++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #8,026 of 29,490

Quote:
I can accept your viewpoint.  All I'm suggesting is that if you spend some quality time (not just briefly demoing them) with the HD600/650 and DT series, you may just change your mind a little.

I'm actually in a process of buying new headphones myself, and HD600/650 or Q702's are headphones I'm considering. I spent about 2-3 hours total listening to each one in different stores and at friends who have them.  They're great headphones, but I was a bit disappointed when I heard each of those for the first time, because as I said in my first post, they didnt make me go WOW like HD558's and 598's did when i listened to them at times when senn hd212 were the best headphones i've ever owned.
However, I probably WILL buy them, or some other pair in 400-500 euros range.  Currently waiting for first Beyer T70 and Sennheiser RS220 reviews (which are apparently excellent and should be equal in terms of sound quality as HD650's, without the need for amp of course).

I'm also worried about the fact that HD600/650 have been around for a very long time, and Sennheiser has been updating pretty much all of its headphone lines this year, so i'm expecting 600's and 650's to be updated or replaced by new models pretty soon as well.

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #8,027 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm actually in a process of buying new headphones myself, and HD600/650 or Q702's are headphones I'm considering. I spent about 2-3 hours total listening to each one in different stores and at friends who have them.  They're great headphones, but I was a bit disappointed when I heard each of those for the first time, because as I said in my first post, they didnt make me go WOW like HD558's and 598's did when i listened to them at times when senn hd212 were the best headphones i've ever owned.
However, I probably WILL buy them, or some other pair in 400-500 euros range.  Currently waiting for first Beyer T70 and Sennheiser RS220 reviews (which are apparently excellent and should be equal in terms of sound quality as HD650's, without the need for amp of course).

I'm also worried about the fact that HD600/650 have been around for a very long time, and Sennheiser has been updating pretty much all of its headphone lines this year, so i'm expecting 600's and 650's to be updated or replaced by new models pretty soon as well.

Ah - totally understand.  Just remember that moving from HD212 to HD598 is a pretty big jump, both quality and comparative price.  However, moving from HD598 to 600/650 is actually a lot smaller.  You'll also find that from a good dac/amp, and with time spent with your new cans, you will likely notice more of a difference after a while.

Would suggest you keep an eye on the FS forums here.  You'll often get HD650 being offered for a reasonable price, and although the HD600s don't appear that often - they're a lot cheaper than buying retail.  The HD600/650 runs at around NZD $650-750 here ($500-600 USD).  I got mine landed from a fellow headfier (in mint condition) at USD $305 delivered NZ.

Also - if you decide DT880 instead of the Senns - definitely have a look at the Pros.  They just clamp a little tighter.  Sound is still excellent.  And saving can be quite a bit.  Again - keep an eye on the FS forums.

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #8,028 of 29,490
Hey all, I'm really new to this high quality headphone picture. All I know is that the "Beats Audio" everyone at my school has can't be that good. The best pair of headphones I ever owned was a pair of Klipsch headphones for something like $80. 

I have almost no experience with full headphones, but I've listened to a friend's full headphones before and I was blown away (all I remember is that they were Sony's). I want something that's balanced, with maybe a little oomph on the bass. I also want them to be closed and decent at noise isolation. 

I usually listen to rock, electronic, alternative, rap, just about anything goes.

I don't have any knowledge on these amps that I keep reading about. Could I listen to my Ipod Touch with just the headphones or should i buy some mini amp? 

My budget is $200 and under. I've noticed the Sennheiser HD448's would be good from from the reviews I've read, but that's really the only basis I have. Thanks in advance!

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #8,029 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, I'm really new to this high quality headphone picture. All I know is that the "Beats Audio" everyone at my school has can't be that good. The best pair of headphones I ever owned was a pair of Klipsch headphones for something like $80. 

I have almost no experience with full headphones, but I've listened to a friend's full headphones before and I was blown away (all I remember is that they were Sony's). I want something that's balanced, with maybe a little oomph on the bass. I also want them to be closed and decent at noise isolation. 

