++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #7,712 of 29,490
Question?

I know everyone knows that beats are a rip off for what they actually do...
But the fact of the matter is, they actually look good to wear!
For the record I'm new to this and know very little about headphones BUT I've been looking around for some good headphones with nice bass for "dance" type music and almost everything that I've read on here are totally hideous and you would just look like a right Muppet wearing them in public!
You guys never walking around town and a someone walks past with dinner plates on the side of his head, bopping away to himself and you think to your self "ha what a Muppet!" because the fact of the matter is, most headphones are to be used locked away in a dark room

Someone please help me find some good headphones with excellent bass for dance music for around the price tag of beats studios that actually look good to wear (like the beats)

*EDIT* also i forgot to mention that they need to have minimal noise leakage as theres nothing worse that hearing the music coming from peoples headphones on the bus, soooo anoying haha

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #7,713 of 29,490
Hi people, I'm looking for a budget pair of full-size headphones. My budget is $50-100. I'd prefer if the headphones had a flat response to them. Thanks

Sennheiser HD 280, or Sony MDR V6. They get my vote.

Question?

I know everyone knows that beats are a rip off for what they actually do...
But the fact of the matter is, they actually look good to wear!
For the record I'm new to this and know very little about headphones BUT I've been looking around for some good headphones with nice bass for "dance" type music and almost everything that I've read on here are totally hideous and you would just look like a right Muppet wearing them in public!
You guys never walking around town and a someone walks past with dinner plates on the side of his head, bopping away to himself and you think to your self "ha what a Muppet!" because the fact of the matter is, most headphones are to be used locked away in a dark room

Someone please help me find some good headphones with excellent bass for dance music for around the price tag of beats studios that actually look good to wear (like the beats)

IMO Beats look horrible...but that's like...my opinion man.

Either way...here's some to consider...

Senn. HE 25-1 II Adidas Edition
Phiaton MS400
AIAIAI TMA-1
Skullcandy Aviators (Makes me cringe to recommend them, but they're not half bad)
Pioneer HDJ 2000
ATH ESW9
ATH ES10

EDIT:
Pro 750 (Grey)
Pro 900

Also (to bolded section)...That's why portables have good isolation. So we can't hear people talking about our headphones.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #7,714 of 29,490

Quote:
I would really have been considering it if I had lived in the States.
normal_smile%20.gif
 But the prices in the EU is quite much higher. So I will try to buy second-hand. Have seen that they in the UK make a package with my headphone amp and either Prestige SR325is ore Reference RS 1i. So I guess it's a okey combination? The question is how much better RS1i is. I have read some reviews and some say that the difference is huge, while others barely hear any difference. I am also interested Alessandro MS-Pro. As some said to be better and more neutral than RS1i but by others more boring and with a thinner sound. Looking for something that sounds completely different than my K-701.

I would go for the Alessandro then, considering they don't have the ridiculous price hike outside of the US. Or get the Symphones Magnum
ph34r.gif

Quote:
Hi people, I'm looking for a budget pair of full-size headphones. My budget is $50-100. I'd prefer if the headphones had a flat response to them. Thanks

Senn HD280
Sony V6/7506
Shure 440

Quote:
Question?I know everyone knows that beats are a rip off for what they actually do...But the fact of the matter is, they actually look good to wear!For the record I'm new to this and know very little about headphones BUT I've been looking around for some good headphones with nice bass for "dance" type music and almost everything that I've read on here are totally hideous and you would just look like a right Muppet wearing them in public!You guys never walking around town and a someone walks past with dinner plates on the side of his head, bopping away to himself and you think to your self "ha what a Muppet!" because the fact of the matter is, most headphones are to be used locked away in a dark roomSomeone please help me find some good headphones with excellent bass for dance music for around the price tag of beats studios that actually look good to wear (like the beats)

*EDIT* also i forgot to mention that they need to have minimal noise leakage as theres nothing worse that hearing the music coming from peoples headphones on the bus, soooo anoying haha

