++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 28, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #7,636 of 29,490

Quote:
I would avoid Grado if you want a balanced sound. They're very colored. I'd check out the Senn. HD 280...and or if you want a little more bass the MDR V6. Most people do love Grados for Metal, but they're by no means balanced.

Are these two going to be better than my DT770's were? they're like £70-£90 over here so it seems unlikely. Are they quite engaging? (obviously for metal that's the main aspect). I don't think i'd get on well with the grado's, i like the headphones to fit fully over my ear and to be quite isolated when listening to music and they don't seem to offer that. Thanks in advance, Mike

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #7,637 of 29,490

Quote:
I feel it's a pretty strong diminishing return once you get into the hundreds... here's a few random options: Denon D2000, Shure 840, Phiaton PS500, Senn HD598, Ultrasone HFi2400

Yeah, I suppose, I'm not hoping to spend $300, I just like to keep my range open just in case. Don't want to set a budget of $150 when there could be some pure magic being sold for $239 that's worth $500 or something like that.

Are those among the best bang for their buck? I figure with so many options, the best way to pick at this point and be satisfied with my purchase is to just aim for the best ratio of quality to cost.

How would I go about choosing between them though? I'm a bit new to all this, I got the HD555's waaaaay back on a whim.

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #7,638 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose, I'm not hoping to spend $300, I just like to keep my range open just in case. Don't want to set a budget of $150 when there could be some pure magic being sold for $239 that's worth $500 or something like that.

Are those among the best bang for their buck? I figure with so many options, the best way to pick at this point and be satisfied with my purchase is to just aim for the best ratio of quality to cost.

How would I go about choosing between them though? I'm a bit new to all this, I got the HD555's waaaaay back on a whim.

I was in sort of the same position as you, I really love my HD 555 but I also wanted a pair of clsoed headphones on the side for portable use and for the isolation. My goal was to find a closed pair of headphones with similair sound qaulity to the HD 555. I ended up going with the German Maestro GMP 8.35D which will be shipped to me soon. You can read my thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572403/looking-for-closed-headphones-in-the-netherlands-budget-is-anywhere-from-80-200-euro-s

There are also some links to reviews about the headphones in there, and I will be posting my review there as well when I receive them. Hope I could help some :)

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #7,639 of 29,490
Please help! I don't know what to get.. I was pretty set on the Grado Sr80i but then I started reading around here and there are soo many choices! I currently own a pair of Sony MDR7506 and want to see what's better out there. I am only looking to spend 100 if possible..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #7,640 of 29,490

Quote:

That all said, my only reservation about the 598 is the rather large phase shift which could potentially affect positional cues depending how they are processed by the game/sound card... but I'm really just picking nits at this point.

It's always a crapshoot trying to get stuff up here in Canada. Do a search for "canadian companies" for a thread of mine listing a bunch of Canadian retailers. Otherwise, keep an eye out on the sale forums here or on canuckaudiomart.com

In my mind (ear?), engaging generally refers to the more visceral impact of music, which for most people comes in the bass and highs. A solid impulse response as well as quick decay time are also factors, but these concepts are harder to understand without some further reading. In an overall sense, "engaging" is simply a subjective measure of how well the headphones grab your attention. 

That all said, don't get too caught up in what other people say. Head to a music/electronics store and try out a few headphones for yourself. Pay attention to instruments and what parts of the frequency spectrum really get your attention. 

Get the cans first, listen, enjoy. After you become accustomed to their sound, try plugging into a receiver and see if you notice a difference. If not, then continue on your merry way and don't worry about spending any more money on diminishing returns. If you did notice a difference and feel it was significant enough to warrant spending more money and yet having more things in your pocket, only then should you consider getting an amp. 

Well ThanQ I will try it in some shops...btw Do u have any brands that are around $100 and have good engaging? are the Superlux HD668B or JVC RX700/900 good enough?

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #7,641 of 29,490

Quote:

I was in sort of the same position as you, I really love my HD 555 but I also wanted a pair of clsoed headphones on the side for portable use and for the isolation. My goal was to find a closed pair of headphones with similair sound qaulity to the HD 555. I ended up going with the German Maestro GMP 8.35D which will be shipped to me soon. You can read my thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572403/looking-for-closed-headphones-in-the-netherlands-budget-is-anywhere-from-80-200-euro-s

There are also some links to reviews about the headphones in there, and I will be posting my review there as well when I receive them. Hope I could help some :)

Well I actually don't need them for portable use, or isolation (assuming that means reducing sound I hear from outside the headphones) or have them closed. I'll have to edit that into the original post. I'd just be using these things at home, and I'm looking for quality surpassing the HD555.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #7,642 of 29,490
Hey everyone. Been looking for a nice paid of cans for work and all around use. I game and listen to my ipod and itunes on my computer mainly. Don't want to carry or worry about an amp. My budget is about $200. I listen to hip-hop, R&B, reggae, reggaeton, jazz, rock....basically everything haha.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #7,643 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey everyone. Been looking for a nice paid of cans for work and all around use. I game and listen to my ipod and itunes on my computer mainly. Don't want to carry or worry about an amp. My budget is about $200. I listen to hip-hop, R&B, reggae, reggaeton, jazz, rock....basically everything haha. 

