++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 22, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #7,411 of 29,490
Probably around $200 or below. The 700s seems good, although they don't seem to have a great punch from what I've heard. How do the 1000s sound in comparison?

I will also probably purchase a cowon player soon as well, it if makes a big difference.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #7,412 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright, and when we compare the Senns PC 350 to AD 700 & A700.. and also keep in mind (im sure you know) that PC 350 is more expensive, what would you pick?

The PC350 would be an easy pick for me. There's a cheap one here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/569388/price-drop-sennheiser-sale-hd280-428-238-mm100-pc-350-rs180

Quote:
This is actually advice I'm asking on behalf of friend, as I'm not an expert.

He recently got the HiFiMan HE-4's, and he loves them. However, he's using a Fiio E9 to drive them (he doesn't have a lot of money, so he's working his way up with equipment). The problem is, the E9 doesn't have enough power to juice them. They sound pretty low. When you use the gain switch on the back, they sound distorted when their are highs. Would buying the E7 combo give him more power?

He plans on getting this in 6 months: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fi-Man-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004I3WB5M/ref=sr_1h_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316735702&sr=1-4

But wanted something cheaper to hold him over until then. Hence why hes asking about the E7 combo. Any help would be appreciated. :) 

Do you mean everything is distorted or only the high frequencies? If everything is distorted, then you're likely clipping and I doubt the e7 will fix that. Have you tried running the headphones out of a receiver?

Quote:
Hiya guys, this is my first real question on the forum, I don't know a ton, so I'm sorry for that.

I've been listening to different genres for a while, and now I am extremely into Dubstep, DnB, and some Electro House. The first headphones I used, like many others, were the stock iBuds. They satisfied me for a while. Then I got into rap in 7th, 8th grade and tried some skullcandies. They were the Hesh model, they broke after 3 months. Needless to say, I will never go with anything they make ever again. When I used to game, I had a pair of Tritton AX720s, and I use them right now. I can't imagine they are super bassy, as that wouldn't be a great quality for a gaming headphone. They sound good to my ears through my laptop and foobar(far better than itunes). I have no reference so I obviously can't give a great description of what I would like. I also listen with 320kbps mp3s, so low quality audio isn't a huge problem. My portable is an iPhone 4 16gb.

Now, I have lurked and found a few headphones that would seem to fit my needs.

The Sony XB series came to mind first, as I hear they are a tremendous budget headphone, Rpgwizard seems to loves his XB500s to death. People have said they are very boomy, while the 700s have huge sub-bass, but not so much kick. For a song like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00aTAKI7cOA&feature=channel_video_title , I know there is sub-bass there, I can just barely feel it. Here is a song that I know there is a kick as well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swzMccCnnFs , and I can also feel it, it sounds good. I don't know a ton about the 1000s, so I am not sure.

I also looked at the ATH-M50s, HFI-580s, and ATH PRO700 MK2s. These all seem to be pretty good. I just would really love a ton of in-your-face bass, but not destroying the mids, because when I go EQ crazy, it feels like everything is being shrouded on a very bassy setting, and then when the bass stops, the veil is lifted. Now, this is only when I go full retard and bass up the EQ up a ton. I saw that the MK2s have the most bass of these 3, and it really seems like a fun headphone. I guess you could say I'm going after a very fun, boomy, headphone, but still retains the mids and highs, as well as having a nice sub-bass extension. 

If anyone could direct me in a good direction, it would be very greatly appreciated. 

Edit:
I am also interested in the Vmoda M80s, even though they are a portable.

Well how much are you willing to spend?

Some others to consider:
D2000 - great sub bass extension, maybe not as much kick
Ultrasone Pro750/900 - lots of kick and rumble
mod a Fostex T50rp or Pioneer HDJ-500/2000

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #7,413 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first good pair of headphones. I was leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 518 cause of the awesome reviews and decent price but I think that it might not suit my music type that well and also I probably shouldn't get open headphones because I don't want my music to be a nuisance to those around me.

Here's my info:

Price Range: Around $100-150
Music: mixed but mainly pop, RnB, and hip-hop (so looking for good bass)

I'd like Full size, over ear. I was originally looking to get open headphones so i could still hear people around me, but I don't want my music to be heard. Is that possible or should I just get closed design?

This will mainly be used for my iPod.

Sound quality is of greatest importance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #7,414 of 29,490

Quote:
No the E7 would do nothing. The E7 is a DAC when paired with the E9. No more power.

What you need to do is go to Goodwill or garage sales and find an old receiver. The HE-4 is one of the most power hungry cans out there. I wouldn't suggest anything under hundreds of dollars for the HE 4 in the vein of 'headphone amps'. But receivers give you a lot of power and are cheap if you can find one second hand.

