++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 22, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #7,381 of 29,490
I would go with the HE 25-1 II. I think it's the best all rounder of those 3 and you've got a pretty big variety of stuff there. They're amazing for EDM, and I used them for rock as well (as have others), and they do it well. 

As stated they can feel a little confined, but I found it doesn't matter with EDM, and it's not that bad with rock. I wouldn't suggest something like Opera, or Classical on them...but they're the best 'all round' sound out of those 3 choices (IMO).

Second choice would be the HFI 580. Another good all rounder, but more attack than the HD 25-1 II. If you like a really 'in your face' sound...go for those. I find sound like that to be fatiguing much quicker than something a little more laid back. Any headphone with tons of attack can get a little tiring depending on your music.

Quote:
Question: Between the HD25-1 II, DT770 (specify if pro or premium), or HFI580s

Which can would be best for rock in the vein of Third Eye Blind, and the full spectrum of electronica ranging anywhere on the elctronic spectrum from minimal,  to progressive, house, techno, electro, trance, psytrance, psycho, and indie electronica, etc.?

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #7,382 of 29,490
I don't think you'd notice a ton, but it would definitely be there. You might want to try something like the E7, or a uDac before you go spending a ton on something you might not think makes a big enough difference.

Changes in source and what not I find are much more noticeable on more revealing headphones (not the M50).

Quote:

Thanks for your info. The Audio Technica M50's looked nice and I may get them. But how much better quality I would get using some DAC? I'm afraid that the integrated soundcard is pretty bad.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #7,383 of 29,490
Thank you!

I was originally thinking Superlux HD-668b or JVC HARX700, but I'll add this guy to the short list too. Otherwise I was thinking of going cheap and picking up a set of Koss URsomething.

Anyone have any thoughts they can add about this comparo?

To be completely honest, I only game for pleasure - nothing competitive. Therefore soundstage isn't TOO TOO important to me, I'd rather have an immersive/fun experience (which is why the forgiving bit is kinda important - especially since it's being driven by a TV of all things).

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Step-Monitor/dp/B004MMEI8W

30 bucks shipped, but amazing sound.  They are vented, so some sound does leak out (more than average leaks out/below average isolation), but it has pretty decent soundstage and I love the bass on it (which may hurt a bit if you are going for positional accuracy in FPS)

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #7,384 of 29,490

[size=medium]
I know bass is frowned upon in this forum, but in case you love dance, dubstep or techno music I have the perfect headphone for you. Plus, bass isn't a bad thing, it's just as important as the mids and highs, but thanks to beats by dre and some other overpriced crappy headphone audiophiles are starting to bash it more and more. Anyway, if your a complete BASSHEAD (audiophiles don't eat me alive) the Sony MDR-XB1000 headphones ( link bellow) are perfect for you.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666310329#reviews

[/size]

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #7,385 of 29,490

Quote:
I don't think you'd notice a ton, but it would definitely be there. You might want to try something like the E7, or a uDac before you go spending a ton on something you might not think makes a big enough difference.

Changes in source and what not I find are much more noticeable on more revealing headphones (not the M50).

Okay. I might not get the DAC then, because I'm a bit low on budget. How much better quality you think I'd get from the headphones compared to my old ones (listening FLACs)? I mean, are the new ones worth the price?

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #7,386 of 29,490

Quote:
Question: Between the HD25-1 II, DT770 (specify if pro or premium), or HFI580s

Which can would be best for rock in the vein of Third Eye Blind, and the full spectrum of electronica ranging anywhere on the elctronic spectrum from minimal,  to progressive, house, techno, electro, trance, psytrance, psycho, and indie electronica, etc.?

Best for rock and all-rounder in my opinion would be the HD25-1-i. It has a good punchy bassline while keeping up with the mids. The DT770 have a deeper "womp" in the bass which is quite satisfying but leaves the mids and highs behind. The HFi580 is sort of a middle ground.

Quote:
Hello my name is Sam and I having lurking this forum for quite a while.

But it seems like more I read the more I get confused, so can you guys help me out?

I promise to be as helpful as I can be from my end and be as specific as I can.

I'm looking for something between $0-$500.

Unfortunately, I am going to be using my laptop or ipod classic.

I prefer closed as I like to listen in public places but I don't mind if it's open.

Comfort is not that important to me as long as it's not clamping down on my head.

I listen to Pop and Alternative mostly with movies every now and then. (The Maine, Six Pence None the Richer, Carolina Liars, Coldplay, Ingird Michaelson, Hellogoodbye)

My music ranges from gentle soft tones to peppy pop rock/alternative but nothing close to heavy metal.

I want the best sound quality possible for my music first and my movies second.

If you give me a good reason too, I am more than willing to spend more as money isn't a big issue.

