++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #9,256 of 29,490

For gaming I'd suggest an Astro MixAmp down he line. Fantasic little device.
Quote:
Ok, so i'll settle for the Sennheiser HD 598, even if i've noticed that they're slightly more expensive than i thought (175 euro, the 150 euro pricing was a limited offer i missed! :frowning2: ). Will i need an amplifier to connect these with my ps3? I was considering the Sonic Impact T-Amp 2 Gen because of the low price and enthusiastic reviews, but i read somewhere that it doesn't work wonders with headphones. Can anyone confirm this?

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #9,257 of 29,490
Hey all so I am looking to purchase headphones for the price i listed. I listen to techno,rock, house, r&b, and some rap also I watch movies and game(Not a competitive gamer but I play games such as skyrim, BF3 and SC2. I would like something balanced not something that has overpowering bass. I would like comfortable headphones since I will be using them from 3-6hr sittings. They also need to be durable. My last pair of headphones broke(the little strap that connects the 2 ear pieces snapped). I am currently looking at the 550 pro's and ath m-50's. My budget is also 100-150

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #9,258 of 29,490

Quote:
Bought a Cowon J3 and want something nice and portable to go along with it. Been looking mainly at the HD 25-1 II, the IE8 and the GR07. Going to use and abuse Black Friday to see if I can find any of them at a great price.
Anyhow, I don't really know IEM's at all and had trouble finding many comparisons with the GR07 compared to the HD25-1 II in sound, got bit of a better idea with the IE8. Any suggestions?

I listen to classical, rock and metal mainly. Durability is also important I guess, but from what I read none of the above break easily (especially the HD25-1 II). IEM's are obviously more portable but if the HD25-1 II excels in the sound department I'm going for that.

Bumping. Really getting interested in the GR07 after reading about it some more (+ the price is nice). And an Amazon reviewer says they are superior to the HD25 in sound, clearly this much be the case. I get the impression that the GR07 is a jack of all trades and that I can't really go wrong with it, then again that's quite frequent with teh HD25 as well.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #9,259 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I think i'm getting the Sennheiser hd598 but I wonder if they can be easily driven by my sony walkman A845 without an amp... I do have a fiio e5 but don't use it a lot because of the background noise...

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #9,260 of 29,490

It should be more than enough as the 598 is fairly easy to power. It is open though so if you're on the go you may annoy others.
Quote:
Hi guys,

I think i'm getting the Sennheiser hd598 but I wonder if they can be easily driven by my sony walkman A845 without an amp... I do have a fiio e5 but don't use it a lot because of the background noise...

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #9,262 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all so I am looking to purchase headphones for the price i listed. I listen to techno,rock, house, r&b, and some rap also I watch movies and game(Not a competitive gamer but I play games such as skyrim, BF3 and SC2. I would like something balanced not something that has overpowering bass. I would like comfortable headphones since I will be using them from 3-6hr sittings. They also need to be durable. My last pair of headphones broke(the little strap that connects the 2 ear pieces snapped). I am currently looking at the 550 pro's and ath m-50's. My budget is also 100-150

Save a few Dollars
Semi-open headphones
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with Beyer EDT 200 Velour ear pads
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux)
You could get both for $100 total.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #9,263 of 29,490

I was really hoping that the E11 would be enough to power the HD598. And it wasn't bad. But for it being a fairly often recommended headphone w/o amping, it sounds soooo much better with the juice of the E9 than the E11. For me, the HD598 needs an amp.

Just an opinion of a mostly iem guy.

Quote:
It should be more than enough as the 598 is fairly easy to power. It is open though so if you're on the go you may annoy others.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #9,264 of 29,490

I will only use them at home and my dad has a marantz sr-4200 and a me8er mediaplayer on which i can store some music.. Is this one powerful enough to let them sound at their best?
Quote:
I was really hoping that the E11 would be enough to power the HD598. And it wasn't bad. But for it being a fairly often recommended headphone w/o amping, it sounds soooo much better with the juice of the E9 than the E11. For me, the HD598 needs an amp.

Just an opinion of a mostly iem guy.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #9,266 of 29,490
Question on which headphones to get: the Sennhesier HD 598 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250ohm). (or any other suggestions?)

I listen to all sorts of music. I have Grado 225i's for Jazz/Rock/Indie, and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm) mainly for isolation when I'm working, but as of now I use them for everything esle; Hip-hop/Classical/Blues/DnB/Movies/etc.
I'm using a MacbookPro>Fiio e10.

So, I suppose I'm looking for an open headphone primarily for classical & movies, so the HD 598 seem like an obvious choice.
But, I would get more use out of the DT 990's as an all 'rounder, if they can suit my needs. Can these play classical well?? Would the Fiio e10 drive them well enough (250ohm)? Are they good for movies, plugged into self-powered speakers with no additional amp?

