++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 6, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #6,946 of 29,490
Hi, i was thinking about buying the 
Sony MDR:XB300 or the MDR:XB500
what i need is an all around earphone, i listen to all kinds of music, and not just bass heavy stuff. 
Which one is more durable, and what are the main differences? which one would you recommend for a first time Headi Fier

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #6,947 of 29,490

Quote:
Awesome... hadn't heard of CCC. Looking at the price graph for the last few months, they haven't really gone below £200: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Pioneer-HDJ-2000-High-End-Professional-Headphones/product/B001MTGWC8 so I may just have to bite the bullet...

One last thought... If the Pioneer set cost 200, how do the Denon D2000s compare?

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #6,948 of 29,490
I'm in the market for some good cans for office use. It's an open floor plan and I need to be able to hear when people want to talk to me, but I also don't want to have my music leaking out & annoying those around me.

Requirements: 
Must be circumaural (I cannot stand supra headphones).
Needs to be extremely comfortable (Beyer DT's are not big enough).
I'd prefer not to have to use an amp.
Price range of about $600.
Must be sturdy enough to survive the bus ride in my bag (wont be worn on the bus).
Open or closed is fine, as long as it doesn't leak & I can hear people talk to me (I know thats a bit contradictory).
I would lean towards more bass heavy than treble heavy, but neutral is also good.

Music: Rock/Techno/Some classical. No hip-hop or jazz.

Does such a headphone exist?

Sounds like a Denon to me although not sure how well they'd fit in a bag. Maybe the D5000 at that price range.

You gotta be careful with them but they fit the others quite well. Most comfy headphones ever, IMO.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #6,950 of 29,490

Quote:
Best "reasonably-priced" headphone for use with Schiit Valhalla amp?

I was leaning to DT-880s 600s but am wondering if this is an ideal match with this amp.  Would, for instance, the Sennheiser HD 650s be a better compliment to the strengths & tonal balance of the Valhalla?

Repertoire will be almost exclusively classical / opera & vocal music.  I'll leave the rock & pop for my 1993 vintage DT-990s Pros.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

With your luck, you should enter the Sennheiser contest 
cool.gif

While I'm overall not a fan of the Beyer sound, the DT880 is the most balanced of the three siblings and plays well to classical and vocals.

For classical and acoustic genres, I like the AKGs (Sextett for overall presentation and warmth, K701 for impeccable detailing) and Audio Technicas AD series for superb midrange and staging (I've seen the AD2000 go for $400 used, though they seem to be more scarce lately)

Quote:
I'm in the market for some good cans for office use. It's an open floor plan and I need to be able to hear when people want to talk to me, but I also don't want to have my music leaking out & annoying those around me.

Requirements: 
Must be circumaural (I cannot stand supra headphones).
Needs to be extremely comfortable (Beyer DT's are not big enough).
I'd prefer not to have to use an amp.
Price range of about $600.
Must be sturdy enough to survive the bus ride in my bag (wont be worn on the bus).
Open or closed is fine, as long as it doesn't leak & I can hear people talk to me (I know thats a bit contradictory).
I would lean towards more bass heavy than treble heavy, but neutral is also good.

Music: Rock/Techno/Some classical. No hip-hop or jazz.

Does such a headphone exist?

Bigger than the Beyer DTs? Hmm... that leaves the full sized Sennheisers (basically the 598 without amp), the winged Audio Technicas, Phiaton PS 500 ... and the Sony XB 700/1000. Maybe the Ultrasones too; though I think they might be the same size as the DTs. Same for the Shure 840/940 which aren't really bigger but they're oval so that might be better. 

You'll want closed with only moderate isolation (so that rules out the Senn), and more rugged to survive the trip (so no Audio Technicas).

Of the remainders, the most comfortable for me was the Phiaton PS500 (and remains one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned). The isolation is moderate as well, so you'll be able to hear people sneak up on you, and the leakage is minimal. 

