++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #8,641 of 29,490
Hello, just joined. I have been browsing your site for a few weeks now, but I finally made up my mind to be direct. I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will be good for classical music. I should clarify that by classical music, I mean 20th century stuff, where serialism, atonality, constructive/destructive interference and minimalism emerged; basically, a little before Stravinsky and everything up to Philip Glass' American four Seasons. I can only say that I would use it in my laptop, portable cd player and stereo system, and that my budget can reach up to $60. Thank you for your help and any advise will be appreciated.

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #8,642 of 29,490
Hi head-fi forumers! My AKG-240MKIIs died out on me and I'm looking to buy a pair of decent open-back headphones for my home laptop. I'd like something that's versatile because I listen to a wide range of music and play PC games occasionally. It's important that I get a decently long cord like the ones on the AKGs.  Are there any that would be decently driven by a laptop's sound card? If not, I don't mind investing in some accessories/mods as long as it's less than $500 when all is said and done.  THANKS!

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #8,643 of 29,490
HD 598. Long cable, easily powered, amazing for gaming and music. Can't go wrong. :D

I'm honestly not sure if I like anything more under $500 even though the 598 is only half the budget.

Quote:
Hi head-fi forumers! My AKG-240MKIIs died out on me and I'm looking to buy a pair of decent open-back headphones for my home laptop. I'd like something that's versatile because I listen to a wide range of music and play PC games occasionally. It's important that I get a decently long cord like the ones on the AKGs.  Are there any that would be decently driven by a laptop's sound card? If not, I don't mind investing in some accessories/mods as long as it's less than $500 when all is said and done.  THANKS!

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #8,644 of 29,490
How does the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii compare to the Ultrasone PRO 900?
I demoed them both (fresh-out-of-the-box state), and I liked the HD25's more, but since the Pro 900s are famous for sounding like crap out of the box, I want some more insight.
What I want in the sound is : smooth, can be aggressive when needed (especially with Rock), punchy bass, accurate tonality, and good detail. And, is the Pro 900 as durable as the HD25?

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #8,645 of 29,490

Quote:

Shure SRH940 would probably be the best isolating closed headphones in that price range, together with Beyer's D770. But if you're gonna use headphones with iphone only, without a portable amp, then buying some headphones above 100 dollars would be pointless.

Ahh right, Hmm not sure what to do then. I want better quality than the standard apple in ear buds, Yet don't get on well with other in ear buds I've tried in terms of comfort... Stuck haha

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #8,646 of 29,490
The Pro 900 has more bass hump and can be a little piercing to me sometimes. I do think that their bass is more textured and deep but excessive at times.

The 25s are much more balanced, durable, and portable. 

Overall I think the Pro 750 vs HD 25-1 II is a closer comparison as neither has a huge bass hump like the Pro 900. (And in that case the Pro 750 wins)

Quote:
I demoed them both (fresh-out-of-the-box state), and I liked the HD25's more, but since the Pro 900s are famous for sounding like crap out of the box, I want some more insight.
What I want in the sound is : smooth, can be aggressive when needed (especially with Rock), punchy bass, accurate tonality, and good detail. And, is the Pro 900 as durable as the HD25?

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #8,647 of 29,490

Quote:

Ahh right, Hmm not sure what to do then. I want better quality than the standard apple in ear buds, Yet don't get on well with other in ear buds I've tried in terms of comfort... Stuck haha

If you were considering the Beats and you will be using your headphones with your iPhone, maybe you could give the V-Moda M80's or B&W P5's a try?

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #8,648 of 29,490

I like my bass natural. For the first time, I heard how proper drums sounded like in real life, and so far the HD25-1 ii comes closest to what I heard. How does the Pro 900 compare?
And for classical / jazz, how does the HD25 compare? (The Pro 900 was okay with Classical, from what I heard, but I felt no soundstaging of sorts, S-Logic may be not working for me, but I am not a good listener for soundstage :p)

edit : I have read that the Pro 900 doesn't have an accurate tonality (some instruments don't sound right), is this true?
Quote:
The Pro 900 has more bass hump and can be a little piercing to me sometimes. I do think that their bass is more textured and deep but excessive at times.

