++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 1, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #8,761 of 29,490

Hi there everyone!

I'm a newbie here so I am not very familiar with technical jargons when it comes to headphones, so my apologies if i'm not clear about what I want. I'm planning to buy a new pair of headphones, this being my first foray into headphones territory and I will need advice from you good folks. Before this, I have always used IEMs like the ATH-CKM55. I have always disliked headphones but after expereincing my boyfriend's ATH-M50, my perception has changed. Music has never been so beautiful. 

So now I would like to get a pair of headphones myself  but eventhough I like the sound of the m50, I dont like its aesthetics. I dont like the clunky plastic look. I have considered the beats because i like its sleekness but I find the sound quality underwhelming and the bass too overpowering, muddying the other aspects of the music.

So now I'm considering the Grado SR325is and the beyerdynamic DT990, both of them are aesthetically pleasing to me: the Grado has a cool retro look and the DT990 can be customised. I have also read reviews and they seem to have good sound too. Could you guys help me to decide which pair of headphones are more suitable for me?

Music genres: I listen to bands like Muse, Florence+the machines, Hurts, Depeche Mode, Mew. Sometimes trance (Daft Punk, Tiesto) and instrumentals (game soundtracks). When studying I listen to classical music. Not a fan of hip hop or rap.
Portablity: I would bring it around but I have enough space in my bag so I dont mind carrying big cans.
Price range:  I'm willing to spend money on quality headphones as long as they're not ridiculously priced and super rare.
Closed/Open: I dont have much of a preference. Less noise leakage would be good though.
Sound preference: I enjoy the sound for the M50 so I would like something similar. It performs very beautifully when it comes to classical music especially. However, I noticed it does not play the song Undisclosed Desires very well. The drums are abit muffled. Vocals also seem to feel less sharp. Overall the song sounds abit muffled. I have no idea why though.

Thanks alot for the help guys =)

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #8,762 of 29,490
HD 598 hands down. Huge soundstage, great detail and clarity for the price range and comfort is top notch. 

Quote:
Hey all!
Looking for something that will do classical really well, especially violin and cello solos, quartets, baroque, etc. In my headfi search, these instruments/genres been the dealbreakers for me with lots of iems. My preference would be not amped. I'm open to either closed or open. Doesn't really need to be portable. Looking to spend between 150-300.  Their needs to be clarity and detail but not necessarily a clinical sound. Comfort is key too since I have a large noggin. I have a descent pair of iem so I'm really only looking for something that does specifically that kind of music really well.
Thanks!

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #8,764 of 29,490
Pro 900. They beat the other 2 to a pulp as far as bass impact goes. Trance, House, Hardstyle, etc. Anything with a really good kick will knock your head off. And when it drops in a DubStep tune...it drops.

Quote:
In response to MorbidToaster: I would like hard hitting!

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #8,765 of 29,490
That's great to hear. I'll actually will be going to J&R during my lunch-break on Wednesday so I'll ask around for the Pro 900 but if for some reason they aren't in stock...would there be headphones near the price range of 250$? I'm not sure if J&R will have those headphones(Ultrasone Pro 900) in their audio section but I don't wish to walk away without a new pair of cans being my SR80 are dead (right side completely produces no sound now) and the XB1000 are imports.

Sorry to make the request more annoying.

Thank You for everything!

Quote:
Pro 900. They beat the other 2 to a pulp as far as bass impact goes. Trance, House, Hardstyle, etc. Anything with a really good kick will knock your head off. And when it drops in a DubStep tune...it drops.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #8,766 of 29,490
The Denons are pretty good impact wise (in between the other 2). You may be able to talk them down to 250.

Quote:
That's great to hear. I'll actually will be going to J&R during my lunch-break on Wednesday so I'll ask around for the Pro 900 but if for some reason they aren't in stock...would there be headphones near the price range of 250$? I'm not sure if J&R will have those headphones(Ultrasone Pro 900) in their audio section but I don't wish to walk away without a new pair of cans being my SR80 are dead (right side completely produces no sound now) and the XB1000 are imports.

Sorry to make the request more annoying.

Thank You for everything!

