++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #6,751 of 29,490
Hello gentlemen. I am completely new to the audio world so it's safe to assume I know nothing of what I am intending to be buying soon and would like some help in comparing a few headphones I've found, and any recommendations (I don't know what any of the specs mean and maybe someone can explain what I should be looking for).

I am planning on buying a 32GB Cowon J3 portable media player soon, I will be playing mostly flacs with it. After which I will not have much money to spend on headphones. I am looking for something in the $40-$80 range that will last me at least 6 months until I can (possibly) save up for something better.

My first question: I've heard the Cowon J3 is on the higher quality spectrum of audio players so would I be wasting my money on buying it if I can only afford cheap headphones (if I'm not able to upgrade them later?) and don't plan on using it's other features such as Flash/Videos?

Now to the headphones, I do want a pair that covers my ears, if that's the right wording I'm not sure.

From an above post the Superlux HD668B sounds like it would fit in my price range at $60: http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Semi-Open-Professional-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8

Linked from the above site is a Sennheiser HD202 at $30: How does this compare to the Superlux HD668B? http://www.allprosound.com/catalog/productdetails~fprodid~1977~item~Sennheiser-HD202~zmam~50152654~zmas~1~zmac~2~zmap~HD202.htm

From searching Google I've found: Grado SR60i for $80: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/607704-REG/Grado_SR_60I_SR60i_Dynamic_Open_Air_Stereo.html

What are the differences between these 3 headphones besides their price? 

What is the difference between amped and unamped? Pros and cons? Why should I choose one over the other?

What specs are most important on the package or website that I should be looking for? Of what importance is decibel driver matching?

What does impedance in ohms mean (which is better, high or low ohms?) And how many would my Cowon J3 support?

What does SPL mean? and the importance of 1mw? does that stand for megawatt? are there other amounts?

And lastly which would you recommend, if not any of these 3 please introduce me to what you think is better.

I'll wait to give my thanks for after I get helped. Please.

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #6,752 of 29,490
Not a headphone question, but I'll, give it a try.

I'm looking for a upgrade for my onboard sound card, i thought about getting a Music Streamer II as a DAC, but users here told me that i would have to buy a dedicated amp as well, so i'm going for the low budget road.

I'm thinking about these Sound Blaster X-fi series, or maybe a entry level Asus Xonar.

Do you guys think I'm gonna hear a huge difference? or is better to save a little bit and go for the DAC/amp combo? 

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #6,753 of 29,490

Quote:
My faithful pair of Denon AHD1001K's that I loved died on me a few days ago and I've been looking for something to replace them. I'm looking to spend around $100-$125 at the most but less is always great. I listen to mostly metal and play games a good deal (but don't want a "gaming" pair of headphones per se). The only real caveat I have is that they must be closed. Recommendations? 

Denon AH-D1100
refurbished Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #6,754 of 29,490
Im looking for a portable headphone (travel, school) that has a good soundstage and is crisp and clear. And I'd like the bass to be "punchy" with no oomph. Preferably over-ear but on-ear is fine as well as long as SQ is really good. Ive heard good things about HD 25-1 II... any opinions?

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #6,756 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello gentlemen. I am completely new to the audio world so it's safe to assume I know nothing of what I am intending to be buying soon and would like some help in comparing a few headphones I've found, and any recommendations (I don't know what any of the specs mean and maybe someone can explain what I should be looking for).

I am planning on buying a 32GB Cowon J3 portable media player soon, I will be playing mostly flacs with it. After which I will not have much money to spend on headphones...

Believe me when I say low-budget's best option is Superlux 668b. Senn HD202 are really low budget (the lowest indeed) from Senn, and while I haven't tried them, I do have Sennheiser RS180 and Sennheiser IE8, which cost ten times as much as the HD202 and having them better burnt-in than my 668b, they can't get the deep level of detail this Superlux have. HD202 can't compite with Superlux...

About the Cowon J3, it's a really good player and I'd say it's a perfect match for the Superlux's. Cowon's players are known for their audio capabilites, not really that much for their interface or photo/video playback, so just buy them if you want one of the best portable audio players out there. I bet you would really enjoy the duo 668b + Cowon J3, and maybe in the future if you want better/ different headphones (as it's a matter of taste too, some people do prefer ooomph bass, some as me prefer the so-called analityc headphones), you don't have to spend money again in an audio source. It's always better to have a really good, powerful audio source, and then, start buying as much headphones as your ears require (and wallet permits).

BTW, don't forget to get the AKG velour pads (the ones for AKG K240/241). They are a must. The stock fake-leather pads from Superlux are awful, they make you sweat a lot and don't even fit well. Plus, it boosts audio quality (clearer sound, apart from not loosing sound).

