++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 1, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #6,811 of 29,490

Quote:
Sony XB500/700 or Pioneer HDJ-500 come to mind. 

Lol the XB500/700 looks freakin huge! o: Definitely will look into the Sony's, thanks again.

Quote:
XB 500 would probably get my vote...
...or the HD 598 (might could find for 150 used? :D)

Was the HD598 directed at my post, btw? If so, I could try and bargain with my mom for the extra $30 ;D I definitely do like Senns, my dad has an HD600 which he bought a long time ago (he listens to acoustic stuff), and every time I borrow it I'm just blown away by its sound :D

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #6,812 of 29,490
Hmm, maybe I can come here for help. I've had some bad luck with my headphones lately. My first decent set of cans, the SRH440's, got left in a rental car, never to be seen again. I loved them.

My next set, HD595's were comfy, but leaked so much sound both in and out, that I couldn't really use them to their potential.

My current set, some HD280 pro's are nice, but pretty uncomfortable on my head. They squeeze so tight I have to take them off every hour or so.

I think in terms of priorities, Sound isolation is #1. I share an office with my gf and she often listens to stuff I'm not interested in. Comfort is next, then sound quality. Durability is pretty high up there as well (I've run over a few headphones/headsets with my computer chair in my day).

My budget is <$100 right now, but as always, that can be stretched if need be. I have no real manufacturer bias. I mainly listen to Metal and Rap (I know, I know...). Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #6,813 of 29,490

Quote:
Hmm, maybe I can come here for help. I've had some bad luck with my headphones lately. My first decent set of cans, the SRH440's, got left in a rental car, never to be seen again. I loved them.

My next set, HD595's were comfy, but leaked so much sound both in and out, that I couldn't really use them to their potential.

My current set, some HD280 pro's are nice, but pretty uncomfortable on my head. They squeeze so tight I have to take them off every hour or so.

I think in terms of priorities, Sound isolation is #1. I share an office with my gf and she often listens to stuff I'm not interested in. Comfort is next, then sound quality. Durability is pretty high up there as well (I've run over a few headphones/headsets with my computer chair in my day).

My budget is <$100 right now, but as always, that can be stretched if need be. I have no real manufacturer bias. I mainly listen to Metal and Rap (I know, I know...). Any thoughts? Thanks!

I can't think of anything in budget that isolates in the same ballpark as the HD280. If you're ok with buying used/refurbished, consider the Senn HD380 and Beyer DT770pro. Both have excellent isolation, with the Beyer being more rugged and the Senn with more balanced sound.

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #6,814 of 29,490
Devices: MacBook Pro, Samsung Galaxy S II
Requirements: Closed Headphones - to listen in my room, when I can't use my monitors
Use: Jazz (30%) Blues(30%) Classic Rock (40%)
Budget: $150 ($175 max)
I do not have an amp and would like headphone which do not require an amp

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #6,815 of 29,490

Quote:
The PC350 is a closed headset and based on the HD380. I don't know too much about pci sound cards, although the Xonar STX is pretty popular around here.

I read lot of complains about PC350 sound quality.. why are you suggesting that headset? Plus, as I said, i CANT go for a PCI soundcard...

Quote:
Hi 
Since no one answering the post i wrote before this (didnt see the thread title.. sorry about that), 
I'm looking for a closed headphone for music-movies-gaming, budget around 200-250€ or less.
Im going to use them on a Dell XPS15 laptop and (in a close future) iMac/Macbook, so since i cant get a PCI soundcard, im looking also for a dac\amp if needed! (in that price range.. if possible).

Please can anyone help me? My old headset broke and i really need to buy another one fast enough.. (loudy work environment :p)

Thank you.. and sorry for my english :|

PS: there's no headset (cans+boom mic) with a decent sound quality around... am I right? (PC360 maybe but they're open)

Thanks for your reply however :)

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #6,816 of 29,490
I just ordered denons 2000 any issues with these? i listen to hip hop/rnb/ ligh rock, some apocalyptica etc.
i had sennheiser hd212 for years, loved them. ordered the denons 2000 doe 219. so figure its probably good. Hows the bass compared to the sennheisers hd212? yes ancient but did me well.

any cons to these heaedphones?

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #6,819 of 29,490
well.. since the lack of feedback and the fact i find quite annoying having a clip-on mic.. im considering getting a pair of beyer MMX300.
Before i go for such an expensive piece of hardware i'd like to find out how mmx300 performs with music and movies.
Considering i'll be using them only on the pc (my "mobility" equipment it's fine atm, with a IE8 and PL50), i want to be sure i can use them either with games, music and movies without regretting the buy...

Can anyone help me pretty please? :)

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #6,820 of 29,490
I'm choosing between audio technica ad900, grado sr325is, hifiman he300 and I have few questions.
Which one would you choose for 70% hard rock and 10% female vocals, 20% jazz? Which one has the best clarity and separation? I'm looking for vivid, engaging but not fatiguing sound with realistic sounding electric guitars.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #6,821 of 29,490

Quote:
Devices: MacBook Pro, Samsung Galaxy S II
Requirements: Closed Headphones - to listen in my room, when I can't use my monitors
Use: Jazz (30%) Blues(30%) Classic Rock (40%)
Budget: $150 ($175 max)
I do not have an amp and would like headphone which do not require an amp

Shure 840 - a little bassier, but fairly even handed and isolates well, relaxed sound
Audio Technica ESW9a (used) - great midrange and airy texture, light and portable
Phiaton MS300 - portable and foldable with case, more energetic sound

Quote:
I just ordered denons 2000 any issues with these? i listen to hip hop/rnb/ ligh rock, some apocalyptica etc.
i had sennheiser hd212 for years, loved them. ordered the denons 2000 doe 219. so figure its probably good. Hows the bass compared to the sennheisers hd212? yes ancient but did me well.

any cons to these heaedphones?

