++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #7,126 of 29,490
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50

I dunno the site doesn't seem too shady. (There's a $40 off at checkout).

Is there any place I can try out any of these headphones? I really don't like the idea of buying a product without every trying them out before.

Edit: Price isn't that big of a factor, I'd just rather save my money if I can.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #7,127 of 29,490

Quote:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50

I dunno the site doesn't seem too shady. (There's a $40 off at checkout).

Is there any place I can try out any of these headphones? I really don't like the idea of buying a product without every trying them out before.

Edit: Price isn't that big of a factor, I'd just rather save my money if I can.

The site is not shady. http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html It is an authorized dealer.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #7,129 of 29,490
Hi all,

I am looking into getting myself a pair of headphones for gaming and music.
I'm interested in the Ultrasone hfi-580's or Ultrasone PRO 550's... but I'm open to input and suggestions.

-Budget $150
-Dubstep, rock, metal, really anything though.
-I want bass, but not overpowering.
-I Want a decent sound stage for gaming as well as music.
-I Do not want to hear my gaming PC through the headphones, So are open backs out of the question then?
-I will be using my Onkyo HT receiver for powering whatever phones i get.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #7,130 of 29,490

Quote:
i got a px100 so i dont have to worry about a portable headphones but whats a good full sized 1?

budget?
open/closed?
amp yes/no?
music preferences?

Blind recommendation: Ultrasone HFi2400

Quote:
Hi all,

I am looking into getting myself a pair of headphones for gaming and music.
I'm interested in the Ultrasone hfi-580's or Ultrasone PRO 550's... but I'm open to input and suggestions.

-Budget $150
-Dubstep, rock, metal, really anything though.
-I want bass, but not overpowering.
-I Want a decent sound stage for gaming as well as music.
-I Do not want to hear my gaming PC through the headphones, So are open backs out of the question then?
-I will be using my Onkyo HT receiver for powering whatever phones i get.

If you have a noisy pc, then open backed headphones may not be a good idea. Semi closed like a Beyer DT880 might be ok.

In general, big bass + closed doesn't mix with soundstage very well. There will have to be a compromise somewhere.

Some suggestions:
Sennheiser HD380 or PC350 (there's a relatively cheap one on the sale forums)
Beyerdynamic DT250, DT880, DT990 (slightly above budget, but used/refurbs would be affordable)
Fostex T50rp
Shure 840

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #7,131 of 29,490
Audio Technica ES55 vs Sennheiser PX200-II

Anyone have some general impressions on these? I was pretty sold on the Senns but I really hate the volume adjuster on the cord, and while I realize this should matter less, I also think the ES55s look a LOT more attractive... but I haven't been able to find a ton of info for the ES55s on these forums or google. I listen to something from just about every genre, and while I'm okay with some color, I don't want my headphones to make too many decisions for me... accurate is good.

From what I've read the ES55s sound great, but at that price point, with those looks, and the reputation for AT sound quality, it seems they'd be a more popular recommendation. Is there anything horribly, deplorably wrong with them that I need to know about? I'm interested in opinions, good or bad, about either or both headpohones.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #7,132 of 29,490
Sorry I'm back again and didn't see this thread again immediately as I thought it would have been pinned...oh well here is a copy of my topic:

Up to £250? (Up to $400 really)

I currently own 2 fotm's (Goldring 150's and Superlux 662B), fine, one open, one closed, and I thought they were great. Recently however, I have started becoming more critical of my music and might just focus on one particular instrument through an entire song, and critique how it sounds, where it is coming from and what could be improved. This came to a head when I compared them with my father's Senn 580's. What a difference! Instead of the singer being right in front of my face and smothering, he was further back, and the 3D projection of instruments changed from them sounding as if they were simply coming from my right and left to in front of me, either side of the singer.

I'm not saying I want another pair of senn's for myself, but I'd like to be able to appreciate my music this much more, where guitar strings have a special twang to them and are not merely an afterthought.