The Audio Technica ESW9a can be had for $220 if you don't mind stretching the budget a tiny bit

Quote:
Are these two going to be better than my DT770's were? they're like £70-£90 over here so it seems unlikely. Are they quite engaging? (obviously for metal that's the main aspect). I don't think i'd get on well with the grado's, i like the headphones to fit fully over my ear and to be quite isolated when listening to music and they don't seem to offer that. Thanks in advance, Mike

Grado is sorta like the opposite of the DT770... strong treble, fully open, no isolation whatsoever. 

The best full sized isolating headphones I've heard... DT770, HD280/380, Shure 840.

Quote:

I think all the ones I recommended are decent value. A vintage Sextett is also great if you can get your hands on one. Since you listen at low volumes, going without amp actually isn't too bad here. You might even consider some of the higher impedance headphones. 

Quote:
Please help! I don't know what to get.. I was pretty set on the Grado Sr80i but then I started reading around here and there are soo many choices! I currently own a pair of Sony MDR7506 and want to see what's better out there. I am only looking to spend 100 if possible..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I would not consider the SR80 an upgrade from the 7506. It's a nice sidestep which provides a very different sound mind you. 

Quote:
Well ThanQ I will try it in some shops...btw Do u have any brands that are around $100 and have good engaging? are the Superlux HD668B or JVC RX700/900 good enough?

I haven't heard either of those, so I can't help you there. If you can though, just head down to your local electronics/music stores and try out some of the headphones they have there to get an idea about the various brands. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #7,644 of 29,490
I recently asked in this thread about a good soundtsage headphone and went to try the HD598s and I loved them! SO now I was thinking that I don't want to give up soundstage just to have a closed design so I need help choosing a closed headphone to be the counterpart to my HD598s outside.

Again I want circumaural, for Rock 60% and 30% Electronica and Classical 10%

I'm between:
Shuer SRH840
Shure SRH940 (Although I've heard their bass weak, but I'm not a basshead by any standard so it might be just enough for me)
Fischer Audio FA-003 (these seem a little big to use outside though)
Ultrasone Pro 750 (although I'm leaning away from these since i've heard some discouraging stories about S-logic technology)

I like the velour pads on the HD598s, and if the headphones have that it's a plus but I wouldn't give up quality for velour.

Just to give you and idea of how much bass I like I had a pair of HD202 as my first fullsize headphones. Vibrations and thumping gave me a headache, not sure how bass heavy those phones are but I could barely wear them unless I used the equalizer to lower it to a more or a punch instead of a thump and more of a light thrill instead of a full on vibration.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #7,645 of 29,490
Hi all,

I've been looking for headphones for quite some time and I've never been able to narrow my selection down, this perhaps a product of my everchanging list.

I primarily listen to rock (classic and current) and downbeat/ambient electronica. 

I would like closed headphones or IEMs since I'll be using them for travel.  I would prefer headphones over IEMs, although I'm not adverse to IEMs.

I will be doing most of my listening through a Sansa Clip + and would like to get a set of headphones that would not require an amp.

Finally, I would like to keep this investment under $100. 

Thanks for your input!

-Joe

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #7,646 of 29,490
@ R-Audiohead - 598 was recommended on sound preference and open-ness but I recommended the HD 25-1 II for biking. I would never want a good pair of 598 broken. I personally would prefer open for biking to hear around me. I'd be paranoid while flying down a mountain I'd miss an important noise. Lol

@ theguatemalian

I'd go with the 840 or 940 over the others. I love the Pro 750 (even though mine are for sale), but I fear it would give you a headache. They have a ton of slam even though they are somewhat balanced. For you I'd pick the 940 based on my small experience with Shures.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #7,649 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

I am searching for a portable full-size, closed back, headphone for around €450,-  /  $550,-
I listen to Electro, DnB, Classical and Rock mostly. Also it needs to seal very well, since I'm going to use it in noisy environments like subways (not the restaurants lol), downtown and so on.

Already looked into the Beyerdynamic T70P, it seemed perfect for me, except that it lacks a bit on the bass and is described to others as ''unacceptably bright', I don't see anywhere in my area where I can try them out. I also did research on some of the Ultrasone's models and got to try out different models, but I did not really like them that much. So I am kind of looking for other suggestions in the Full-Size portable category.

Thank you

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #7,650 of 29,490
@ Xcellent

Senn. HD 25-1 II, DT 1350, Phiaton MS 400, B&W P5. Those are all on ear but all have excellent isolation.

I love my Pro 750 for a portable, but you mentioned Ultrasones not being your thing. Probably the S Logic. How about the Shure 940. Depending on how you like your bass (deep not necessarily overpowering) they may be the way to go for a full portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back