair of Sennheiser HD 439's. It has a detachable cord, supposed to have enhanced bass, and look pretty good. They suit the purpose I want, and all my friends swear by Sennheiser headphones, so I think this is the choice for me.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #9,384 of 29,490
Cause if there's no difference in the sound quality and comfort between each model i'll probably go for the Sennheiser HD 25-C II mainly as it's got a coiled cable.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #9,385 of 29,490

Quote:
Cause if there's no difference in the sound quality and comfort between each model i'll probably go for the Sennheiser HD 25-C II mainly as it's got a coiled cable.

Generally, when the HD25s are mentioned we're talking about the HD 25-1 IIs, and yes, the HD25 cousins are different in impedance, form factor and sound quality.

Long story short though, the HD 25-C will be fine since it's just the HD 25-1 II with a coiled cable. I say go for it.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #9,386 of 29,490
Generally, when the HD25s are mentioned we're talking about the HD 25-1 IIs, and yes, the HD25 cousins are different in impedance, form factor and sound quality.

Long story short though, the HD 25-C will be fine since it's just the HD 25-1 II with a coiled cable. I say go for it.

Cheers. I think I know what Santa's going to get me for Christmas.
I'll post a review of the HD25's in January.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #9,387 of 29,490

Ok, so after a fairly large amount of research I have come to this short list of the usual suspects.

Senn HD650 £299.00 appears to be the boring sensible option, a lot of people seem to have these though, they look 'ok' they will probably be comfortable and the sound will probably be very good. Concerned that some reviews say these are 'Dark' The TMA-1s are supposedly considered 'dark' I don't find them that dark but have very little to compare them too.

HE- 300 £275.00 $249.00 from u.s. [£160] love the look of these and the reviews all sound good. But the price difference from dollars to pounds is too much to ignore. Pity.

HE-500 $699.00 [£450.00] price issue as above, and probably out of my price range if i want to get an amp. edit* £775 from amp city way outta my budget:frowning2:

Grado SR325iS - £315.00 [$490.00] $295.00 from u.s. [£190] same price issue as the HE-300, pity these would probably be my headphones of choice as I love the looks my only other concern is comfort and possible issues with non rock music. price issue really is a major concern.

AKG K701 £209.99 love the looks and the price is nice. haven't done a huge amount of research on these but they sound fairly neutral and accurate to the original recording. A lot of people recommending these and the 702 and the Q701, whats the difference etc.

Denon AHD2000 £224.99 like the looks and price is nice, Pretty sure I want open phone as my TMA-1s are closed and want to experience a larger sound stage, which kinda counts these out.

Audio technic a ATH-Ad2000 £381.05 not really researched these thoroughly, bit more expensive, like the looks though. Maybe out of my price range unless i get a really good reason to consider these.

Amp. E7/E9 combo as I like the idea of the portable DAC etc. price is good, seems like the easy option. Don't think for my first amp i would really be into tweaking or changing valves etc.

Headphones - I just want a headphone I can put straight on and find comfortable and hear everything as it should be, my only 'reference' is my TMA-1 [I love these headphones, but i want over ear for at home] so as long as it sounds a little [loads would be preferable:)] better than these everything would be good. Again for my first serious headphone I don't really want to be changing or tweaking it out the box.

Currently reluctantly considering the HD650, feel free to change my mind.

EDIT. for got about the Beyer Dt800 £199 not sure which version to go for, haven't properly researched this one either, not too sure about the looks [not that it really matters]

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #9,388 of 29,490

Quote:

Ok, so after a fairly large amount of research I have come to this short list of the usual suspects.

Senn HD650 £299.00 appears to be the boring sensible option, a lot of people seem to have these though, they look 'ok' they will probably be comfortable and the sound will probably be very good. Concerned that some reviews say these are 'Dark' The TMA-1s are supposedly considered 'dark' I don't find them that dark but have very little to compare them too.

HE- 300 £275.00 $249.00 from u.s. [£160] love the look of these and the reviews all sound good. But the price difference from dollars to pounds is too much to ignore. Pity.

HE-500 $699.00 [£450.00] price issue as above, and probably out of my price range if i want to get an amp.

Grado SR325iS - £315.00 [$490.00] $295.00 from u.s. [£190] same price issue as the HE-300, pity these would probably be my headphones of choice as I love the looks my only other concern is comfort and possible issues with non rock music. price issue really is a major concern.

AKG K701 £209.99 love the looks and the price is nice. haven't done a huge amount of research on these but they sound fairly neutral and accurate to the original recording. A lot of people recommending these and the 702 and the Q701, whats the difference etc.

Denon AHD2000 £224.99 like the looks and price is nice, Pretty sure I want open phone as my TMA-1s are closed and want to experience a larger sound stage, which kinda counts these out.

Audio technic a ATH-Ad2000 £381.05 not really researched these thoroughly, bit more expensive, like the looks though. Maybe out of my price range unless i get a really good reason to consider these.

Amp. E7/E9 combo as I like the idea of the portable DAC etc. price is good, seems like the easy option. Don't think for my first amp i would really be into tweaking or changing valves etc.

Headphones - I just want a headphone I can put straight on and find comfortable and hear everything as it should be, my only 'reference' is my TMA-1 [I love these headphones, but i want over ear for at home] so as long as it sounds a little [loads would be preferable:)] better than these everything would be good. Again for my first serious headphone I don't really want to be changing or tweaking it out the box.

