++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #7,621 of 29,490
<p>Hello!
<p><br>
<p>I have been looking to expand my listening experience lately by purchasing some new headphones. I listen to most genre's but for the most part rock, rap, country etc. I already own a pair of ATH-M50's so I was looking for something a little different like a pair of open headphones with a bigger soundstage or something along those lines. I had been looking at the AD700's because I've read good things and it's hard to ignore the low price but I am interested in learning more about other possible options.
<p><br>
<p>As a secondary note, I tried to purchase a pair of AD700's not once but twice from Beachcamera.com but both times my order was cancelled the next day. The first time because I live in Canada and they could not receive payment for a Canadian order over the internet. The second time I called in my order as they suggested but was foiled once again the next day when I received another cancellation e-mail explaining how, despite the fact the website listed them as "in stock", they actually didn't have any more that could be sent.
<p><br>
<p>Not wanting to have to deal with this again, are there any websites that would the AD700's or something similar at a reasonable price that will ship to Canada without too much trouble?
<p><br>
<p>Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #7,622 of 29,490

Quote:
<p>Hello!
<p><br>
<p>I have been looking to expand my listening experience lately by purchasing some new headphones. I listen to most genre's but for the most part rock, rap, country etc. I already own a pair of ATH-M50's so I was looking for something a little different like a pair of open headphones with a bigger soundstage or something along those lines. I had been looking at the AD700's because I've read good things and it's hard to ignore the low price but I am interested in learning more about other possible options.
<p><br>
<p>As a secondary note, I tried to purchase a pair of AD700's not once but twice from Beachcamera.com but both times my order was cancelled the next day. The first time because I live in Canada and they could not receive payment for a Canadian order over the internet. The second time I called in my order as they suggested but was foiled once again the next day when I received another cancellation e-mail explaining how, despite the fact the website listed them as "in stock", they actually didn't have any more that could be sent.
<p><br>
<p>Not wanting to have to deal with this again, are there any websites that would the AD700's or something similar at a reasonable price that will ship to Canada without too much trouble?
<p><br>

Amazon
BestBuy
Google search
eBay

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #7,623 of 29,490
That doesn't mean they're engaging. They have a very dark laid back sound. Thus non engaging.

Ok so i looked around the forums and I found more info on this 'engaging' stuff. Does engaging mean when u hear music really well and it blocks off other sounds ??? Why would non-engaging headphones be fun ?

Superlux HD668B or JVC RX700/900 

between these 3 phones which one is musically engaging? 

I have decided to wait a bit save up to $100 and get a good headset that is engaging...can someone please counsel me ??thanks

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #7,624 of 29,490
I purchased a couple used HD428s after reading some suggestions on this site (first headphones ever. Period) and will be playing lossess from an iPod Shuffle 4th gen. Does the shuffle have enough power to drive these cans or would I benefit from purchasing a FiiO E6?

Same question, different source: would playing from a rockboxed Clip+ benefit from the E6?

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #7,625 of 29,490
<p>Hello!
<p><br>
<p><br>
<p><br>
<p><br>

Listen to the Sennheiser 558 and see how you like it to the AD700.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #7,626 of 29,490
Back again, looking for headphones for metal \m/

I don't want the fatiguing highs of the Ultrasone hfi 780's, and i want everything to sound timbrally correct 

I want the bass kicks to "thud" and the snare hits to "snap", a very engaging phone, intimate, without fatiuging highs, and perhaps forward mids and forward low frequencies

Considering the HD 650 for a smoother sound, Denon AH-D2000 for a v-shaped but hopefully not too recessed in the mids and not too fatiguing in the highs

More bass is better than less bass, but if one headphone with less bass sounds more engaging like a stereo system, ill take that

budget $300, used or new

Nothing Grado. I don't want to listen to anything stabby or ear piercing, ive already had a bad experience. 

I would side with the Denon. The 650's are laid back.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #7,627 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks a bunch! I think im leaning towards the HD598

I couldn't help but notice when I was scanning this thread that these headphone were recommended for someone who is mountain biking??!

I feel like you need something with a good clamping force (I find over ear tends to be a much more secure fit than on ear-- like the HD-25) and some isolation (Not HD598)  Correct me if I am wrong, but the 598 isn't exactly built like a tank and a lot of bouncing (and god forbid falling) could break these things. You broke you skullcandies, yes?

I will make a different recommendation -- The Senn PX 360.  You can get my impressions from the link in my signature.  They are lightweight, isolate very well, and are built like tanks.  I sold them off just because the sound sig didn't fit what I wanted at the time, but they are really good at what they do and are very easy to drive.  Great bass response that surprisingly didn't bleed into the mids at all.

