++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #6,796 of 29,490
Devices: Desktop, Laptop, Samsung Galaxy S II, DSi, PSP
Requirements: Closed Headphones - Girlfriend sleeps when I want to game or I am in the library at school
Use: Primarily PC gaming, occasionally classical or j-pop/rock music
Budget: $150 ($200 max)
Types of sound: I do not care so much about bass, but I do like clarity and details. I might get a usb dac amp when I am on the desktop, or a small amp if I need to use one with the portable devices.

I am looking for something simple, comfortable, and a decent build quality. I will be living in Japan in a few months in what will likely be an apartment with thin walls, so I will want to wear them often. I have a pair of iems (nuforce) that I like, but they can hurt my ears after a while. I am in the USA.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #6,799 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,
I've opened a thread about this (sorry about that...) but someone directed me here, so I'll post it here too. So here's the original post and I'll add a few things:
Quote:
Hi,
First of all, I'm sorry if this thread isn't appropriate in this forum.

I've decided that I want to buy a good set of headphones, but I'm very confused with all the different headphones. I'm not an audiophile but I enjoy music very much (I don't know if this is saying something but I really like FLAC quality music) and I'd like to have some headphones that can deliver a good (if not excellent) listening experience. So far I've only had cheap headphones and some decent earphones ( for me at least).

So I would like to buy a pair of headphones that is good but simple. In other words, a pair of headphones (I like the Full Size or Over Ear sizes, I think, but On Ears are okay too as long as they're comfortable) that is:
1. Enjoyable listening to.
2. I can connect it directly to my computer and iPod and still enjoy the music.
3. As portable as possible (that I can wear on the street and look as normal as possible).
4. With little sound leakage (my parents hate loud music and if I listen to headphones with sound leakage in the car they won't be happy).
5. I like listening to strong bass (is that how you phrase it? LOL) but not so much that my heart stops working.
6. Comfortable (obviously).
7. If the headphones are stylish that won't hurt anyone
smily_headphones1.gif

I know there are a lot of demands but not everything is absolutely essential. Right now I'm not even sure if I'll listen to this kind of headphones out of my house at all. My budget is about 350$ max. I know that's not a lot but as I said, I don't think I need to invest thousands of dollars to enjoy my music...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very very much and again, if this is not the place, I'm sorry.

Now a few things I have to add are:
I don't want to buy an amp (nor do I really know why you need one for headphones- I think for louder volume?) so I need a pair of headphones that can provide high volume even when connected directly to the iPod/computer
smily_headphones1.gif

I generally listen to britpop (Muse mainly), classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd), rock, indie but I also listen to a lot of other genres. The only genre I don't listen to is classical music opera etc. I hope this info helps
smily_headphones1.gif

So basically I need some headphones that I can just take out of the box and instantaneously enjoy my music. In the thread I opened the Denon AH-D2000 were suggested. Are they suitable to my taste (I've noticed they're very big and bulky and I don't think I can walk in public with them on my head)?
Also, what do you think of the AiAiAi TMA1? Are they any good for me?

Thank you very much in advance for answering
smily_headphones1.gif

Style, portability, and excellent isolation: B&W P5
still stylish, slightly less isolation, more bass: Phiaton MS400 (or the MS300 for less bass but more punch and smaller still)

Quote:
Hi 
Since no one answering the post i wrote before this (didnt see the thread title.. sorry about that), 
I'm looking for a closed headphone for music-movies-gaming, budget around 200-250€ or less.
Im going to use them on a Dell XPS15 laptop and (in a close future) iMac/Macbook, so since i cant get a PCI soundcard, im looking also for a dac\amp if needed! (in that price range.. if possible).

Please can anyone help me? My old headset broke and i really need to buy another one fast enough.. (loudy work environment :p)

Thank you.. and sorry for my english :|

PS: there's no headset (cans+boom mic) with a decent sound quality around... am I right? (PC360 maybe but they're open)

The PC350 is a closed headset and based on the HD380. I don't know too much about pci sound cards, although the Xonar STX is pretty popular around here.

Quote:
Devices: Desktop, Laptop, Samsung Galaxy S II, DSi, PSP
Requirements: Closed Headphones - Girlfriend sleeps when I want to game or I am in the library at school
Use: Primarily PC gaming, occasionally classical or j-pop/rock music
Budget: $150 ($200 max)
Types of sound: I do not care so much about bass, but I do like clarity and details. I might get a usb dac amp when I am on the desktop, or a small amp if I need to use one with the portable devices.

