++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #7,351 of 29,490
Hi!
I'm about to buy my first professional headphones and i got to chose from those 2 models:
-BayerDynamic DT 770 Pro
and
-Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
I listen to hip-hop, minimal, house and R&B music. Very ralelly i listen to classic ones.
So which one would you guys recomand?

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #7,352 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi!
I'm about to buy my first professional headphones and i got to chose from those 2 models:
-BayerDynamic DT 770 Pro
and
-Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
I listen to hip-hop, minimal, house and R&B music. Very ralelly i listen to classic ones.
So which one would you guys recomand?

With amp: DT770
without amp: HD380

Quote:
Best opened headphones for 140$

$100 AKG K240 Sextett
$20 vintage receiver from a garage sale
$20 twofour of choice

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #7,353 of 29,490
What would be good options ofr the following situation:

I'm looking for a good headphone preferably under $100 for both normal music listening (pleasure) as professional (basic mixing). The music I make and listen to the most are by far hiphop (also R&B, nu-soul) and dance, I also make music in these genres.
My knowledge on headphones isn't sufficient enough for me to decide on my own, as I for example don't know what will work better for this situation (closed vs. non closed, brands etc) ... if it is able to work non-amped as well would be kinda nice tho

Who can help me out ?

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #7,354 of 29,490
My favorite go-to headphones for a request like this (<100 & Production) are the Sony MDR V6, and the Senn. HD 280. Both are brilliant headphones for the price, but I think the MDR V6 would be the way to go. Some find the 280 bass lean, and comfort (though subjective) is a little harsh because of the clamp on the 280.

Many will argue that the V6 is no good for production because it _is_ somewhat colored...but it's been an industry standard for years.

Both sound nice unamped, but they will both benefit from more power. The V6 has more noticeable changes with more power (IMO).

Quote:

I'm looking for a good headphone preferably under $100 for both normal music listening (pleasure) as professional (basic mixing). The music I make and listen to the most are by far hiphop (also R&B, nu-soul) and dance, I also make music in these genres.
My knowledge on headphones isn't sufficient enough for me to decide on my own, as I for example don't know what will work better for this situation (closed vs. non closed, brands etc) ... if it is able to work non-amped as well would be kinda nice tho

Who can help me out ?

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #7,357 of 29,490
Hey everyone :)
I am looking to buy some nice Headphones, and a lot of people in my school have Beats by Dre so I was looking into getting some as well. I researched a bit and looked around especially on the Beats by Dre Studio, and I found a lot of split opinions, some saying that they are the best headphones ever, some saying that there are a lot better ones for the same price. I could buy them for about 200€.
I am a real noob so please don't call me ignorant for wanting to get Beats (Because I've heard a lot of people who disliked Beats say that the people liking them are ignorant :p )
Anyway please help me and let me know if you need any other info :D
A3

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #7,358 of 29,490

Quote:

Who can help me out ?

For mixing you want a flat/neutral frequency response. For the general consumer people, this will feel bass light. The reason is that if your headphones are bass heavy (or treble heavy, or whatever), your mix levels will be more or less inverted from the headphone response. That said, it's possible to EQ the bass down, but this invariably introduces phase shifts and artifacts. Not a big deal for your genres, but for anything with prominent acoustic/vocals it's a dealbreaker. 

In general, open headphones produce a better sound for mixing; flatter response (mostly in the midbass region) and less resonance. Once again though, for your genres this isn't as critical and a closed headphone should be fine.

TL;DR... Sony V6/7506 or Senn HD280pro. (which is pretty much what MorbidToaster recommended)

If you want something open, maybe an AKG K121 or something like that.

Quote:

I don't have an amp, but i have a X-Fi Creative sound card. So does it worth to buy the 770 Pros?
Remember that i listen house, hip-hop, R&B, minimal and rarelly classic music.

It'll be ok. Get the DT770pro (80 ohm) version, and consider an amp or sound card upgrade down the road.

