++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #8,071 of 29,490
[size=10pt]is Audio-Technica ATH-M50 good for the music i like?[/size]
[size=10pt]i like rock such as AC/DC, gunz and roses, pink Floyd, disco panic.[/size]
[size=10pt]i like folk, jazz, Irish music, western music, some hip hop, and classical music.[/size]
[size=10pt]as you can see I like a lot of types of music. i like to hear every thing clear, every "side voice"[/size]
[size=10pt]like in this song:[/size]
[size=10pt]"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZjvbSC9_M&feature=related"[/size]
[size=10pt]I want to hear every sound super clear (there are tons of instrument in this song.. that you can barely hear! I want to hear all of them! apart!)[/size]

[size=10pt]....[/size]
[size=10pt]lets say its good for my music.[/size]
[size=10pt]then:[/size]
[size=10pt][size=medium]I can spend about 150$ maybe a bit more. I am going to listen to music outside of the house (in the bus, in school and so on). I want it to be noise canceling, I need them to look good, good music quality, good base, and [size=medium]Good noise separation .[/size][/size][/size]

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #8,072 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi there, first time poster and recent music admirer.

I don't want to spend time writing a story, but I feel somewhat inclined- I love my portapros, and feel they are if not the best headphones I have ever listen to music on them. Obviously this is my limited amount of experience showing, and have not really have had the chance with higher end headphones, but more entry being a pair of  grado's sr-80i that my cousin owns. Basically here's what I liked about the grado:

-Wider sound stage (or better positioned and more depth of the drivers)
-Sounds somewhat cleaner on the highs (I know from what people have said about coloring, but I don't consider it a bad thing)
-I could use them as speakers if I felt it was needed :wink:

However, what I love about my portapros compared is:

-More impact from any sound
-Bass has more presences/omph
-Less open than the grados

I do want to ask this before I start asking other questions: is the grado sr-125/225i better on the bass (like not rumbling but more impacting) than the 80i?

Now as far as that goes, if that’s the case then I'll consider them. However I really want closed cans with decent isolation, but generally if not the same qualities of the portapro with maybe wider sound stage and positioning (I have no idea if these go hand in hand sorry if ignorant sounding)

I've gotten recommendations like the ath-m50/mdr-v6/beyer 770t/grado 125i/something akg/sennheiser hd550(and 598)/koss titanium pro/and a pair of shure cans.

I've been listening to a lot of mj recently, but I do listen to rock(50-80's), techno, acoustic music, classical/orchestrated, really I'd like to think a lot of varied genres, but those are predominant. Oh and budget is $220.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for anyone's time!

And to note: amp is not a problem and for anything that requires one, I don't really mind as I usually listen at home/playing video games, so it's no biggie if they require one.

There is honestly very little difference between the Grado 60/80/125/225/MS1 unless you can compare to back to back. There are a lot of mods available to tune the sound, mostly in toning down the treble resonance a bit and improving bass punch.

For closed/isolating/soundstage & positioning... well just keep in mind that closed cans in general do not do soundstage/positioning as well as open cans. You will generally want to look for a reasonably flat frequency response (basically not too much bass), and fast decay rates although published data for that is few and far between.

A few recommentaions:
Shure 940
Senn HD380
Beyerdynamic DT250

Quote:

On a quick Amazon search, I'm finding these PX 360s to be $134 on Amazon, the HD 280s to be $82.  MDR-V6s are $65.19.  This brings up not just "better the devil you know" but also cost.  I'm not absolutely limited to $50 lightly used, to be fair.  Are the Senns going to be worth the extra?

There is no such thing as "is it worth it?" here, because we will always be able to find something bigger and better. Pick a budget, stick to it, pick something, then run away from here as fast as you can before we "convince" you that you need to spend more money
cool.gif

Quote:
My friends needs a new pair of headphones, and I promised to check on here to see if anyone has some good advice

They will be used for Drum and Bass and Dubstep 
And that is actually it, just go under the 250 dollar price point. (best bang for the buck)
And notify if an amp is needed. Thanks

EDIT: 300 dollars can be dealt with :)

Beyerdynamic DT770 (pro version is cheaper) with an amp. You'll get tons of bass and superb isolation, although not much for portability.

