++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 6, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #6,931 of 29,490
I'm still trying to decide on my first set of proper cans (can't seem to settle on any one can long enough to pay for them, ha). I started by looking at the B&W P5s, and have since gone from the Beyer T50p (which are still an option given how portable/easy to drive they are), ATH M50s to the Shure SRH840s. I was about to order the 840s when I read a little about the Pioneer HDJ-2000s and was wondering whether I should spend the extra money? I'm willing to get an amp/DAC combo if necessary (and at one time considered the DT880 600ohm or Grado 225is with e7/e9).

Should I just plonk for the SRH840s (I have heard they are uncomfy, but am fairly impressed by reviews of their sound) if I'm into male singer songwriters (Josh Ritter, Tom Waits, Bon Iver) as well as Mumford and Sons/The National? Or should I spend the extra cash on one of the above? 

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #6,932 of 29,490

Quote:
alrighty, btw you havent answer the 2nd question :p
do both headphones require additional soundcard ?

You can use both on the laptop without a sound card.
But getting something like a Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card might help.
It has a built-in decent headphone amplifier, which your laptop does not.
The headphone amp. should improve the sound quality of your headphones.
The Asus Xonar DG comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1, which I believe some games take advantage of.
As lots of movie DVDs come with Dolby Digital 5.1, it should improve your movie experiance.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #6,933 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide on my first set of proper cans (can't seem to settle on any one can long enough to pay for them, ha). I started by looking at the B&W P5s, and have since gone from the Beyer T50p (which are still an option given how portable/easy to drive they are), ATH M50s to the Shure SRH840s. I was about to order the 840s when I read a little about the Pioneer HDJ-2000s and was wondering whether I should spend the extra money? I'm willing to get an amp/DAC combo if necessary (and at one time considered the DT880 600ohm or Grado 225is with e7/e9).

Should I just plonk for the SRH840s (I have heard they are uncomfy, but am fairly impressed by reviews of their sound) if I'm into male singer songwriters (Josh Ritter, Tom Waits, Bon Iver) as well as Mumford and Sons/The National? Or should I spend the extra cash on one of the above? 

Here's my review of the M50/Q40/SRH840/HDJ-2000... http://www.head-fi.org/t/512762/review-shure-srh-840-audio-technica-ath-m50-m-audio-studiophile-q40-pioneer-hdj-2000

tl;dr - I still have the Pioneers and sold/traded/gave away the rest

I've also heard or owned all the other headphones you've mentioned, and I would still pick the HDJ-2000. Mind you, it costs more than the others and it's all diminishing returns from here. If I had to pick another one, it would be the Shure 840 because I feel it handles vocals better. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #6,934 of 29,490

Quote:
I think the Phiaton MS300 would be a great fit for you. It's small and portable, has decent isolation, and has a bit of a Grado-esque sound in that it has the punchy edge to it, yet has the typical Phiaton brand sound with the downturned treble.

I dont like the look of it haha.
Im not too worried about a closed can that sounds like the grado, it could sound different, but the grado is the only reference point I have.

I would prefer the headset to be able to be warn around my neck (the ms300 can, IDK about the m50 though), and if the cups can rotate (like the grados and m50s) then that is definitely a feature (folding flat is good).

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #6,935 of 29,490

Quote:
I dont like the look of it haha.
Im not too worried about a closed can that sounds like the grado, it could sound different, but the grado is the only reference point I have.

I would prefer the headset to be able to be warn around my neck (the ms300 can, IDK about the m50 though), and if the cups can rotate (like the grados and m50s) then that is definitely a feature (folding flat is good).

I find the M50 a little on the big side for portable use, though this doesn't stop many people. How about an Ultrasone HFi780? or a Senn HD25-1-ii which is small and rugged. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #6,936 of 29,490

Quote:

Here's my review of the M50/Q40/SRH840/HDJ-2000... http://www.head-fi.org/t/512762/review-shure-srh-840-audio-technica-ath-m50-m-audio-studiophile-q40-pioneer-hdj-2000

tl;dr - I still have the Pioneers and sold/traded/gave away the rest

I've also heard or owned all the other headphones you've mentioned, and I would still pick the HDJ-2000. Mind you, it costs more than the others and it's all diminishing returns from here. If I had to pick another one, it would be the Shure 840 because I feel it handles vocals better. 

