++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #8,551 of 29,490
My best suggestion would to be try and find a used AIAIAI TMA-1, but within budget maybe an M50?

The TMA-1 is the most durable headphone I've come across and they are on ear, but very comfortable for on ears. 
Quote:
Okay, so I am looking to buy headphones and I require some help with that because I don't really have much knowledge when it comes to headphones. I am willing to spend up to 150$ on them, durability is very important since I keep messing my headphones up, and I rather for them to be over the ear headphones, I listen to all sorts of music, mostly Hip Hop, Classic Rock and Psychedelic Trance. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #8,552 of 29,490
Hi, I'm ready to buy my first set of headphones. I've been doing some browsing and I'm thinking of:

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone HFI-580[/size]
[size=1.7em] My friend has Beats Pro. Will these compare with them?[/size]
[size=1.7em] I am going to drive them almost exclusively with an iPhone4s and listen to mostly rock/pop/hip hop. I like strong/solid bass but not a bass head[/size]

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #8,555 of 29,490
M50s aren't even in the same league as the D2000, IMO. 

More: Ultrasone Pro 900, Ultrasone Pro 750, XB1000, Xone 53, HDJ 2000...There's a lot of options out there.

Quote:
Denon AH-D2000's or ATH-M50s??

I listen to a lot of electronic/dubstep/techno so bass is a must.

Any other cans in their price ranges that can compare?

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #8,556 of 29,490
D2000 offer a measurable improvement on the M50 in literally every quality except for portability.  IMO even their build quality is better, with better materials-- even if the M50s are more durable.

D2000 has quantitively less bass than the M50, but it hits harder.  It's a way better bass overall.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #8,557 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I have my HD 25-1 ii's and my HD598's and I love em both. I'm kind of a basshead though, so I want an alternate pair for blasting bass heavy hip-hop/electro. My friend has XB500's and they're pretty awesome so that can be kind of the reference. How do they compare to HFI 580's (usually recommended for bassheads)? Any others? I'm looking to spend under $200. Doesn't matter if it needs amping, I have my FiiOs.

Thanks,

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #8,558 of 29,490
XB700, Xone 53, AIAIAI TMA-1, Ultrasone Pro 750 (Used)...

Check out the basshead club thread. There's a huge list there.

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have my HD 25-1 ii's and my HD598's and I love em both. I'm kind of a basshead though, so I want an alternate pair for blasting bass heavy hip-hop/electro. My friend has XB500's and they're pretty awesome so that can be kind of the reference. How do they compare to HFI 580's (usually recommended for bassheads)? Any others? I'm looking to spend under $200. Doesn't matter if it needs amping, I have my FiiOs.

Thanks,

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #8,559 of 29,490
I'm looking to get my first set of "good" headphones and this site was recommended as a good place for information and advice.  I've previously owned many cheap headphones and had various problems with them, so now I'm willing to spend a bit of money to get something better and more reliable.  Preferrably I would like to keep it in the $150 range but I will go a little higher if it is very worthwhile.

They would be used for gaming, music (rock, metal) and movies.  A closed design would be preferrable so I don't disturb anyone at night.

I've previously owned headphones from non-audiophile brands like Logitech, Labtec, Steelseries and various others that always lost sound in one ear after a few months of use.  Due to this I'm somewhat fixated on build quality in particular, and prefer get something that will not have any long term durability issues.

I will be using a Xonar DX on my computer, but if possible I was hoping to use the headphones for an iPod as well.  As such I'm hoping to find something that doesn't require amplification.  If that narrows my options too much I'm willing to consider a seperate set for the iPod, but my first choice is to get one set of headphones that does both jobs.

I'm located in Canada and it's hard to find certain products here, so trying before I buy or even getting a hold of certain products at all is unfortunately very difficult.

I've been looking at the ATH-A50 and ATH-A700, and based on the reviews they both seem like reasonable options.  Just from searching Google I've learned that these two options get compared a lot so I won't ask you to do yet another comparison of their audio qualities.  But as I mentioned I'm a bit fixated on build quality, so I'm wondering if anyone had experience on the durability of either of these?

I've also been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 but as yet have not found a reasonably priced supplier in Canada.

Are there any other options you think I should be considering?

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #8,560 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

pioneer hdj 500 or hdj1000 or pioneer mj31 they provide bass and nothing else :p

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #8,561 of 29,490
IEM question:

Is there a universal IEM that matches the D5000 sound? Budget....under $400...preferably under $300.  Comfort would be key.  Looking for a new IEM and wanting to try a few before i settle on one.

Didn't see a guidance thread in the IEM section, if there is I apologize.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #8,562 of 29,490
I haven't heard much about the Sennheiser HD 380s -- how do they compare to the M50s?

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #8,563 of 29,490
IEM question:

Is there a universal IEM that matches the D5000 sound? Budget....under $400...preferably under $300.  Comfort would be key.  Looking for a new IEM and wanting to try a few before i settle on one.

Didn't see a guidance thread in the IEM section, if there is I apologize.

Westone 3!

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #8,564 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to get my first set of "good" headphones and this site was recommended as a good place for information and advice.  I've previously owned many cheap headphones and had various problems with them, so now I'm willing to spend a bit of money to get something better and more reliable.  Preferrably I would like to keep it in the $150 range but I will go a little higher if it is very worthwhile.
They would be used for gaming, music (rock, metal) and movies.  A closed design would be preferrable so I don't disturb anyone at night.
I've previously owned headphones from non-audiophile brands like Logitech, Labtec, Steelseries and various others that always lost sound in one ear after a few months of use.  Due to this I'm somewhat fixated on build quality in particular, and prefer get something that will not have any long term durability issues.
I will be using a Xonar DX on my computer, but if possible I was hoping to use the headphones for an iPod as well.  As such I'm hoping to find something that doesn't require amplification.  If that narrows my options too much I'm willing to consider a seperate set for the iPod, but my first choice is to get one set of headphones that does both jobs.
I'm located in Canada and it's hard to find certain products here, so trying before I buy or even getting a hold of certain products at all is unfortunately very difficult.
I've been looking at the ATH-A50 and ATH-A700, and based on the reviews they both seem like reasonable options.  Just from searching Google I've learned that these two options get compared a lot so I won't ask you to do yet another comparison of their audio qualities.  But as I mentioned I'm a bit fixated on build quality, so I'm wondering if anyone had experience on the durability of either of these?
I've also been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 but as yet have not found a reasonably priced supplier in Canada.
Are there any other options you think I should be considering?

I own the DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm, lots of quality bass, best when used with a headphone amplifier.
But my old Xonar DX seemed to do a decent job powering them.
Beyerdynamic U.S.A. will sometimes sell refurbished DT-770 Pro 80-Ohms for a good price on their eBay listing "bd-usa".

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S semi-open headphone, with Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads
are really good bang for the buck headphones.
Also long as you not in the same room as anyone else, should not disturb anyone.
Should work great with an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back