++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 22, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #9,361 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on buying my first set of decent Headphones. I've been using earbuds all my life and they just won't cut it anymore.
So I've got a budget of £150 ($234) and this is what i'm after:

Sound Quality: I listen to a lot of rock and jazz with some metal and orchestral stuff ass well so I'd like some headphones what sound good with these. Trebels and highs: i'd like detail but i'll leave it to your advice. Bass: not thumping but rich and with a presence.

Closed: Yes as i will be using these a lot when traveling, (on the bus, train and car) So good isolation is a must.

Amp: At the moment no...

Comfort: Another biggie, i'll be using these every day for extended periods so comfort is very important. (I'd say i've got fairly average size head and ears)

Source: I will mostly be listening to music (128Kbits or more Mp3) from my HTC incredible S phone (it's got a alright EQ) so headphones that will work well for this, I'll take your advice on this one as i don't know much myself. I will also sometimes use these through my PS3 so If they are good for movies and games that would be a plus.

Design: I'd like these to be fairly sturdy as I will be using them on the move and want them to last a while, foldable would be nice but i have a big bag so i'll settle for not if need be. As far as looks go, I'd like them to look good but to be honest as long as they aren't hideous I'm fine.

I've been doing a stupid amount of research and have thought about these:

ATH-M50s - with a coiled cable, these seem to be good starter headphones.

Denon A-HD1100/2000 - These seem to get good reviews but quite bulky.

Skullcandy rocnation aviators - I know, I Know... But these don't seem to sound too bad and I love the looks

If need be I can increase the budget to £200 ($312) at christmas but I guess I'll upgrade again at some point.

Thanks for the help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sennheiser HD25s should be a good fit.

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #9,362 of 29,490
Hey guys, I want a closed circumaural headphone under 500$ that isolates amazingly well and has a good open sound stage. Probably want something closer to nuetral/warm. Any suggestions?

Will be driving by X-Fi (optical) -> NFB-2 -> C2C

I need it to be better isolating and better fitting and less clumsy than Shure SRH840. Shures are almost impsosible to wear. It's like balancing a pool cue on your nose. ( need something that grips my head like a new pair of HD650's)

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #9,363 of 29,490
hi there,

i'm looking for unamped closed headphones under 350$.
most important is sound isolation and much, tight (not muddy) bass-response.
i am thinking of the ultrasone pro 750 (249€ at amazon.de) and the v-moda crossfade lp2 (169€ at amazon.de).

how ist the ultrasone's bass without any amp? how is its isolation?
are the crossfade lp2 only a limited version of the lp's?
any alternatives?

i know, my requirements probably would meet in-ear best, but i'm afraid of comfort and seal for my pretty small ears (nevertheless, some in-ear alternatives with good isolation and tight bass?).

thank you.

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #9,364 of 29,490

Quote:
hi there,

i'm looking for unamped closed headphones under 350$.
most important is sound isolation and much, tight (not muddy) bass-response.
i am thinking of the ultrasone pro 750 (249€ at amazon.de) and the v-moda crossfade lp2 (169€ at amazon.de).

how ist the ultrasone's bass without any amp? how is its isolation?
are the crossfade lp2 only a limited version of the lp's?
any alternatives?

i know, my requirements probably would meet in-ear best, but i'm afraid of comfort and seal for my pretty small ears (nevertheless, some in-ear alternatives with good isolation and tight bass?).

thank you.

If you're interested in the Ultrasones, you might as well go with the 900s with you're budget.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #9,365 of 29,490
Just bought an E6 amp and a LOD for my iPod 7G and I was looking into getting some new headphones as well. Right now, I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 438's and the Sennheiser 439's. I listen to a lot of different types of music, but as of recently I have been listening to music a little more heavy on the bass. I know the 438's are supposed to have nehanced bass. I also read that the 439's are the 438's in a new shell. I like the form factor of the 439's but know what im getting in the 438's. 

So, basically, are the 439's the 438's in a new shell? This information would be greatly useful

Also, the velour on the headphones does not seem like what i want. I know the 438's have replacement earpads, but the 439's are newer and seem to not be listed on the Sennheiser website. Will the 438's earpads work on the 439's?

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #9,366 of 29,490

Quote:

The Sennheiser HD25-1s have always been a popular suggestion for this sort of use, with good bass, very good isolation, and killer build quality. I personally think they look pretty good, too.

Awkward. I have those headphones on right now.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #9,368 of 29,490

Quote:
Whoops, I forgot to read your sig. :p Sorry
I guess that means you don't consider them to be bass-heavy enough then? I guess I'm out of suggestions at this point then.

They don't really get that "kick" until the volumes pretty far up. My 598's have better bass IMO.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #9,369 of 29,490
I don't know why people keep saying the HD25s have a lot of bass. They have a decent bass punch, but little bass body. It sounds good for rock, but it won't cut it with hip-hop or any type of electronic music.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #9,370 of 29,490
I am a beginner looking to take a first step into the world of audiophile gear.  I'm looking for a pair of full headphones mostly for home listening but something portable enough to travel with is a plus.  Either way I think I want closed headphones for better isolation and to avoid annoying my girlfriend as most home listening will be within earshot of the living room and kitchen.  Comfort is also important to me.

Thesewill be for music only.  I listen to indie rock, folk, garage/punk, etc. I never listen to hip hop, rap, electronic or classical...for what that's worth.  Without knowing exactly what my preferred sound profile is, I think my preference would be a more neutral sound with focus on clarity, detail and instrument separation.  Much of what I listen to is acoustic, and not heavy on bass.  That said I'm open to suggestions...this is for music enjoyment not studio work, so whatever provides a fun listen works for me.  I will not be getting an amp and most listening will be via iPod, phone and laptop. Budget is under $200.

