++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #6,826 of 29,490

Quote:
The MMX330 is a rebadged DT770. Plenty of reviews to read up on there if you do a search. I would consider the bass on the DT770 to be a little too much for competitive FPS gaming, but for casual gaming it should be fine.

As far as I'm aware, the PC350 is based on the HD380 which I quite liked.

My main concern about the PC350 is a. the build quality, since i'll have to wear them for 9 hours a day minimum.. b. the sound quality with music (i've read about poor basses and muddy sound overall)

About the MMX300... i've read something about DT770, i'm not much worried about the bassy sound, since i'm not a fully competitive gamer, and i can use some EQ, plus that SHOULD be a pro when listening to electro, ambient, minimal and stuff. But im more concerned about the lack of mids and the "muddyness" (lol) of midbasses... can you confirm this?

Thanks thanks thanks for your replies :)

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #6,827 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

Actually there is no possibility to listen to these headphones. 325 or he300 I can order from my local dealer, whereas ms2i i'll have to order from Allesandro and I'll have to pay taxes and custom fees when shiped to europe. I was very keen on buying 325, but then I saw quite entusiastic opinions about He300. They meant to be more spacious, less harsh grado, I wonder if anyone compered these to cans. 

There is a shop in California with the Alessandro MS2i in stock that I ordered from yesterday. I called them up and he gave them to me for $270 shipped and even accepted PayPal. The shop has a website. http://proaudioland.com Just go there and call the toll free number and ask about their MS2i they have for sale on eBay for $299. Say you found out by a guy from here and that he paid $270 shipped. I'm sure he would give you the same deal as me. They are brand new in the box and come with 2 year warranty from Grado.

Thanks man, but it's still about $50 more than I can get 325 for. I don't want to strech my budget again. I think I'll stick with sr325 or he300, I don't think that ms2i are "that" much better than sr325. Personally I'd prefer to add $50 for better dac in the future. So which one of these two would you prefer?

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #6,828 of 29,490

Quote:

My main concern about the PC350 is a. the build quality, since i'll have to wear them for 9 hours a day minimum.. b. the sound quality with music (i've read about poor basses and muddy sound overall)

About the MMX300... i've read something about DT770, i'm not much worried about the bassy sound, since i'm not a fully competitive gamer, and i can use some EQ, plus that SHOULD be a pro when listening to electro, ambient, minimal and stuff. But im more concerned about the lack of mids and the "muddyness" (lol) of midbasses... can you confirm this?

Thanks thanks thanks for your replies :)

The 770 is more rugged than the 380 overall, but the 380 can fold flat and is more portable. Comfort/heat is about on par. I prefer the sound of the 380 which I feel is more balanced and did not have muddiness to my ear. The 770 is a bit too boomy for my liking, but for electro stuff it gives a good thump.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #6,829 of 29,490

Quote:
Yes the 598 was directed at your post. I feel like a broken record lately with my 598 recommendations but after owning higher tier cans I just haven't found anything I've enjoyed as much as the 598 (for the price). I expected them to be too bass light for me (as I listen to mainly bass centric Electronic music), but I love them to death and the mids just make everything better.

They're open so that does limit them a little in public and louder environments. The XB series are another favorite or mine simply because they're just fun. They do bass amazingly and that's all their really meant to do. May not be the clearest cans ever...but they're comfy and just fun to listen to.

For the longest time I've actually wanted to try open headphones with my music (my dad's HD600 has been burnt in heavily already... lol). I'm aware the bass may be lacking, but nothing some EQ tweaking can't fix, right?

As for the XB series, the cushions looks really comfortable, but is it worth sacrificing the lack of clarity?

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #6,830 of 29,490
I asked a question a few pages back about some distortion I was getting from some tracks, and I've been trying to figure out the quality issue. All of the tracks I've found with it so far are ripped from original cds (not cd-r or rws). I rip all my cds with iTunes @ 320 kbps (no VBR), auto sampling rate, stereo (not joint), smart encoding adjustments enabled, filter frequencies below 10hz enabled, and error correction enabled. Could iTunes or the settings i'm using be the cause?

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #6,831 of 29,490
I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones and wanted input from you guys.

Price Range: $75-$150
Type: Circumaural (Open or Closed)
Looking For: Comfort & Sound Quality

My main use for these headphones is going to be music followed by gaming. I usually listen to techno/trance/dubstep but also enjoy R&B/Rap.

Gaming wise I usually stick to FPS's & RPG's.

