++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 17, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #6,301 of 29,490

Quote:

LOL!!! I say it doesn't have an amp because i can physically look at the card and see that there is no amp. The DX is a home theater card designed for 7.1, and home theater systems have their own form of amplification. There is no conspiracy, asus is not trying to "scam" you, please do some reading before you start helping others. I have seen you recommending the superlux 668b to almost everyone you meet no matter their needs or budget, people are gonna come back upset and for good reason.

I've been looking over the Xonar DX, do you think some of the op-amps is doing double duty, for both headphones and speakers?
Why would they be upset, I'm trying to save them some money, if a $55 dollar headphone can do a decent job, why spend $200
I believe I all ways had nice things to say about the more expensive headphones, If they do not like my advice, they do not have to listen to it.
Have you even tried the Superlux HD-668B?

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #6,302 of 29,490
Greetings all - I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now and feel more overwhelmed than when I started.  Heh, so..  this is my first post asking for some advice.  

I am looking to purchase my first pair of high end headphones. I've been listening to a relatively cheap pair of noise-canceling headphones but they get pretty uncomfortable after a few hours and I'm over the electronic noise-canceling feature.  I would much rather get a closed set with a more full sound.  Parameters:

- Comfort is probably my number one priority, I'd like to be able to wear them for 6 to 8 hours a day without pain - primary usage is in the office, portability is not a huge issue but I will be traveling with them infrequently.

- Only interested in Closed as I do not want to disturb coworkers.

- I would like to spend around $200 or less.

- Music interests vary across the spectrum..  I definitely want something with substantial lows for bass music but the mids and highs are also really important as I listen to a lot of folk / indie / ambient / mellow vocals / etc.

- I have never used an amp but I am open to it in the future. I would like it to sound pretty good unamped as well.

The research I have done so far keeps bringing me back to ATH-M50, ATH-A700, Beyer DT770, Ultrasone HFI780, Denon D2000

Thoughts?  Big thanks in advance!  

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #6,306 of 29,490

Quote:
Greetings all - I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now and feel more overwhelmed than when I started.  Heh, so..  this is my first post asking for some advice.  

I am looking to purchase my first pair of high end headphones. I've been listening to a relatively cheap pair of noise-canceling headphones but they get pretty uncomfortable after a few hours and I'm over the electronic noise-canceling feature.  I would much rather get a closed set with a more full sound.  Parameters:

- Comfort is probably my number one priority, I'd like to be able to wear them for 6 to 8 hours a day without pain - primary usage is in the office, portability is not a huge issue but I will be traveling with them infrequently.

- Only interested in Closed as I do not want to disturb coworkers.

- I would like to spend around $200 or less.

- Music interests vary across the spectrum..  I definitely want something with substantial lows for bass music but the mids and highs are also really important as I listen to a lot of folk / indie / ambient / mellow vocals / etc.

- I have never used an amp but I am open to it in the future. I would like it to sound pretty good unamped as well.

The research I have done so far keeps bringing me back to ATH-M50, ATH-A700, Beyer DT770, Ultrasone HFI780, Denon D2000

Thoughts?  Big thanks in advance!  

Lots of people like the ATH-50 for music, ATH-A700s get good and mixed reviews, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohms are bassy, maybe a little to bassy for long term listening.
The Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm are bassy and balanced, but you will need to buy a separate amplifier for them.
Last two brands I have no experience with.
I'm the kind of guy that says save your money and just buy some Superlux HD-668B.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #6,307 of 29,490

Quote:
I have been browsing this forum for the last couple of weeks. Reading 100+ pages of this thread and numerous other threads. I have seen a lot of people asking for music/gaming headphones in the 100$ category, which is also around my budget. More often than not, the helpful users of this forum, suggest the ATH-AD700 or ATH-M50. The problem is I live in Denmark and apparently headphones are way more expensive in my country. The ATH-M50 is around 220$ and the ATH-AD700 basically the same. 

