++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 1, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #8,747 of 29,490

Hi folks,
First of all, hats off for this wonderful site and your helping hands to newbies in making buying decisions. It is truly a wonderful experience to browse these forums and learn from all of you.

So, I am planning to buy two things:

1. A pair of audiophile (preferably portable) headphones. Budget is under $150.
My choices:
I have zeroed in on Sennheiser HD558 after reading a lot of reviews. However, I have a few questions about it:
   -- Do I need to buy a portable headphone amp for the HD558 ? If yes, will the Fiio E7 suffice for that ?
   -- I understand that the HD558 is not a portable headphone. Can any suggest to me a portable equivalent of the HD558 within the same price range ? I would much rather go for a portable pair of headphones for the same quality if possible. But I don't want to compromise on the quality and would stick with the HD558 in case the quality goes down for a portable equivalent for the same price.

2. A portable headphone amp. Budget under 100$.
My choice(s):
Fiio E7 USB DAC: Heard a lot of positive reviews about it and I have made up my mind for it. Main reason for buying this is that I also listen to music quite frequently on my laptop so a USB DAC/AMP is what I need.

Basically I want to know if the Fiio E7 + Sennheiser HD 558(along with its portable equivalent) is a viable combination or not.

Thanks for your patience in reading through my post !

Have a great day!
//S

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #8,748 of 29,490
This is just my opinion, may differ from others but; I have the 595s( exact same as your 558 if you remove the inner foam((or is that the 555))) Either way, with mine i notice almost no difference from my computers onboard sound, even when docked onto the E9 amp. Ill admit there is the very very slightest difference overall, but its only barely noticeable on the occasion. However if your laptop dac is kinda poor, then by all means feel free to do so, but im not so sure its nessecary.  

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #8,749 of 29,490
The 5xx series hardly benefits from amping. The 6xx is where you see big jumps.

The 598 (and the like) are super easy to power.

Quote:
This is just my opinion, may differ from others but; I have the 595s( exact same as your 558 if you remove the inner foam((or is that the 555))) Either way, with mine i notice almost no difference from my computers onboard sound, even when docked onto the E9 amp. Ill admit there is the very very slightest difference overall, but its only barely noticeable on the occasion. However if your laptop dac is kinda poor, then by all means feel free to do so, but im not so sure its nessecary.  

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #8,750 of 29,490
Hello guys!
I'm looking for a pair of headphones which leak THE LEAST POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF SOUND and have nice mids within a $1100 budget.
yes, that would usually mean that i need a pair of closed cans, but i already own a pair of Audio-technica W1000X and upgrading to D7000 is not an option (i don't like their mids), Ultrasone Edition 8 sound really unnatural to me.
So i guess i should consider some open-type headphones. The question is - which of them leak less?

thanks.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #8,751 of 29,490
Hey all,

First post, but hopefully not my last!

I'm currently using http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-SJ55-BK-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00475S08S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320168398&sr=8-1 and they're not bad. I got them because I wanted something easily collapsable to stuff into a bag for my commute.

Now I'm looking for a dedicated pair for the office. I don't want to spend over $200, but I'll go to $250 if the difference is worth it. I'd prefer closed-back so as not to disturb my co-workers. 

If the genres of music I listen to would be helpful, It kind of ranges between heavily vocal stuff (Imogen Heap, Patrick Wolf) to post-rock and post-metal (Giant Squid, Maybeshewill) to electronica and the ilk (Deadmau5, Skrillex) to even prog rock (Yes, The Mars Volta, King Crimson). I want something versatile and I guess I would not be well served by a bassy pair.

Thanks for any advice. :) Hopefully this is enough info.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #8,752 of 29,490
Thanks guys! That was very good information. Other question I have is: how do you take your HD5xx series when you travel. Is it a really big pain to move them around. It would have been nice if they too came with hard top folding boxes (like some of the audiotechnica ones). But then I guess, I should not base my decision on this small thing, am I right?

I am 99.9% sure of getting the HD558, the remaining 0.1% is just because I am wondering about how I will travel with it in case I have to.

//S

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #8,753 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi folks,
First of all, hats off for this wonderful site and your helping hands to newbies in making buying decisions. It is truly a wonderful experience to browse these forums and learn from all of you.

