++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #8,326 of 29,490

Quote:
For your genres, my vote goes to the V6.

Not knowing your other factors... the Denon.
I like the Shure, but they're a tricky fit.
Durable... Sony V6 is a solid choice in that budget.

I've read some negative comfort reviews on the V6, and that they can pinch the ears. Do you think it's a huge problem, or that the sound quality trumps a slight problem of comfort?

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #8,327 of 29,490
Same as above, just made my own tread but in wrong department lol.

Newbe aswell, need opened headphones (preferably - wider sound stage) with crisp base for movies and gaming so positioning is also important. Budget about $100. Cannot find headset which would suite my expectation.

Any advice is more then welcome.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #8,328 of 29,490
I would much prefer the D2000...but I'm not a Grado fan. IMO the D2000 is more forgiving though. They're also much more comfortable. 

Sound is very subjective but Grado comfort vs Denon comfort is not. (Sure comfort is usually subjective, but not in this sense. lol) 

Quote:
What would you say then for the same price? If it's worth sacrificing a bit of build quality for sound quality then which is better? Denon or Grado? If it's worth anything I don't want something that is too analytical against mid quality music.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #8,329 of 29,490
Hey guys, got a question.  I just upgraded to Ultrasone 2900 Pros and while really think they sound better than my Audio Technica AD-ATH500's I'm not a huge fan of the open design and the really shrill highs at times.  I think I might sell them off (on here) and get maybe a little more expensive pair somewhere around $500.  Can someone suggest a good closed pair and maybe a good amp to go with it?  For some reason this Headroom Airhead isn't cutting it for the Ultrasones and sometimes sounds better with it turned off.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #8,330 of 29,490
I think I could definitely suggest the Sennheiser HD598.  They are pretty much in the middle ground where the sonic signature is concerned, and IMO it sounds better than either the Grado or the Denon.  It is also more comfortable than both.

Quote:
I would much prefer the D2000...but I'm not a Grado fan. IMO the D2000 is more forgiving though. They're also much more comfortable. 

Sound is very subjective but Grado comfort vs Denon comfort is not. (Sure comfort is usually subjective, but not in this sense. lol)  

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #8,331 of 29,490

Quote:
I've read some negative comfort reviews on the V6, and that they can pinch the ears. Do you think it's a huge problem, or that the sound quality trumps a slight problem of comfort?

The V6 has very large pads but they sit on the ear. I actually found them more comfortable on an old pair where the stitching on the inside of the pad had come undone.

Quote:

Newbe aswell, need opened headphones (preferably - wider sound stage) with crisp base for movies and gaming so positioning is also important. Budget about $100. Cannot find headset which would suite my expectation.

Audio Technica AD700
Sennheiser HD555

Quote:
Hey guys, got a question.  I just upgraded to Ultrasone 2900 Pros and while really think they sound better than my Audio Technica AD-ATH500's I'm not a huge fan of the open design and the really shrill highs at times.  I think I might sell them off (on here) and get maybe a little more expensive pair somewhere around $500.  Can someone suggest a good closed pair and maybe a good amp to go with it?  For some reason this Headroom Airhead isn't cutting it for the Ultrasones and sometimes sounds better with it turned off.

Sony Z1000
Shure 940
Denon 2000

Are you looking for a portable or home amp? dac or not?

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #8,332 of 29,490
I'm wondering if I could get some advice.  I am looking to get seriously into high end audio, and have some money to spend.  I hear great things about Sennheiser and Grado headphones.  I probably cannot test any of them out, so how do I know what I like best?  The Sennheiser 650's has great reviews, as do many of the high end Grado headphones.  I'm sure whatever I get will be awesome, but I guess in a perfect world I'd be able to try them out.