Quote:
Hi everyone, I think this is the perfect place for me :) 

About a year ago I invested in a roughly $2000 sound system. Now my headphones do not meet my desire for good sound... currently use a pair of Sony noisecancelling headphones I bought probably close to 10 years ago for $50.

Looking for something better, hopefully in the $200-$300 range (not fixed, but preferable... the OP is quite true that these sorts of forums hurt the wallet!). I am fairly inexperienced with headphone shopping for any significant dollar value (ie over $10). Not sure what other features - amp/DAC are needed or how portable they are.

Primary uses: listening to music at work out of a laptop (macbook pro) or iPod on travels - full range of music, though heavier on classical/instrumental/rock and not "bass heavy" stuff, but for many hours 
Desired "features": it'd be nice if it came with a case for traveling

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Beyer DT1350 - small on-ear, neutral response
Senn HD380 - larger over ear, warmer sound
Both isolate very well and fold flat into a case. The DT1350 clamps a bit harder on the ears and may be problematic if you have glasses, but isolation is better. The HD380 clamps quite a bit at first too, but spreads pressure across a larger area and loosens up and the pads soften as well.

Quote:
I don't have any headphones at all, and want a pair for light gaming. I also do a lot of tv show and movie watching. And of course, some music.

So I really am looking for a pair that will give me the most complete sound for all of these things. I just want the gaming aspect to be on the very light side of use.

The reviews on the Sony MDR7506's and the KRK 8400's seem to be very highly rated...

And both are in my price range. I don't the slightest idea on which on to choose. And I cant find any local stores carrying them.

Heck, maybe I am off and I would be more than happy to take suggestions if there are better ones out there.

thanks

The Sony is a fine headphone and should be easy to find in any music/guitar shop. The KRK8400 is the bassier version of the 6400. There are a couple reviews here on the forums for those if you do a search; I seem to recall some reviews preferring the 6400 over the 8400.

Quote:
I just thought of an experiment I may perform with my AKG 271 Mk IIs, and I would like some input as to whether this is possible. Whether it's worth it may be another story haha.

You know the removable cable on the AKGs? The mini-XLR connector? Is it possible to somehow take advantage of this and insert some kind of XLR based bluetooth interface, effectively turning my wired headphones into wireless headphones? Ideally, I would be able to interface this bluetooth device with (A) my bluetooth-enabled computer and (B) my iPhone. Using a bluetooth receiver on the other end is not out of the question for me either. 

Any thoughts/suggestions on how one would hypothetically approach this? Thanks in advance. 

Well the XLR connector is just a left/right/ground connector. Just you need a bluetooth receiver that outputs an audio signal, then fashion the appropriate connector.

Quote:
[size=10pt]is Audio-Technica ATH-M50 good for the music i like?[/size]
[size=10pt]i like rock such as AC/DC, gunz and roses, pink Floyd, disco panic.[/size]
[size=10pt]i like folk, jazz, Irish music, western music, some hip hop, and classical music.[/size]
[size=10pt]as you can see I like a lot of types of music. i like to hear every thing clear, every "side voice"[/size]
[size=10pt]like in this song:[/size]
[size=10pt]"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZjvbSC9_M&feature=related"[/size]
[size=10pt]I want to hear every sound super clear (there are tons of instrument in this song.. that you can barely hear! I want to hear all of them! apart!)[/size]

[size=10pt]....[/size]
[size=10pt]lets say its good for my music.[/size]
[size=10pt]then:[/size]
[size=10pt][size=medium]I can spend about 150$ maybe a bit more. I am going to listen to music outside of the house (in the bus, in school and so on). I want it to be noise canceling, I need them to look good, good music quality, good base, and [size=medium]Good noise separation .[/size][/size][/size]

The M50 is a fine headphone. Personally I find it meshes a little better with the rock genres, while something like the Shure 840 plays better with classical and jazz.

The thing is, isolation in headphones only goes so far, so if you're listening for quiet details in a noisy envronment I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. You would be much better served looking into IEMs.

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #8,073 of 29,490

Quote:
What kind of music? What exact price range? How do you want your games (immersive, or competitive)?

Tough to suggest without knowing a little more. Though the 7506 isn't a bad place to start getting into headphones. Industry staple that's built like a truck and sound pretty balanced. 