Both my 'phones have only cost me c. £50, and I was hoping to get something on the same level or greater than the 580's/600's with a large soundstage, good mids/vocals and an "enjoyable" sound that brings a smile to your face like those senn's did mine. I know that's not a great way of putting things, but I guess I'll just say I want beautiful clarity but not a pair of purely analytical headphones either.

Oh and they need to be very comfy too. For example a pair of Grado's are unbearable for me to wear.

My musical taste is fairly ecclectic, ranging from Beatles, to Southern folk and country to techno, but the most important thing for me is the vocals and guitar and obviously nice bass but it doesn't need to be pounding.

I hope you can help me find an all-round contender, as I had been looking at the Denon AH-D2000's, but I don't want heavy rock or metal cans that may make softer vocals an afterthought.

Thanks,

Jens

Although they are regarded as analytical headphones, I found the Shure SRH940's to be quite enjoyable. Mids, especially vocals, and highs are well presented with these 'phones. I absolutely love the 940's for female vocals. To me they are also very comfortable with the velour ear pads and pad cushioned headband. You can find them online at around $275 USD. My initial review for these phones are in my signature. They lack the bass punch like a lpt of headphones have but it does extend pretty far; the bass is not the main focus on these headphones. For techno music I found that a slight boost in the low end (around 100 Hz) is adequate. The soundstage is very good for a closed headphone as well.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #7,133 of 29,490
Hi all I am looking for a pair of headphones mostly for:

Budget /// 300-350$ - It's the max I will shell out considering past headphone buying experiences.
Purpose / Travel / on-the-go - So portability/ fold ability is important. (On the odd occasion I sit and mix music with my synth and go to the gym but that's another story...)
Music //// All types - Electronic / Indie / Rock / Alt. / Hip-Hop / etc.
Other ///// All-round durable / replaceable parts to be easily accessible.

So I've been looking into and reading up a lot on particularly the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Bowers & Wilkins P5.
I've previously owned Sennheiser HD 228's which I bought in Japan (approximately 80$ AUD) however the audio jack in less than a year is more or less broken meaning I have to twist it in my iPod every so often to get them to work normally. I admit, I didn't do much research, it was sort of a spur-of-the-moment-I'm-in-Akihabara-cool-and-I-need-a-pair-of-better-headphones-sort-of-purchase so I really just went with brands familiar to me - Bose, (were 20,000 yen and too pricey for me at the time) Denon, Shure, etc browsing-wise. My first pair of headphones, the Sony silver street styles I bought probably in high school lasted me at least 5+ years and still exist and work fine. The earpads are another story as they are non-existent now.

Anyway, so being a uni student with a bit of money to spare although my initial first 'investment' albeit small compared to other expensive headphones, I've decided to choose more carefully so it doesn't bite me in the butt and move on from my old Sony's and default Apple and Samsung earbuds I got with my iPod and Nexus S. I like the appeal of both the HD 25's and B&W P5's and between the two, plan on changing the chord to a coiled headphone cable (similar to the Marshall Major's audio jack with the metal grip and spring) if I were to get either pair. Although I don't know if it's possible or easily accessible to get for the P5's? I know there's a replaceable coil cable for the HD 25's.

I like that the HD 25's can be customised with the ear pad colours but I can't seem to find white ones like on the Adidas Originals website (refer to picture below) but I also like the build quality of the P5's. HD 25's I've seen online for about 249$ AUD and the P5's off eBaY 330$ AUD (Apple's inflated price tag comes in at 449$ AUD).

So, my question is, where can I get a coiled headphone cable for P5's online (if I were to get these), white earpads and headband pads for the HD 25's (if I were to get these), if I should be checking out other headphones based on my needs or, between the two I have listed, which would suit me better?

I apologise for the long first post...

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #7,134 of 29,490
Look at the Beyer T50P

It's like the HD25 but a little better here and there.

