++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 1, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #7,726 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for a new pair of headphones. Constraints:

1) I'll wear them in public so I'd like to not have a ton of sound leakage (some would be okay if it means better headphones)
2) Something that I can wear for about 2 hours without getting uncomfortable
4) I listen to just about everything acoustic, classical, rock, techno, rap
3) <= $300
5) Noise canceling would be a plus but not essential

I've been looking at a pair of Grados but I'm a bit worried about the sound leakage. How bad is it? Can I switch out the cushins to help this? Thank you.

Grados are practically louder on the outside than in. Some options to consider that are comfy and have good isolation with relatively balanced sound...
Shure 840/940
Senn HD380
B&W P5

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #7,727 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for a new pair of headphones. Constraints:

1) I'll wear them in public so I'd like to not have a ton of sound leakage (some would be okay if it means better headphones)
2) Something that I can wear for about 2 hours without getting uncomfortable
4) I listen to just about everything acoustic, classical, rock, techno, rap
3) <= $300
5) Noise canceling would be a plus but not essential

I've been looking at a pair of Grados but I'm a bit worried about the sound leakage. How bad is it? Can I switch out the cushins to help this? Thank you.

Start out with something cheap, Superlux HD-668B.
Semi-open headphones.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #7,728 of 29,490
I own the SR850s which are 668B clones, and I gotta tell you, they sound great but they're not exactly quiet. Not library material. If you went Superlux, the HD661s might be available sometime soonish, and they're closed, and sound quite good from what I hear.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #7,729 of 29,490
Hey guys, not entirely sure what to search so figured I'd just make a new post. Need a new pair of cans, but don't know where to start with the comparisons and all that.Currently have the HD555s with the foam pad things removed. Just ran into a problem, want to upgrade.Budget: $200-$300, assuming it's worth it. Near the bang for my buck that the HD555s were would be great.- Being noticeably better than the HD555s is a must, obviously.
- Would like good all around performance as I don't really stick to any particular genres of music and I also watch a lot of movies, shows, and play plenty of games. I suppose just in terms of music I drift towards alt/indie rock the most but I still tend to hear a range of sounds, so versatility is important.
- I did feel a little lack of bass with the HD555s, there was some but I would like to really feel the vibrations a bit so that would be cool, but if it's at a sacrifice to clarity/sharpness, then screw it.Over or on ears is best, don't care about portability (have a decent pair of IEMs for that), I'd mostly have the HD555's plugged into my computer and I'd tend to spend most of my time at 3%-5% volume, so hopefully that tells you about my need or lack of for amps and such.

EDIT: And I don't mind them being open or closed, isolated or not isolated, but I don't want to pay extra for or lose sound quality for either one, I'm just going to be using the phones at home with my computer.

Thanks for any help.

So it seems like the HD598's get recommend a lot. The other headphones that fit my needs, how do they compare to the HD598 in terms of their bang to buck ratio, as well the sound? I just need a balanced headphone at this point, it's my only source of sound on my PC and I'd need it for everything, I don't want it to do better for alt rock in music but then be kind of crappy for gaming/films.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #7,730 of 29,490
Hey guys, not entirely sure what to search so figured I'd just make a new post. Need a new pair of cans, but don't know where to start with the comparisons and all that.Currently have the HD555s with the foam pad things removed. Just ran into a problem, want to upgrade.Budget: $200-$300, assuming it's worth it. Near the bang for my buck that the HD555s were would be great.- Being noticeably better than the HD555s is a must, obviously.
- Would like good all around performance as I don't really stick to any particular genres of music and I also watch a lot of movies, shows, and play plenty of games. I suppose just in terms of music I drift towards alt/indie rock the most but I still tend to hear a range of sounds, so versatility is important.
- I did feel a little lack of bass with the HD555s, there was some but I would like to really feel the vibrations a bit so that would be cool, but if it's at a sacrifice to clarity/sharpness, then screw it.Over or on ears is best, don't care about portability (have a decent pair of IEMs for that), I'd mostly have the HD555's plugged into my computer and I'd tend to spend most of my time at 3%-5% volume, so hopefully that tells you about my need or lack of for amps and such.

EDIT: And I don't mind them being open or closed, isolated or not isolated, but I don't want to pay extra for or lose sound quality for either one, I'm just going to be using the phones at home with my computer.

Thanks for any help.

So it seems like the HD598's get recommend a lot. The other headphones that fit my needs, how do they compare to the HD598 in terms of their bang to buck ratio, as well the sound? I just need a balanced headphone at this point, it's my only source of sound on my PC and I'd need it for everything, I don't want it to do better for alt rock in music but then be kind of crappy for gaming/films.

