++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 23, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #6,556 of 29,490
Nothing personal,

Quote:
:xf_mad: slare
i don't think the shure wil do a great job with electronic music , hiphop ... :s
for what i have read the denon will be your best bet i think ...
! maybe ultrasone pro 900

I just thought that you should let someone who has owned or extensively tried the D2000s, Ultrasones or whatever it is that he needs comment on his headphones before commenting on them yourself. The D2000s and Pro 900s aren't really cheap.. if he buys something and ends up not liking it, fault's on you.

lol.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #6,557 of 29,490

Quote:
Nothing personal,

I just thought that you should let someone who has owned or extensively tried the D2000s, Ultrasones or whatever it is that he needs comment on his headphones before commenting on them yourself. The D2000s and Pro 900s aren't really cheap.. if he buys something and ends up not liking it, fault's on you.

lol.

koolkat i understand your opinion but so as you can see he is going yo try them out saterday :)
so i'm saying he must buy ... or ... i only suggest what can be good headphones for him :wink:
so sorry :wink:
and i understand your opinion :wink: :)

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #6,559 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for an all round headphone for gaming and music(rock, instrumentals, classical, hip hip, some rap, country, basically a bit of everything).  Should have good aesthetics and portable enough to move around.  I'm kind of a beginner so I don't think I will be getting an amp unless i can get a cheap one and they make the sound quality a lot better.  I'm still deciding if they should be open or closed since I haven't fully grasped the concept of soundstage yet.  Budget is around $100 - $150ish.  Thanks in advance!

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #6,560 of 29,490
So guys, i got my first pair of cans, a pair of SR60i, and i'm wondering whats my next step should be. A DAC or a Amp? 

I listen to music mainly in my pc, as i got a 8gb ipod and i can really carry around that much music.

I don't have many options here where i live, and i can't buy from other countries, i don't have a credit card.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #6,561 of 29,490
@Armaegis Thanks man! 
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #6,562 of 29,490
hi there, am deciding between the ultrasone dj1's and the hfi-580's, how much difference is there, and would I need a portable amp for either as I would only be driving it from my ipod classic. Also are they as uncomfortable as everyone says ?

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #6,563 of 29,490
 Looking at the beyer Dynamics DT 990 pro and Senn HD 598's
 Listen to all types of music except rap and new country.music.

Like RR but lean more towards Accostic instruments, so I would lean for a headphone that that does better in this area.

It is over 100 miles to the nearest audio store that I could audition them at,.so that is a problem.

I currently use Senn 280 pros, listen to cans only on my PC.  Have a Nuforce Icon Udac 2 hooked up.

Was wondering about the soundstage of the DT 990 as compared to 598's.

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #6,564 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well you didn't give us any music preferences... so I'm just going to go with a random suggestion of: Pioneer HDJ-500 

Well, I prefer pretty much everything. But if I have to say something, I'll say dubstep, metal, rock etc.. And I actually play FPS games too on PS3.. But I have some headphones for that already.. So some all-around headphones might be great! 

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #6,565 of 29,490
Since I seem to have been lost in the shuffle...

I have a $300-ish budget and am looking for a headphone with little to no harshness in the treble, very good speed, and neutral sound. Bass should be tight and present but not forward or obtrusive. I'm currently looking at the Beyer DT880, Sony MDR-SA5000, and AKG K701/702.  Are there any options I've missed, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #6,566 of 29,490

Quote:
The DT880 is quite comfortable and soundwise I consider it more balanced than the 770 and 990 which are both U shaped (with the 770 leaning towards bass, and the 990 with a shrill high end). I do not find the 880's bright at all. I also find that Beyers sound better out of tube amps, and I suspect that OTL tube amps work better because they have higher output impedance and the high end Beyers actually don't like too much damping. (that's just me theorizing though).

The K701 is good, not as comfortable as the 880 but nothing bad either. Soundwise it has a very strong midhigh end, though doesn't get shrill, but it might be considered a bit dry sounding. The sound is very clean and "sparkly", but doesn't have much body to it, likely due to the fast decay times and lesser bass.