Quote:
Hi, i was thinking about buying the 
Sony MDR:XB300 or the MDR:XB500
what i need is an all around earphone, i listen to all kinds of music, and not just bass heavy stuff. 
Which one is more durable, and what are the main differences? which one would you recommend for a first time Headi Fier

Here's a good comparison of them: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-xb300-mdr-xb500-and-mdr-xb700-extra-bass-headphones

Quote:
One last thought... If the Pioneer set cost 200, how do the Denon D2000s compare?

Tough call for me, as they're both very good. Personally I would keep the Pioneer, but that's because it's more portable so I can bring it in my bag with me and I do need the higher isolation. The D2000 is more even handed and has a richer sound, but is not something I would carry around with me and the isolation is lousy, and leakage even worse. 

Quote:
What are the best studio monitoring headphones that are under $400?

I produce in several different genres so I need an all-around killer!

Thanks in advance,

-Mr.Bob

AKG K701
Fostex T50rp (slightly modded)

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #6,951 of 29,490
After some months with Sennheiser HD 600, i´m looking at HD 800 direction, but the question is will Lehmann Rhinelander feed them properly? Other source chain is Comp - CA Dacmagic, and im happy with them. Because upgrading amp at the same time doesn´t fit my budget.

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #6,952 of 29,490
Hi, I'm new here and looking for some headphones.

I'm starting at Uni in October (doing music) so I'm looking for headphones that won't leak too much in the library, so I guess Closed.
I listen to Classical a lot, but aside from that I listen to virtually all music, so they have to be quite versatile.
I'm not looking to buy an amp.
My listening will probably be split between my hifi and iPod Classic so they have to be versatile here. But I would sacrifice some quality on hifi for them to sound good on my iPod.
My price bracket is £100-200.

Thanks

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #6,953 of 29,490

I'm starting at Uni in October (doing music) so I'm looking for headphones that won't leak too much in the library, so I guess Closed.
I listen to Classical a lot, but aside from that I listen to virtually all music, so they have to be quite versatile.
My listening will probably be split between my hifi and iPod Classic so they have to be versatile here. But I would sacrifice some quality on hifi for them to sound good on my iPod.

Thanks

You could look into the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. Runs fine from an iPod, and even better when amped.
Comfort might be an issue though. While they're excellent when you wear them for an hour or so, it can get uncomfortable when you wear them for very long.
This can be fixed by buying velour ear pads, but I have never used other than stock ear pads myself, so I can't comment on the increase in comfort.

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #6,954 of 29,490

Quote:
Tough call for me, as they're both very good. Personally I would keep the Pioneer, but that's because it's more portable so I can bring it in my bag with me and I do need the higher isolation. The D2000 is more even handed and has a richer sound, but is not something I would carry around with me and the isolation is lousy, and leakage even worse. 

Sounds like a good enough reason to stick to me! I don't suppose you've heard the Beyer T50ps, by any chance? They seem pretty portable, too, and are a similar price.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #6,955 of 29,490

Welll I need a headphone with a good flat response, cause im starting a new sound engineering course now, so i'll be using it a lot, so it has to be comfortable as well.

I wont be using any kind of amp now, because ill be using all my budget to by the headphones.

I'm between the Shure srh840, ATH-M50, the beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, and the AKG K-271 mk2.

Cheers!

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #6,956 of 29,490
kay will be buying sr80i's or 125i's in a day or so

1. Which is more portable b/c i'll be wearing them to and fro?

2. Which one would also work for watching movies/shows on my laptop?

3. Is there an audible difference between the two that a relatively inexperienced audiophile could notice?

4. I enjoy music as a whole (like to be able to hear the individual parts)

favorite bands: rhcp, ccr, clapton, hendrix, nirvana, foo fighters, pink floyd (alternative, hard, classic rock) and SRV

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #6,957 of 29,490
thinking about upgrading to an external DAC/amp for my computer setup.