That's why the 598 gets recommended so much. It doesn't so any genre bad, IMO. They're my choice for gaming and movies with simulated 5.1, and work well with every genre out there. They excel in a few but aren't bad with anything that I've heard. Best bang for your buck in the Head-Fi realm that I've found.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #7,731 of 29,490
That's why the 598 gets recommended so much. It doesn't so any genre bad, IMO. They're my choice for gaming and movies with simulated 5.1, and work well with every genre out there. They excel in a few but aren't bad with anything that I've heard. Best bang for your buck in the Head-Fi realm that I've found.

Where would be a good place to buy a pair? I'll wait the weekend and do some more research since they won't be shipped during that time anyway, but I'm looking up some reviews and info now and people keep mentiioning prices in the mid to high $100s, whereas now I see it on places like Amazon in the low to mid $200s. Are all the good deals gone?

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #7,732 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi fellas,let me tell u that i am a noob and am very excited be here
biggrin.gif
.I am in the process of buying a headphone from the US(m from india)  and cant get the Grados out of my mind,my budget is $150-$175
redface.gif
 and i listen mostly to rock/metal.And i'd be listening them on a cowon C2,will it suffice or should i go for the FIIO E7 or a better source.  

can i please get some inputs
redface.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #7,733 of 29,490

Where would be a good place to buy a pair? I'll wait the weekend and do some more research since they won't be shipped during that time anyway, but I'm looking up some reviews and info now and people keep mentiioning prices in the mid to high $100s, whereas now I see it on places like Amazon in the low to mid $200s. Are all the good deals gone?

A seller on Amazon recently had them for 180. A few people in the HD 598 thread are upset about missing them, too. I'd say look for a used pair around these parts. I got mine for 170 here when the price norm was around 220. They change quite a bit as they're a popular headphone but you can usually trust them to wit around 150-220.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #7,735 of 29,490
Looking for upgrade on PortaPros with a ~100€ budget. MS-1i seems good, what else should I be looking at? I'd like to have at least the same bass as the Portapros have, but maybe less midbass and better extension. 
I listen to pretty much everything from drum'n'bass and dubstep to heavy metal.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #7,737 of 29,490
Looking for advice regarding several options I am considering.

I have Grado SR80i headphones. I want to use them with my Xbox 360, so I need to get an amp, at least. I also spend a lot of time listening to music on my laptop, so I'm looking at DACs or DAC/Amps, too.

Anyone have any thoughts on which of the following would be better? Any other options I should consider?

OPTION 1 - buy HRT Music Streamer II and PA2V2
         Laptop --> HRT Music Streamer II (USB DAC) --> PA2V2 (AMP) --> SR80i
         Xbox 360 --> PA2V2 --> SR80i

OPTION 2 - buy FiiO E7 or E10 (when it comes out) and PA2V2
         Laptop --> FiiO E7 or E10 (USB DAC/AMP) --> SR80i

OPTION 3 - just buy a cheap amp for use with the Xbox and forget about the DAC/AMP for the laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #7,738 of 29,490
Looking for advice regarding several options I am considering.

I have Grado SR80i headphones. I want to use them with my Xbox 360, so I need to get an amp, at least. I also spend a lot of time listening to music on my laptop, so I'm looking at DACs or DAC/Amps, too.

Anyone have any thoughts on which of the following would be better? Any other options I should consider?

OPTION 1 - buy HRT Music Streamer II and PA2V2
         Laptop --> HRT Music Streamer II (USB DAC) --> PA2V2 (AMP) --> SR80i

OPTION 2 - buy FiiO E7 or E10 (when it comes out) and PA2V2
         Laptop --> FiiO E7 or E10 (USB DAC/AMP) --> SR80i

OPTION 3 - just buy a cheap amp for use with the Xbox and forget about the DAC/AMP for the laptop.

Thanks in advance.

What about an AstroMixamp? You'll get USB, TOSLINK, Coax. You can hook it up easily and use rechargeable batteries (or USB bus power). Sound is good and it gives you simulated 5.1 for movies and games. And it lets you use anything you want for mic and headphOnes on your Xbox.

Great device for gamers wanting to get nicer headphones.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #7,739 of 29,490
I finally took the plunge and ordered a pair of DT 990-600s. So far, they sound really good to me. However, I'm concerned about the fit.

The left side cannot seem to stay 'locked' on one of the dots denoting length. If I wiggle the left earpiece, it falls, losing the length adjusted for my head. With the DT 990s, if I tap the left earpiece wit my finger, it 'falls' down until it's 5 dots in length. My M50s in contrast don't move up and down as easily.

Is this something I can fix or should I exchange them for another pair? I bought them from Amazon btw.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #7,740 of 29,490
I'm looking to buy custom MMX300's while BD has their 15% deal.

From my understanding they're DT770s with a mic but what I want to know is the different between the ear cup materials. I don't think I want velour because I want isolation but I'm not sure whether to get leather or gel pads. I've also heard that there's a different between the transparent gel and the black gel cup. Any insight on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back