Quote:
Hey everyone :)
I am looking to buy some nice Headphones, and a lot of people in my school have Beats by Dre so I was looking into getting some as well. I researched a bit and looked around especially on the Beats by Dre Studio, and I found a lot of split opinions, some saying that they are the best headphones ever, some saying that there are a lot better ones for the same price. I could buy them for about 200€.
I am a real noob so please don't call me ignorant for wanting to get Beats (Because I've heard a lot of people who disliked Beats say that the people liking them are ignorant :p )
Anyway please help me and let me know if you need any other info :D
A3

Here are some stylish alternatives:
Phiaton MS400: bass heavy, comes with hard case
B&W P5: more neutral, excellent isolation, very comfortable
Pioneer HDJ-500 or 2000: bassy, great construction

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #7,359 of 29,490

Quote:
Here are some stylish alternatives:
Phiaton MS400: bass heavy, comes with hard case
B&W P5: more neutral, excellent isolation, very comfortable
Pioneer HDJ-500 or 2000: bassy, great construction

I will check all of those out :)
Anyway I was kind of hoping for an opinion on the Beats by Dre Studio, and what I forgot to mention, since I will be using them with an iPhone, for me the button to answer calls (and of course also to go to next song, fast forward, etc.) is pretty much a must, and the Beats have that button, which I really like. I also like the removable cable... But again I am a noob with everything technical (well in the genre of sound and headphones) :)
Thanks anyway and thanks in advance for future responses (possibly)
A3

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #7,360 of 29,490

Quote:
Anyway I was kind of hoping for an opinion on the Beats by Dre Studio, and what I forgot to mention, since I will be using them with an iPhone, for me the button to answer calls (and of course also to go to next song, fast forward, etc.) is pretty much a must, and the Beats have that button, which I really like. I also like the removable cable... But again I am a noob with everything technical (well in the genre of sound and headphones) :)
A3

I've heard the entire beats lineup, and a healthy portion of headphones in their price range. The Beats are honestly not very good. Stylish yes, but sound quality is mediocre. The SoloHD are atrocious, the Studios are comfortable but soundwise should only cost a third of what they are (and the noise cancellation is weak), the Pro are ok with good construction but very uncomfortable and the price bump is not justifiable at all (and the Detox edition laughably moreso). 

I'm not too familiar with the headsets... though off the top of my head: Skullcandy Aviator, AKG Q460, Sennheiser PX200-IIi, I think the B&W P5, etc.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #7,361 of 29,490

Hello!

I'm going to buy a new pair of closed headphones. I currently have SteelSeries Siberia V2 plugged into my motherboard's integrated sound card, and I would like to get better quality. I would be using them mainly for my computer. I listen to a lot of electronic music so the headphones should be able to produce low frequencies well. The price range would be about $100-200.
Feel free to suggest me some but if you do please explain me why they would be good and tell me if I would need a new soundcard/DAC/Amp. Also I'm pretty new on these things so please treat me well :)

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #7,362 of 29,490
Hey im looking for good CLOSED headphones around the 300 dollar area. I listen to hip hop, rap and electro. I also like the subwoofer type bass. I was going for something like the AH d2000 but i heard you need an amplifier for them to sound better and i would have to add extra money for that. I would add an extra 100 dollars if needed.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #7,363 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey im looking for good CLOSED headphones around the 300 dollar area. I listen to hip hop, rap and electro. I also like the subwoofer type bass. I was going for something like the AH d2000 but i heard you need an amplifier for them to sound better and i would have to add extra money for that. I would add an extra 100 dollars if needed.

Perhaps you can check out an Ultrasone headphone (HFI-580/DJ1, DJ1 Pro, and PRO 750 come to mind) or the Phiaton MS400's. They don't require an amp and satisfy the bassheads around here.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #7,364 of 29,490

Quote:

Hello!

I'm going to buy a new pair of closed headphones. I currently have SteelSeries Siberia V2 plugged into my motherboard's integrated sound card, and I would like to get better quality. I would be using them mainly for my computer. I listen to a lot of electronic music so the headphones should be able to produce low frequencies well. The price range would be about $100-200.
Feel free to suggest me some but if you do please explain me why they would be good and tell me if I would need a new soundcard/DAC/Amp. Also I'm pretty new on these things so please treat me well :)

Thanks!

Popular options: Shure 750/840, Audio Technica M50/Pro700mk2, Ultrasone HFi 580. These are all full sized and bassy headphones with good isolation and are generally well regarded on these forums. They are all also quite easy to drive and you will not need a new soundcard or amp, although upgrading in the future is something you can always consider.

Quote:

The D2000 is a fine headphone and you do not need a separate amp unless you intend to drive to very loud levels.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #7,365 of 29,490

A3

AIAIAI TMA-1...Sexy looks, removeble cable, and control cable compatible. I think they sell a model that includes a nice control cable, but a lot of members here buy a Beats cable and slap it on the TMA-1. best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back