++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 29, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #7,666 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

I am searching for a portable full-size, closed back, headphone for around €450,-  /  $550,-
I listen to Electro, DnB, Classical and Rock mostly. Also it needs to seal very well, since I'm going to use it in noisy environments like subways (not the restaurants lol), downtown and so on.

Already looked into the Beyerdynamic T70P, it seemed perfect for me, except that it lacks a bit on the bass and is described to others as ''unacceptably bright', I don't see anywhere in my area where I can try them out. I also did research on some of the Ultrasone's models and got to try out different models, but I did not really like them that much. So I am kind of looking for other suggestions in the Full-Size portable category.

Thank you

You should give AKG K550 a chance ... but they are coming at the end of October into shops :)

Look at my postings in Thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/553944/akg-k550-new

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #7,668 of 29,490
Ok people, I need a suggestion.

Genres I listen to:
Hardcore (heavy rock)
Electronica
Dance
Classical (piano, strings, etc.)

Bass is really important to me for the first three genres but I don't want a headphone that is so bass heavy to where it can't calm down for classical music. I currently use a pair of Shure SRH-840's with a Zero USB DAC. I like the setup a lot but recently the headband on my 840's broke so I need a replacement. I'd like to "move up" a little bit too.

I'd like to spend somewhere around $400, but I'll stretch to $500 if necessary. I understand that the Zero DAC is quite entry level, so if I would need to get a new DAC/Amp for these new headphones, that will have to be worked into the budget too.

Thanks everyone!

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #7,669 of 29,490
Thanks for the quick response...
I purchased a pair of Senheisser HD280s from BB just to compare to the Tritton ax720s and have an easier comparison/reference point on here.

Its pretty clear the open headset is going to drive me nuts as I heard way too much outside noise. But the soundstage was drastically cut down even with trittons being such subpar cans.
I like the fit and isolation of the HD280s alot..sound is very good.

Would the DT770s 32 ohms or the Pro 80s ((I specify those as I have two local sellers selling used in my price range)) be a difference worth the 60$ above the HD280s or same price as HD380s ?
Quote:
The DT 770 might be the way to go. I'd look into the higher ohm Pro version. You llike bass and they have that (lots of it), and the MixAmp should power the 250 ohm versions.
Pros have slightly better isolation than the consumer, and they're cheaper. Both are super comfy as well. That's my advice. Gaming is rough on closed cans, but there are worse options than the 770.

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #7,670 of 29,490
Hello,

I am looking for full-sized headphones that are mainly good for speech. My ears easily get fatigued from listening to headphones for extended periods of time, and the purpose of these headphones would be to able to have as low volume as possible when watching movies etc, and still be able to make out what the actors are saying. I'm thinking a price of below $150 or so.

Thank you

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #7,671 of 29,490
Hey,
I was wondering about the Roccat Kave headphones, are they the real deal? Decent gaming (usually this is synonymous to crappy) 5.1 (real deal?) headphones.
I will use them for everything, gaming being the priority. I know about the AD ATH700, but they're more expensive. Also, having a mic and being closed would be two nice bonuses. My budget is 80€ maximum.

Could anyone tell me if these Roccat Kave are actually decent and if they aren't do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #7,672 of 29,490
Ok, I'm new to the world of high-end headsets and need some help, I hope this is the right place, over the past year I've upgraded my computer and TV, and I figure it's time I upgrade my sound system beyond built-in speakers.

I'm looking for an over-the-ear headset that would primarily be used for movies and video games, 5.1 or 7.1 surround, with a decent mic attached for online play and chatting on Skype, wireless would be nice, but it's by no means a requirement. One of my main issues I've been having is trouble finding a set that's compatible with both my PC and my consoles (PS3/360).

Budget is $50-$150 (potentially flexible)

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #7,673 of 29,490

Quote:
I think I can use an amp no problem. Will be using these only at a desk either home or work so getting an amp can work. How are the AKG Q 701 Quincy jones cans? I love the color haha

The Q701 (and that line of AKGs in general) are very revealing and a lot of people don't like that. Depending on what kind of music you listen to they may not be for you. If something is badly recorded it's painfully obvious on the 701/702. I've heard the Quincy Jones cans are a little less like that but it's still a problem.