As for the amp, I am planning on getting a Meier Audio Stepdance

I'm leaning towards Denon AH-D2000 as of now but is there anything better suited for me?

Thanks!

The D2000 isolates very poorly. If you're going to be in public places, you will want something with a high degree of isolation otherwise you'll just be fighting with outside noise. The best cans I have heard for isolation:
Sennheiser HD280/380
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii
Beyerdynamic DT770
B&W P5
Beyerdynamic DT1350
Beyerdynamic T50p

This covers a fairly wide range of options, so hopefully it gives you a good starting point to form some ideas.

Quote:

Thanks for your info. The Audio Technica M50's looked nice and I may get them. But how much better quality I would get using some DAC? I'm afraid that the integrated soundcard is pretty bad.

It's not a huge difference unless you really know what to listen for, and for most people they won't even notice unless they have a really noisy soundcard that injects static. There are several <$100 dac/amps that you can look into if interested.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #7,387 of 29,490

[size=medium]
I know bass is frowned upon in this forum, but in case you love dance, dubstep or techno music I have the perfect headphone for you. Plus, bass isn't a bad thing, it's just as important as the mids and highs, but thanks to beats by dre and some other overpriced crappy headphone audiophiles are starting to bash it more and more. Anyway, if your a complete BASSHEAD (audiophiles don't eat me alive) the Sony MDR-XB1000 headphones ( link bellow) are perfect for you.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666310329#reviews

[/size]

It's not frowned upon here at all. There's more bassheads around these parts than you think...

Not sure if this post was directed at anyone in particular but for total bassheads the XB 700 or Pro 900 are probably a better option than the XB 1000 due to the XB 1000 having a more balanced sound than it XB brothers

Okay. I might not get the DAC then, because I'm a bit low on budget. How much better quality you think I'd get from the headphones compared to my old ones (listening FLACs)? I mean, are the new ones worth the price?

What were your old headphones, again?

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #7,390 of 29,490
I'm currently looking for an upgrade from my HFI 580. Currently interested with the PRO 900 and HFI 780, but I'm willing to consider other cans if you guys have suggestions. I will be using them through an e7/e9 to listen to dubstep mainly. Considering recabling the new cans, budget of around $350. Any advice on what to get + where to mod them (scared to recable myself) is appreciated! 

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #7,391 of 29,490
I'm currently looking for an upgrade from my HFI 580. Currently interested with the PRO 900 and HFI 780, but I'm willing to consider other cans if you guys have suggestions. I will be using them through an e7/e9 to listen to dubstep mainly. Considering recabling the new cans, budget of around $350. Any advice on what to get + where to mod them (scared to recable myself) is appreciated! 

I'd hit up the Pro 900. Amazing headphones and many love them with a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable. Nice thinf about the 900 as well is the removeable cable. Get the cans, order the cable. Still get to enjoy them while you wait and the switch is as easy as screwig in the new cable.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7,392 of 29,490

Quote:
The D2000 isolates very poorly. If you're going to be in public places, you will want something with a high degree of isolation otherwise you'll just be fighting with outside noise. The best cans I have heard for isolation:
Sennheiser HD280/380
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii
Beyerdynamic DT770
B&W P5
Beyerdynamic DT1350
Beyerdynamic T50p

This covers a fairly wide range of options, so hopefully it gives you a good starting point to form some ideas.

I don't like any of them, unfortunately. Besides I'm not looking for something with a high degree of isolation. Just enough to enjoy my music while I'm studying at the park or walking to the store.

AKG k701 /702 was recommended to me, what do you think about those pairs?

Thanks

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #7,393 of 29,490

Quote:

I don't like any of them, unfortunately. Besides I'm not looking for something with a high degree of isolation. Just enough to enjoy my music while I'm studying at the park or walking to the store.

AKG k701 /702 was recommended to me, what do you think about those pairs?

Thanks

Can you give us a better idea of what kind of sound you're looking for? What headphones have you had before that you liked (or didn't like)?

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #7,394 of 29,490
I'm looking for some headphones less then $250 that are good for metal/rock/electronica, as well as a lot of gaming so comfort is a factor. I have had the PX100 and HD650's and they sound good but are a little bit too laid back and I wish to find something that is a little more clear in their presentation, but not so much that there is a lot of sibilance.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #7,395 of 29,490
I'm thinking about getting some new headphones in the next few weeks and need a little help.  My budget is around $200. I'm looking for some headphones that will be used on my computer without an amp.  Quality construction is a must! I tend to break pairs after a year and a half of use, and I'd like to break that habit.  I'll mostly be using these headphones for music (house, trace, rock, rap).  Swivel, closed, over ear headphones is what I would prefer.  I had a pair of dt-770 80 pro and I enjoyed the sound, but they broke after about a year and a half of torture and I didn't like that they weren't swivel earphones.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back