The 25s are much more balanced, durable, and portable. 

Overall I think the Pro 750 vs HD 25-1 II is a closer comparison as neither has a huge bass hump like the Pro 900. (And in that case the Pro 750 wins)

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #8,649 of 29,490
The Pro 900 does sound very artificial. Most people like it for Electronic and Hip Hop where natural sounding instruments aren't much of an issue. 

Natural will never be a work I can describe and Ultrasone as.

Quote:
I like my bass natural. For the first time, I heard how proper drums sounded like in real life, and so far the HD25-1 ii comes closest to what I heard. How does the Pro 900 compare?
And for classical / jazz, how does the HD25 compare? (The Pro 900 was okay with Classical, from what I heard, but I felt no soundstaging of sorts, S-Logic may be not working for me, but I am not a good listener for soundstage :p)

edit : I have read that the Pro 900 doesn't have an accurate tonality (some instruments don't sound right), is this true?

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #8,650 of 29,490
Well, I'm thinking of getting myself a pair of high end (but not super high end ) cans. I'm currently looking at the HD600, HD650 and HiFiMan HE-300. I'm a bit of a bass head so that should be taken into consideration as well. I can get the HD 600s for around $230 - $250 refurbished while the HE-300 and HD 650 (also refurbed) would be over $300. I enjoy Hip-Hop/Rap, R&B, Soul, Jazz, Electronic/Dubstep/Trance, Acoustic, Classical and other genres of music that I won't bother to list and my music collection consists of mostly high bitrate MP3 (VBR V0 - 320 CBR) and AAC (Usually 256lbps VBR and up) and some FLAC as well as traditional CDs. Amping and DAC duties will be taken care of by my Fiio E7+E9 combo.

I'm aware that the 650 is more colored, emphasizing the bass and midrange, which initially drew me to them while the 600s are more neutral, which makes me shy away from them, despite the nearly $100 difference in price between them and the 650s and HE-300. The 300 is a bit of an enigma to me so if anyone has some insight into whether or not I'll like that sound signature. I appreciate any comments you guys can give, thanks!

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #8,651 of 29,490
I'd love the take a chance on the HE300 but it's not in the cards right now. The 600 and 650 and tried and true and would probably be my choice if I were in your shoes. 

Can't say which i'd go for though. Probably the 600, but that one is up to you.

Quote:
Well, I'm thinking of getting myself a pair of high end (but not super high end ) cans. I'm currently looking at the HD600, HD650 and HiFiMan HE-300. I'm a bit of a bass head so that should be taken into consideration as well. I can get the HD 600s for around $230 - $250 refurbished while the HE-300 and HD 650 (also refurbed) would be over $300. I enjoy Hip-Hop/Rap, R&B, Soul, Jazz, Electronic/Dubstep/Trance, Acoustic, Classical and other genres of music that I won't bother to list and my music collection consists of mostly high bitrate MP3 (VBR V0 - 320 CBR) and AAC (Usually 256lbps VBR and up) and some FLAC as well as traditional CDs. Amping and DAC duties will be taken care of by my Fiio E7+E9 combo.

I'm aware that the 650 is more colored, emphasizing the bass and midrange, which initially drew me to them while the 600s are more neutral, which makes me shy away from them, despite the nearly $100 difference in price between them and the 650s and HE-300. The 300 is a bit of an enigma to me so if anyone has some insight into whether or not I'll like that sound signature. I appreciate any comments you guys can give, thanks!

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #8,652 of 29,490

Quote:
I just don't know what will give me the best sound. PX200-II are closed, but I've heard that the HD215s sound better. The HD448 is another closed one I could buy, although I've heard it is dull and flat. I think the K420s would be good but I don't think there will be enough isolation for public use and I want something portable, plus I've got a big head. HD218s are open, and they're supposed to have some isolation. Should I just get the K330/340 or CX300-II? I don't know man, I just don't know.

AKG K81/518 are portable and have good isolation.

