++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #6,272 of 29,490

Quote:
The Superlux HD668b should be powered sufficiently by the Xonar DX, my FiiO E7 handled it sufficiently.

The 668bs are portable-ish monitors with the usual impedance such phones have these days - 40 or 50 ohms. Should be a snap. If you're using Windows then it's probably worth installing either Cowon's JetAudio player (excellent EQ and BBE tech for restoring lost harmonics to compressed formats) or a VST host like Foobar. Or both - it's not like they cost anything.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #6,273 of 29,490

Quote:
i can almost guarantee your laptop has a soundcard. if it didnt, then there would be no built in speakers, no headphone jack, etc. 

Technically speaking, the laptop will almost certainly have integrated sound - ie the gubbins for sound will be part of the motherboard and not a seperate card. The two of you might mean the same thing but be using different language - ie there is hw for sound, but it ain't a card in the old sense of the word.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #6,275 of 29,490
So should I go Asus Xonar D1 or stick to Realtek HD892? Would there be an improvement? I'm almost decided to buy an Asus D1 just for the Dolby Headphone, which I want to at least try for games and movies (at 40€ it's quite inexpensive so...).

Also, my mobo comes with THX TruStudio Pro which should also make it for 3D sound, but I haven't read good things about it (as I did with Dolby Headphone). It's a pitty I have it all coming home right now!! It's taking way too long...

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #6,277 of 29,490

Quote:
Well as I already said, I can get an Asus Essence ST or even a Nuforce uDac2. Whichever is most recommended.

Are the Superlux really that good? I've never trusted <25 € headphones, but what I've read well...they look good (though some people say they are not that good). It really is hard to believe (specially when comparing price with my IE8's, and I'm not looking for worse sounding equipment of course).

Audio quality is subjective, but very serious people use AKG240s for sound recording and mixing. The 668B has been repeatedly described by people able to compare the phones as indistinguishable. They're one of the most popular phones at thomann.de, probably the biggest online musicians' electronics store in Europe.

Plus, if you don't like 668s, you either return them or sell them. At that price what can you lose? $10? And if you like them, you saved $100? 

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #6,279 of 29,490
Ok, thanks guys. I've already ordered as I said both Superlux 668b and 661 (normal), as well as the ear pads from AKG at thomann. Also ordered the Xonar D1 at a local store. I'll be telling my impressions asap. I saved a lot of money! Sorry for your wallet isn't the motto here nowadays, is it? :p

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #6,280 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright, so i think i'm ready for some new phones to compliment my sr225i's. I've done a lot of research, but i can't find a phone that exactly matches my criteria, so i might have to make a few sacrifices. Here's what i'm looking for...

-A slightly laid back sound signature.
-Decent soundstage
-Non-fatiguing highs. I'd like them to be detailed, but in no way harsh
-Good mids overall
-Slightly emphasized bass. Preferably smooth. Shouldn't bleed into mids or be overpowering. 

I listen to a lot of music, but this phone will mainly be for rapfolk, soft rock, and movies. As i mentioned earlier, i already have a pair of grado's so this will be my relaxing/comfortable headphone. 

My price range is around $200-$300, but i'll take any suggestions. 

Your tastes sound very similar to mine, so these are the headphones that I have really enjoyed:
Shure 840: strong bass but it doesn't bleed into the mids too much, relaxed sound
AKG K240 Sextett: absolutely magical with a tube amp
Phiaton MS400: maybe a touch too bassy for you, but a very fun and warm sound
Pioneer HDJ-2000: more technical than the 840

Quote:
Well i have been doing a ton of reading already and my brain is numb. So im gonna be "that guy" and ask which headphone is best for me.

I will mainly be using these for music either on ipod or off my laptop, so mostly stationary, i have in ears for working out and such. I tend to listen to metal and rock mostly, but i do slip in some rap and techno from time to time. i know i dont want open headphone because i will be using them in the library or around other students who might not share my taste in music. Also i have come to the understanding to stay away from beats and skullcandy as they are mostly overpriced for what they do. i have been looking at Sennheiser HD 380 Pro at newegg. My price range is $200 but less would be ideal, haha. Hoping for good base and all around sound, so hopefully you guys can help me out.