The D2000 is a good all-rounder headphone. The bass isn't accented, but it extends deep and has resonance so feels much larger than it is. The isolation is quite poor though, and they also leak sound.

Quote:
well.. since the lack of feedback and the fact i find quite annoying having a clip-on mic.. im considering getting a pair of beyer MMX300.
Before i go for such an expensive piece of hardware i'd like to find out how mmx300 performs with music and movies.
Considering i'll be using them only on the pc (my "mobility" equipment it's fine atm, with a IE8 and PL50), i want to be sure i can use them either with games, music and movies without regretting the buy...

Can anyone help me pretty please? :)

The MMX330 is a rebadged DT770. Plenty of reviews to read up on there if you do a search. I would consider the bass on the DT770 to be a little too much for competitive FPS gaming, but for casual gaming it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally posted by 
  1. eggiogm

I read lot of complains about PC350 sound quality.. why are you suggesting that headset? Plus, as I said, i CANT go for a PCI soundcard...

As far as I'm aware, the PC350 is based on the HD380 which I quite liked.

Oh and sorry about the soundcard suggestion; I though you *wanted* a pci option. I'm mostly just familiar with portable usb dac/amp options; you can look up budget options by iBasso, Nuforce, FiiO, etc.

Quote:
Hey do you guys think this is worth it? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/2566600451.html
Or should I spend $120 for ATH-m50's
EDIT: nvm I read up and the m50's seem more worth it.

As a general rule of thumb, I try not to buy anything from online ads where everything is "YOU BUY NOW, PRODUCT IS AWESOME! LOL LOL!!!11!"

Go with the M50.

Quote:
Ultrasone 780 vs Denon D1100?

Given nothing else... the Denon. The S-Logic thing is just kinda weird for me..

Quote:
I'm choosing between audio technica ad900, grado sr325is, hifiman he300 and I have few questions.
Which one would you choose for 70% hard rock and 10% female vocals, 20% jazz? Which one has the best clarity and separation? I'm looking for vivid, engaging but not fatiguing sound with realistic sounding electric guitars.

I would lean towards the Grado, but the 325 is generally seen as the most polarizing (love it or hate it) of the grado lineup. Any way to audition it first? Or consider the Alessandro MS2i.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #6,822 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

I would lean towards the Grado, but the 325 is generally seen as the most polarizing (love it or hate it) of the grado lineup. Any way to audition it first? Or consider the Alessandro MS2i.

Actually there is no possibility to listen to these headphones. 325 or he300 I can order from my local dealer, whereas ms2i i'll have to order from Allesandro and I'll have to pay taxes and custom fees when shiped to europe. I was very keen on buying 325, but then I saw quite entusiastic opinions about He300. They meant to be more spacious, less harsh grado, I wonder if anyone compered these to cans. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #6,823 of 29,490
So after some more research, I'm starting to think that the Grados 225i's are not the best for me because I like rock but I'm more into jazz and hip-hop/pop and it seems that the HD 595s would be much more versitile for these styles. Would you guys agree with that, also, would the 595s still be good un-amped compared to the grados? I'm sure they will be better amped and I might get one later on, but for now they would just be ipod/laptop powered. Are they still worth it over the Grados for what style of music I like? Thanks a lot!

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #6,824 of 29,490

Quote:

Actually there is no possibility to listen to these headphones. 325 or he300 I can order from my local dealer, whereas ms2i i'll have to order from Allesandro and I'll have to pay taxes and custom fees when shiped to europe. I was very keen on buying 325, but then I saw quite entusiastic opinions about He300. They meant to be more spacious, less harsh grado, I wonder if anyone compered these to cans. 

There is a shop in California with the Alessandro MS2i in stock that I ordered from yesterday. I called them up and he gave them to me for $270 shipped and even accepted PayPal. The shop has a website. http://proaudioland.com Just go there and call the toll free number and ask about their MS2i they have for sale on eBay for $299. Say you found out by a guy from here and that he paid $270 shipped. I'm sure he would give you the same deal as me. They are brand new in the box and come with 2 year warranty from Grado.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #6,825 of 29,490
Yes the 598 was directed at your post. I feel like a broken record lately with my 598 recommendations but after owning higher tier cans I just haven't found anything I've enjoyed as much as the 598 (for the price). I expected them to be too bass light for me (as I listen to mainly bass centric Electronic music), but I love them to death and the mids just make everything better.

They're open so that does limit them a little in public and louder environments. The XB series are another favorite or mine simply because they're just fun. They do bass amazingly and that's all their really meant to do. May not be the clearest cans ever...but they're comfy and just fun to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol the XB500/700 looks freakin huge! o: Definitely will look into the Sony's, thanks again.

Was the HD598 directed at my post, btw? If so, I could try and bargain with my mom for the extra $30 ;D I definitely do like Senns, my dad has an HD600 which he bought a long time ago (he listens to acoustic stuff), and every time I borrow it I'm just blown away by its sound :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back