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #8,767 of 29,490
forgive me for being off topic but i need advice and don't want to start a new thread so here it is.

i have a fubar II usb dac.
i have two amps.
the fubar only has 1 set of rca out
what is the best way to connect both at the same time and be able to switch between without unplugging the rca's from one amp and then plugging them into the other?

do rca splitters degrade sound quality?
whats a good kind to buy?
any other thoughts or ideas?

thanks guys

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #8,768 of 29,490
Hey all! 

i m considering buy a new headphone maybe under $200-250
30%post rock
30%punk
20%electronic 
20%pop

i already have a Gardo SR80i, its good for indoor listening, wut i want is a close headphone.
sooooo.. any recommend?     hows M50?

Thxxxxxxxxxxx!

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #8,769 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all! 
30%post rock
30%punk
20%electronic 
20%pop
i already have a Gardo SR80i, its good for indoor listening, wut i want is a close headphone.
Thxxxxxxxxxxx!

What source(s) are these headphones going to be plugged into?

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #8,770 of 29,490

Quote:
I decided to go for a open circumaural (i want to hear external sounds) headphones with detachable cable, and i will go for the Sennheiser HD 598 for 143€, but any other recommendation before I buy this, with all of those features (circumaural, open, detachable cable) and around same price or more, or less price if it worth the extra cash)?

Another one to consider would be the AKG K702.

Quote:
Hey all!
Looking for something that will do classical really well, especially violin and cello solos, quartets, baroque, etc. In my headfi search, these instruments/genres been the dealbreakers for me with lots of iems. My preference would be not amped. I'm open to either closed or open. Doesn't really need to be portable. Looking to spend between 150-300.  Their needs to be clarity and detail but not necessarily a clinical sound. Comfort is key too since I have a large noggin. I have a descent pair of iem so I'm really only looking for something that does specifically that kind of music really well.
Thanks!

A Sennheiser HD598 or Audio Technica AD900.

Quote:

Hi there everyone!

I'm a newbie here so I am not very familiar with technical jargons when it comes to headphones, so my apologies if i'm not clear about what I want. I'm planning to buy a new pair of headphones, this being my first foray into headphones territory and I will need advice from you good folks. Before this, I have always used IEMs like the ATH-CKM55. I have always disliked headphones but after expereincing my boyfriend's ATH-M50, my perception has changed. Music has never been so beautiful. 

So now I would like to get a pair of headphones myself  but eventhough I like the sound of the m50, I dont like its aesthetics. I dont like the clunky plastic look. I have considered the beats because i like its sleekness but I find the sound quality underwhelming and the bass too overpowering, muddying the other aspects of the music.

So now I'm considering the Grado SR325is and the beyerdynamic DT990, both of them are aesthetically pleasing to me: the Grado has a cool retro look and the DT990 can be customised. I have also read reviews and they seem to have good sound too. Could you guys help me to decide which pair of headphones are more suitable for me?

Music genres: I listen to bands like Muse, Florence+the machines, Hurts, Depeche Mode, Mew. Sometimes trance (Daft Punk, Tiesto) and instrumentals (game soundtracks). When studying I listen to classical music. Not a fan of hip hop or rap.
Portablity: I would bring it around but I have enough space in my bag so I dont mind carrying big cans.
Price range:  I'm willing to spend money on quality headphones as long as they're not ridiculously priced and super rare.
Closed/Open: I dont have much of a preference. Less noise leakage would be good though.
Sound preference: I enjoy the sound for the M50 so I would like something similar. It performs very beautifully when it comes to classical music especially. However, I noticed it does not play the song Undisclosed Desires very well. The drums are abit muffled. Vocals also seem to feel less sharp. Overall the song sounds abit muffled. I have no idea why though.

Head to your nearest music store which should have some Beyers for you to try out. A few others to consider:
Ultrasone HFi780
Shure 840/940
V-Moda Crossfades or M80
Phiaton something

Quote:
forgive me for being off topic but i need advice and don't want to start a new thread so here it is.

i have a fubar II usb dac.
i have two amps.
the fubar only has 1 set of rca out
what is the best way to connect both at the same time and be able to switch between without unplugging the rca's from one amp and then plugging them into the other?

do rca splitters degrade sound quality?
whats a good kind to buy?
any other thoughts or ideas?

thanks guys

A splitter shouldn't really degrade quality if you're plugging into two amps. You might possibly run into a ground loop though.

