++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 18, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #6,376 of 29,490

Quote:
Any Ultrasone that isn't overly bassy might suit you (so basically not the HFI580 or Pro750/900) as they have strong bass and the S-Logic gives a fairly wide sense of soundstage. Some find their sound a bit cooler though, so you really have to try them out to decide.

If you can find a used Denon D2000, I think the sound will suit you as well. It has excellent bass that does bleed a little bit into the mids but not too badly. 

I can also recommend the Shure 840 (not sure if they're still on sale through Amazon) which has a strong bass but is more sloped in response rather than V shaped like other DJ cans. 

[Edit: Posting alongside Mahalo's requirements] Which of those would perform best? I know its a bit of an opinionated question but just make a statement based on general consensus.

How's $200 for a used D2000?

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #6,377 of 29,490
The M50 is worth another shot; just make sure you buy from an authorized seller (and if the price is too good to be true, it probably is). The Shure 840 are also on sale for $130 through Amazon right now and give the M50 a definite run for their money. 

I'm personally a fan of the Phiatons and would happily recommend the MS300 or MS400. The latter if you want a bassier sound, the former if you want something with a bit more edge.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #6,379 of 29,490

Quote:
Good day, Head Fi. Been lurking around here but never bothered to make a post, or even an account. x) But now I'm in the market for an upgrade from my XB700.

Budget, $250. Want a closed headphone that performs great for Hip Hop, great mids and bass, a decent soundstage and separation, and a warm sound overall. Portability is not an issue, and I'd prefer around the ear cans.

I's like to hear a more full, detailed sound than my XB700s mostly. And a more subtle, but still impactful bass.

Personally I think everything sound better then the Sony XB line.
I would help if we knew what will be powering your headphones, mp3 player? Ipod? stereo receiver? headphone amplifier? Computer sound card?
Currently my best sounding headphone is the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm, but it needs a headphone amp. or good stereo receiver to power it.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #6,380 of 29,490
Aug 19, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #6,381 of 29,490

Quote:

Personally I think everything sound better then the Sony XB line.
I would help if we knew what will be powering your headphones, mp3 player? Ipod? stereo receiver? headphone amplifier? Computer sound card?
Currently my best sounding headphone is the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm, but it needs a headphone amp. or good stereo receiver to power it.

Forgot to mention I need a DAC as well to go with the new phones, and that should be included in the $250. Any recommendations? 

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #6,382 of 29,490

Quote:

Forgot to mention I need a DAC as well to go with the new phones, and that should be included in the $250. Any recommendations? 

you could build a grubdac kit for about 50$ if your into diy

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #6,384 of 29,490
Aug 19, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #6,385 of 29,490

Quote:
I was originally going to order my HD-668s from them a while back, but if i remember right, their shipping prices are high.
So Audiohipster got my business.

It seems that they offer free shipping on products $49 and more... and it seems like these headphones are under that category. 
So maybe this might be my lucky break, but in terms of legitimacy, can I trust this company?

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #6,387 of 29,490

Quote:
Ehh, I don't have the tools for that i dont' think. Or any experience.

would be a tough first project. in that case you could get a nuforce udac2 if you also need an amp

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #6,389 of 29,490
Hello there Head-fi.org
I'd love to get some recommendations on the following situation:

As a beatmaker/producer in both hiphop and dance genres I'm looking for a headphone. The headphones will only be used at home, so nothing portable is required. Preferably it is good (enough) for mixing-purposing as well.

My budget is around 120 us dollars, and one that works without amp is preferred.

Anyone who can help me out here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back