++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #7,697 of 29,490
All around closed phones?

Looking for something i can use listening to: classic rock. pop, some rap, while watching movies on my pc, and maybe connecting them to my TV.

my portable audio source is a sansa clip, id prefer some phones that  i dont need to use an amp to drive them....i do have a home built cmoy amp kicking around somewhere.

budget? for NIB id prefer 200 max, but willing to buy used if that means i can aim for better headphones at cheaper used prices...

also, not afraid to do some mods to make decent headphones better!

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #7,698 of 29,490
Hi..

Does the ATH M50 have a "big bass" i.e one that you can actually feel the vibration from??

Any replies, could you please message me 

You need some Sony XB series headphones. Tons of subwoofer like bass. They really shake. Maybe an XB 700. Should be in your budget.

Looking for something i can use listening to: classic rock. pop, some rap, while watching movies on my pc, and maybe connecting them to my TV.

my portable audio source is a sansa clip, id prefer some phones that  i dont need to use an amp to drive them....i do have a home built cmoy amp kicking around somewhere.

budget? for NIB id prefer 200 max, but willing to buy used if that means i can aim for better headphones at cheaper used prices...

Used Pro 750 would be my suggestion. Not just because I'm sellIng one but because they're a great all rounder and are easily powered. I love mine at home and for a portable (though they are a little big).

Edit: depending on how much portable use they will get check out the Beyer DT 1350 and Senn HD 25-1 II. 2 more portable all rounders.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #7,699 of 29,490
Hi fellas,let me tell u that i am a noob and am very excited be here
biggrin.gif
.I am in the process of buying a headphone from the US(m from india)  and cant get the Grados out of my mind,my budget is $150-$175
redface.gif
 and i listen mostly to rock/metal.And i'd be listening them on a cowon C2,will it suffice or should i go for the FIIO E7 or a better source.  

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #7,700 of 29,490
biggrin.gif
.I am in the process of buying a headphone from the US(m from india)  and cant get the Grados out of my mind,my budget is $150-$175
redface.gif
 and i listen mostly to rock/metal.And i'd be listening them on a cowon C2,will it suffice or should i go for the FIIO E7 or a better source.  

Wouldn't worry about the E7. Grados are very easy to power.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #7,703 of 29,490
Thinking a bit on extending my headphone setup with a pair of Grado headphones. Today I play on a couple of AKG 701 headphones with a LehmannAudio Rhinelander headphone amplifier and a Music Streamer II + (2011) as source (also have a Rega P5 record player). 

I like the sound and it feels like a good combination, but I would like to have a second pair of headphones.I've only heard a couple of older Grado SR 225 headphones out from the headphone output of a Linn Majik DSI, but it made ​​me want to try more. Very musical and worked with all kinds of music.

I have recently read some about the Grado headphones, but it easily falls into that I want to buy a pair of GS1000i, which is not really a second pair of headphones, and they maybe fit alot better with a different headphone amp?  

So, wich headphones do you belive I could sit happy with in my current system?

Thanks,

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #7,704 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a nice headphone for listening to pop, rock music.
Budgets: $300 or less
I really like the bright and forward sound of my friend's ms1i.
Currently, I'm looking forward to sr325is, sr225i, ms2is, he300, hd598.
I just don't know what to get...
Vocal is the most important thing for me. Bass with impact (not really important)

*Edit

I'm a novice to this.
I have Fiio E11 and a garbage earphones maybe?

I say take the plunge with the MS2i, and there's always the magnum upgrade in the future if you want.

They're fairly easy to drive, so don't worry about an amp right away.

Quote:
[quote name="Armaegis" I consider the DT770 to have too much bass for competitive gaming. If I were moving up from the HD280, I'd go for the HD380. 
I tried the DT770s and really liked them. Unfortunately the pair also had the left ear buzzing , after browsing around seems too common an issue for me to bother.
Can anyone comment on the HD380s soundstage in comparison (specifically gaming) ?[/quote]

Soundstage is good for a closed can; better than the DT770 from my recollection although I never compared them directly.

Quote:
Hi..

Does the ATH M50 have a "big bass" i.e one that you can actually feel the vibration from??