Two choices I've narrowed it down to:

Nuforce uDAC-2 + Little Dot I+

Fiio E7 + E9

Listening material is rock, alt rock, prog rock, metal.
Cans I'll be using with are MS1i's and A700's.

Opinions on how each setup would sound?

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #6,958 of 29,490

Quote:
After some months with Sennheiser HD 600, i´m looking at HD 800 direction, but the question is will Lehmann Rhinelander feed them properly? Other source chain is Comp - CA Dacmagic, and im happy with them. Because upgrading amp at the same time doesn´t fit my budget.

You'll want to ask in the dedicated HD800 threads. I would hesitantly say yes, but when you're dropping that kind of money, you'll want to hear from people who have specifically heard the equipment in question.

Quote:

Thanks

First two that came to mind: Phiaton MS300, Audio Technica ESW9a. Both are small and portable, easily driven, and isolate moderately (so long as you aren't blasting it you'll be fine)

Quote:
Sounds like a good enough reason to stick to me! I don't suppose you've heard the Beyer T50ps, by any chance? They seem pretty portable, too, and are a similar price.

Hah! I've auditioned it in the past, and I currently have one in my possession as I intend to write a review/comparison of the HD25, T50p and DT1350 (and HDJ2000).

Quick notes on the T50p: V shaped response with treble tilt, great for rock, funny fit but very comfortable once you get the right spot

Quote:

Welll I need a headphone with a good flat response, cause im starting a new sound engineering course now, so i'll be using it a lot, so it has to be comfortable as well.

I wont be using any kind of amp now, because ill be using all my budget to by the headphones.

I'm between the Shure srh840, ATH-M50, the beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, and the AKG K-271 mk2.

Cheers!

Not the DT770 (too bassy), but add: Senn HD280/380, Sony V6/7506, Fostex T40rp,

Quote:
kay will be buying sr80i's or 125i's in a day or so

1. Which is more portable b/c i'll be wearing them to and fro?

2. Which one would also work for watching movies/shows on my laptop?

3. Is there an audible difference between the two that a relatively inexperienced audiophile could notice?

4. I enjoy music as a whole (like to be able to hear the individual parts)

favorite bands: rhcp, ccr, clapton, hendrix, nirvana, foo fighters, pink floyd (alternative, hard, classic rock) and SRV

1. virtually the same, but in regards to portable use you know that these are very open phones and will not block out any noise, as well as leak sound like crazy
2. virtually the same
3. not really
4. is there a question here?

Quote:
thinking about upgrading to an external DAC/amp for my computer setup.

Two choices I've narrowed it down to:

Nuforce uDAC-2 + Little Dot I+

Fiio E7 + E9

Listening material is rock, alt rock, prog rock, metal.
Cans I'll be using with are MS1i's and A700's.

Opinions on how each setup would sound?

I would go with the FiiO combo just for greater versatility and portable use, and you know they were desgned to mesh with each other.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #6,959 of 29,490
1. virtually the same, but in regards to portable use you know that these are very open phones and will not block out any noise, as well as leak sound like crazy
2. virtually the same
3. not really
4. is there a question here?>

You're essentially saying that they are two almost identical headphones. What are the actual differences between these two headphones? :wink:

Good work in this thread by the way. Excellent way to learn a bit more about the headphone market, been taking notes as well.
Maybe one day I'll be as knowledgeable as you.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #6,960 of 29,490
The differences between the 60/80/125/225 are honestly very small. I did a back-to-back with all of them at one point and I'm not sure if I could reliably tell them all apart. Maybe going from 60 to 225, and even then it's only when switching back and forth and I could only qualify them as "different" not "better".

The Alessandro headphones feel a little less tizzy in the treble compared to their equivalent counterpart. The SR325 has more ringing. The HF2 it like an Alessandro but tuned down a little mellower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back