I usually listen to rock, electronic, alternative, rap, just about anything goes.

I don't have any knowledge on these amps that I keep reading about. Could I listen to my Ipod Touch with just the headphones or should i buy some mini amp? 

My budget is $200 and under. I've noticed the Sennheiser HD448's would be good from from the reviews I've read, but that's really the only basis I have. Thanks in advance!

A Sony ZX700/7510 could be right up your alley. Good sound, good looks, good isolation. The only downside is that it doesn't fold up for portability. A little older in style, the Sony V6/7506 is an age old workhorse and is very solidly built and also folds up into a small package.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #8,030 of 29,490

Hi. I am giving my friend a super portable headphone. I was thinking of the buying her the Portapro or the PX100-ii since it's a bit cheap and way better than Urbanears Plattan, which she likes. Her sounds are mostly r&b, with a little rock and hiphop. I am looking at $75 below portable headphones. Something that looks great. Thanks!​

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #8,031 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi. I am giving my friend a super portable headphone. I was thinking of the buying her the Portapro or the PX100-ii since it's a bit cheap and way better than Urbanears Plattan, which she likes. Her sounds are mostly r&b, with a little rock and hiphop. I am looking at $75 below portable headphones. Something that looks great. Thanks!​

Go with the PX100, and do something like this... http://www.head-fi.org/t/513293/easy-mod-a-shiny-red-px100
biggrin.gif

Although note that the PX100 is open backed, so does not isolate.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #8,032 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback PurpleAngel, Armaegis.
I don't think I'd be comfortable with the Superlux if they're a lil flimsy. They certainly look that way from photos.

I'm only going to be using these in my room, so portability not much of a concern.

I'll probably try to find a shop that lets me try the DT770, 840 and M50.
Anyone can provide a comparison with the SHP9000? Those are much more budget friendly and from what I hear, pretty good too.

So I made a quick trip to Jaben here in Singapore to try out a few cans. Tried the SRH840s, the M50s, and the DT770 80ohm.
Again, I'm no discerning listener, but to my ears, I liked the DT770s the most by far. It also helps that they are ALSO the most comfortable.
They didn't have any more stock for the 80ohm model, so I'll have to wait for them to come in.

However, in my time since then, I've been reading more online and am now wondering, should I give Superlux a go instead as PurpleAngel suggested?

Main question now: How would the 668B or 669 compare to the DT770-80? It's a huge price diff for sure.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #8,034 of 29,490
It's all diminishing returns from here; only you can determine if its worth it for you. With the Beyers, you're getting better construction, isolation, and comfort. Disregrading sound quality, how much are those factors worth to you?

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #8,035 of 29,490

Quote:
It's all diminishing returns from here; only you can determine if its worth it for you. With the Beyers, you're getting better construction, isolation, and comfort. Disregrading sound quality, how much are those factors worth to you?

Comfort is a fairly big factor, and altho sound quality is what I'm after most, I do admit, I appreciate the better build quality of the Beyers.

I will be heading to a nearby shop that has the Superlux to try it out. The decision will be very hard if the Superlux sound nearly as good. But if they do not, then its an easy choice. :)

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #8,037 of 29,490

Quote:

HD448 dont really isolate that good even though they are closed, and their bass is not really that good.  I had HD438's, which are suppose to be more bass heavy version of 448, and even those are weaker in bass than my opened HD558's.
If your budget is 200 dollars, and you want something that would be usable without an amp, I think everyone here would agree that Audio Technica M50, Shure SRH840, Sennheiser HD25-1-II and Sennheiser HD380 are best choices if you want closed headphones with balanced and neutral sound, and great isolation. All of them will work nicely without amp as well.  However, if you really want a lot of bass, then go for Denon AH-D1100.

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #8,038 of 29,490
well, i forgot about this thread until after i created my own, so i'll just post my thread here in hopes of more answers than just from my own thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575569/hd600-or-hd650

"
I'm in the market for a headphone upgrade, (i only own an ad700 and the monoprice mph 839) and looking mostly at getting either a pair of hd600 or hd650 (or something similar in the price range, mid 300's)

they are and will be powered through an e7/e9 combo, although it is not to be assumed i could not upgrade those at a later date.