So finally I have decided to ask instead of keep looking around this forum for a post/thread that fit my needs. Currently I´m using the Gamecom 777. However I have decided to drop gaming headsets and go for separate headphone and mic. Hoping to improve the sound quality. 

Due to English not being my native language and a serious lack of technical knowledge about this subject, I´m finding it really hard to describe which sound I´m looking for. But I think the best words to describe it, is a balanced full sound. Not to detailed to reveal their own shortcomings, if that makes any sense.  

Budget: Around 100$ (600 danish kroner).

Use: Rough estimate 85% gaming/15% music.

Gaming is almost exclusively MMORPG combined with a little strategy and FPS. So directional accuracy and other similar needs for competitive FPS gamers is not a preference. I´m just looking for something to make the sound experience of MMORPG more immerse and enjoyable.

Music is just your garden variety run of the mill rock and pop. Examples: Kings of Leon, Mumford and Sons, Adele, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Source: Exclusively my PC with a "Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music"-sound card.

Closed/open: No preferences. 

Possible models: Looking at the marked in Denmark for models within my price range, this is what I could find:

- Sennheiser HD 448
 - Sennheiser HD 215 II
 - Sennheiser 212 Pro
 - Sony MDR XB700
 - Audio Technica ATH-M30/ATH-M35
 - Sennheiser HD 238
 - Sony MDR NC7

Alternatives are more than welcome.

This was my initial post. The suggestion was to get the Sennheiser HD 448. However the guy suggesting it, implied the HD 448 was not a great headset, but just the least worst of those I listed.

So I decided to investigate the Danish marked within my price range a little further. That combined with me going to the local hifi store and testing a couple of models, to determine what kind of sound I like.

I tried two models. The Denon AH-D510 and the Marshall Major. Out of those two the Marshall Major definitely came out at the winner. I found the sound of the Marshall Major to be a lot more clearer and defined than the Denon. Compared the Denon sounded a little muddy and not so crisp. The only reason I did not buy the Marshal Major was that I did not find them very comfortable. Both models have been burned in at least 20 hours before I tried them.

Looking a little closer at the marked I found these models:

- Shure SRH240
 - Creative Aurvana Live!
 - Sennheiser HD 438
 - AKG K 514
 - Beyerdynamic DTX-910

So with the new models in mind and the little bit of testing I have done, is the best choice still the HD 448?

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #6,308 of 29,490
Hi there, new to the forums here, would really appreciate some help
I am looking to buy my first set of quality headphones. My budget is just over $200, or £130.
Ideally I dont want to buy a portable amp, but if necessary my budget for that would be $60 or £40.
I am looking for a reasonably stylish headphone, but obviously sound is more important. Also, something comfortable would be great, and although it will mainly be for home listening, I wil wear them out and about, but not for anything strenuous. I listen to a lot of hip hop, also a lot of indie stuff, and some acoustic based music.
Headphones I am considering atm are Shure SRH 940s, Audio technica ATH-ES7s and the M50s, Goldring NS1000, Denon AH D1100, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, Sennheiser HD 380s.
so there you are, any recommendations and information would be great ! hope you have everything you need
thanks in advance

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #6,309 of 29,490

Quote:

Creative Aurvana

Superlux HD-681

DBI Pro-700 Headphones

Sennheiser HD428 
witch one would you recommend I mostly listen to metal and classic rock.
Budgets 40$ if you have any other suggestions
thanks

The CAL or Superlux would be good choices.

The DBI is actually a really good price, though personally I'm not a fan of the sound.

Quote:
This was my initial post. The suggestion was to get the Sennheiser HD 448. However the guy suggesting it, implied the HD 448 was not a great headset, but just the least worst of those I listed.

So I decided to investigate the Danish marked within my price range a little further. That combined with me going to the local hifi store and testing a couple of models, to determine what kind of sound I like.

