++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 2, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #8,791 of 29,490
Ultrasone Pro 900? XB700? AIAIAI TMA-1 maybe.

Quote:
Hi, I've been looking around for some closed headphones but I can't just seem to find any that meet my needs. I have previously owned both Sennheiser HD25-II and ATH M50's and I just find both of them too uncomfortable for me. I mainly listen to hip hop and other music with a lot of bass. I have been looking at the DT770 Pro's as they are meant to be great for bass plus extremely comfortable however I also take my headphones out a lot and I think they are a bit too big. I would also like the headphones to have velour ear pads or have a velour earpad mod as I can't stand leather ear pads as they make my ears sweat a lot. The maximum I will spend is £400 so if anyone knows any good closed headphones that meet my specifications please post them in here. Thanks, all help will be greatly appreciated.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #8,792 of 29,490
Hey everyone. I'm looking for suggestions for open headphones. If possible, please include an amp suggestion as well. Thanks.​

Music genres: 25% electronic, 65% rock/post-rock. The remaining 10% belongs to everything but hip-hop, jazz, and reggae.
Price: $600, including an amp.
Sound preferences: My favorite headphone/earphone I have heard is the Vsonic GR07. I am looking for something with a better soundstage (hence open headphones) and perhaps a less soft dynamic range. I prefer a warm and sweet sound signature.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #8,793 of 29,490
Music genres: I listen to mostly Rap/Hip-Hop, Dub step, and Hardcore
Portablity: I don't really mind as long as there not obnoxiously large.
Price range:  Around $150
Closed/Open: Closed
Sound preference: I don't really have anything to compare it to these would be my first step into hi-fi audio equipment.

The source would be my iPod touch 4G. I have seen a lot about the Ultrasone DJ1s would these be good? Is there a sound difference between the regular and the pro and if so which one would be worth getting?  If I would need an amp i have been looking at the Fiio e11 unless someone recommends something else.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #8,796 of 29,490
Hi guys, I found a deal for the relatively new Sennheiser HD 518 for only $100.00 Should i grab these?

For reference I previously owned the HD 428, Sony XB500, as well as the Shure SRH440. Short and simple, for the Sony XB500, too much bass muddy mids and highs. Next I thought the HD428 was extremely comfortable since i do wear glasses, and it had a very non fatiguing, laid back sound with clear mids and highs which I all appreciated very much. But on the downside i had to return them due to the extremely brittle plastic feeling and small bass. Next I tried out the Shure SRH440. The bass was fine and had some decent impact and was sufficient, mids and highs were OH VERY present. The extremely shallow cups caused extreme physical discomfort and that sharp peak in the trebles killed it for me though. I felt like they were a bit too bright and edgy for my sensitive ears and felt quite fatiguing for me. I really appreciated the HD 428s mids and highs, maybe with a bit more soundstage, and bass thats not overkill like the Sony XB models but a bit stronger than the SRH 440s. Im only willing to spend $100 on something that fits the profile and is very comfortable and i found the HD 518 on sale. Would these fit my needs?  You could say im looking for something thats right in between a M50 and AD700.  Would greatly appreciate any detailed input.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #8,797 of 29,490
Currently looking for a studio monitoring headphone that also doubles as a musical headphone?

I've owned the Audio Technica M50 twice already (lost a pair & the other I sold to upgrade to my Ultrasone Pro 900) and was wondering if I should consider purchasing them for the third time?

Budget around $100-300

I've been recommended the Sennheiser HD598, Shure 840 and Shure 940.

Would these be good upgrades from the M50?

Also, any other recommendations would be helpful!

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #8,798 of 29,490

Quote:
Currently looking for a studio monitoring headphone that also doubles as a musical headphone?
I've owned the Audio Technica M50 twice already (lost a pair & the other I sold to upgrade to my Ultrasone Pro 900) and was wondering if I should consider purchasing them for the third time?
Budget around $100-300
I've been recommended the Sennheiser HD598, Shure 840 and Shure 940.
Would these be good upgrades from the M50?
Also, any other recommendations would be helpful!

Audio Technica has just came out with new closed headphones A500X, A700X, A900X
And the new open headphones are the T line.

What are you plugging your headphones into?

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #8,799 of 29,490

Quote:
Audio Technica has just came out with new closed headphones A500X, A700X, A900X
And the new open headphones are the T line.

What are you plugging your headphones into?

I am currently using a FiiO E10.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #8,800 of 29,490
Hey I had Koss pro dj100 and actually loved them, but some son of a bitch mugged me and stole my backpack...with my cans on it, so I'm forced to look for a good replacement...
Let's put it like this:
Music Genres: Mostly rock: classic rock, alt rock, indie. But also classical and a 10% electronic.
Sound Preference: I loved Koss's mid range so i'd like something like that.Good clear, accurate bass, not boomy, and clear crisp highs. Also a good soundstage and good instrument separation.
Equipment: ipod, cmoybb and LOD
Price top: Let's say a hundred bucks, but could be little bit more.
Current options: Sony mdr-v6
                          Shure srh440
                          Panasonics RP-HTF600
                          or again Koss pro dj100
 Wich one would fit better my preferences, or do you have another good option?? Best regards.