Quote:
Hey all! 

30%post rock
30%punk
20%electronic 
20%pop

Thxxxxxxxxxxx!

The M50 is a fine choice. Also consider a Shure 840, M-Audio Q40, Ultrasone HFi580.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #8,771 of 29,490

Hi everyone!

I just joined Head-fi.org yesterday, so please bare with me!

I've bought many cheap headphones but after a long time use my  ears starts to hurt. Due to the fact that they were cheap, they were easily damaged and some of them even came apart.  

This time I want to buy new headphones that are worth the buy, and I expect them to be slightly expensive.

I've used Sennheiser headphones before and I really like it. I look forward to buy the Sennheiser HD 555, HD 518, HD 558, HD 598 or the HD 448.

I listen mostly to Pop music, so I guess that cool "punchy bass feeling is not necessary, but it's a bonus if they have it!

I'm looking for comfort and the clear- & crisp sound. Again, the sound and the comfort are very important. I'll use the headphones with my iPhone andiPad

I'm new to this topic, so please answer my questions with patience.

1. The Sennheiser HD 555, HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598 are for Hifi's and TV's. Will they work fine with my iPhone and iPad?

2. The Sennheiser HD 555, HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598 are "open" headphones. From what I've known, they will leak out sound (correct me if I'm wrong). I'll normally use the headphones in school, on the go, on the tram and at home. I always listen with a very low volume. Can a person sitting next to me hear the music? If yes, can I "turn off" that feature or is the "closed headphones" like the HD 448 the only choice for me?

3. How loud are "open" headphones? If I listen with extremely low volume, will a person sitting next to me hear the music? If you include all the noises in a classroom or in a tram, will they still hear the music?

4. And finally, which one do you think is the best for me and worth the buy? 

Thanks, I'll appreciate your answers! 
size]

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #8,772 of 29,490
Hello there,

First of all, I'm new to the forum and read a few reviews yesterday and today. Awesome work on the reviews, very detailed!

Okay, the reason why I posted this: I bought myself an iPhone 4S on the release and now I'm looking for a portable headphone (over-ear or on-ear)!
So what it has to have or has to do:

- Portable headphone (no earplugs!): Over-ear or On-ear
- Cable should be 1.5 meter or longer
- They should be comfortable to have on for a longer time (2-4 hours)
- I travel a lot in public, so prefer closed ones! (Riding a bicycle a lot, so isolation for the wind would be awesome!)
- I listen a lot to Drum & Bass or Dubstep, so a good bass is a must :)!
- The headphones MUST have a remote+mic in the cable. This is so I can activate Siri without having to take my iPhone out of my pocket! (So no gaming mic on the side!)
- Budget is around 120 euros or 160 dollars!

The headphones I looked at and might consider are:
- Sennheiser PX200-II
- Sennheiser HD238i
- AKG K518DJ
- AKG K430

So, please give me your idea or thoughts. I'm standing open for basically any suggestion!

Thanks from The Netherlands!

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #8,773 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi there everyone!

ATH WS 70? or the sennheiser hd25ii

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #8,774 of 29,490
Sorry i know that this thread is for headphones but im new to head fi and is not used to using it
I hope some of you can give me advice on buying in ears.
Im currently interested in the shure se535 and would like to purchase them
However my country sells them for 729sgd, which is 572USD
I would like to know if they can be bought cheaper online? Im just afraid of scams so do you guys have some trusted online stores?
PS. Im currently living in singapore so the shipping cost should be included too

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #8,775 of 29,490
Interested in buying a pair of headphones dedicated to PC gaming. I currently own a pair of M50s, which apparently are terrible for gaming according to http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-czs-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone I own a Tubemagic D1 DAC and use it as a headphone amp/DAC via the optical port of my desktop's motherboard. I could care less about price, going through a rut right now and could use a little pick me up so long as it's a worthwhile investment. I don't have a sound card nor a Dolby Headphone Amp/set up though I could pick one up if needed. As for games I play, Witcher 2, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2. I'm looking to buy MW3, Skyrim, and Mass Effect 3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back