Don't change parts on a headphone when they still are under warranty. You change it after that time.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #7,135 of 29,490
How much of a difference to comfort does the Sennheiser 414 pads make? (in comparison to the stock comfies). The main problem i have with my MS1is is that the stock comfies heat up my ear VERY rapidly. They also get rather scratchy at times and washing them in fabric softener did squat. I'm considering reversed 414 pads as a solution to this.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #7,136 of 29,490

Quote:
How much of a difference to comfort does the Sennheiser 414 pads make? (in comparison to the stock comfies). The main problem i have with my MS1is is that the stock comfies heat up my ear VERY rapidly. They also get rather scratchy at times and washing them in fabric softener did squat. I'm considering reversed 414 pads as a solution to this.

I found them worse then the comfies.

Why? Because hair likes to stick into them worse. After a while, it's like rubbing your face against a comb.

Take the comfies and wash them in warm water with a small drop of dish soap. rub together and dry all night.

Add back on and adjust your headband clamping force. They you go.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #7,137 of 29,490
Hi,

I just posted my own thread before I saw this, so I guess I'll delete that one then! :)

I'm looking for a pair of cans for about the price of 200-300dollares, and since I basically can not get grados in Sweden, they are pretty much not an option.

MUSIC: I would say alternative rock, grunge, metal and pop. Groups like: Pearl Jam, Alter Bridge, Queens of the Stone Age, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Coldplay, U2, Nickleback, Linkin Park, System of a Down, ETC.

SOURCE: They will be plugged to my computer and I will probably buy a seperate sound card like the Asus Essence STX.

PURPOSE: I would like them to the deliver the best kind of sound for the music I like, but if they also are good for casual gaming and movie watching, that certainly does not hurt but good for music is my absolute priority.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser IE8 IEM, and I absolutely love the sound they deliver, so cans with a similar sound signatures would be excellent. I also previously owned the Klipsch Custom 3 but since the S-sounds it delivered was so piercing it felt like knifes stabbed into my brain and it's bass was too light, I had to give them away. So I would love the bass on the cans to not be weak and underpowered but rather adequate and punchy.

I'm not interested in portable cans, like the HD25, and I would like them to be OVER-ear and not ON-ear. Whether the cans is open or closed does not matter to me, since no one will be disturbed if they leak a lot of sound so recommend whatever should sound best for me.

Thank you very much in advance!
/Guld

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #7,139 of 29,490

Quote:
Audio Technica ES55 vs Sennheiser PX200-II

Anyone have some general impressions on these? I was pretty sold on the Senns but I really hate the volume adjuster on the cord, and while I realize this should matter less, I also think the ES55s look a LOT more attractive... but I haven't been able to find a ton of info for the ES55s on these forums or google. I listen to something from just about every genre, and while I'm okay with some color, I don't want my headphones to make too many decisions for me... accurate is good.

From what I've read the ES55s sound great, but at that price point, with those looks, and the reputation for AT sound quality, it seems they'd be a more popular recommendation. Is there anything horribly, deplorably wrong with them that I need to know about? I'm interested in opinions, good or bad, about either or both headpohones.

The PX200-ii have simply been around longer, so there will be more impressions of them. The ES55 is still rather new. I used to have the Senn and thought it was a very competant all-rounder. I didn't mind the volume control, and collapsibility/small form factor were a big plus.

Quote:
Hi all I am looking for a pair of headphones mostly for:

Budget /// 300-350$ - It's the max I will shell out considering past headphone buying experiences.
Purpose / Travel / on-the-go - So portability/ fold ability is important. (On the odd occasion I sit and mix music with my synth and go to the gym but that's another story...)
Music //// All types - Electronic / Indie / Rock / Alt. / Hip-Hop / etc.
Other ///// All-round durable / replaceable parts to be easily accessible.

So I've been looking into and reading up a lot on particularly the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Bowers & Wilkins P5.
I've previously owned Sennheiser HD 228's which I bought in Japan (approximately 80$ AUD) however the audio jack in less than a year is more or less broken meaning I have to twist it in my iPod every so often to get them to work normally. I admit, I didn't do much research, it was sort of a spur-of-the-moment-I'm-in-Akihabara-cool-and-I-need-a-pair-of-better-headphones-sort-of-purchase so I really just went with brands familiar to me - Bose, (were 20,000 yen and too pricey for me at the time) Denon, Shure, etc browsing-wise. My first pair of headphones, the Sony silver street styles I bought probably in high school lasted me at least 5+ years and still exist and work fine. The earpads are another story as they are non-existent now.