I highly recommend these cans for your application.  Feel free to shoot me any questions about them

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #7,628 of 29,490

Quote:

I don't want the fatiguing highs of the Ultrasone hfi 780's, and i want everything to sound timbrally correct 

I want the bass kicks to "thud" and the snare hits to "snap", a very engaging phone, intimate, without fatiuging highs, and perhaps forward mids and forward low frequencies

Considering the HD 650 for a smoother sound, Denon AH-D2000 for a v-shaped but hopefully not too recessed in the mids and not too fatiguing in the highs

More bass is better than less bass, but if one headphone with less bass sounds more engaging like a stereo system, ill take that

budget $300, used or new

Nothing Grado. I don't want to listen to anything stabby or ear piercing, ive already had a bad experience. 

I think the CharterOak SP-1 or GMP450 PRO (same headphone) is actually right up your alley, pending a few unknowns.  I don't find myself recommending this headphone that often, despite it being one of my favorites.  The first word that comes to mind when I describe the sound signature is athletic (fastest dynamics I've ever heard) and flat... and I don't mean "treble corrected flat" like the HD650 uses.  The mids are very, very forward and the detail level in the entire spectrum is pretty impressive.  I would not have recommended anything if your description of what you were looking for didn't immediately make me think of my SP-1 - the bass definitely sounds like a kick drum and the snares have a very natural but authoritative "snap".  Unfortunately, it might be just a hair over your price range, but I think if you can muster of the extra 50 it is something to consider.

The "pending few unknowns" consist of, well, a few things.  The fit is very unique (but very comfortable IMO!).  The clamping force is near zero, and so is the weight on the head... which is quite impressive when considering the size.  Some people don't like a lack of clamping force.  Also, the chord is a semi-coil, which I think is genius (can't snag, but isn't bulky)... I could see mixed feelings on this.  The headband is two piece (again very comfy for me).  One downside - these are NOT portable despite the lightweight fit.

Another plus is that German Maestro uses the same sized pads for all their headphones and sells oodles of different kinds, making the headphone further "tunable".

I know German Maestro doesn't get a lot of talk around here, but they really should. Ask anyone who has owned them (or their predecessors, MB Quart)... if they didn't prefer them I noticed they still respected what it had to offer.  There were people comparing them to the HD650 back when it was Senn's flagship.

Chat with me if you have any questions, since I have yet to post my impressions of the SP-1

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #7,630 of 29,490

Quote:

Hello!

I'm currently looking to replace my Skull Candy headphones that broke on me T_T, Now the music I currently listen to has quite the range variety ( Jazz, R&B, Heavy Metal, Rock, Rap, Techno / Trance, Pop, basically anything except country.

Now my price range is going to scale from 50-250

The usage of them will be for Mountain bike riding, dancing around the house ;D, and ill be using my Iphone 4 as my music station,

Pointers would be highly apperciated, I live in canada

So basically you'll need something durable or with a really good warranty...

super portable and open: Koss KSC75/Porta Pro - go go lifetime warranty, or even if the warranty is a hassle, they're cheap so you won't be heartbroken when they break anyways

durable and closed: Senn HD25-1-ii Adidas - goes on sale for $200 at Futureshop regularly

Quote:

budget $300, used or new

If you already have the HFi780, open then up and stick a piece of felt or cloth in there behind the driver. Takes 5 minutes and virtually zero cost to tube down the treble. 

Unlike others, I can find the HD650 fairly engaging. Then again, I *like* the laid back style sound. 

I consider the D2000 more laid back sounding than the Senn, and it was more flat rather than V shaped to my ears. I thought the mids were quite good. 

How about an ortho? Some of those vintage stocks have a really good sound to them. 

Quote:
Sorry, should have been more specific: I'm more specifically interested in open cans. I understand that for the price I'm not going to get fully what I want, and I've done some more research, so it seems I'm down to the Grado Sr80i or the Audio Technica AD-700. I've looked at the HD-555s as well but from reading around they don't seem well suited for metal.

open... metal... around $100... yeah I think either the Grado or maybe a Koss Porta Pro are the best way to go.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #7,631 of 29,490

Quote:
[size=medium]Got home to find my HD598s waiting for and have been listening to them ever since. HOLY CRAP! These things sound amazing and have just the right amount of bass. Haven’t tested them with any games yet but I have no doubt in my mind these things will rock my world there too.[/size]

[size=medium]Gotta give a HUGE thank you to Armaegis once again. [/size]

Quote:
Easiest headphone to recommend on the planet for a reason.

That all said, my only reservation about the 598 is the rather large phase shift which could potentially affect positional cues depending how they are processed by the game/sound card... but I'm really just picking nits at this point.

Quote:
<p>Hello!
<p><br>
<p><br>
<p><br>
<p><br>

It's always a crapshoot trying to get stuff up here in Canada. Do a search for "canadian companies" for a thread of mine listing a bunch of Canadian retailers. Otherwise, keep an eye out on the sale forums here or on canuckaudiomart.com

Quote:
Ok so i looked around the forums and I found more info on this 'engaging' stuff. Does engaging mean when u hear music really well and it blocks off other sounds ??? Why would non-engaging headphones be fun ?