I have a set of Razer Carcharias I use for voice chat so maybe I should just stick to using those for gaming and get a set of headphones just for music? No idea to be honest. Suggestions are appreciated. If you need any further information just let me know.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #6,832 of 29,490

Quote:
The 770 is more rugged than the 380 overall, but the 380 can fold flat and is more portable. Comfort/heat is about on par. I prefer the sound of the 380 which I feel is more balanced and did not have muddiness to my ear. The 770 is a bit too boomy for my liking, but for electro stuff it gives a good thump.

I'm even more confused right now but.. thanks for your advices :) i really wish i could test them both >.<

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #6,833 of 29,490
m-80 crossfades, they are 230 $$$ but they look awesome, but i dont know how the sound quality is. would like to pick one up for traveling around b ecause they are rugged. i listen to hip hop/rb/ ligtht rock like linkin parks original music.

how much bass can these produce? if any?
http://shop.v-moda.com/p-195-crossfade-m-80-on-ear.aspx

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #6,834 of 29,490
About to pull the trigger on either the HD555's or HD595's.
atsmile.gif

I can get the 'HD555's' for $150 CDN Including Shipping....

Or I can get the HD595's for $190 CDN including Shipping PLUS with a Sennheiser Headphone Stand/Holder.

I know how fantastic the HD555's already sound, since i have a pair of my own...With cracked plastic and a shredded cord that is, 5 years of oh so sweet headphone abuse.lol Should I play it safe and get the HD555's? or go with the HD595's?

Also, i was just wondering if the HD595's crackle when the bass gets crazy during a bluray ray movie(for ex) and if they leak the same amount of sound as the HD555's or more?

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #6,835 of 29,490
Hi,
Should I get:
1. Grado sr325i
2. Sen HD 598
3. Sen HD 600?

I mainly listen to rock like: Russian Circles, Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin.  But I also listen to music by Wax Tailor alot.  I'm not looking for massive bass, just something good for a bit of everything.

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #6,836 of 29,490

Quote:
I asked a question a few pages back about some distortion I was getting from some tracks, and I've been trying to figure out the quality issue. All of the tracks I've found with it so far are ripped from original cds (not cd-r or rws). I rip all my cds with iTunes @ 320 kbps (no VBR), auto sampling rate, stereo (not joint), smart encoding adjustments enabled, filter frequencies below 10hz enabled, and error correction enabled. Could iTunes or the settings i'm using be the cause?

I'm pretty sure I answered you a few pages back, but just to reiterate: it's really difficult to determine what's causing distortion without more details (and even then, it's tricky). My first guess would be that your amp is clipping while playing loudly.

Quote:
I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones and wanted input from you guys.

Price Range: $75-$150
Type: Circumaural (Open or Closed)
Looking For: Comfort & Sound Quality

My main use for these headphones is going to be music followed by gaming. I usually listen to techno/trance/dubstep but also enjoy R&B/Rap.

Gaming wise I usually stick to FPS's & RPG's.

I have a set of Razer Carcharias I use for voice chat so maybe I should just stick to using those for gaming and get a set of headphones just for music? No idea to be honest. Suggestions are appreciated. If you need any further information just let me know.

The first thing to note is that strong bass and FPS games do not mix. Low frequencies tend to resonant and "feel" stronger, which obscures our ability to hear the upper frequencies where we get (more of) our positional cues from, which is crucial for FPS.

Something like the Audio Technica AD700 is fantastic for FPS, but lacking in bass for R&B. Likewise, a bassy close headphone will be unoptimal for gaming. Something like a Sennheiser is a decent compromise, like an HD555 or something along those lines.

Quote:
I'm even more confused right now but.. thanks for your advices :) i really wish i could test them both >.<

Do you have any music stores in your area? Those places usually have a decent variety to try out.

Quote:
About to pull the trigger on either the HD555's or HD595's.
atsmile.gif

I can get the 'HD555's' for $150 CDN Including Shipping....

Or I can get the HD595's for $190 CDN including Shipping PLUS with a Sennheiser Headphone Stand/Holder.

I know how fantastic the HD555's already sound, since i have a pair of my own...With cracked plastic and a shredded cord that is, 5 years of oh so sweet headphone abuse.lol Should I play it safe and get the HD555's? or go with the HD595's?

Also, i was just wondering if the HD595's crackle when the bass gets crazy during a bluray ray movie(for ex) and if they leak the same amount of sound as the HD555's or more?