The PS500 has a stronger bass and high end with slightly recessed mids, though comfort wise I consider it better than the Beyer and AKGs. Soundstage is quite wide for a closed headphone, though not much depth.

B&W P5 is just a all-round performer with no big emphasis on any part of the spectrum. Very comfortable and excellent isolation, but also a supraaural.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the recs and info, Armaegis.  After reading up a bit on the Phiaton, I wound up scoring a pair of D2000's for under $200.  General consensus seems to be that the Phiaton's are pretty similar, but more congested sounding, so I figured it was worth taking a chance on them for such a nicely reduced price.  I'll probably want to add an amp at some point, but compared to most of the others I was looking at, they should be pretty easy to drive unamped.

If anyone else reading here is also considering the D2000's, check J&R Electronics.  They cut me a deal for $199, which I'd seen quite a few people mention over in the deals thread, and should have a shipment coming in soon.  Dunno if it's required, but couldn't hurt to mention that you'd seen it discussed on Head-Fi.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #6,567 of 29,490

Quote:
ZombieX wrote a really good guide for that here.  To some extent, it really depends on what you are using to amp them.  If you have an amp that's designed to drive headphones around 250 ohms, the 250ohm one will probably sound better than the 600ohm one.  If you have an amp that can comfortable feed the high impedance version, that will have the best results.  There are a few solid state amps that are designed specifically to feed tons of power into a low-impedance load, and I bet the 32 ohm ones really sing on those systems.  I would say the difference is mild, but distinct.  With the Fiio E9, they claim it can drive the 600ohm ones, but 80mW isn't a lot at that kind of load.

I would say start by reading the linked thread, then weigh the expected difference against the cost difference.  All three do require some solid amplification for good sound, but all should also be excellent headphones that you will enjoy.

Ok, so I've now finally got a pair of Beyerdynamics DT880 600ohm and a Fiio E9, but when I plug it into my PC (out from my soundcard to the line in on the Fiio) and plug the DT880 into the 6.35mm jack something a little odd happens. When comparing the sound to my Sennheiser PC360, I must admit that I was expecting a bigger difference. Sure, there IS a difference, but it's not big to be honest. 

Am I doing anything wrong? Have I, with this setup, reached the limit of what kind of audio quality my PC can output?

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #6,568 of 29,490
Well, i'm so confused. Everyone offers me exact model which aren't in any local store. More variants of headphones like ath-m50/shure 440/ultrasone hfi-580. You guys are really awesome, helping random ppl over internet :D

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #6,569 of 29,490
Second time around, decided not to get a closed portable last time I asked for advice (due to lack of options in my price range).

So I've decided to just get a closed full-size.
My tastes in music are mostly punk, but I have a soft spot for bass.
Mids are a must, lows are definitely more important than highs for me.

In order of importance, I'd rank:

1. Comfort
2. Sound quality
3. Price
4. Durability
5. Looks

I've looked into the ATH-M50 and Shure 840, but I'd like something $150 or under. Suggestions?

Please and thank you. :)

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #6,570 of 29,490

Hi, I've been lurking these forums for a bit now, and I think I've made a decision on which headphones to buy, I just have a few questions about it. I mainly listen to alt-rock, but I also listen to techno and will be gaming with these headphones. I want to spend less than $100, for using both on the go from my Zune, and from my laptop. I won't be buying an amp just yet. And I want closed back, more to keep my music in, than to keep outside noise out. 

Anyway, I think I want a Shure srh440. The problem is that people say it has recessed bass. I listen right now with my cheap JVC marshmallows, which people say has fairly good base for it's size and price. Will there be less bass in the shures? Because that would probably be too little for me. Also, how common are fakes? I know Amazon is an authorized retailer for shure, but does that mean I can trust their third party merchants? The deal's gone, but they were selling for $60-something for a bit, which is considerably lower than I've seen elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back