So, I am planning to buy two things:

1. A pair of audiophile (preferably portable) headphones. Budget is under $150.
My choices:
I have zeroed in on Sennheiser HD558 after reading a lot of reviews. However, I have a few questions about it:
   -- Do I need to buy a portable headphone amp for the HD558 ? If yes, will the Fiio E7 suffice for that ?
   -- I understand that the HD558 is not a portable headphone. Can any suggest to me a portable equivalent of the HD558 within the same price range ? I would much rather go for a portable pair of headphones for the same quality if possible. But I don't want to compromise on the quality and would stick with the HD558 in case the quality goes down for a portable equivalent for the same price.

2. A portable headphone amp. Budget under 100$.
My choice(s):
Fiio E7 USB DAC: Heard a lot of positive reviews about it and I have made up my mind for it. Main reason for buying this is that I also listen to music quite frequently on my laptop so a USB DAC/AMP is what I need.

Basically I want to know if the Fiio E7 + Sennheiser HD 558(along with its portable equivalent) is a viable combination or not.

Thanks for your patience in reading through my post !

Have a great day!
//S

An amp isn't strictly necessary, but since you'll be doing a bunch of listening from your computer, then a portable dac/amp isn't a bad idea an it'll cover all your bases. The FiiO e7 and iBasso D-Zero would probably be the main options to look at in this price point.

Quote:
Hello guys!
I'm looking for a pair of headphones which leak THE LEAST POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF SOUND and have nice mids within a $1100 budget.
yes, that would usually mean that i need a pair of closed cans, but i already own a pair of Audio-technica W1000X and upgrading to D7000 is not an option (i don't like their mids), Ultrasone Edition 8 sound really unnatural to me.
So i guess i should consider some open-type headphones. The question is - which of them leak less?

thanks.

You'd be better off asking around in the specific flagship headphones at this budget point. I can't really think of any open headphones that don't leak... maybe Sennheiser?

Quote:
Hey all,

First post, but hopefully not my last!

I'm currently using http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-SJ55-BK-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00475S08S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320168398&sr=8-1 and they're not bad. I got them because I wanted something easily collapsable to stuff into a bag for my commute.

Now I'm looking for a dedicated pair for the office. I don't want to spend over $200, but I'll go to $250 if the difference is worth it. I'd prefer closed-back so as not to disturb my co-workers. 

If the genres of music I listen to would be helpful, It kind of ranges between heavily vocal stuff (Imogen Heap, Patrick Wolf) to post-rock and post-metal (Giant Squid, Maybeshewill) to electronica and the ilk (Deadmau5, Skrillex) to even prog rock (Yes, The Mars Volta, King Crimson). I want something versatile and I guess I would not be well served by a bassy pair.

Thanks for any advice. :) Hopefully this is enough info.

Just because I haven't recommended it in a while, Phiaton PS500. Super comfy, decent isolation, long cord, good looks.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #8,754 of 29,490
Good day everyone.

I'm a new user so I'll introduce myself as David
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm more then happy to join the community and hopefully I'll be of use.

I do seek guidance for a new pair of headphones. I'll list what I actually listen to and other related information.

Music Type:
Dubstep
Dance
Techno
Trance

Previously owned headphones:
Grados SR80(right side sounds like static then dies out only left side is working as of now planing on fixing it myself)
SteelSeries Siberia V1(mostly used for FPS games but did use it for music listening eventually right hand side sound died)

My budget for a new pair of headphones is around 400$ or so. I'm not looking to go over that to be honest. I prefer:

Corded
Over-the-ear
Headband rest on head
Open or Noise Cancel (either is fine)

I'm open to any brand as long as the pair of headphones can play the above genre well. If for some reason the headphones being advised to me requires a amp of some sort in order to work at optimal levels, then pleae also list as well. I do intend to use the headphones with my Samsung Galaxy SII while going to work and then connect to a amp once home. So...I guess the headphone needs to play well on something as simple as an ipod with decent sound volume but truly shine when connected to a amp. If theres such a thing as an amp for a mp3 player you can mention that as well if it will help the headphone be used on something like an ipod.