If you do a search on the forums, you'll find the 595 is basically just the 555 with a foam patch in the cup removed. So for the $40 difference, it saves you the work and gets you a stand. Up to you if that's worth it or not.

Crackle in the bass could be a sign of clipping. Do you have an amp?

Quote:
Hi,
Should I get:
1. Grado sr325i
2. Sen HD 598
3. Sen HD 600?

I mainly listen to rock like: Russian Circles, Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin.  But I also listen to music by Wax Tailor alot.  I'm not looking for massive bass, just something good for a bit of everything.

Since the Grados are expensive outside the US, get the Alessandro MS2i instead.

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #6,837 of 29,490

Quote:
Do you have any music stores in your area? Those places usually have a decent variety to try out.

Sadly there's no trace of Beyers (and even some mid/high end Senn) in local stores here...

One more question if i can.. i assume PC350 cant be driven by onboard audio chip (even if it's pretty fine for other purposes on my dell xps15), so can you reccomend a proper usb amp/dac to help them sound better? IF that's possible :)

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #6,838 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I answered you a few pages back, but just to reiterate: it's really difficult to determine what's causing distortion without more details (and even then, it's tricky). My first guess would be that your amp is clipping while playing loudly.

The first thing to note is that strong bass and FPS games do not mix. Low frequencies tend to resonant and "feel" stronger, which obscures our ability to hear the upper frequencies where we get (more of) our positional cues from, which is crucial for FPS.

Something like the Audio Technica AD700 is fantastic for FPS, but lacking in bass for R&B. Likewise, a bassy close headphone will be unoptimal for gaming. Something like a Sennheiser is a decent compromise, like an HD555 or something along those lines.

If you do a search on the forums, you'll find the 595 is basically just the 555 with a foam patch in the cup removed. So for the $40 difference, it saves you the work and gets you a stand. Up to you if that's worth it or not.

Crackle in the bass could be a sign of clipping. Do you have an amp?

Since the Grados are expensive outside the US, get the Alessandro MS2i instead.

I've got a Sony 7.1 Receiver, and I'm feeding it HDMI through my PS3 for Audio. Yet whenever I watch a Bluray and when it gets to those Boomy Bassy parts my HD555's start to crackle to the point where i have to turn from something like 64 to 43, it's pretty **** annoying. I rarely ever notice it when on a DVD.

And doesn't removing the foam from the HD555's make them leak more sound? I could actually test it out for myself, but apperantly some people are saying this mod only makes a teeny weeny difference and it's 'still' not quite up to snuff as the 595's.

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #6,839 of 29,490

Quote:

Sadly there's no trace of Beyers (and even some mid/high end Senn) in local stores here...

One more question if i can.. i assume PC350 cant be driven by onboard audio chip (even if it's pretty fine for other purposes on my dell xps15), so can you reccomend a proper usb amp/dac to help them sound better? IF that's possible :)

From what I recall, the HD380 (the non mic version of the PC350) is ok from onboard sources.

I'm mostly just familiar with portable usb dac/amps... you have several offerings from iBasso, Leckerton, FiiO, Nuforce, etc, just to get you started.

Quote:
I've got a Sony 7.1 Receiver, and I'm feeding it HDMI through my PS3 for Audio. Yet whenever I watch a Bluray and when it gets to those Boomy Bassy parts my HD555's start to crackle to the point where i have to turn from something like 64 to 43, it's pretty **** annoying. I rarely ever notice it when on a DVD.

And doesn't removing the foam from the HD555's make them leak more sound? I could actually test it out for myself, but apperantly some people are saying this mod only makes a teeny weeny difference and it's 'still' not quite up to snuff as the 595's.

If the crackling happens when you've turned the volume up, the first two things I think of:
1) dirt in the driver - crack it open and visually check for hair or dirt on the driver
2) you're clipping the output - if your receiver runs off a discrete or opamp headphone stage rather than tapping off the speaker outputs, then it could be current or voltage clipping, or maybe both. Do you have any other source/amp you could try?

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #6,840 of 29,490
What do you guys think are the best headphones for  Metal (Iron Maiden, In Flames, Insomnium, etc), Jazz, Classical and some EDM? 
This is mainly for use out of a laptop, so no high-end dacs/amps. I've auditioned the Beyerdynamic dt880 250 ohm and it seems to be the one for me but I am wondering if you guys know of other cans that are better (I tried the dt990 250 ohm and I didn't like it at all)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back