++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #9,271 of 29,490
The GR07 cable is not replaceable but quite good. I haven't heard of any problems with them. It is actually a tough call between the GR07 and the IE8 even at half price. If the cost were the same for both (or close enough), buy both! But if you like warm and bassy, go for the IE8. If you like a little more neutral, go for the GR07. The sound stage is def better on the IE8. If someone offered me either brand new, I'd pick the IE8 because it has the replaceable cable. Sonically, I'd pick the GR07. Yup. Its that good.

Now... I don't want to make this an iem recommendation thread!

Quote:

Just a quick question, how is the cable on the GR07? I have, to date, not had a single portable earphone/headphone that hasn't died due to a cable after a year or two. They have all been cheap though, a bunch of PortaPros were the most expensive ones. Guess I'll have to make good use of the case otherwise.

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #9,273 of 29,490
They are more DJ headphones than studio headphones.  They have a bit of a u-curved response, not accurate enough for general monitoring, but fun enough for general listening.  Their lack of soundstage hurts them the most.

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #9,274 of 29,490

Quote:
I own the GR07s and can vouch for them. They are not only the best pair of IEMs I've ever heard (better than even the ER4, TF10, IE8, DBA-02, and RE0 in my opinion), but they are my benchmark for headphones period. I've never heard the HD25 so I can't comment on those, but the GR07 are excellent.

They're very comfortable to me, and most people don't seem to have any comfort issues with them. Build quality is solid, cabling is quite good. Isolation is pretty good as well.

Sound-wise they come off as very effortless and non-fatiguing, slightly laid-back, yet are still pretty revealing and detailed. Overall they have what I would all a neutral sound. Bass is tight and quick with good punch and extension, midrange is very smooth and natural with a touch of warmth, and the high end is also pretty smooth and clear (though they can be prone to some sibilance, particularly before burn-in). Clarity and separation is good, and they have a pretty spacious soundstage for an IEM. On the subject of burn-in, they sound quite horrid right out of the box, but they improve considerably within a roughly 200 hour burn-in period. The sibilance is all but gone on mine, save for a few tracks (and isn't bothersome in the least when it rears it's head).

For $170 I can't recommend them enough.

Quote:
The GR07 cable is not replaceable but quite good. I haven't heard of any problems with them. It is actually a tough call between the GR07 and the IE8 even at half price. If the cost were the same for both (or close enough), buy both! But if you like warm and bassy, go for the IE8. If you like a little more neutral, go for the GR07. The sound stage is def better on the IE8. If someone offered me either brand new, I'd pick the IE8 because it has the replaceable cable. Sonically, I'd pick the GR07. Yup. Its that good.

Now... I don't want to make this an iem recommendation thread!

Thanks, got a much better idea now. Having a real hard time convincing myself that I can wait another week in case of a crazy Black Friday sale, gah! Think it's pretty much settled that I'll go for the GR07 though, doubt I'll see the IE8 drop that much.

Funny, I came to Head-Fi about a month or two ago to buy some €100 headphones and somehow I will have spent 6-7 times that after this purchase.

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #9,276 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking for any advice on the best way to spend just over £500 to take my rig to the next level. I'll start by telling what I already have; Shure SE530's, Graham Slee Voyager, Cowon S9, FLAC music files and a MacBook Pro 13". I'm pretty sure I want to buy some full sized headphones and have been looking at either spending £300 on the Grado SR 325is and £200 on the Cambridge Audio DACMagic so I could use the USB on my macbook pro to listen. My other idea was spending most the money on the HiFiMAN HE-500 headphones and getting a cheaper FiiO E7 to use with my macbook pro. I would be using the Graham Slee Voyager in conjunction with either of the DAC's. So with this information what do you think would be the best option? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Oh, and I will only be using this for listening to music, not mixing or DJ-ing

Thanks in advance =)