Price range would be up to maybe 200 bucks...I listen to a lot of old 80's Hair band rock, but also some classical music.  The gaming aspect doesnt matter to me really. I just threw it out there in case someone needed to know it.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #8,074 of 29,490

Quote:
Beyer DT1350 - small on-ear, neutral response
Senn HD380 - larger over ear, warmer sound
Both isolate very well and fold flat into a case. The DT1350 clamps a bit harder on the ears and may be problematic if you have glasses, but isolation is better. The HD380 clamps quite a bit at first too, but spreads pressure across a larger area and loosens up and the pads soften as well.

Hm, I like the second one a fair bit - nice price and glowing reviews. In fact they prompt another few - is simple playback from either an iPod or iTunes on my computer going to make me want additional items?

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #8,076 of 29,490

Quote:
Hm, I like the second one a fair bit - nice price and glowing reviews. In fact they prompt another few - is simple playback from either an iPod or iTunes on my computer going to make me want additional items?

If you hang around this place, the desire for new toys will grow. My best advice is to pick something then run away. 
ph34r.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #8,077 of 29,490
A friend is looking for a pair of headphones and needs some recommendations if you all don't mind. To keep things short and sweet:

Primary Music: Trance
Desired Sound: Tight bass, crisp treble, wide soundstage
Other: Closed back, low impedance (iPod with no amp)
Price range: up to $125

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #8,078 of 29,490

Quote:
If you hang around this place, the desire for new toys will grow. My best advice is to pick something then run away. 
ph34r.gif

That's no joke. Every time I visit this place I wind up spending more. First visit, two headphones. This marks my second visit, with the intention of buying just one, but I've already purchase two, and a third - with a probable sound card purchase - is likely inevitable. Beyond that, there's a list several headphones/earphones long that I'd like to get as well. It's getting bad.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #8,079 of 29,490

Quote:

That's no joke. Every time I visit this place I wind up spending more. First visit, two headphones. This marks my second visit, with the intention of buying just one, but I've already purchase two, and a third - with a probable sound card purchase - is likely inevitable. Beyond that, there's a list several headphones/earphones long that I'd like to get as well. It's getting bad.

I started modding in an attempt to slow me down, except that backfired because now I look at new cans wonering what I can do to them... and then I started getting just drivers and shelly to create frankenstein headphones...

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #8,080 of 29,490

Quote:

Oh I'm aware of that for sure :) I've had similar problems on the avsforum... reading makes me want to upgrade or make something new or whatnot :)

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #8,081 of 29,490
I have had a pair of DT770s Pro 80's for quite some time. They are great sounding headphones and have been my first real pair of quality headphones. However, I am finding them to be rather big and bulky with a cumbersome, long cable. I usually listen to music on my laptop (Macbook Pro 13 Sandy Bridge, Unamped) while I am studying in the library. I am intrigued by the HD 25 headphones at the right price, but I am sceptical. Could somebody tell me how they fare against the DT770 Pro 80 in the following categories in order of importance:

1) Comfort (Most Important)
2) Isolation 
3) Sound Character (Least important)

I am not saying sound is not important to me (Trying to ward off the wolves). For my needs, isolation and comfort are more important. For sound character I don't want anyone to waste their own time writing a long essay on its soundstage, sibilance, bass response, magical faerie dust etc. All I would need is for somebody could just tell me if the HD 25 sounds just as good as the DT770 Pro 80 or if there is a huge difference in sound. Also, I am aware that many people suggest upgrading the HD25 cable and I will probably be replacing the stock cable with an HD600 cable so if you can compare the beyers to the senns + cable upgrade and velour pads that would be swell. I should also mention that I am looking to buy an iPod 5th gen off of ebay with the hopes of making it an imod paired with a Fiio E11 or E10. If you feel there is a better headphone suited for my needs please do share.

Edit: Mostly listen to electronic music, movie film scores, the beatles, radiohead, coldplay and a little bit of rap.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #8,082 of 29,490
I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and am looking for some advice! 

The bands I mainly listen to are Phish, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Explosions in the Sky, Umphrey's McGee, and the Talking Heads.

Phish & Grateful Dead are by far my 2 main bands, and all the stuff I listen to by them is live shows. I try to get as many SBD (soundboards) copies as I can when downloading these shows, and so I'm not going to be listening to a ton of ****ty audience recordings :p

I'll mainly be using these on my computer and iPod Classic (no amp).
The maximum I want to spend is $200. Although if the perfect headphones are $230 or something I might pull the trigger anyway :wink:

On the subject of open / closed, I think that I would prefer closed, unless open is a lot better for my type of music. I really have on idea on the difference besides the fact that open headphones have a lot of leakage. I'll be going to college next year and plan on bringing these with me (obviously) so I don't want to be stuck with a pair of expensive "open" headphones that I can't use anywhere without disturbing other people.