Quote:
Hi everyone, there's such a big selection for headphones I'm kind of lost and need some help .I have a few questions:
  1. I'm looking for headphones, but I don't realy know what the cons and pros are between open ear and closed ear
  2. I'm looking for headphones about 200€, and I mostly listen to Rock like pink floyd, muse, radiohead, king crimson, and sometimes even hard rock or metal. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reading.
EDIT: Also, I'll probably be using these mostly at home.

Closed headphones block out noise, tend to have stronger bass and midbass and more spikes in the treble, and smaller soundstage.

Open headphones generally have smoother response (although they too can have wobbly treble) and better soundstage, but since they don't block out any noise it'll be more difficult to hear the fine details of your music

Grado is sort of a default recommendation for rock, although outside of the US you should consider Alessandro (which is basically the same thing but without the price hike). The cans are fully open though.

Quote:
Hello guys would really appreciate some advice.

Was looking at Dre Beats, then thought ild go better so looked at Bose QC 15s... Good job i joined here then haha.

For use with my iPhone, Need closed on ear headphones for commuting so little sound leak is important! Listen to Rock, Rap, Pop so quite a range. Have looked at the HD 380's and they look like something ild go for, Any other suggestions?

In terms of price, Maybe up too £200 ($320) Any more info needed please ask. Thanks!

The HD380 was the first one that came to mind before I even finished reading. In smaller form, there's also the Senn HD25, Beyer T50p & DT1350, B&W P5.

Quote:
Hello, just joined. I have been browsing your site for a few weeks now, but I finally made up my mind to be direct. I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will be good for classical music. I should clarify that by classical music, I mean 20th century stuff, where serialism, atonality, constructive/destructive interference and minimalism emerged; basically, a little before Stravinsky and everything up to Philip Glass' American four Seasons. I can only say that I would use it in my laptop, portable cd player and stereo system, and that my budget can reach up to $60. Thank you for your help and any advise will be appreciated.

a used audio technica AD700 perhaps?

Quote:

I say don't fix what ain't broke. Stick with what works, maybe add an amp/dac to the computer. It should make a difference with the K240.

Quote:

The Senn is more balanced and durable, and if you liked the sound more after a brief audition then stick with it. I am not a big believer in burn-in beyond the few minutes required for a driver to loosen up a bit. Soundwise, I think the Senn is a better fit for you anyways.

Quote:

I honestly did not hear much difference between the 600 and 650 and probably would not be able to reliably tell them apart unless compared back to back. Save your money and get the 600 (or the 580 which is cheaper still and basically the same thing except for a different grill and cable which you can get off ebay for $20). Spend the savings on an amp of some sort.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #8,654 of 29,490

Quote:
Hypothetical question. If I wind up getting the Beyerdynamic DT 880/250 & Ultrasone Pro 900, would it be worth it down the line to get something like the Sennheiser HD 650?

If you want to, I don't see why not. All three of those headphones sound vastly different from one another.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #8,655 of 29,490

Hey HeadFi community,

I spent the last 10 hours or so browsing and reading about headphones.
My birthday is coming up so I decided to treat myself to a present :)

I need headphones for home use.
I have a laptop, but I'm going to buy the Asus Xonar U1/U3 external sound card, which has 5.1 and Dolby Headphone.
My music is in flac, and 60% of the time I listen to metal (Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head etc), the other 40% are grunge or post-grunge and Hardstyle/Hardcore. I enjoy good bass, but not overwhelming and I dont like piercing treble. 

I also plan to watch movies in HD and play some games (but not precision shooters, CounterStrike days are over). 
A mic is not an issue, as I have one in a laptop.

I dont have an amp and I dont want to buy one.

I'm stuck on the following choices:
Grado sr225i
Denon AH-D1100
Beyerdynamics 770 Pro
Sennheiser PC 360

They all have cons and pros, but I still havent found a single review which includes my likes in music.

Maybe you can help me to decide? :)

Thanks in advance!

PS: If I go for sr225i, I will use the Grado 3.5" converter jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back