Most of the music i listen to is electronica, (mostly trance, vocal trance, a little bit of progressive and dubstep) metal, rap/hip hop, and a bit of classical and pop.

originally i was leaning more towards the 650's but i thought i'd get a quick last suggestion from my lovely brethren here, so critique/suggest all you guys want, i'm all ears, thanks :D"

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #8,039 of 29,490
I'm considering upgrading my home cans. To wit: I currently own Sennheiser HD 497s and Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. Both are serviceable, but my IEMs [Panasonic HJE900] win out, and with two more IEMs on the way [VSonic GR07 & MEElectronics A151], I figure it might be time to consider adding in a higher end home 'phone.

My music listening spans almost all varieties; I tend to skew towards rap/hip hop and all sorts of rock & metal, but I mix in all other types as well. I'd prefer to not have to amp this, but I do listen through my computer, so because I use the onboard audio chip, I would consider getting a separate sound card if it would help; otherwise, they need to be able to be driven without help.

Because it's primarily for home use, open or closed is irrelevant. Over the ear or on the ear doesn't matter too much, so long as they're reasonably comfortable. I'd like to limit the price; around USD 200 would be the probable limit.

A few extra notes: the HD 497s happen to be my first foray into decent headphones; next came the HD 280s, then the HJE900s, and then the GR07 & A151. What I really want are hifi speakers, but due to budget & room constraints, I figure a better pair of headphones are a good alternative.

I do remember that when I got the HD 280s, I almost got the Audio Technica A900s instead, but that was quite a while ago.

Let me know if I missed any details.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #8,040 of 29,490

Quote:
well, i forgot about this thread until after i created my own, so i'll just post my thread here in hopes of more answers than just from my own thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575569/hd600-or-hd650

"
I'm in the market for a headphone upgrade, (i only own an ad700 and the monoprice mph 839) and looking mostly at getting either a pair of hd600 or hd650 (or something similar in the price range, mid 300's)

they are and will be powered through an e7/e9 combo, although it is not to be assumed i could not upgrade those at a later date.

Most of the music i listen to is electronica, (mostly trance, vocal trance, a little bit of progressive and dubstep) metal, rap/hip hop, and a bit of classical and pop.

originally i was leaning more towards the 650's but i thought i'd get a quick last suggestion from my lovely brethren here, so critique/suggest all you guys want, i'm all ears, thanks :D"

I honestly did not find a huge difference between the 600 and 650, and I used to own the 580 as well with upgraded grills/cable which essentially made it a 600.

Are you happy with the AD700? What do you like/dislike/want more of?

Quote:
I'm considering upgrading my home cans. To wit: I currently own Sennheiser HD 497s and Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. Both are serviceable, but my IEMs [Panasonic HJE900] win out, and with two more IEMs on the way [VSonic GR07 & MEElectronics A151], I figure it might be time to consider adding in a higher end home 'phone.

My music listening spans almost all varieties; I tend to skew towards rap/hip hop and all sorts of rock & metal, but I mix in all other types as well. I'd prefer to not have to amp this, but I do listen through my computer, so because I use the onboard audio chip, I would consider getting a separate sound card if it would help; otherwise, they need to be able to be driven without help.

Because it's primarily for home use, open or closed is irrelevant. Over the ear or on the ear doesn't matter too much, so long as they're reasonably comfortable. I'd like to limit the price; around USD 200 would be the probable limit.

A few extra notes: the HD 497s happen to be my first foray into decent headphones; next came the HD 280s, then the HJE900s, and then the GR07 & A151. What I really want are hifi speakers, but due to budget & room constraints, I figure a better pair of headphones are a good alternative.

I do remember that when I got the HD 280s, I almost got the Audio Technica A900s instead, but that was quite a while ago.

Let me know if I missed any details.

While they generally like to have an amp behind them, consider a Beyerdynamic DT880. An Ultrasone HFi780 could also be an interesting option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back