++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 26, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #6,676 of 29,490
I'm looking into closed, portable headphones (new or used) that are no more than $60 and can be easily driven from an iPhone. I prefer one with a decent bass response, but also have enough clarity that won't block out music frequencies. I've been reading a few reviews and came up with this short list. I was going to include the PX 100-ii even though they are open, but a few people claimed they leak way too much. 

AKG K 518 LE
Beyerdynamic DT235
Sennheiser PX 200-ii  (not sure if I could find them for $60 though)

Any suggestions or recommendations would be beneficial to my search. Thank you for the help. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #6,677 of 29,490
Hello everyone. I currently have a total bithead as portable and desktop dac amp, and a HD 25-1 II and a MS1. I'm pretty happy with all of them, but I'm planning to upgrade a little. I wany to buy a HD650 and a desktop dac+amp to power it. I'll be using it mostly for plac files from my computer.  I've been searching and have three initial options:

yulong d100
headroom mirco dac + micro amp
Centrance DACmini CX (a litle over my budget)
NuForce HD

I'm plannig to spend about 1000 in the whole rig, can anyone help me with some advice?

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #6,678 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone. I currently have a total bithead as portable and desktop dac amp, and a HD 25-1 II and a MS1. I'm pretty happy with all of them, but I'm planning to upgrade a little. I wany to buy a HD650 and a desktop dac+amp to power it. I'll be using it mostly for plac files from my computer.  I've been searching and have three initial options:

yulong d100
headroom mirco dac + micro amp
Centrance DACmini CX (a litle over my budget)
NuForce HD

I'm plannig to spend about 1000 in the whole rig, can anyone help me with some advice?

Do you like the Bithead and how it sounds? If so, I'd suggest what I did and upgrade to the Micro Amp. I had the Headroom Total Airhead and always liked it. As you know, the Micro Amp is a full sized amp (in terms of power) but is very tiny. About half the size of the E9 but built like a tank. I bought it since it played well with both my K702 AND HD-650. I actually preferred my HD-650 and K702 out of it more than the E9 and Schiit Asgard. It seems to have perfectly synergy with the K702 and HD-650. My Asgard didn't really like the K702, but supposedly Shiit made the AKG stuff sound better out of the Asgard, but who knows. I'm not a fan of the HD-650 out of the Asgard at all, but I loved it with the D2000 and HD-600!

I haven't tried the Micro DAC, but you can get it in a package deal called the "Micro Stack". They even sell it in a package deal with the HD-800! The Micro amp even drives my K501 very well which is fairly hard to drive.

It's kind of pricey at $350, but I did the 30 day trial and kept it. Totally worth the money. This was my upgrade from the Asgard and E9!

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #6,679 of 29,490

Quote:
I understand. IS there an headphone in that range that is to be considered 'right in the middle' when it comes to Casual vs mixing/producing.

I guess the choise I have now is the V6 or the HD280. I'll take a listen to both! Thanks

For the sake of useability, my vote is to go with a flat response headphone and use bass boost for casual listening. The Senn HD380 is also a good option, though I'm not sure if that pushes beyond your budget. The Fostex T20/40/50 line are also a possibility, though need amping and perhaps a bit of simple modding.

Quote:
The better half recently decorated the living room and decided my KEF speakers were no longer a part of her colour scheme, so they have retired to the spare room to await another day, and I bought a pair of monitor audio speakers, which are ok, but nowhere near as good as my old speakers.  As a compromise, I'm going to buy a pair of headphones and as I've never really had 'proper' headphones before was looking for some advice.

My set up is NAD C350 amp and NAD CD player, which are both great.  I would be interested in wireless headphones, but only if I could listen in other rooms.  My other half would be watching TV whilst I would be listening, so I would need them to not leak too much to distract her, not sure if that would mean going for closed or not.  If my budget would only let me go with the 'line of sight' style wireless headphones, then I would prefer wired ones for the improved sound quality.  My budget is around £100 could maybe stretch a bit higher.  I mainly listen to folk, classical, rock etc.

Thanks,

Dom

Wireless will start pushing above your budget... perhaps consider splitting the budget a little and getting a small portable player (or even cd player) to use?

Quote:
I'm looking into closed, portable headphones (new or used) that are no more than $60 and can be easily driven from an iPhone. I prefer one with a decent bass response, but also have enough clarity that won't block out music frequencies. I've been reading a few reviews and came up with this short list. I was going to include the PX 100-ii even though they are open, but a few people claimed they leak way too much. 

AKG K 518 LE
Beyerdynamic DT235
Sennheiser PX 200-ii  (not sure if I could find them for $60 though)

Any suggestions or recommendations would be beneficial to my search. Thank you for the help. 