Thanks for the advice. I will pass that along to him. Will avoid the fiio combo. The EF5 amp I linked to, would that still be a good amp for him to invest in when he has money in 6 months? Will it be enough to power it?

@Armaegis 

Basically, when the Gain is down on the Fiio e9 it's too quiet (because it's not enough power). But it sounds silky smooth. When the Gain is lifted, there is more power oomf to it. But on certain artists (where the singer has high/sharp voices, or there are strings) they distort/crack. It's weird. But when he flips the gain switch down on those songs, it sounds smooth. 

Not sure if that makes any sense. I'm terrible with terminology, so I apologize. 

Other then that though, he loves the HE-4. He just needs better equipment to power them. 

Interesting enough, my HE-500's were powered just fine on his E9 when I brought them over. I knew they were made to be easier to drive. But was surprised. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #7,416 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first good pair of headphones. I was leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 518 cause of the awesome reviews and decent price but I think that it might not suit my music type that well and also I probably shouldn't get open headphones because I don't want my music to be a nuisance to those around me.

Here's my info:

I'd like Full size, over ear. I was originally looking to get open headphones so i could still hear people around me, but I don't want my music to be heard. Is that possible or should I just get closed design?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Just go with closed. Anything open will disturb people around you. Consider something like the Audio Technica M50 or the Shure 840. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #7,417 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

Here's my info:

Sound quality is of greatest importance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hey, try the Koss ProDJ100 with some M50 pads. Vocals as good as the SRH840 but with more hip-hop worthy bass. Great isolation too.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #7,418 of 29,490
Budget: $150-$250
Type: Open or Closed, Doesn't Matter, Low Impedance preferred
Music Type: Indie Rock, Electronic Music

I'm looking for headphones with a lot of character and fun, I'm not necessarily looking for something neutral. I just want indie and electronic/techno music to sound great. I like bands like The Shins, Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, Daft Punk. They should also be comfy and not always require an amp.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #7,419 of 29,490
I have a set of Audio Technica A900's, and I like their mids but I'd like something with a bit more in the top and bottom end.  Right now I'm thinking about the HE-300's, HE-4's, or maybe the HD-650's.  I'll probably be running these off of an Audio GD DAC/amp combo, probably the NFB-5.  

Thanks for any help.  

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #7,420 of 29,490
Probably around $200 or below. The 700s seems good, although they don't seem to have a great punch from what I've heard. How do the 1000s sound in comparison?

I will also probably purchase a cowon player soon as well, it if makes a big difference.

The XB 1000 has the least kick from what I've heard of the series and various reviews. They're the most balanced of the series. If you want a lot of impact i'd suggest an Ultrasone. They can't be beat for pure slam in my experience.

Thanks for the advice. I will pass that along to him. Will avoid the fiio combo. The EF5 amp I linked to, would that still be a good amp for him to invest in when he has money in 6 months? Will it be enough to power it?

@Armaegis 

Basically, when the Gain is down on the Fiio e9 it's too quiet (because it's not enough power). But it sounds silky smooth. When the Gain is lifted, there is more power oomf to it. But on certain artists (where the singer has high/sharp voices, or there are strings) they distort/crack. It's weird. But when he flips the gain switch down on those songs, it sounds smooth. 

Not sure if that makes any sense. I'm terrible with terminology, so I apologize. 

Other then that though, he loves the HE-4. He just needs better equipment to power them. 

Interesting enough, my HE-500's were powered just fine on his E9 when I brought them over. I knew they were made to be easier to drive. But was surprised. 

The HE 500 sounds just fine out of the E9. I tried it when I had them. The HE 4, HE 5, and HE 6 are known for being very hard to power.

Edit: Yes that would be enough. I've heard they pair well.

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #7,423 of 29,490

Quote:
Well thanks for the help guys. I'll probably go with the XB500s or save up and try for some Pro900s. The V-Moda M-80 looks epic too, we'll see.

The M80 is a pretty nice portable, but if your headphones are mainly going to be used at home, go with the XB500 or Pro900. The XB500 is very comfortable, and sounds pretty good when Equalized properly, but it is nowhere near as portable as the M80.

The M80 also has a tight fit and sounds very meh when first used, but after a couple days, it beats the XB500 in everyplace except for the quantity of bass (I think the M80 hits a bit harder than the XB, though) and soundstage. This is because the XB's use actual vents, however isolation isn't that good, and sound leakage is pretty bad.

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #7,424 of 29,490
Ok, I need a pair of full size cans, preferably open. I have about $115 in amazon credit from trading in some textbooks. So I'm not looking to spend much more. I want something with decent bass response, since I'll be listening to mostly rock, pink floyd and other classic rock to more modern stuff. I was looking at the ATH-AD700 but had concerns about the reportedly anemic bass response. I'm not looking for overwhelming bass but enough to sound full. Would the AD700s be a good choice or are there any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back