I wish to send my thanks now for taking the time to read this post.

Thank You!

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #8,755 of 29,490
Denon D2000/5000, Ultrasone Pro 750/900, XB1000.

How do you like your bass? Giant subwoofer? Really hard hitting kick drums? 

Quote:
Good day everyone.

I'm a new user so I'll introduce myself as David
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm more then happy to join the community and hopefully I'll be of use.

I do seek guidance for a new pair of headphones. I'll list what I actually listen to and other related information.

Music Type:
Dubstep
Dance
Techno
Trance

Previously owned headphones:
Grados SR80(right side sounds like static then dies out only left side is working as of now planing on fixing it myself)
SteelSeries Siberia V1(mostly used for FPS games but did use it for music listening eventually right hand side sound died)

My budget for a new pair of headphones is around 400$ or so. I'm not looking to go over that to be honest. I prefer:

Corded
Over-the-ear
Headband rest on head
Open or Noise Cancel (either is fine)

I'm open to any brand as long as the pair of headphones can play the above genre well. If for some reason the headphones being advised to me requires a amp of some sort in order to work at optimal levels, then pleae also list as well. I do intend to use the headphones with my Samsung Galaxy SII while going to work and then connect to a amp once home. So...I guess the headphone needs to play well on something as simple as an ipod with decent sound volume but truly shine when connected to a amp. If theres such a thing as an amp for a mp3 player you can mention that as well if it will help the headphone be used on something like an ipod.

I wish to send my thanks now for taking the time to read this post.

Thank You!

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #8,756 of 29,490

Quote:
While the AD700 is generally considered a very good buy for gamers, try this first: Take the M50 and turn down the bass by 3-6 dB, then up the 200-2000Hz region by the same.

The DT880 is a great all-rounder, and loves to have some juice behind it.

Would something like the HD598 benefit from my CKKIII enough, or should i try and spend a little extra to get an HD600 or an HE300? I have been reading the forums way too much looking for the best fit for my musical tastes, hell id even consider a SR225i but feel like it wouldnt be well rounded enough for me to enjoy. I previously owned K701s and an SR80 so Im just trying to try out a different sound signatures, I did enjoy the detail those brought but when Im playing some Cynic or Hookah the Fuzz I really just want to headbang every now and then haha.

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #8,757 of 29,490

Quote:
Would something like the HD598 benefit from my CKKIII enough, or should i try and spend a little extra to get an HD600 or an HE300? I have been reading the forums way too much looking for the best fit for my musical tastes, hell id even consider a SR225i but feel like it wouldnt be well rounded enough for me to enjoy. I previously owned K701s and an SR80 so Im just trying to try out a different sound signatures, I did enjoy the detail those brought but when Im playing some Cynic or Hookah the Fuzz I really just want to headbang every now and then haha.

There would be a more noticeable improvement with the HD600 for sure. Whether or not its worth the cost... *shrug* that's up to you. Then again, considering that there's only ~$60 price difference right now, I'd spring for the HD600. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #8,758 of 29,490
Haha, I take it your not a fan of Senns then. Id love some beyers but heard they match up much better with tube amps or hybrids to give them a little extra warmth. I think Im happy with losing a little detail to get a little more "fun" cans, I have been more a metalhead lately although 70s prog is what I always go back to when Im relaxing.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #8,759 of 29,490
I decided to go for a open circumaural (i want to hear external sounds) headphones with detachable cable, and i will go for the Sennheiser HD 598 for 143€, but any other recommendation before I buy this, with all of those features (circumaural, open, detachable cable) and around same price or more, or less price if it worth the extra cash)?

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #8,760 of 29,490
Hey all!
Looking for something that will do classical really well, especially violin and cello solos, quartets, baroque, etc. In my headfi search, these instruments/genres been the dealbreakers for me with lots of iems. My preference would be not amped. I'm open to either closed or open. Doesn't really need to be portable. Looking to spend between 150-300.  Their needs to be clarity and detail but not necessarily a clinical sound. Comfort is key too since I have a large noggin. I have a descent pair of iem so I'm really only looking for something that does specifically that kind of music really well.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back