Pioneer HDJ-500 or 2000 if you want to spend the big bucks.
Ultrasone HFi580 or Pro900

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #7,715 of 29,490
Quote:

I'd recommend the Superlux HD668Bs. They're on the low end of your price range, flat, and sound great. They also have quite a few reviews:

http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-hd668b/

Edit: I've also heard that the HD660's are excellent and very musical, too, but I can't say from experience. They're closed vs. the 668Bs semi-open design.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #7,717 of 29,490
Thanks for the replys, must admit tho, still pretty damn ugly haha but them 2000's look decent is there anymore you guys would recomend for abit less money £289 is abit much, looking more for the £200 mark thanks:)

Why do you find them ugly and Beats attractive...? Seriously? The Phiaton MS400 is gorgeous...Even though it's a little gaudy (like Beats)...Or the ES10...

I feel trolled.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #7,719 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Consider the Alessandro series instead, since they don't have a ridiculous price markup outside of the US. Your Cowon should be good enough. If looking for a portable amp, decide whether you need the dac portion or not. If you only need the amp, then something like the e6 or e11 would be better.

But the prob is that they haven't got anything in between $99-$299 and btw i'll buying them from the US 

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #7,721 of 29,490
Dammit I'm back to this thread, not like that wasn't predicable with my last purchase of the Q701's.  Those phones have satisfied my unacceptable obsession with tegan and sara's live recordings, and I plan on getting a set of HD-25's for recording drums, but there is one little teensy section of music that is left without satisfaction, and that I'm not sure that headphones can fulfill the desire for at all.  I've got a set of Audio Pulse Revo 10D2's in a car that would require quite a bit of my weekend time to get running again (I would just rather spend my time with a piano), So I'm left wondering how much would I have to spend to get the same level of control as low as those can go.  For comparison the Q701's will go exceptionally low for open phones. My test track is Bass I love you which has a 7Hz low note, the lowest that I know off and my 10D2's can barely pull it off and is almost not noticeable with the Q701's.  I want to know, is there a set of phones out there that can give you the same ominous sense of dread and loss as the super low rolling helicopter note's in the beastie boys track live wire, and would anyone be willing to trade car audio equipment for them?  I've got a new hobby of making music and can't afford that along with my car audio setup, but I can't live without my really unethical obsession with bass.

Even if you don't have what I want, what would you trade for Audio Pulse Revo 10D2's + sundown Audio D1500 + Pioneer PRS720's and some quality wiring (streetwires 4channel RCA and Power + knukonceptz Power (00 guage) wire.  I realize that this isn't a car audio forum, and maybe I'll loose some money with a trade here, but I don't want to spend the money to finish my car audio system but I can't live without those sounds So if there are headphones that can produce those sounds I would be fine with a deal slanted not in my favor. I'm not using this equipment at all right now so it's going to waste.  For those that don't know the Revo 10D2's are not kicker style bass monsters, they can go very low ported correctly but require unreasonably long ports to do so (55"-60"X 10"X4"), sealed they sound VERY tight and controlled, and honestly so much better for kicks than the Q701's, really, I've done both ported and sealed, just keep em sealed it's bliss.

If no one is interested in a trade I still need to know If that can be satisfied with headphones.  The car thing I would rather not spend my money on being that it won't ever be detailed enough in the mid range, and at home I can't crank it with speakers.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #7,722 of 29,490
The reason i think the beats look good is because im 17 from the uk and it seems to go nicely with my age group over here, kind of a "fashion" thing dare i say haha

Plus thanks for the suggestions but the ms 400's dont seem to be availble to buy in the uk plus they look abit "cheap" and "skinny" basically look taccy and like they would snap easy

+ them other ones are still like £270 so not much improvement from 286 haha

btw just for the record dont mean to offend anyone by calling headphones ugly, just an opinion and i really appreciate the help :)