Also, comfort is of great importance, as I wear my headphones for hours at a time.
Any advice/ideas? Thanks.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #9,267 of 29,490
The HD25 has a lot more bass slam and sparkly treble than the GR07. I found it had some pretty fierce head clamp, though. The GR07 has really good mids, bass and sub-bass for an iem. The treble is functional though not the most extended. Decent w/ cymbals, not great w/ violins, if that helps. I'd pick the GR07 for comfort alone. The GR07 is built decently, the HD25 like a tank.

Quote:

Bumping. Really getting interested in the GR07 after reading about it some more (+ the price is nice). And an Amazon reviewer says they are superior to the HD25 in sound, clearly this much be the case. I get the impression that the GR07 is a jack of all trades and that I can't really go wrong with it, then again that's quite frequent with teh HD25 as well.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #9,268 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD25 has a lot more bass slam and sparkly treble than the GR07. I found it had some pretty fierce head clamp, though. The GR07 has really good mids, bass and sub-bass for an iem. The treble is functional though not the most extended. Decent w/ cymbals, not great w/ violins, if that helps. I'd pick the GR07 for comfort alone. The GR07 is built decently, the HD25 like a tank.

Thanks for the info, am leaning a bit towards the GR07 for now then. Figured I might as well get something different from my D2000 which is quite bass heavy, relatively speaking. I'm also very susceptible to head clamp issues, the HD650 felt like it was crushing my head while most describe it as having "mild clamping".
Now to wait a week in case amazon's Black Friday puts up the IE8 for 50% off or something equally ridiculous, else I'll just get the GR07.

Just a quick question, how is the cable on the GR07? I have, to date, not had a single portable earphone/headphone that hasn't died due to a cable after a year or two. They have all been cheap though, a bunch of PortaPros were the most expensive ones. Guess I'll have to make good use of the case otherwise.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #9,269 of 29,490

Quote:
Question on which headphones to get: the Sennhesier HD 598 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250ohm). (or any other suggestions?)
I listen to all sorts of music. I have Grado 225i's for Jazz/Rock/Indie, and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm) mainly for isolation when I'm working, but as of now I use them for everything esle; Hip-hop/Classical/Blues/DnB/Movies/etc.
I'm using a MacbookPro>Fiio e10.
So, I suppose I'm looking for an open headphone primarily for classical & movies, so the HD 598 seem like an obvious choice.
But, I would get more use out of the DT 990's as an all 'rounder, if they can suit my needs. Can these play classical well?? Would the Fiio e10 drive them well enough (250ohm)? Are they good for movies, plugged into self-powered speakers with no additional amp?
Also, comfort is of great importance, as I wear my headphones for hours at a time.
Any advice/ideas? Thanks.

Beyerdynamic 250-Ohm headphone, I would say a headphone amplifier is a must 100% of the time.
E10 is rated for up to 300-Ohms.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #9,270 of 29,490

Quote:
Bought a Cowon J3 and want something nice and portable to go along with it. Been looking mainly at the HD 25-1 II, the IE8 and the GR07. Going to use and abuse Black Friday to see if I can find any of them at a great price.
Anyhow, I don't really know IEM's at all and had trouble finding many comparisons with the GR07 compared to the HD25-1 II in sound, got bit of a better idea with the IE8. Any suggestions?

I listen to classical, rock and metal mainly. Durability is also important I guess, but from what I read none of the above break easily (especially the HD25-1 II). IEM's are obviously more portable but if the HD25-1 II excels in the sound department I'm going for that.

I own the GR07s and can vouch for them. They are not only the best pair of IEMs I've ever heard (better than even the ER4, TF10, IE8, DBA-02, and RE0 in my opinion), but they are my benchmark for headphones period. I've never heard the HD25 so I can't comment on those, but the GR07 are excellent.

They're very comfortable to me, and most people don't seem to have any comfort issues with them. Build quality is solid, cabling is quite good. Isolation is pretty good as well.

Sound-wise they come off as very effortless and non-fatiguing, slightly laid-back, yet are still pretty revealing and detailed. Overall they have what I would all a neutral sound. Bass is tight and quick with good punch and extension, midrange is very smooth and natural with a touch of warmth, and the high end is also pretty smooth and clear (though they can be prone to some sibilance, particularly before burn-in). Clarity and separation is good, and they have a pretty spacious soundstage for an IEM. On the subject of burn-in, they sound quite horrid right out of the box, but they improve considerably within a roughly 200 hour burn-in period. The sibilance is all but gone on mine, save for a few tracks (and isn't bothersome in the least when it rears it's head).

For $170 I can't recommend them enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back