So far I have researched a bunch of headphones but am quickly getting overwhelmed by the number of options and varying reviews.  

B&W P5s - love the portability, style, comfort and description of sound profile. Price is a high...looking for a cheaper alternative
AT M50s - had all but decided on these...seem fairly portable with good sound and build quality
Senn HD25 - great reviews but not sure about comfort, and don't fold up so not that portable
ultrasone hi-780 - seem like a good alternative to M50s

Basically, are there any great closed cans for under $200 or so that suit folk/indie rock and are fairly comfortable + portable (nice to have) that I should consider? Thanks!

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #9,371 of 29,490

hello this is my first post here :) and wondering if theres any headphones people could recommend. i really dont know anything tech or nothing about headphones so i want sennheisers ive heard they're good you can tell me other headphones to i want something pretty good.
right now i have a 
ipod touch 4 
Altec Lansing UHP106
sony mdr-v150 
and im borrowing a record player from my aunt and im soon getting
audio technica at-lp60
so i want HEADPHONES around ear,over ear etc i want some that work with ipod and record player (same outputs i think) 
please tell me any brands thats are better then "beats by dre" xP
and my price point would probably be 100  maybe higher.
tell you what i listen to.

arctic monkeys, bassnectar, The Beatles, Blind pilot, Boston,Bon iver,  Chelsea Grin ,Chiodos Deadmau5, Death cab for cutie , The devil wears prada, Gorillaz, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin,MGMT, Pink floyd, The Postal service, Skrillex, Vampire Weekend

Mostly classic rock, rock, metal and electronic so can anyone recommend headphones that are good with acoustics (blind pilot, bon iver)  and some bass (Deadmau5) i was thinking sennheiser (448,428,518) but want people with expierience and maybe better headphones please help thanks and im starting to listen to alac,flac audio so some headphones where you can really tell the difference with that. Thanks

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #9,372 of 29,490

Anything better than beats......have you tried the $10 set of earbuds at your local CVS?

Sorry for the jokes, but Beats headphones dont get much love around here. But that seems to be how you feel, so you're in the right place
Quote:

hello this is my first post here :) and wondering if theres any headphones people could recommend. i really dont know anything tech or nothing about headphones so i want sennheisers ive heard they're good you can tell me other headphones to i want something pretty good.
right now i have a 
ipod touch 4 
Altec Lansing UHP106
sony mdr-v150 
and im borrowing a record player from my aunt and im soon getting
audio technica at-lp60
so i want HEADPHONES around ear,over ear etc i want some that work with ipod and record player (same outputs i think) 
please tell me any brands thats are better then "beats by dre" xP
and my price point would probably be 100  maybe higher.
tell you what i listen to.

arctic monkeys, bassnectar, The Beatles, Blind pilot, Boston,Bon iver,  Chelsea Grin ,Chiodos Deadmau5, Death cab for cutie , The devil wears prada, Gorillaz, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin,MGMT, Pink floyd, The Postal service, Skrillex, Vampire Weekend

Mostly classic rock, rock, metal and electronic so can anyone recommend headphones that are good with acoustics (blind pilot, bon iver)  and some bass (Deadmau5) i was thinking sennheiser (448,428,518) but want people with expierience and maybe better headphones please help thanks and im starting to listen to alac,flac audio so some headphones where you can really tell the difference with that. Thanks

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #9,373 of 29,490
haha any better recommendations then cvs :p i know almost anything people reccomend will probably sound better then beats but i dont want anything to expensive (100) and i just want something to get into headphones like sennheisers, audio technica etc haha only 2 brands i know smh i need more reccomendations

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #9,374 of 29,490

Quote:
haha any better recommendations then cvs :p i know almost anything people reccomend will probably sound better then beats but i dont want anything to expensive (100) and i just want something to get into headphones like sennheisers, audio technica etc haha only 2 brands i know smh i need more reccomendations

@yojon3000 why you looking at the 400 line and not at the 438's or 439's?

I am actually in the same boat right now. I was digging the Sennheiser HD 438's or HD 439's. We have similar tastes in music. I never got a response about my question, but maybe someone can help.

I am looking to spend about $120 or less on them. looking for over the ear headphones that will be able to handle the bass I want, but not over exagerrate the bass. Just because I want good bass, I still would like the headphones to be well balanced if possible. I know the price limitation makes it hard to find exactly what Im looking for, but I'm interested in getting a decent/nice pair for now and in a year or two (when I get a job, and out of college)when i get more cash, get something nicer.

EDIT: @yojon3000 I wanted to add I've been reading through this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/567149/my-200-and-under-bassheads-buyers-guide) for potential hope of finding something we are looking for.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #9,375 of 29,490

Quote:
I am actually in the same boat right now. I was digging the Sennheiser HD 438's or HD 439's. We have similar tastes in music. I never got a response about my question, but maybe someone can help.

I am looking to spend about $120 or less on them. looking for over the ear headphones that will be able to handle the bass I want, but not over exagerrate the bass. Just because I want good bass, I still would like the headphones to be well balanced if possible. I know the price limitation makes it hard to find exactly what Im looking for, but I'm interested in getting a decent/nice pair for now and in a year or two (when I get a job, and out of college)when i get more cash, get something nicer

yup finding headphones are hard :/  
I found some audio technica ath m50 over my price range but found really good reviews anyone have opinions? or is it for more bassy music or will it fit for my music? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back