I tried two models. The Denon AH-D510 and the Marshall Major. Out of those two the Marshall Major definitely came out at the winner. I found the sound of the Marshall Major to be a lot more clearer and defined than the Denon. Compared the Denon sounded a little muddy and not so crisp. The only reason I did not buy the Marshal Major was that I did not find them very comfortable. Both models have been burned in at least 20 hours before I tried them.

- Shure SRH240
 - Creative Aurvana Live!
 - Sennheiser HD 438
 - AKG K 514
 - Beyerdynamic DTX-910

So with the new models in mind and the little bit of testing I have done, is the best choice still the HD 448?

I actually preferred the HD438 over the 448 for the warmer/bassier sound.

Is the Shure 440 available at a reasonable price? The sound is quite good and balanced on those.

I liked the Denon D1001 (which is basically the same as the Creative Aurvana Live)

Quote:
Hi there, new to the forums here, would really appreciate some help
I am looking to buy my first set of quality headphones. My budget is just over $200, or £130.
Ideally I dont want to buy a portable amp, but if necessary my budget for that would be $60 or £40.
I am looking for a reasonably stylish headphone, but obviously sound is more important. Also, something comfortable would be great, and although it will mainly be for home listening, I wil wear them out and about, but not for anything strenuous. I listen to a lot of hip hop, also a lot of indie stuff, and some acoustic based music.
Headphones I am considering atm are Shure SRH 940s, Audio technica ATH-ES7s and the M50s, Goldring NS1000, Denon AH D1100, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, Sennheiser HD 380s.
so there you are, any recommendations and information would be great ! hope you have everything you need
thanks in advance

If you've actually found the Shure 940 at that price, go for it. Otherwise, the HD25-1-ii and HD380 are good choices as well.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #6,310 of 29,490
Those sections of the site are really incomplete. 

Is there anything in particular that you're looking for?

General advice here is to not get carried away with all the toys.

The most comfortable headphones I've ever worn:
B&W P5
Phiaton PS 500
Denon D2000
any of the full sized winged Audio Technicas 

Check your local music stores. They very likely have an HD25-1-ii that you can try out, and probably a 940 and Beyers as well. 

Been reading for a couple days and I'm sort of confused.. I am looking for a total setup for under two thousand not including headphones. Ideally it would be around 1500. I don't really know what I should buy.

What audio source should I use? I mean I have a computer with a sound card but I would like to buy something separate that I can put in my living room. Would that be a cd player or do they make big standalone mp3 players (lol). If I bought an iPod I'm guessing I would need a dock with input/outputs?

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #6,311 of 29,490
You could just get an all-in-one unit... two off the top of my head: Nuforce HDP and Burson HA-160D. These are a combo dac, headphone amp, and preamp.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #6,312 of 29,490
I was looking at the burson actually have been in contact with John delmo, the only downside I see for me with the burson is no optical input which I would like; to use with the occasional movie etc.

How the does the nuforce compare with burson?

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #6,313 of 29,490
You might have to ask in the source forum for that. The Burson is an expensive piece of gear, so I don't think too many people around here have heard it. I'm really not too familiar with the higher end gear; I'm more of a mid-fi guy.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #6,314 of 29,490

Quote:
You're kinda .. off. 

http://sg.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_STX/

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_U3/

I really don't know how you can tell whether a device has a built-in amp just by looking at it's casing, lol. 

And please don't be so rude when you're trying to call out on others' mistakes. Anyone with a brain would know to take

the advice in this thread with a grain of salt. 

i'm not off and neither of those cards is the asus DX we are talking about. The DX does NOT have a case and does NOT have a headphone amp.......it's this sort of ignorance that starts these problems.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #6,315 of 29,490

Quote:

- Shure SRH240
 - Creative Aurvana Live!
 - Sennheiser HD 438
 - AKG K 514
 - Beyerdynamic DTX-910

I really like sound that came from my CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) headphones, cups are not that big, barely fits over my ears.
Wish I had not stepped on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back