I like the PX200-ii, and they are currently $70 on Amazon. I'm not sure if I've seen them go for much cheaper new, though I'm pretty sure I've seen them go under $60 for used/refurb.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #6,681 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm totally new to the forum. I just wanted some advice on buying a new pair of headphones. I am considering closed cans to not disturb other people around. Some of them are
Denon AHD2000
Ultrasone Pro 900
Shure SRH940
Sennheiser 25 Adidas
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A
I have  a budget of around $500 so I would get one of the headphones mentioned above and possibly a NuForce Icon uDac 2 as the amp/dac.
I like to listen to pop, rock, electronic, dubstep, classical and jazz.
Can you guys recommend the phones above or others that might suit my musical taste.

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #6,682 of 29,490

Quote:
AMB Gamma 2 + Schiit Lyr + K702

Good combo? (And since I'm poor and stuff, would Asgard still be able to drive the K702?)

Yes, the Asgard should be enough, though I've also heard good things about the FiiO e9. If budget is a concern, the K240 is acceptable (and I prefer it to the K701 personally and overall find it just behaves better than the K701).

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm totally new to the forum. I just wanted some advice on buying a new pair of headphones. I am considering closed cans to not disturb other people around. Some of them are
Denon AHD2000
Ultrasone Pro 900
Shure SRH940
Sennheiser 25 Adidas
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A
I have  a budget of around $500 so I would get one of the headphones mentioned above and possibly a NuForce Icon uDac 2 as the amp/dac.
I like to listen to pop, rock, electronic, dubstep, classical and jazz.
Can you guys recommend the phones above or others that might suit my musical taste.

In terms of all-rounder performance, I would pick the D2000, HD25 or ESW9a. If strictly for home use, the Denon. If out an about, the HD25 if ruggedness is a concern, or the ESW9a if not. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #6,683 of 29,490

Quote:
AMB Gamma 2 + Schiit Lyr + K702

Good combo? (And since I'm poor and stuff, would Asgard still be able to drive the K702?)

Hated the K702 with the Asgard and others have reported it's a bad combination as well (BournePerfect I believe). Supposedly Schiit improvement the Asgard for the K702, but I doubt it. I actually felt the E9 was better with the K702, but I now use the Micro Amp.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #6,684 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you're willing to buy used, we have a sale forum here. Shipping costs will not be favourable though...

I'll look at the sale forum. I don't think that shipping in itself will be a problem, but surely the importation taxes would.
 Well, anyways, it don't hurt looking, does it?

Thanks again for the help

@ Brooko

Already recorded ^^
   It's going to be good for future reference
   Thanks a lot .

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #6,686 of 29,490

Quote:

Hated the K702 with the Asgard and others have reported it's a bad combination as well (BournePerfect I believe). Supposedly Schiit improvement the Asgard for the K702, but I doubt it. I actually felt the E9 was better with the K702, but I now use the Micro Amp.

Thanks for the warning. What are some other good options?

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #6,687 of 29,490

Quote:
 I'll look at the sale forum. I don't think that shipping in itself will be a problem, but surely the importation taxes would.

If buying off the forum, simply ask the seller to mark the item as used and declare it at a lower value (this also means it will not be insured, so that's the risk you take).

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #6,688 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
DrPips said:

The better half recently decorated the living room and decided my KEF speakers were no longer a part of her colour scheme, so they have retired to the spare room to await another day, and I bought a pair of monitor audio speakers, which are ok, but nowhere near as good as my old speakers.  As a compromise, I'm going to buy a pair of headphones and as I've never really had 'proper' headphones before was looking for some advice.

My set up is NAD C350 amp and NAD CD player, which are both great.  I would be interested in wireless headphones, but only if I could listen in other rooms.  My other half would be watching TV whilst I would be listening, so I would need them to not leak too much to distract her, not sure if that would mean going for closed or not.  If my budget would only let me go with the 'line of sight' style wireless headphones, then I would prefer wired ones for the improved sound quality.  My budget is around £100 could maybe stretch a bit higher.  I mainly listen to folk, classical, rock etc.

Thanks,

Dom

Wireless will start pushing above your budget... perhaps consider splitting the budget a little and getting a small portable player (or even cd player) to use?

How about if I could stretch to £150 - £200?

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #6,689 of 29,490
I need advice, I have DT990/600, Ultrasone Pro 900, Grado Sr80i's all running off of my Xonar Xense which has an amp built in to it that can handle output power up to 600ohm, it has the same amp as a Xonar STX. Should I get an amp? What would I gain? I don't want to spend more than the price of the Fiio E9, actually that's pretty much the amp I'm looking into, what do yall think?

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #6,690 of 29,490

Quote:
I need advice, I have DT990/600, Ultrasone Pro 900, Grado Sr80i's all running off of my Xonar Xense which has an amp built in to it that can handle output power up to 600ohm, it has the same amp as a Xonar STX. Should I get an amp? What would I gain? I don't want to spend more than the price of the Fiio E9, actually that's pretty much the amp I'm looking into, what do yall think?

Personally, I would stick with the Xonar amp.
For improvement in sound, I would spend $150 for a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back