Quote:

Genres I listen to:
Hardcore (heavy rock)
Electronica
Dance

Bass is really important to me for the first three genres but I don't want a headphone that is so bass heavy to where it can't calm down for classical music. I currently use a pair of Shure SRH-840's with a Zero USB DAC. I like the setup a lot but recently the headband on my 840's broke so I need a replacement. I'd like to "move up" a little bit too.

I'd like to spend somewhere around $400, but I'll stretch to $500 if necessary. I understand that the Zero DAC is quite entry level, so if I would need to get a new DAC/Amp for these new headphones, that will have to be worked into the budget too.

Thanks everyone!

How about the Shure 940? If you really enjoyed your 840 it's a logical next step. Little less bass, but deeper bass which would go well with classical. It would leave you good wiggle room for a new DAC, too. 

I'd suggest a used D5000 as well, but those seem hard to come by nowadays and would leave less room for the other upgrade. 

Quote:
I purchased a pair of Senheisser HD280s from BB just to compare to the Tritton ax720s and have an easier comparison/reference point on here.

Its pretty clear the open headset is going to drive me nuts as I heard way too much outside noise. But the soundstage was drastically cut down even with trittons being such subpar cans.

Would the DT770s 32 ohms or the Pro 80s ((I specify those as I have two local sellers selling used in my price range)) be a difference worth the 60$ above the HD280s or same price as HD380s ?

I'd say yes if you feel like you're missing something in the bass department. They're going to have a lot more bass and a bigger soundstage. The other thing they will improve on is comfort. Major improvement comfort wise. Isolation is still pretty good though.

Can you audition thee if you can get them locally? I'd say do that.

Quote:
Ok, I'm new to the world of high-end headsets and need some help, I hope this is the right place, over the past year I've upgraded my computer and TV, and I figure it's time I upgrade my sound system beyond built-in speakers.

I'm looking for an over-the-ear headset that would primarily be used for movies and video games, 5.1 or 7.1 surround, with a decent mic attached for online play and chatting on Skype, wireless would be nice, but it's by no means a requirement. One of my main issues I've been having is trouble finding a set that's compatible with both my PC and my consoles (PS3/360).

Budget is $50-$150 (potentially flexible)

Most of the people here would recommend a headphone with a clip-on mic (or something of the sort). Headsets just aren't up to par with a decent set of headphones and external mic. 

If the problem is getting the headset to work on consoles and PC you need an Astro MixAmp. It will allow you to use any headphone/mic combination with any console/PC. It's also a pretty decent amp and will simulate surround sound in a good headphone. 

I'd suggest the tried and true AD700 which would leave a little wiggle room for Astro saving...but I'd also like to suggest the HD 598. It's my gaming headphone and I love it. It's slightly over your budget...but well worth it, IMO.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #7,674 of 29,490
Hi guys!

Im new here im trying to buy big can that is good for rock music.

Im listening to any genre that is under the big umbrella of the so called rock music

now.
Ive been thinking about buying the earbuds .yuin pk3.

Because im on a tight budget.

But after a couple of critical thinking.

Ive decided to buy big cans.

I find it more cooler

and i find it more qualitier than the earbuds that will not last.

So please help me with my problem,

ive heard of grados.

Are they cheap?

Im on a tight budget my budget would be 50dollars below.

I need quality.
Great sound for rock music.
Great soundstage
and affordable price.

Hope you can help me.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #7,675 of 29,490

Quote:
I think I can use an amp no problem. Will be using these only at a desk either home or work so getting an amp can work. How are the AKG Q 701 Quincy jones cans? I love the color haha

Just look up reviews on the K701/702. They are essentially the same. 

Quote:

Genres I listen to:
Hardcore (heavy rock)
Electronica
Dance

Thanks everyone!

Perhaps the Beyerdynamic DT880. Plenty of bass and extension, but not bloated and still a strong midrange. You could also consider a Denon (D2000 or 5000), or possibly a used Thunderpands which scrapes the top of your budget. 

Quote:

I consider the DT770 to have too much bass for competitive gaming. If I were moving up from the HD280, I'd go for the HD380. 