Any replies, could you please message me 

The M50 delivers decent impact, but not "big bass". You'll want to look at the likes of the Sony XB series, Ultrasone HFi580/Pro750/900, Audio Technica Pro700mk, Beyer DT770, etc.

Quote:

I feel like recommending the Audio Technica ESW9a since it doesn't seem to get much mention lately. Small and portable, moderate isolation, nice even sound, good soundstage for a small closed headphone. They can be found new close to your budget, and used easily below.

Quote:
biggrin.gif
redface.gif

Consider the Alessandro series instead, since they don't have a ridiculous price markup outside of the US. Your Cowon should be good enough. If looking for a portable amp, decide whether you need the dac portion or not. If you only need the amp, then something like the e6 or e11 would be better.

Quote:
Thinking a bit on extending my headphone setup with a pair of Grado headphones. Today I play on a couple of AKG 701 headphones with a LehmannAudio Rhinelander headphone amplifier and a Music Streamer II + (2011) as source (also have a Rega P5 record player). 

I like the sound and it feels like a good combination, but I would like to have a second pair of headphones.I've only heard a couple of older Grado SR 225 headphones out from the headphone output of a Linn Majik DSI, but it made ​​me want to try more. Very musical and worked with all kinds of music.

I have recently read some about the Grado headphones, but it easily falls into that I want to buy a pair of GS1000i, which is not really a second pair of headphones, and they maybe fit alot better with a different headphone amp?  

So, wich headphones do you belive I could sit happy with in my current system?

Thanks,

How about taking a plunge on the new Grado PS500 and telling us about it?
cool.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #7,706 of 29,490

Quote:
biggrin.gif
redface.gif

Alessandro MS-1i. You don't need the FiiO, but I found it a very good pairing with these cans. Great for the bass boost.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #7,707 of 29,490

Quote:
would senn 280 pro's fit my needs? would they be better or worse than other recommendations? can they be driven without an amp?

Relatively flat response with a bit of a bass hump, fantastic isolation, though somewhat hard clamp. It also has a long cord, though some people don't mind that for portable as long as you tie it up.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #7,708 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm a college student who needs new cans. I'm thinking of Denon 2000 and the Ultrasone 900. I listen to rock, rap, hip hop, pop, classical, and jazz. I'd like them to be isolated, though not that important. I will most likely not use an amp or would buy a simple one. Also, how exactly portable are they? How do they compare in sound quality and bang for the buck? Can you recommend others? Budget is around $300 give or take $100.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #7,709 of 29,490
The D2000 are amazing but not exactly portable in any sense. They're fragile, huge, and don't have great isolation. 

If you like Classical and Jazz you may want to think about the Pro 750 instead of the 900. The 900 is great for things you want heavy bass for, but not too good for those genres. The Pro 750 is a better all-rounder overall, IMO. 

Both are easy to power though, which is nice. Also consider the Phiaton MS400. A good all rounder with slight edge toward bass. They look good, and sound good too. Decent isolation and pretty portable.

How much would you be using these in a dorm/on the go? Depending on that I could make a few more suggestions.

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm a college student who needs new cans. I'm thinking of Denon 2000 and the Ultrasone 900. I listen to rock, rap, hip hop, pop, classical, and jazz. I'd like them to be isolated, though not that important. I will most likely not use an amp or would buy a simple one. Also, how exactly portable are they? How do they compare in sound quality and bang for the buck? Can you recommend others? Budget is around $300 give or take $100.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #7,710 of 29,490

Quote:
How about taking a plunge on the new Grado PS500 and telling us about it?
cool.gif

I would really have been considering it if I had lived in the States.
normal_smile .gif
 But the prices in the EU is quite much higher. So I will try to buy second-hand. Have seen that they in the UK make a package with my headphone amp and either Prestige SR325is ore Reference RS 1i. So I guess it's a okey combination? The question is how much better RS1i is. I have read some reviews and some say that the difference is huge, while others barely hear any difference. I am also interested Alessandro MS-Pro. As some said to be better and more neutral than RS1i but by others more boring and with a thinner sound. Looking for something that sounds completely different than my K-701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back