I have decided to wait a bit save up to $100 and get a good headset that is engaging...can someone please counsel me ??thanks

In my mind (ear?), engaging generally refers to the more visceral impact of music, which for most people comes in the bass and highs. A solid impulse response as well as quick decay time are also factors, but these concepts are harder to understand without some further reading. In an overall sense, "engaging" is simply a subjective measure of how well the headphones grab your attention. 

That all said, don't get too caught up in what other people say. Head to a music/electronics store and try out a few headphones for yourself. Pay attention to instruments and what parts of the frequency spectrum really get your attention. 

Quote:
I purchased a couple used HD428s after reading some suggestions on this site (first headphones ever. Period) and will be playing lossess from an iPod Shuffle 4th gen. Does the shuffle have enough power to drive these cans or would I benefit from purchasing a FiiO E6?

Same question, different source: would playing from a rockboxed Clip+ benefit from the E6?

Get the cans first, listen, enjoy. After you become accustomed to their sound, try plugging into a receiver and see if you notice a difference. If not, then continue on your merry way and don't worry about spending any more money on diminishing returns. If you did notice a difference and feel it was significant enough to warrant spending more money and yet having more things in your pocket, only then should you consider getting an amp. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #7,632 of 29,490
Hey guys, not entirely sure what to search so figured I'd just make a new post. Need a new pair of cans, but don't know where to start with the comparisons and all that.

Currently have the HD555s with the foam pad things removed. Just ran into a problem, want to upgrade.

Budget: $200-$300, assuming it's worth it. Near the bang for my buck that the HD555s were would be great.

- Being noticeably better than the HD555s is a must, obviously.

- Would like good all around performance as I don't really stick to any particular genres of music and I also watch a lot of movies, shows, and play plenty of games. I suppose just in terms of music I drift towards alt/indie rock the most but I still tend to hear a range of sounds, so versatility is important.

- I did feel a little lack of bass with the HD555s, there was some but I would like to really feel the vibrations a bit so that would be cool, but if it's at a sacrifice to clarity/sharpness, then screw it.

Over or on ears is best, don't care about portability (have a decent pair of IEMs for that), I'd mostly have the HD555's plugged into my computer and I'd tend to spend most of my time at 3%-5% volume, so hopefully that tells you about my need or lack of for amps and such.

EDIT: And I don't mind them being open or closed, isolated or not isolated, but I don't want to pay extra for or lose sound quality for either one, I'm just going to be using the phones at home with my computer.

Thanks for any help.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #7,633 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, not entirely sure what to search so figured I'd just make a new post. Need a new pair of cans, but don't know where to start with the comparisons and all that.

Currently have the HD555s with the foam pad things removed. Just ran into a problem, want to upgrade.

Budget: $200-$300, assuming it's worth it. Near the bang for my buck that the HD555s were would be great.

- Being noticeably better than the HD555s is a must, obviously.

- Would like good all around performance as I don't really stick to any particular genres of music and I also watch a lot of movies, shows, and play plenty of games. I suppose just in terms of music I drift towards alt/indie rock the most but I still tend to hear a range of sounds, so versatility is important.

- I did feel a little lack of bass with the HD555s, there was some but I would like to really feel the vibrations a bit so that would be cool, but if it's at a sacrifice to clarity/sharpness, then screw it.

Over or on ears is best, don't care about portability (have a decent pair of IEMs for that), I'd mostly have the HD555's plugged into my computer and I'd tend to spend most of my time at 3%-5% volume, so hopefully that tells you about my need or lack of for amps and such.

Thanks for any help.

I feel it's a pretty strong diminishing return once you get into the hundreds... here's a few random options: Denon D2000, Shure 840, Phiaton PS500, Senn HD598, Ultrasone HFi2400

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #7,634 of 29,490
          Quote:
Get the cans first, listen, enjoy. After you become accustomed to their sound, try plugging into a receiver and see if you notice a difference. If not, then continue on your merry way and don't worry about spending any more money on diminishing returns. If you did notice a difference and feel it was significant enough to warrant spending more money and yet having more things in your pocket, only then should you consider getting an amp. 

Thanks. I was just wondering if the shuffle had enough juice to actually POWER ON those headphones at a relatively decent volume level. The thing is so tiny...

It is probably best bet to get used to the sound unamped, if only to train my ear to what they will sound like before and after. I love gadgets but HATE pocket clutter!

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #7,635 of 29,490
Hey everyone. Been looking for a nice paid of cans for work and all around use. I game and listen to my ipod and itunes on my computer mainly. Don't want to carry or worry about an amp. My budget is about $200. I listen to hip-hop, R&B, reggae, reggaeton, jazz, rock....basically everything haha. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back