What should I look to for headphone amps?  I'm looking at the E7 and E9.  I do not understand why I need to dock them though.  Is the E7 not a stand-alone device?  I use a laptop with a bad soundcard.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #8,334 of 29,490
I think you're high on the comfort statement, but to each their own. :D

I also prefer the HD 598 and I suppose I was just in the wrong mindset to suggest it. It's usually the headphone I suggest to people that want to get away from Grado...and it's actually sitting right next to me...lol

Quote:
I think I could definitely suggest the Sennheiser HD598.  They are pretty much in the middle ground where the sonic signature is concerned, and IMO it sounds better than either the Grado or the Denon.  It is also more comfortable than both.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #8,335 of 29,490

Quote:

HD555 $94 at Amazon. Excellent soundstage and a lot of gamers like them.  Bass is good but not overwhelming and will be a little mild for bassheads.  That can be improved in 5 minutes with simple Mod which essentially turns them into HD595s.  I did it today and the bass is much improved, but not overpowering.  I don't do much gaming, but they're my #1 choice for movies.  They're super comfortable too and have a fairly neutral sound signature.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #8,336 of 29,490
I want some good wood cupped cans. I have the fiio e7 amp, I like a right punchy bassand also sturdy build quality, I was looking at the 
Denon ah D7000
denon ah D5000
ath w1000x
fa 002w
and the thounderpants my budget is 700

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #8,337 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm wondering if I could get some advice.  I am looking to get seriously into high end audio, and have some money to spend.  I hear great things about Sennheiser and Grado headphones.  I probably cannot test any of them out, so how do I know what I like best?  The Sennheiser 650's has great reviews, as do many of the high end Grado headphones.  I'm sure whatever I get will be awesome, but I guess in a perfect world I'd be able to try them out.

What should I look to for headphone amps?  I'm looking at the E7 and E9.  I do not understand why I need to dock them though.  Is the E7 not a stand-alone device?  I use a laptop with a bad soundcard.

Buy them both from Amazon and return the one you don't like.
It's worth the $10 or so for return postage to audition them if you have no other way.
What kind of music do you listen to? You can't go too wrong with the Sennheiser 650's.  
I haven't heard them, but from what I understand, the Grados are a love them/hate them type of headpone. 

If you have a bad soundcard, it's best to get the one with the DAC so you can plug it into your USB and bypass your bad sound card.
Otherwise, you'll need to use your line-out jack, which goes through your sound card. Then you'll just be amplifying the output from a bad sound card.
If forget which of those models has a DAC. I don't think they both do.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #8,338 of 29,490
If you don't go with the D7000 I'd suggest the D2000 with custom cups over the D5000 as they use the same drivers. 

Also...either one is a very good choice. Their build quality can sometimes come into question though, so they may not be for you. 

Out of the rest I'd go for the Thunderpants. They really are an excellent headphone and with some of the new options added recently they're absolutely gorgeous as well.

Quote:
I want some good wood cupped cans. I have the fiio e7 amp, I like a right punchy bassand also sturdy build quality, I was looking at the 
Denon ah D7000
denon ah D5000
ath w1000x
fa 002w
and the thounderpants my budget is 700

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #8,340 of 29,490

Quote:

Buy them both from Amazon and return the one you don't like.
It's worth the $10 or so for return postage to audition them if you have no other way.
What kind of music do you listen to? You can't go too wrong with the Sennheiser 650's.  
I haven't heard them, but from what I understand, the Grados are a love them/hate them type of headpone. 

If you have a bad soundcard, it's best to get the one with the DAC so you can plug it into your USB and bypass your bad sound card.
Otherwise, you'll need to use your line-out jack, which goes through your sound card. Then you'll just be amplifying the output from a bad sound card.
If forget which of those models has a DAC. I don't think they both do.

I mainly listen to my avatar/alternative rock and classical music.  Trying both out is a good idea.  I'm mainly looking at the 650's and the Rs1i.

Both the E7 and E9 have DAC.  You can dock the E7 in the E9, but I don't fully understand the benefit of having both of them.  

Many thanks for your help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back