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #8,801 of 29,490
So a question on open cans: I currently only have closed cans and IEMs, so open cans are sort of the next frontier so to speak. I'm still in the early stages, but realistically, my budget would be <350. Also, I don't currently own an amp, so they would have to be drivable by something relatively cheap, like a Fiio E9 or something. Some popular ones I've heard of are the Senn HD600s, the AKG K701/2/Q701s, the Beyer 880s, the Senn HD598s, and obviously Grados. Can anyone help me? Also, I've read a couple lukewarm reviews comparing the K701s to some of the others, but I've also read that the Q701 model is an upgrade over them, so how do the Q701s compare?

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #8,802 of 29,490

Quote:
Preference22 said:

Hello there,

First of all, I'm new to the forum and read a few reviews yesterday and today. Awesome work on the reviews, very detailed!

Okay, the reason why I posted this: I bought myself an iPhone 4S on the release and now I'm looking for a portable headphone (over-ear or on-ear)!
So what it has to have or has to do:

- Portable headphone (no earplugs!): Over-ear or On-ear
- Cable should be 1.5 meter or longer
- They should be comfortable to have on for a longer time (2-4 hours)
- I travel a lot in public, so prefer closed ones! (Riding a bicycle a lot, so isolation for the wind would be awesome!)
- I listen a lot to Drum & Bass or Dubstep, so a good bass is a must :)!
- The headphones MUST have a remote+mic in the cable. This is so I can activate Siri without having to take my iPhone out of my pocket! (So no gaming mic on the side!)
- Budget is around 120 euros or 160 dollars!

The headphones I looked at and might consider are:
- Sennheiser PX200-II
- Sennheiser HD238i
- AKG K518DJ
- AKG K430

So, please give me your idea or thoughts. I'm standing open for basically any suggestion!

Thanks from The Netherlands!

Best isolation and durability out of those would probably be the K518 (aka K81).

Thank you! Made my decision and will be ordering the AKG shortly :)!

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #8,803 of 29,490
The Q701 is better (IMO). You get the same K701 sound but with more bass. Not enough to be offensive, but they're rough to drive and will tear apart badly recorded music. 

My suggestion for stuff like this is always the 598. Somewhat forgiving and is an excellent all rounder without being boring like the 701 or DT 880 can sometimes be described as.

Quote:
So a question on open cans: I currently only have closed cans and IEMs, so open cans are sort of the next frontier so to speak. I'm still in the early stages, but realistically, my budget would be <350. Also, I don't currently own an amp, so they would have to be drivable by something relatively cheap, like a Fiio E9 or something. Some popular ones I've heard of are the Senn HD600s, the AKG K701/2/Q701s, the Beyer 880s, the Senn HD598s, and obviously Grados. Can anyone help me? Also, I've read a couple lukewarm reviews comparing the K701s to some of the others, but I've also read that the Q701 model is an upgrade over them, so how do the Q701s compare?

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #8,804 of 29,490
So my choice has basically come down to the HE-300 and the HD600. I'm leaning towards the HE-300s just because they seem to be a little more fun sounding , that and im all for trying something new that a lot of.people haven't tried. Just want more of an all rounder since my musical tastes are extremely diverse. Should I just buy them and.live with my decision? Or is there something better in the price range?

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #8,805 of 29,490

Hello!

I have been thinking about getting a pair of decent headphones for listening at home, as a complement to my ViSang R03 and PortaPro (Kramer+quarter mod) that I use on the move. The two most important aspects are SQ (of course) and comfort, and my budget caps at $100 for this, could stretch to $140 if it's really worth it (Poor student life, I hate you). The only decent source I have is a Clip+ which will have to suffice for now until I get the economy to get myself decent hifi equipment. Other than this I have my laptop, but no DAC. This will not have to fit within the $100 but will be invested in later, would the E10 be a good choice? Would be good to use the USB with my laptop, since it only has a common analog port and a on-board sound card among the worse.

Listening style: I would like the sound to be on the neutral to warmer side, a wide soundstage and they should be able to deliver crisp, detailed highs without stepping too far from the natural sound. My preferred style of music is very wide and includes IDM, classical piano, jazz, classic rock, indie rock, reggae, shoegaze and much more.

Just going to throw out a couple of cans that I think might fit my listening style, even tho I'm very new in the area. Please tell me your opinion, and of course recommend me whatever else that you think might fit:

Sennheiser HD555
Denon D-1000
Koss Pro DJ100
AKG K240
Grados SR60i

Any help or input from you guys would be very helpful!

Thank you,
Edvard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back