I am looking for something simple, comfortable, and a decent build quality. I will be living in Japan in a few months in what will likely be an apartment with thin walls, so I will want to wear them often. I have a pair of iems (nuforce) that I like, but they can hurt my ears after a while. I am in the USA.

Sennheiser HD380 or the PC350 if you want a mic. 

Quote:
sorry armaegis
i forget to write between wich one i was hesitating  beyer dt 770 pro 80 / sennheiser hd 25-ii / hifi 580 :) thanx for reply :)

I would pick the HD25-1-ii.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #6,801 of 29,490

Quote:
is there any argument for ? or only on personal taste ? :) THX :)

That's more personal taste... but I'll give my brief impression of your options:
DT770pro - lots of thump, mids feel recessed
HFi580 - bass rumble, the S-Logic thing for soundstage 
HD25 - more "punch" rather than "thump", relatively balanced sound, better all-rounder and would be my choice with rock in the mix, but if you just want lots of bass for dubstep then the other two could be better 

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #6,803 of 29,490
Hey guys,
I have been doing a lot of research on this site but I cant seem to get enough info to pull the trigger. Anyways, As far as background, I'm mostly into jazz but I enjoy hip-hop and rock as well. I'm looking for some un-amped phones that are open and are under around $250. So far, I have looked into Sennheiser HD555(not sure if they work with no amp) or Grado SR225i. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great appreciated, thank you very much.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #6,804 of 29,490
Both are good choices and work fine without amping. The HD555 is more mellow sounding through the mids, while the SR225i has a bit more treble bite to it. Neither is particularly bass heavy, though the 555 moreso comparatively.

If you can still find the HD555 for sale, removing the foam patch inside the cup effectively mods you up to the 595. You can do a similar thing with the 558 though reportedly it's not quite the same as a 598. Grados are also easy to mod, though if you do so you may want to start with the SR60 and play around from there. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #6,805 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,
I have been doing a lot of research on this site but I cant seem to get enough info to pull the trigger. Anyways, As far as background, I'm mostly into jazz but I enjoy hip-hop and rock as well. I'm looking for some un-amped phones that are open and are under around $250. So far, I have looked into Sennheiser HD555(not sure if they work with no amp) or Grado SR225i. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great appreciated, thank you very much.

Hey I'm in almost the same situation as you, except I already pulled the trigger. lol. I purchased the Alessandro MS2i Headphones by Grado. I found a licensed reseller of Grado on eBay and contacted them through their site. They told me they could lower the price if I did it outside of eBay so they didn't have to pay the charges ect. He e-mailed me the PayPal invoice after I called the company and talked on the phone with him for a bit. He charged me $270 shipped for brand new MS2i's with the 2 year warranty. I hope I made the right decision.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #6,806 of 29,490
Wow that's a great deal in my opinion. I also bought a pair that were used for 20 hours, should be here any day now.

Quote:
Hey I'm in almost the same situation as you, except I already pulled the trigger. lol. I purchased the Alessandro MS2i Headphones by Grado. I found a licensed reseller of Grado on eBay and contacted them through their site. They told me they could lower the price if I did it outside of eBay so they didn't have to pay the charges ect. He e-mailed me the PayPal invoice after I called the company and talked on the phone with him for a bit. He charged me $270 shipped for brand new MS2i's with the 2 year warranty. I hope I made the right decision.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 31, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #6,807 of 29,490
New user here looking for some advice :)

Music genres: 50% Electronic (Particular artists I listen to: Lights, Armin van Buuren, Jochen Miller, Cosmic Gate, Infected Mushroom), 50% Metal (The Black Dahlia Murder, Devin Townsend, Dream Theatre, Nevermore, Soilwork)
Portable: Considering that I'm a student and on the move often, portability would be a plus.
Price range: Max $150
Amped: Only something portable, e.g Fiio E5.
Closed/Open: Probably closed yeah, I like me some good bass, but if there are any open headphones with good bass then hit me up.
Headphone preference: Anything that gives me solid bass (nothing overpowering or too punchy), nice headroom, something that doesn't require an amp but can be improved by using one. Oh and if possible, preferably something that doesn't come with a 10ft cable, I already have a 6ft extension cable I can use. No coiled cables please (they're quite heavy in my experience).

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #6,809 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm convinced the HD 598 is the best headphone ever so I'd recommend that around 250. Got mine here used for 170.

Quote:
is there any argument for ? or only on personal taste ? :) THX :)

I agree on the HD 25-1 II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back