Quote:
Hello,

I am looking for full-sized headphones that are mainly good for speech. My ears easily get fatigued from listening to headphones for extended periods of time, and the purpose of these headphones would be to able to have as low volume as possible when watching movies etc, and still be able to make out what the actors are saying. I'm thinking a price of below $150 or so.

Thank you

If open is ok, something like an Audio Technica AD700 is good. Strong midrange and vocals, and not too much bass and treble. 

If closed, an Ultrasone might be ideal. Strong isolation, and their S-Logic in theory lets you listen at lower volumes. You can get the HFi 780 for just a hair over your budget.

Quote:
Hey,
I was wondering about the Roccat Kave headphones, are they the real deal? Decent gaming (usually this is synonymous to crappy) 5.1 (real deal?) headphones.
I will use them for everything, gaming being the priority. I know about the AD ATH700, but they're more expensive. Also, having a mic and being closed would be two nice bonuses. My budget is 80€ maximum.
Could anyone tell me if these Roccat Kave are actually decent and if they aren't do you have any suggestions?
Thanks.

Hmm, have you tried asking in the gaming headphones thread? You might not find many people who've heard it here. 

A quick search turns up this... http://www.head-fi.org/t/500924/ad700-vs-roccat-kave

Quote:
Hi guys!
Im new here im trying to buy big can that is good for rock music.
Im listening to any genre that is under the big umbrella of the so called rock music
now.
Ive been thinking about buying the earbuds .yuin pk3.
Because im on a tight budget.
But after a couple of critical thinking.
Ive decided to buy big cans.
I find it more cooler
and i find it more qualitier than the earbuds that will not last.
So please help me with my problem,
ive heard of grados.
Are they cheap?
Im on a tight budget my budget would be 50dollars below.
I need quality.
Great sound for rock music.
Great soundstage
and affordable price.
Hope you can help me.

The Grado SR60i can be found for $80, or even less used. Great for rock, soundstage kinda puts you in the middle of the stage. No isolation though, if that's of concern. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #7,676 of 29,490
I'm spending more time at the gym lately and I was wondering if anybody has recommendations for decent headphones for the gym. I've been using my TripleFi 10s, but they don't seal very well when I'm sweating, and they're also kind of expensive, so I'm worried about ruining them... I think I'd like to stick with something that goes behind/around/inside the ear instead of cans, but I'm open to recommendations, preferably in the sub-$100 range.

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #7,677 of 29,490
How about some Senn. PX series stuff? Nice and light. I used to run in mine. 

Quote:
I'm spending more time at the gym lately and I was wondering if anybody has recommendations for decent headphones for the gym. I've been using my TripleFi 10s, but they don't seal very well when I'm sweating, and they're also kind of expensive, so I'm worried about ruining them... I think I'd like to stick with something that goes behind/around/inside the ear instead of cans, but I'm open to recommendations, preferably in the sub-$100 range.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #7,679 of 29,490
Anyone recommend foldable headphones, budget is now ~$200 (up from 100-150). I'm mainly interested in the SRH 840s but I heard the band is flat at the top and is fairly uncomfortable.

What kind of music do you listen to? Yes the 840's do not have a foldable design and are sometimes uncomfortable to wear (they're uncomfortable to me).

Ultrasone headphones [HFI-580 (most bass of the HFI series), HFI-680 (regarded as the most balanced of the HFI series), HFI-780 (more treble than the other HFI series headphones), Pro 750, Pro 900)] and the Audio Technica ATH-M50 come to mind for 'folding' headphones.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #7,680 of 29,490
Pro 750 (being my favorite Ultrasone I've heard) gets my vote.

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone recommend foldable headphones, budget is now ~$200 (up from 100-150). I'm mainly interested in the SRH 840s but I heard the band is flat at the top and is fairly uncomfortable.

What kind of music do you listen to? Yes the 840's do not have a foldable design and are sometimes uncomfortable to wear (they're uncomfortable to me).

Ultrasone headphones [HFI-580 (most bass of the HFI series), HFI-680 (regarded as the most balanced of the HFI series), HFI-780 (more treble than the other HFI series headphones), Pro 750, Pro 900)] and the Audio Technica ATH-M50 come to mind for 'folding' headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back