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #9,277 of 29,490

[size=small] Allo!  I've been debating for a long time about what headphones/headset to get for gaming, and I think I've limited it down to the AD700 and PC360. As much as I want to try out the dt880s or other high-end headphones, they are out of my price range :frowning2:.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Anyways, from what I've read, the ad700 has the end-all best soundstage for gaming, but some of the worst bass. Now, I am going to be playing Battlefield 3, so as much as I want to be able to pinpoint where guys are shootin at me, I also want to be able to hear/feel the explosive shot of a tank. I know 'feeling' and 'soundstage' is an oxymoron, but ultimately I am just wondering if both phones have weak bass, in which case I'll just go for the ad700s.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Of course, if you have a recommendation besides these two under $200, I will check them out too :)! Thanks![/size]

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #9,278 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all so I am looking to purchase headphones for the price i listed. I listen to techno,rock, house, r&b, and some rap also I watch movies and game(Not a competitive gamer but I play games such as skyrim, BF3 and SC2. I would like something balanced not something that has overpowering bass. I would like comfortable headphones since I will be using them from 3-6hr sittings. They also need to be durable. My last pair of headphones broke(the little strap that connects the 2 ear pieces snapped). I am currently looking at the 550 pro's and ath m-50's. My budget is also 100-150

Shure 840 is a nice alternative to the M50, and it has a replaceable cable and better isolation. 

Quote:
Can anyone offer a comparison of the Shure SRH 940 to Sennheiser HD 380? They seem like apples to apples. Both are in the same price range, both over ear, both designed for studio use. Thanks.

380 with better isolation, slightly warmer tilt. 

Quote:
Question on which headphones to get: the Sennhesier HD 598 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250ohm). (or any other suggestions?)

I listen to all sorts of music. I have Grado 225i's for Jazz/Rock/Indie, and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm) mainly for isolation when I'm working, but as of now I use them for everything esle; Hip-hop/Classical/Blues/DnB/Movies/etc.
I'm using a MacbookPro>Fiio e10.

So, I suppose I'm looking for an open headphone primarily for classical & movies, so the HD 598 seem like an obvious choice.
But, I would get more use out of the DT 990's as an all 'rounder, if they can suit my needs. Can these play classical well?? Would the Fiio e10 drive them well enough (250ohm)? Are they good for movies, plugged into self-powered speakers with no additional amp?

Also, comfort is of great importance, as I wear my headphones for hours at a time.
Any advice/ideas? Thanks.

I would consider the DT880 a far better all-rounder than the 990. Much much better mids and highs that aren't as shrieky. The Beyers like to have a bit more grunt in terms of amping in my experience, whereas the Senns don't need quite as much.

Comfort is in the eyes (ears? head?) of the beholder, so it's hard to comment. I find both to be suitable comfortable; depends if you prefer round or oval pads. Also, the pro series in the Beyers are cheaper but tend to clamp harder.

Quote:
Would anybody be kind enough to recommend/ sale me a pair of tolerable headphones (no IE) that for under 18.48

A few cents over budget... so what you do is find a local store to price match and they typically do 10% difference, so you should be ok. If your budget is really so limited that you can't work with that, then you're better off saving up for a while. 
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sennheiser+201&x=0&y=0

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking for any advice on the best way to spend just over £500 to take my rig to the next level. I'll start by telling what I already have; Shure SE530's, Graham Slee Voyager, Cowon S9, FLAC music files and a MacBook Pro 13". I'm pretty sure I want to buy some full sized headphones and have been looking at either spending £300 on the Grado SR 325is and £200 on the Cambridge Audio DACMagic so I could use the USB on my macbook pro to listen. My other idea was spending most the money on the HiFiMAN HE-500 headphones and getting a cheaper FiiO E7 to use with my macbook pro. I would be using the Graham Slee Voyager in conjunction with either of the DAC's. So with this information what do you think would be the best option? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Oh, and I will only be using this for listening to music, not mixing or DJ-ing

Thanks in advance =)

Hmm, or get both the HE-500 and a Grado SR60, and the FiiO D3 (assuming you have optical off your macbook).