I've read good things about Superlux HD330 too, and there's the 661 coming in the next few months (which I'll buy, you can bet on that, the experience with Superlux has been superb, and for the price, it doesn't hurt that much to buy them), so if you're not planning on buying it now, you know what to look for too.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #6,757 of 29,490
Hi 

So I just rolled into the headphones scene and must admit I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've been trying to read just about anything on AKG  K 2** series  but the more I read the bigger the problem of deciding.

So here's the current set up

M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 24/96 SOUND CARD

connected  to my Soundcraft EPM 6 mixer

the cans  I'm currently looking at..

K 240 monitor

K 240 studio
(old and new versioin)

K 271 mk II

K 241

K 240 Mk II

budget +- 100 $

things I'm looking for in order of importance

1 Comfort

2 SQ

3 Price

music I listen to ? Everything from jazz and acid jazz to chill out ,electro house , club , classic rock , shoe gaze , ....
I don't think I really need bass heavy phones (I hope 3band EQ will at least have some effect) .

I guess I'm torn between vintage sound (for rock and jazz in a lesser extent) and modern (for the beats)

So if their are any good allrounders out there ...

To give you an idea of what I'm used to .....

best "cans"' ever owned -->  low budget Sennheiser

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #6,758 of 29,490

Courses just ended and I have a quick reply already! Thanks Ray, I think I am going to go with the Superlux like you suggest, but I am a little confused about what velour pads are:
Quote:
BTW, don't forget to get the AKG velour pads (the ones for AKG K240/241). They are a must. The stock fake-leather pads from Superlux are awful, they make you sweat a lot and don't even fit well. Plus, it boosts audio quality (clearer sound, apart from not loosing sound).

From this website I have found AKG 2058Z10010 which claim to be ear pads for the K240S/K241/K270S models and are $11.76 each and I assume I need 2 of them ($23.52 total). Are these the Velour pads that you spoke of and if so do I also need the foam pads which are $2.99 to keep from losing sound (do these foam pads offer protection or are they just for aesthetics/comfortability?) This would increase the cost of the Superlux's price from $52.50 to $82. An increase of 56.2% of the original price. Is there a cheaper place that I have overlooked that sells these earpads? I've heard the Superlux has gone for as low as $40 but I haven't been able to find out where. Does anyone have any home-made solutions for making the awful Superlux pads better that won't bring down the quality of the sound? http://www.fullcompass.com/product/230308.html

I did find this post elsewhere on these forums, but unfortunately he wasn't specific on the price. $29.50 would still be cheaper then $30 though, without the hassle of having to go through service relations with a really kind guy.

Quote:

Contact Frank Rodriguez from Spare Parts.

frodrigu@harman.com
Phone: +1 818 920-3279

Really kind guy - insightful and helpful! I just ordered a pair of velour pads, I think it was $30 or so.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #6,759 of 29,490

Quote:
Not a headphone question, but I'll, give it a try.

I'm looking for a upgrade for my onboard sound card, i thought about getting a Music Streamer II as a DAC, but users here told me that i would have to buy a dedicated amp as well, so i'm going for the low budget road.

I'm thinking about these Sound Blaster X-fi series, or maybe a entry level Asus Xonar.

Do you guys think I'm gonna hear a huge difference? or is better to save a little bit and go for the DAC/amp combo? 

I know the Xonar STX has a strong amp in it, but it's on the pricier side. I think some of their lower end ones have a decent amp in there... but you might have better luck asking on the computer subforums.

Quote:
Im looking for a portable headphone (travel, school) that has a good soundstage and is crisp and clear. And I'd like the bass to be "punchy" with no oomph. Preferably over-ear but on-ear is fine as well as long as SQ is really good. Ive heard good things about HD 25-1 II... any opinions?

Senn HD380 or HD25-1-ii are the first ones that came to mind. The HD380 is a little richer in sound and comfier, while the HD25 is more rugged and portable with better isolation.

Quote:
Hi 

So I just rolled into the headphones scene and must admit I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've been trying to read just about anything on AKG  K 2** series  but the more I read the bigger the problem of deciding.

So here's the current set up

M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 24/96 SOUND CARD

connected  to my Soundcraft EPM 6 mixer

the cans  I'm currently looking at..

K 240 monitor

K 240 studio
(old and new versioin)

K 271 mk II

K 241

K 240 Mk II

budget +- 100 $

things I'm looking for in order of importance

1 Comfort

2 SQ

3 Price

music I listen to ? Everything from jazz and acid jazz to chill out ,electro house , club , classic rock , shoe gaze , ....
I don't think I really need bass heavy phones (I hope 3band EQ will at least have some effect) .

I guess I'm torn between vintage sound (for rock and jazz in a lesser extent) and modern (for the beats)

So if their are any good allrounders out there ...