Currently reluctantly considering the HD650, feel free to change my mind.

EDIT. for got about the Beyer Dt800 £199 not sure which version to go for, haven't properly researched this one either, not too sure about the looks [not that it really matters]

Wow, looks like you're really done your research. Here are my thoughts on each:

HD 650: Good clarity and soundstage. Has a "veil" on a lot of amps and sources, meaning the highs are recessed. The overall sound is a bit "dark" as a result. Personally, I find this makes them better suited for genres like electronica, dance, hip-hop.

HE-300: Mostly poor reviews on these. I don't recommend them. This is HifiMan's first dynamic model, and they need more time to get it right.

HE-500: Arguably the best on your list in terms of sound quality. Unfortunately, these are going to need a more powerful amp than the others on your list. If you don't mind investing a bit more in an amp, these would be my pick.

SR-325is: Good for rock music, punk, alternative, folk. Not so good with bass-heavy genres. Has a very noticeable treble emphasis some people love and others find grating. Unlike the others on your list, this is not circumaural, meaning it sits on your ears and not around them. However you can buy different foam pads to make them circumaural. Soundstage is going to be small.

K701/Q701: The original K701 has a very impressive soundstage and images well. Biggest issue is a lack of bass, making them best suited for jazz, classical, folk, etc. The Q701 has a bit more bass presence based on the time I've spent with it. I'd say go for the Q701 over the K701. They'll probably cost the same, and the latter will have better resale value.

D2000: What some would call a "basshead" headphone. The slam and impact on the bass is going to be the most noticeable on these, making them good for hip-hop and beat driven electronica. Some people like these for gaming and movies too. Personally I think everything else aside from bass impact is done better by other cans on your list.

AD2000: I'll admit, I'm an Audio-Technica fan. These are going to be a tad light in bass quantity, but will have well textured bass (quality). The mids are what Audio-Technica does best and is most known for. If you listen to a lot of vocals (especially female vocals) these are going to make them sound magical, imo. The highs may be a tiny bit on the hot side, but not as much as the Grado 325is. These will have a very unique sound signature (definitely not neutral) that some people absolutely adore, and others don't particularly care for.

Really, in the end, it depends on what you're looking for. The HE-500 is going to be the best all around, imo. Just keep in mind that it's going to be hard to drive compared to the other cans, and you'll need some serious amping (though not as much as the HE-6). The D2000 is going to be best if bass is most important to you. If romantic mids (vocals) sound nice, the AD2000. If you like a bit of a hot treble and more of an "up close" experience go for the Grado. The HD650 will be like sitting a few rows back, with a darker sound but lots of detail. The Q701 will be the best bet if you want a huge soundstage and want to feel like the instruments are all around you, at the sacrifice of some bass.

These are just generalizations. What you build in terms of a system to power these with will affect how they perform. You can make a darker headphone like the HD650 closer to neutral by pairing them with a warmer amp, etc.
Hope that helps, and didn't just confuse you more. Heh.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #9,389 of 29,490

Quote:
I am a beginner looking to take a first step into the world of audiophile gear.  I'm looking for a pair of full headphones mostly for home listening but something portable enough to travel with is a plus.  Either way I think I want closed headphones for better isolation and to avoid annoying my girlfriend as most home listening will be within earshot of the living room and kitchen.  Comfort is also important to me.

Thesewill be for music only.  I listen to indie rock, folk, garage/punk, etc. I never listen to hip hop, rap, electronic or classical...for what that's worth.  Without knowing exactly what my preferred sound profile is, I think my preference would be a more neutral sound with focus on clarity, detail and instrument separation.  Much of what I listen to is acoustic, and not heavy on bass.  That said I'm open to suggestions...this is for music enjoyment not studio work, so whatever provides a fun listen works for me.  I will not be getting an amp and most listening will be via iPod, phone and laptop. Budget is under $200.

So far I have researched a bunch of headphones but am quickly getting overwhelmed by the number of options and varying reviews.  

B&W P5s - love the portability, style, comfort and description of sound profile. Price is a high...looking for a cheaper alternative
AT M50s - had all but decided on these...seem fairly portable with good sound and build quality
Senn HD25 - great reviews but not sure about comfort, and don't fold up so not that portable
ultrasone hi-780 - seem like a good alternative to M50s

Basically, are there any great closed cans for under $200 or so that suit folk/indie rock and are fairly comfortable + portable (nice to have) that I should consider? Thanks!

Also want to add that I do tend to listen to some music with lesser audio sources - lo-fi recordings, live bootlegs, and some medium-bitrate mp3s.  Hoping for a headphone that will be somewhat forgiving, without sacrificing quality too much of course.  Recommendations?

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #9,390 of 29,490
Hi there,

I'm new to head-fi, so please be kind
wink.gif

I'm deciding about a new headphone as a replacement for my Sennheiser CX400 in-ears. My budget lays around 70/80 euro (I'm from the Netherlands)

I found the Pioneer HDJ 500 and the Sennheiser 518 very interesting, but I can't decide which to buy. Most of the time I'm listening music at my notebook. Genre's: House, Club, Hardstyle ... a lot of bass.

Could someone help me with this choise? Pioneer vs Sennheiser?

note: Which of them produces the less environmental sound? .. I want to use it at the office and don't want any trouble with my boss for disturbing the workplace
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back