Thanks a lot! It was actually your review that pointed me towards the Pioneer set. When you say the 840 handles vocals better, would you say that they handle them better than the Pioneer phones?

Thanks again for all your help, you've been very patient with me!

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #6,937 of 29,490
I would say the Pioneers are better than the 840 for vocals... but it's not a huge difference. The 840s are also significantly cheaper now than they were last year when I wrote that review.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #6,938 of 29,490

Quote:
I find the M50 a little on the big side for portable use, though this doesn't stop many people. How about an Ultrasone HFi780? or a Senn HD25-1-ii which is small and rugged. 

Awesome comparison for the m50/840 BTW.

I have always liked the look of the hd25-1-ii, but some of the reviews on here dont sound too favourable.
That ultrasone pair has come up quite a bit as well, will have to have a look.

Cheers for the recommendations, and good work taking care of this thread mostly-solo xD

UPDATED:
I think I might go for the hd25-1 IIs, in my country they are $470 (almost $390USD) so I hadnt even considered them, although I had looked at them before and thought they looked great but were too expensive.

I like the replaceable parts and from the reviews it seems the bass is much more balanced compared for the m50s.

The 780's cable is far too long, doesnt have the same replaceable parts, doesnt look as good, and the reviews of the sound signature dont sound too great.

Thanks again!

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #6,940 of 29,490
I would say yes... but whether it's worth it to you is dependant on your budget. In any event, wait for a sale price on either of them which. I've seen them go for (equivalently) £80 and £150 respectively. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #6,941 of 29,490

Quote:
I would say yes... but whether it's worth it to you is dependant on your budget. In any event, wait for a sale price on either of them which. I've seen them go for (equivalently) £80 and £150 respectively. 

Awesome. I will plonk for the Pioneer set. Any idea when the headphone sale season is? Christmas? Not sure I can wait!

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #6,942 of 29,490
Best bet is just to just check prices regularly or use a webservice like camelcamelcamel to track prices and get alerts. Be careful of the "too good to be true" prices though, as there are fake HDJ-2000 out there.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #6,943 of 29,490

Quote:
Best bet is just to just check prices regularly or use a webservice like camelcamelcamel to track prices and get alerts. Be careful of the "too good to be true" prices though, as there are fake HDJ-2000 out there.

Awesome... hadn't heard of CCC. Looking at the price graph for the last few months, they haven't really gone below £200: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Pioneer-HDJ-2000-High-End-Professional-Headphones/product/B001MTGWC8 so I may just have to bite the bullet...

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #6,944 of 29,490
I'm in the market for some good cans for office use. It's an open floor plan and I need to be able to hear when people want to talk to me, but I also don't want to have my music leaking out & annoying those around me.

Requirements: 
Must be circumaural (I cannot stand supra headphones).
Needs to be extremely comfortable (Beyer DT's are not big enough).
I'd prefer not to have to use an amp.
Price range of about $600.
Must be sturdy enough to survive the bus ride in my bag (wont be worn on the bus).
Open or closed is fine, as long as it doesn't leak & I can hear people talk to me (I know thats a bit contradictory).
I would lean towards more bass heavy than treble heavy, but neutral is also good.

Music: Rock/Techno/Some classical. No hip-hop or jazz.

Does such a headphone exist?

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #6,945 of 29,490
Best "reasonably-priced" headphone for use with Schiit Valhalla amp?

I was leaning to DT-880s 600s but am wondering if this is an ideal match with this amp.  Would, for instance, the Sennheiser HD 650s be a better compliment to the strengths & tonal balance of the Valhalla?

Repertoire will be almost exclusively classical / opera & vocal music.  I'll leave the rock & pop for my 1993 vintage DT-990s Pros.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back