Thanks guys! 

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #8,083 of 29,490
Wow how didn't I see this thread, sorry for my other thread!

I'll start afresh.
I listen to all sorts, metal, metallica, dream theater, indie, rock, coldplay, beirut, triphop, portishead massive attack and classical. Not so much hip hop, drum & bass, trance sometimes. Also good for gaming wouldn't hurt. Home use only although closed could be a bonus but not at the expense of sound.

I've listened to Alessandro MS-1 which I find uncomfortable, great tone for rock etc but small soundstage, slightly lacking bass and slightly bright, fatiguing. ATH-ESW10 Japan which I also find uncomfortable, though nice for classical & electronic, muddy bass, slightly too dark, claustrophobic.

I have done a lot of research and the Senn HD 598 sounds right up my street based on what's been said. Comfortable, open, wide soundstage, forward mids (tone more like SR80i than ATH?).

What else should I consider before being set on these? Budget around £150 if possible. Not planning on buying an amp just yet.
Thankyou

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #8,084 of 29,490
Koss ProDJ100

$80, great bass (though mids are the priority on this headphone), closed and easily powered (thought an amp isn't a bad idea). 

The only thing they lack in a bit is sound stage, but you'll find that problem with any closed 'phone.

Quote:
A friend is looking for a pair of headphones and needs some recommendations if you all don't mind. To keep things short and sweet:

Primary Music: Trance
Desired Sound: Tight bass, crisp treble, wide soundstage
Other: Closed back, low impedance (iPod with no amp)
Price range: up to $125

I think you'd like the HD25 although you'll need to stretch them a bit to get them more comfortable. They have excellent isolation though. As far as the cable goes it's not a bad cable, and it's actually quite nice for most portable uses. Sturdy L jack. It's just a little short. 

Comparing comfort directly to a Beyer you'll find them uncomfortable. Beyers have a great rep for being very comfortable. Also, the biggest difference will be in the kind of bass you get. The Beyers have very 'big' bass, where as the 25's bass will hit harder but not be quite as 'subwoofer-y'. The 25 wins in every other category (IMO). Mids, highs, etc. as they are quite balanced. 

I think they'd be great for you except the possible comfort issue. Take a look at the Phiaton MS300/400 as well. They're more comfortable and the isolation aint half bad. 

Quote:
I have had a pair of DT770s Pro 80's for quite some time. They are great sounding headphones and have been my first real pair of quality headphones. However, I am finding them to be rather big and bulky with a cumbersome, long cable. I usually listen to music on my laptop (Macbook Pro 13 Sandy Bridge, Unamped) while I am studying in the library. I am intrigued by the HD 25 headphones at the right price, but I am sceptical. Could somebody tell me how they fare against the DT770 Pro 80 in the following categories in order of importance:

1) Comfort (Most Important)
2) Isolation 
3) Sound Character (Least important)

I am not saying sound is not important to me (Trying to ward off the wolves). For my needs, isolation and comfort are more important. For sound character I don't want anyone to waste their own time writing a long essay on its soundstage, sibilance, bass response, magical faerie dust etc. All I would need is for somebody could just tell me if the HD 25 sounds just as good as the DT770 Pro 80 or if there is a huge difference in sound. Also, I am aware that many people suggest upgrading the HD25 cable and I will probably be replacing the stock cable with an HD600 cable so if you can compare the beyers to the senns + cable upgrade and velour pads that would be swell. I should also mention that I am looking to buy an iPod 5th gen off of ebay with the hopes of making it an imod paired with a Fiio E11 or E10. If you feel there is a better headphone suited for my needs please do share.

Edit: Mostly listen to electronic music, movie film scores, the beatles, radiohead, coldplay and a little bit of rap.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #8,085 of 29,490
Hi,
I am looking for some circumneutral (ones that go all round your ear) headphones for around £50. The music I listen to is POP and Rock. Also I will be using my ipod touch so bear that in mind and comfort is not to inportant but I would like it. If anyone could could recommend one I would be very grateful.

Thanks for everything!
Awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back