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #7,723 of 29,490

Quote:
Dammit I'm back to this thread, not like that wasn't predicable with my last purchase of the Q701's.  Those phones have satisfied my unacceptable obsession with tegan and sara's live recordings, and I plan on getting a set of HD-25's for recording drums, but there is one little teensy section of music that is left without satisfaction, and that I'm not sure that headphones can fulfill the desire for at all.  I've got a set of Audio Pulse Revo 10D2's in a car that would require quite a bit of my weekend time to get running again (I would just rather spend my time with a piano), So I'm left wondering how much would I have to spend to get the same level of control as low as those can go.  For comparison the Q701's will go exceptionally low for open phones. My test track is Bass I love you which has a 7Hz low note, the lowest that I know off and my 10D2's can barely pull it off and is almost not noticeable with the Q701's.  I want to know, is there a set of phones out there that can give you the same ominous sense of dread and loss as the super low rolling helicopter note's in the beastie boys track live wire, and would anyone be willing to trade car audio equipment for them?  I've got a new hobby of making music and can't afford that along with my car audio setup, but I can't live without my really unethical obsession with bass.

Even if you don't have what I want, what would you trade for Audio Pulse Revo 10D2's + sundown Audio D1500 + Pioneer PRS720's and some quality wiring (streetwires 4channel RCA and Power + knukonceptz Power (00 guage) wire.  I realize that this isn't a car audio forum, and maybe I'll loose some money with a trade here, but I don't want to spend the money to finish my car audio system but I can't live without those sounds So if there are headphones that can produce those sounds I would be fine with a deal slanted not in my favor. I'm not using this equipment at all right now so it's going to waste.  For those that don't know the Revo 10D2's are not kicker style bass monsters, they can go very low ported correctly but require unreasonably long ports to do so (55"-60"X 10"X4"), sealed they sound VERY tight and controlled, and honestly so much better for kicks than the Q701's, really, I've done both ported and sealed, just keep em sealed it's bliss.

If no one is interested in a trade I still need to know If that can be satisfied with headphones.  The car thing I would rather not spend my money on being that it won't ever be detailed enough in the mid range, and at home I can't crank it with speakers.

Jebus... 7Hz?!? Any sense of recognizable tones disappears by 40Hz (30Hz if you consider farting a tone). Not many drivers nor amplifiers can even handle that... and in any event, putting out pressure waves like that so close to your ear is a bad idea, especially since you'll be cranking it up to even "hear" it. 

That said, if you're just looking for bass cannons... Sony XB 500/700, Beyer DT770, AKG K181...

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #7,724 of 29,490
That is why I'm not sure head phones can do that, in a car it's not so much hearing as a full body feeling. I'm really not sure that even if a set of phones could do it proper that it would be the same, 7Hz is really the lowest you can go, 8hz is where tesla predicted the resonance of the earth was.  It's really just a nervous vibration.  The thing is in a car you have cabin gain that makes those notes possible, I just can't afford the infinite baffle setup to make that happen in a house with speakers.

Just so you know what I'm talking about this is the track played with drivers of the same design as mine (ones in the video have a cross wound coil, mine are straight wound), (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b-UkRvXvSc) just larger, Don't think that 7Hz is easy even in a small box like a car, it takes a LOT of power, the 10" 10d2's take 1500W rms each, which reminds me I also have a 300 Amp alternator, but may need a new rear bearing.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #7,725 of 29,490
Looking for a new pair of headphones. Constraints:

1) I'll wear them in public so I'd like to not have a ton of sound leakage (some would be okay if it means better headphones)
2) Something that I can wear for about 2 hours without getting uncomfortable
4) I listen to just about everything acoustic, classical, rock, techno, rap
3) <= $300
5) Noise canceling would be a plus but not essential

I've been looking at a pair of Grados but I'm a bit worried about the sound leakage. How bad is it? Can I switch out the cushins to help this? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back