Anyway, so being a uni student with a bit of money to spare although my initial first 'investment' albeit small compared to other expensive headphones, I've decided to choose more carefully so it doesn't bite me in the butt and move on from my old Sony's and default Apple and Samsung earbuds I got with my iPod and Nexus S. I like the appeal of both the HD 25's and B&W P5's and between the two, plan on changing the chord to a coiled headphone cable (similar to the Marshall Major's audio jack with the metal grip and spring) if I were to get either pair. Although I don't know if it's possible or easily accessible to get for the P5's? I know there's a replaceable coil cable for the HD 25's.

I like that the HD 25's can be customised with the ear pad colours but I can't seem to find white ones like on the Adidas Originals website (refer to picture below) but I also like the build quality of the P5's. HD 25's I've seen online for about 249$ AUD and the P5's off eBaY 330$ AUD (Apple's inflated price tag comes in at 449$ AUD).

So, my question is, where can I get a coiled headphone cable for P5's online (if I were to get these), white earpads and headband pads for the HD 25's (if I were to get these), if I should be checking out other headphones based on my needs or, between the two I have listed, which would suit me better?

I apologise for the long first post...

I think the HD25-1-ii is much better suited for you considering durability and the ability to replace parts. The Adidas version do occasionally go on sale for cheaper than the regular version. As far as I know, coloured ear/head pads can be found in Europe...
http://www.recordcase.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=1308399091-6400&ls=e&nc=1308399135-6835&rubnum=&artnum=0030101491&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuche--earpad%20set
http://www.juno.co.uk/products/sennheiser-hd25-replacement-earpad-headband-pad-set-red-velour/424251-01/

I have no idea where you can get a coiled P5 cable.

Quote:

There are a few pad mods here to consider:
http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=grado_prj.htm

Quote:
Hi,

I just posted my own thread before I saw this, so I guess I'll delete that one then! :)

I'm looking for a pair of cans for about the price of 200-300dollares, and since I basically can not get grados in Sweden, they are pretty much not an option.

MUSIC: I would say alternative rock, grunge, metal and pop. Groups like: Pearl Jam, Alter Bridge, Queens of the Stone Age, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Coldplay, U2, Nickleback, Linkin Park, System of a Down, ETC.

SOURCE: They will be plugged to my computer and I will probably buy a seperate sound card like the Asus Essence STX.

PURPOSE: I would like them to the deliver the best kind of sound for the music I like, but if they also are good for casual gaming and movie watching, that certainly does not hurt but good for music is my absolute priority.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser IE8 IEM, and I absolutely love the sound they deliver, so cans with a similar sound signatures would be excellent. I also previously owned the Klipsch Custom 3 but since the S-sounds it delivered was so piercing it felt like knifes stabbed into my brain and it's bass was too light, I had to give them away. So I would love the bass on the cans to not be weak and underpowered but rather adequate and punchy.

I'm not interested in portable cans, like the HD25, and I would like them to be OVER-ear and not ON-ear. Whether the cans is open or closed does not matter to me, since no one will be disturbed if they leak a lot of sound so recommend whatever should sound best for me.

Thank you very much in advance!
/Guld

If you were considering Grado, then look into Alessandro. Same thing, slightly reduced treble, much more affordable.

Some other cans to consider:
AKG K701/K702/Q701
Shure 940
Ultrasone HFi780/2400

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #7,140 of 29,490
What do you guys recommend for decent portable noise cancellation headphones under $175.  Primarly rock, acoustic music.  Super bass not needed.  I like mids and highs.  The noise cancellation does not need to be that strong but just good enough for an airplane.  I am more concerned with portability and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back