++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #9,001 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi. I'm an IEM user but I'm probably gonna get into headphones.

I looked through this website and found good ones such as Denon D2000, ATH M50, DT990 pro, and HFI 580. **I won't be using an amplifier for it.

I want a good isolated headphone but I'm also looking for a stagesound.

I listen to a lot of rap, r&b, club music, electronic and some piano music also.

I will be plugging this into my iPod and my laptop.

What's the best one out of these or do you guys have other recommendations? My budget is 250. thanks.

i posted about this earlier, read this:

Quote:

i've got the same problem as you, and i decided on the AIAIAI TMA-1, mainly for the durability, portability and overall claim that it's a rather good but underrated headphone. the only thing with the tma-1 is that it's dark by default, so a little EQing of the treble and highs is in order. if you don't mind using an EQ, these are probably fine. i've yet to get mine, but i'm anxious to receive them.

if i hadn't decided on the tma-1's, i'd probably have gone for either the m80 or the ms400, preferring the latter.

the m80 doesn't seem as portable, considering that it's made of metal and seems quite large. however, they do come with a hardshell casing. don't know much about them other than that.

the ms400 is said to have quite good isolation, comfort and weight, plus it looks smaller, but doesn't seem as durable. an interesting fact about the ms400 is that it has carbon fiber in it. i've never heard of nor seen that in other headphones, so that caught my attention.

the HD 25-1 II is pretty widely recommended as an all arounder (with user replaceable parts) and that signature senn sound, but i don't like the idea of a split headband. i have fluffy hair, so the minimal padding on headphones such as grado's and the tma-1 doesn't bother me. also, i don't much like the look of them; the minimalistic touch of the tma-1 was more down my alley.

it might be worth it to mention that the tma-1 has a detachable standard 3.5mm cord, which was something i needed in my headphones. 

there are a lot of $200 options, you should check out this comparison thread to get a better idea/explore some options.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #9,002 of 29,490
Hello, I am looking for headphones to use for my desktop computer. I am mostly going to use this computer to play video games, watch HD movies, and to listen to a lot of orchestra music (mostly video game and movie soundtracks). For example, lately I've been listening to Video Games Live.
Right now, the computer only has onboard audio. The highest quality I can set it to is 24 bits, 192000 Hz. I'm not sure if that matters, but I figured I should post it. I did not buy a sound card, but I may buy one later.
I have $120 - $160 to spend.

Thanks in advance

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #9,004 of 29,490
That's a pretty solid recommendation to be honest. Though I liked the RP-DH1200 more when I was DJing. 

The TMA-1 and M50 are both more portable than the DH (or DJ) 1200, but I find the M50 boring and depending on what kind of music you like the TMA-1 might be too dark.

If you want a good DJ headphone how about the Allen & Heath Xone 53? They outdid my RP-DH1200 and are (currently) only $25 more.

Quote:
Hello...

asked a friend who is a Dj and he recommended the technics rp-dj1200. how does it compare to the AiAiAi TMA-1, Audio-Tecnica ATH-M50?

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #9,006 of 29,490
Hello,
I am looking for new earphones. I v never owned any good ones in the past, so I don't have any idea about the brands/products. Bass and  comfort are my first preferences. I v searched a bit and narrowed it down to these : Sony MDREX41EX and Sony MDREX310LP [ I do have budget constraint : 50~70 $ ]

So I would like to know more about them if anyone has used them, a review kind of a thing. Feel free to suggest any other product within the mentioned budget.
Thanks.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #9,007 of 29,490
It was my favorite headphone when I was DJing unless the club was ridiculously loud. I then grabbed the HD 25-1 II.

Quote:
Thanks MorbidToaster...

Yes, about the Xone 53 just found out about them today. Guess ill go to guitar center and try them out... the specs look good on paper. There so many options its very hard to decide looking for the best.

Thanks again.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #9,008 of 29,490
I'm looking for some help on buying headphones for $300 or less. 

I'm going to be listening to them on my PC (I'm buying a Xonar Essence ST soundcard), iPhone 4, and iPod Classic. I enjoy punk, jazz, classical, classic rock, and blues. Most of all, however, I love listening to heavy metal. I love complex, extreme metal bands like Ulcerate, Blut aus Nord, Portal, Altars of Plagues, Deathspell Omega, and the likes. I also like to game, so it would be nice to get a pair that would be conducive to that. It'd be nice to quickly identify the location of a sound, when I game.

I'm a basshead, and I love as much bass as possible when listening to rock and metal. I also want to be able to hear the details in genres like classical and jazz, though, so I suppose there'd be some sort of compromise there. Because I'll be listening to these headphones when I go out, I'd like them to be circumaural headphones.

And so I have two questions: (i) given the above information, what headphones would be my best bet? (ideally, I'd like multiple recommendations) and (ii) what kind of portable amp would I need for these headphones when listening to the iPhone or iPod?

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #9,009 of 29,490
Denon D2000
or
Ultrasone Pro 900

i like bass.
i listen to rock, indy, electronic, classic rock, accoustic

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #9,010 of 29,490
They both have a ton of bass but I think the D2000 is a better choice as it works for more genres. The Pro 900 is too 'fake' sounding for me when it comes to acoustic type music.

Quote:
Denon D2000
or
Ultrasone Pro 900

i like bass.
i listen to rock, indy, electronic, classic rock, accoustic

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #9,011 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, I am looking for headphones to use for my desktop computer. I am mostly going to use this computer to play video games, watch HD movies, and to listen to a lot of orchestra music (mostly video game and movie soundtracks). For example, lately I've been listening to Video Games Live.
Right now, the computer only has onboard audio. The highest quality I can set it to is 24 bits, 192000 Hz. I'm not sure if that matters, but I figured I should post it. I did not buy a sound card, but I may buy one later.
I have $120 - $160 to spend.

Thanks in advance

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #9,012 of 29,490
Hi all, any input is appreciated.

I am looking for some over ear headphones (which will completely cover the ear), I will be using them with my guitar and amp and listening to music on my phone and Ipod but mainly phone which is a HTC Salsa. Style of music is generally Blues and Rock. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd mainly.

My guitar is a Gibson Les Paul and the amp is a blackstar ht-5.

I have a budget of around £200 I can go higher if I need to.

My thinking was the Dre beats studio, though i'm guessing after reading bits on this site they wouldn't be recommended?

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #9,014 of 29,490
Listen to mostly Jpop, piano cover, pop, classical, baroque and some techno (not the heavy ones). 
Tried the DT770 too much bass (the punch too much for me), maybe a lil bit bassier than SRH 440 which i own now will do.

2nd post in this thread.... still can't pull the trigger..... 
frown.gif

Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD600
Shure SRH840
Shure SRH940
Beyer DT1350
or any headphones. will probably wait and get the Fiio E17 first then will only upgrade from there. 

Now in favour of HD598 and SRH940.... Tried the SRH940 not punchy enough but if possible will get it and burn-in (maybe it works like to my SRH440?)

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #9,015 of 29,490
The 2 bolded ones would be my choices for your preferences. Whether you need open or closed they've got you covered.

Quote:
Listen to mostly Jpop, piano cover, america's top 40, baroque and some techno (not the heavy ones). 
Tried the DT770 too much bass (the punch too much for me), maybe a lil bit bassier than SRH 440 which i own now will do.

2nd post in this thread.... still can't pull the trigger..... 
frown.gif

Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD600
Shure SRH840
Shure SRH940
Beyer DT1350
or any headphones. will probably wait and get the Fiio E17 first then will only upgrade from there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back