++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 29, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #7,681 of 29,490

Quote:
How about some Senn. PX series stuff? Nice and light. I used to run in mine.  

Or the 680 series, which is their sport line and somewhat water/sweat resistant. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #7,682 of 29,490
What kind of music do you listen to? Yes the 840's do not have a foldable design and are sometimes uncomfortable to wear (they're uncomfortable to me).
Ultrasone headphones [HFI-580 (most bass of the HFI series), HFI-680 (regarded as the most balanced of the HFI series), HFI-780 (more treble than the other HFI series headphones), Pro 750, Pro 900)] and the Audio Technica ATH-M50 come to mind for 'folding' headphones.

Mostly rock (and its various subgenres). And a lot of instrumental and acoustic pieces. The Pro 750s are a bit out of my price range apparently but the 680s seem interesting. Are the pads for the Ultrasones replaceable? Leather pads usually suffocate my ears.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #7,683 of 29,490
Mostly rock (and its various subgenres). And a lot of instrumental and acoustic pieces. The Pro 750s are a bit out of my price range apparently but the 680s seem interesting. Are the pads for the Ultrasones replaceable? Leather pads usually suffocate my ears.

Not on the HFI line. Their Pro series have replaceable ear pads though.

Sorry, I don't know too many portable velour-padded headphones to make a recommendation on that note. Maybe you can look into on-ear headphones like the Audio Technica ES7, ESW9/10?

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #7,684 of 29,490
Hello all! I am new to the world of expensive audio equipment and was hoping for some advice on new equipment.

I currently have a set of MDR-V6s with beyer velour pads and a uDAC-2. The sound seems pretty good to me, but I'm no expert. I like listening to music at work because I'm at a desk the entire time, and I figure if I invest money into some better equipment, it'll last me pretty much forever. What would be the best way to upgrade my sound from here? Cost is not really an object, though considering I'm new to this I'm hesitant to spend $1500 on HD800s. 
tongue.gif

I typically listen to metal and industrial music. I'm not sure what kind of sound I like, but out of my current setup, I have trouble hearing the bass line in metal tracks. Granted, I'm sure it's almost mixed out of a lot of tracks, but I'm hopeful new gear could do something about that.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #7,685 of 29,490

Quote:
Anyone recommend foldable headphones, budget is now ~$200 (up from 100-150). I'm mainly interested in the SRH 840s but I heard the band is flat at the top and is fairly uncomfortable.

foldable, <$200, not-leather earpads, rock/acoustic/instrumental...

Quote:
Hello all! I am new to the world of expensive audio equipment and was hoping for some advice on new equipment.

I currently have a set of MDR-V6s with beyer velour pads and a uDAC-2. The sound seems pretty good to me, but I'm no expert. I like listening to music at work because I'm at a desk the entire time, and I figure if I invest money into some better equipment, it'll last me pretty much forever. What would be the best way to upgrade my sound from here? Cost is not really an object, though considering I'm new to this I'm hesitant to spend $1500 on HD800s. 
tongue.gif

I typically listen to metal and industrial music. I'm not sure what kind of sound I like, but out of my current setup, I have trouble hearing the bass line in metal tracks. Granted, I'm sure it's almost mixed out of a lot of tracks, but I'm hopeful new gear could do something about that.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm assuming you'll want to stay within type and stick with closed portable headphones and a usb dac/amp...

headphones: Shure 940, Ultrasone HFi780,
amp: Centrace Dacport, iBasso D12, XM6

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #7,687 of 29,490
Sep 30, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #7,688 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm assuming you'll want to stay within type and stick with closed portable headphones and a usb dac/amp...

This is probably a good idea because I'm not sure how much open cans would bother people at work, but if there's a particularly good value for a certain set of open cans, I'd love to hear about it. USB DAC is required, but separate DAC and amp wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

I think $600 at once might be a bit much, so if you could recommend one item for <$300 that would improve my setup the most, what would you pick?

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #7,690 of 29,490

Quote:
This is probably a good idea because I'm not sure how much open cans would bother people at work, but if there's a particularly good value for a certain set of open cans, I'd love to hear about it. USB DAC is required, but separate DAC and amp wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

I think $600 at once might be a bit much, so if you could recommend one item for <$300 that would improve my setup the most, what would you pick?

Getting headphones would be the more noticeable improvement for you.

I would say a combo dac/amp for simplicity would be the better way to go.

For open cans, there's a pretty good range of headphones to look in to. The Beyer DT880/990, Senn HD600 and Ultrasone HFi2400 might be worth considering,

Quote:
Is that a typical price? Anyway, I'm a bit curious about its sound signature. At first I thought bright dominance might be good for instrumentals but some reviews say it's polarizing which may not be so great. How does the HFI 680 compare?

They're $290 new on Amazon, so his price seems quite reasonable. I haven't heard the 680.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #7,691 of 29,490

Quote:

tongue.gif

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Industrial FTW!!!!

I'm guessing you want something with foward vocals, what about Thunderpants or Pro 900s w/ silver pads? You might not want the TP because it needs an expensive amp.

BTW, the HD800s will be terrible for your needs, lack of bass.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #7,692 of 29,490

And it comes with an extra Ultrasone Short cable 
wink.gif

Quote:
MorbidToaster has one available on the sale forum for $185 I believe.

The pro series come with Velour already. If you go that route you won't have to worry about replacing pads. I find myself recommending the Pro 750 a lot because of the fact they're a great all rounder. Fairly balanced sound but with a lot of kick. I really enjoy this and it's hard to find anywhere else.

Quote:
Quote:

Not on the HFI line. Their Pro series have replaceable ear pads though.

Sorry, I don't know too many portable velour-padded headphones to make a recommendation on that note. Maybe you can look into on-ear headphones like the Audio Technica ES7, ESW9/10?

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #7,693 of 29,490
I'm looking for a nice headphone for listening to pop, rock music.
Budgets: $300 or less
I really like the bright and forward sound of my friend's ms1i.
Currently, I'm looking forward to sr325is, sr225i, ms2is, he300, hd598.
I just don't know what to get...
Vocal is the most important thing for me. Bass with impact (not really important)

*Edit

I'm a novice to this.
I have Fiio E11 and a garbage earphones maybe?

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #7,694 of 29,490
I'm looking for a nice headphone for listening to pop, rock music.
Budgets: $300 or less
I really like the bright and forward sound of my friend's ms1i.
Currently, I'm looking forward to sr325is, sr225i, ms2is, he300, hd598.
I just don't know what to get...
Vocal is the most important thing for me. Bass with impact (not really important)

*Edit

I'm a novice to this.
I have Fiio E11 and a garbage earphones maybe?

Vocals being top priority I'd go for the 598 hands down. They will also have better bass than the Grados, but
Vocals are where the 598 shines, IMO.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #7,695 of 29,490
[quote name="Armaegis" I consider the DT770 to have too much bass for competitive gaming. If I were moving up from the HD280, I'd go for the HD380. [/quote]

I tried the DT770s and really liked them. Unfortunately the pair also had the left ear buzzing , after browsing around seems too common an issue for me to bother.

Can anyone comment on the HD380s soundstage in comparison (specifically gaming) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back