To give you an idea of what I'm used to .....

best "cans"' ever owned -->  low budget Sennheiser

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Try and get your hands on a vintage AKG K240 Sextett.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #6,760 of 29,490

Quote:
Courses just ended and I have a quick reply already! Thanks Ray, I think I am going to go with the Superlux like you suggest, but I am a little confused about what velour pads are:
From this website I have found AKG 2058Z10010 which claim to be ear pads for the K240S/K241/K270S models and are $11.76 each and I assume I need 2 of them ($23.52 total). Are these the Velour pads that you spoke of and if so do I also need the foam pads which are $2.99 to keep from losing sound (do these foam pads offer protection or are they just for aesthetics/comfortability?) This would increase the cost of the Superlux's price from $52.50 to $82. An increase of 56.2% of the original price. Is there a cheaper place that I have overlooked that sells these earpads? I've heard the Superlux has gone for as low as $40 but I haven't been able to find out where. Does anyone have any home-made solutions for making the awful Superlux pads better that won't bring down the quality of the sound? http://www.fullcompass.com/product/230308.html
I did find this post elsewhere on these forums, but unfortunately he wasn't specific on the price. $29.50 would still be cheaper then $30 though, without the hassle of having to go through service relations with a really kind guy.

I the pads you have listed are not Velour, just regular replacement pads, the Velour pads usually sell for $35 plus shipping (from Europe)
The stock pads on the HD-668Bs are nothing fancy, but for the price headphones, they seem to do a decent job (I'm wearing the HD-668Bs right now)
About the best price (including shipping) you can usually get for the HD-668Bs is around $53.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #6,761 of 29,490

Quote:
I have for many years had headphones for under $50 in different versions (in ear, on ear, over ear) and have never been really happy with what I've received. Now I have given me hell trying to find the perfect headphones for me and has also saved money to buy me some new and decent headphones. 

I want advice from you that can sound to someone who may not know so much about it, but I know what I want: 

Not wireless 
Closed (over ear) 
Preferably not battery powered, but can of course be considered 
Wide frequency range 
Well soundproofed, I do not want to hear people around me 
As little noise as possible 
Clean sound 
If I listen to flac-files the headphones should manage to play the sounds correctly (maybe the same as the frequency response?) 

I'm very much for the bass and less for the treble. I would like to see that there is a big push in the headphones. 
eg I would like to listen to this song (see below) and still have a strong base to balance well with the treble of the song. 
(On spotify) http://open.spotify.com/track/6HZgdHIHUUr80EX7PTqxxA 
(On youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhRmiQRXkg 

The Headphones will be used primarily for listening to music in FLAC format (sometimes even 320kbps mp3 files if you can not get over FLAC or CDs) and also in games such as Counter-Strike and other games where the hearing is very important in game. 

The headphones do not need to be aesthetically pleasing, the only important thing is the quality of the sound. 

If there is anything you wonder about my criteria, feel free to ask. 
I can not all concepts in the audio world and I'm not familiar with it at all, so I may have written many weird things without knowing about it. 

My price range: $300 - $400.

Regards from Sweden.

someone?

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #6,762 of 29,490

Quote:

These are all bass heavy, full sized, with very good isolation:
Beyerdynamic DT770
Sennheiser HD380
Shure 840
Pioneer HDJ-2000

and with any money left over I would consider getting a small portable amp

edit: whoops I ddn't notice your need for gaming... in general, bass and gaming do not mix. Bass is generally non-directional, and accentuated low frequencies in a closed headphones have a lot of reverb/slow decay which obscures your ability to hear the upper frequencies which are crucial for accurate positioning. If you're serious about gaming, strongly consider splitting your budget for two headphones.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #6,765 of 29,490
Hey guys, was just about to start a new thread and then saw this!

Anyway, I am looking to buy a pair of 'phones again, having had some PC 350's that met an untimely end a couple of months ago.

While the mic was useful, I would rather spend the money on sound quality (I have heard you can get better 'phones for the money, since the mic inflates the cost quite a lot), in particular any 'phones that have great positional audio. I have a Xonar D2X to drive it, so fully intend to abuse some Dolby Headphone in BF3
grin.gif
I can grab a desktop mic for reasonably cheap (any gamers here that can comment on that would also be very helpful), so I would prefer the decent cans so that everything benefits (music, movies etc), whereas a more convenient mic only really benefits gaming.

I have read good things about the 555s, AD700s etc, and the 595s are also within my price range, so I am just wondering on what you  guys might suggest? I am planning on getting a BSG amp to use with it. I hear they are great little things, and I don't want to spend tons on an amp.

I can go up to about £150 tops on the phones alone, and like I mentioned, I prioritise sound quality and positional audio (so I would imagine that is soundstage then?) above all else. Bass is nice if included, but not at the expense of the previous. I'm sure it will be better than my crappy 2.1 setup now anyway; so long as there is bass at all, I will be happy. I'm looking for value as well, so if (say) the 595s are great value, and there is nothing much better, but still costing significantly more, I will likely stick with the 595s.

Any advice you can give, even if just dropping some names for me to research, would be a massive help to me. Sorry about the essay, but I figured the more info I give, the better advice I can receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back