Quote:

[size=small] Allo!  I've been debating for a long time about what headphones/headset to get for gaming, and I think I've limited it down to the AD700 and PC360. As much as I want to try out the dt880s or other high-end headphones, they are out of my price range :frowning2:.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Anyways, from what I've read, the ad700 has the end-all best soundstage for gaming, but some of the worst bass. Now, I am going to be playing Battlefield 3, so as much as I want to be able to pinpoint where guys are shootin at me, I also want to be able to hear/feel the explosive shot of a tank. I know 'feeling' and 'soundstage' is an oxymoron, but ultimately I am just wondering if both phones have weak bass, in which case I'll just go for the ad700s.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Of course, if you have a recommendation besides these two under $200, I will check them out too :)! Thanks![/size]

If you don't need the mic, then you can look at the HD558/598/555/595

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #9,280 of 29,490
Requirements for amping are generally overstated on this forum. The e9 should be more than enough grunt for anything except orthos. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #9,281 of 29,490
I have actually looked at the 558s, and from what I've read it appears that they have even slightly better bass than the AD700s.  I think I might be picking up those along with a zalman mic.  They do not require an amp, correct?

And there a considerable step up from 558s to 598s?  (again, looking from a gaming perspective)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you don't need the mic, then you can look at the HD558/598/555/595

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #9,282 of 29,490
I would consider the DT880 a far better all-rounder than the 990. Much much better mids and highs that aren't as shrieky. The Beyers like to have a bit more grunt in terms of amping in my experience, whereas the Senns don't need quite as much.

Comfort is in the eyes (ears? head?) of the beholder, so it's hard to comment. I find both to be suitable comfortable; depends if you prefer round or oval pads. Also, the pro series in the Beyers are cheaper but tend to clamp harder.

so would the Fiio e10 be good enough to drive a 250ohm Beyer properly?
I have no problem with the clamping force of the Pro model, as I just bent out my DT 770 headband.

I'm looking for a different headphone for classical music & movies primarily, and use as an all 'rounder being secondary.
So would the DT 880 be much better at classical and movies than the DT 990?
And considering my setup (MacbookPro>Fiio e10), would a Beyer Pro be better than the HD 598?

(I know better is subjective.... i'm just looking for opinions from those who know headphones)

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #9,283 of 29,490
my friend is looking for a quality pair of headphones between the $200-250 range, over-ear closed type. he has been brought up with the sennheiser sound so i recommended the HD595 and HD25-I, but we're open to other suggestions.

i'm a grado man so that was my first suggestion to him but he says he'd prefer closed cans. he's also planning to get a cheap amp to help drive them, likely a custom cmoy.

i know he normally listens to rock, punk and metal but maybe the right pair of headphones will help broaden his horizons!

thanks everyone.

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #9,284 of 29,490
Hi guys and girls
Erm yeah could i have some help please ?
I have a £300 budget or more if its worth it for some decent headphones, i use my itouch mainly but also my computer and they will be used for travelling, like plane, train and all the rest, okay so far ive seen the : Grado SR325is, Pioneer HDJ 2000, Bose qc3, Bose qc15, Beats pro, Sennheiser HD650.
These are what ive seen and like so far, could anyone help me and tell me which of these is best and why and if you have any other ideas please tell me but saywhy for a actual reason not just because you have them.
Thanks all

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #9,285 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys and girls
Erm yeah could i have some help please ?
I have a £300 budget or more if its worth it for some decent headphones, i use my itouch mainly but also my computer and they will be used for travelling, like plane, train and all the rest, okay so far ive seen the : Grado SR325is, Pioneer HDJ 2000, Bose qc3, Bose qc15, Beats pro, Sennheiser HD650.
These are what ive seen and like so far, could anyone help me and tell me which of these is best and why and if you have any other ideas please tell me but saywhy for a actual reason not just because you have them.
Thanks all

Hello there. Judging by your comments, you plan on using them for travel AND home? That may rule out pairs like the Grado and Sennheiser, because they are open designs and will leak sound and bother everyone around you if you plan on using them in public. Also the Sennheiser requires beefier amplification compared to the Grado, so you will need some sort of headphone amp if you want to go that route. They DO make nice portable headphone amps, but again, its open design might bother people if you want to use it out and about.

Have you seen the Beyerdynamic DT 1350? It's a portable headphone that sounds pretty nice, imo. Small and doesn't require amping. Good enough to use at home regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back