The HD380 is a great headphone and a definite underdog here at headfi. Comfort is great, and isolation is excellent.

Quote:

Hello fellow Head-fier's. As a young audio enthusiast with reasonable experience with headphones, I feel the need to move up the scale a bit. The audio store I work at holds many brands and I've had the privilege to try out many headphones such as the whole grado line, as well as sennheiser hd600, hd650, hd25-1 ii and the hd800, and so on. 

I absolutely love the grado headphones, they are truly unique and very colorful , but maybe just slightly too much for my tastes at times. (the 325i's, which interested me the most, are a bit too forward with certain music). This is what led me to Alessandro's, I've never had the chance to demo them, but they are tweaked grado phones with a slightly more neutral frequency response. I'm looking for a fun headphone that can also be reasonably analytical and work with more genres, rather than excelling in a couple. It seems the ms2i's would be a great choice. Otherwise, I am opened to recommendations! P.S: Mids and detailing are more important to me than bass frequencies.

I also tried the new Shure srh940's through my amp (brought to work), really enjoyed it, but like the 325i's, it can get very high pitched. But these headphones are very well built, come with accessories and being Shure's, easy to deal with for warranty/issues and concerns and whatnot. 

So really, I'm torn between ms2i's, and Srh940's, which are arguably different headphones. I would like a nice soundstage as well. If anyone out there has both these pairs and read this, please help me out!

I am looking to pay between 225-300. 

I think it comes down to a choice between open vs closed at this point.

Something else to consider is this:http://www.symphones.ca/magnum.htm
I haven't heard it myself, but the reviews seem quite positive and they have their own thread here on headfi if you do a search for impressions.

Quote:
After my last post here, I've narrowed it down to either the Ultrasone Dj1 Pro's or Pioneer HDJ 2000 any owners/former owners have any thoughts? Thanks.

I prefer the HDJ2000 by a wide margin, but it's also more expensive...

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #6,281 of 29,490
Good day Fi-ers!

After a daunting amount of research and a dizzying amount of studying I am hear to beg the opinion of the court on my first audiophilic quest. I listen to mostly Rock, Alternative, Metal, Hiphop, Rap, Jazz ... with bits of prety much everything else. I like arists like , Coheed and Cambria, Aesop Rock, Bass Nectar, Glitch Mob, Arcade Fire, Miles Davis, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Dir En Grey.... 

I want a pair of cans I can drive from my Ipod Touch 3g and My MACbook Pro, That have an accurate and airy soundstage , That are detailed, That lend themselves to the music I have listed, and that do not have over exaggerated Base or Treble and a round sound signature. 

I have been searching into any possible combination of the Senn 650's , the  AKG701's, and The ByerDynamic 880 Pro's 
with the possibility of
The Pico AMP/DAC 
Or the IBASSO D12 Anaconda as a Dac/Amp.               

I have a $500 dollar ish budget 

Any and all opinions on making the match  based on my equipment and musical preference would be much appriciated . Thanks =) 

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #6,282 of 29,490
How about an Audio Technica ESW9a? It has a nice even sound signature, along with an airy soundstage. It's also fairly easy to drive, and portable for use with your ipod.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #6,283 of 29,490

Quote:
Good day Fi-ers!

After a daunting amount of research and a dizzying amount of studying I am hear to beg the opinion of the court on my first audiophilic quest. I listen to mostly Rock, Alternative, Metal, Hiphop, Rap, Jazz ... with bits of prety much everything else. I like arists like , Coheed and Cambria, Aesop Rock, Bass Nectar, Glitch Mob, Arcade Fire, Miles Davis, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Dir En Grey.... 

I want a pair of cans I can drive from my Ipod Touch 3g and My MACbook Pro, That have an accurate and airy soundstage , That are detailed, That lend themselves to the music I have listed, and that do not have over exaggerated Base or Treble and a round sound signature. 

I have been searching into any possible combination of the Senn 650's , the  AKG701's, and The ByerDynamic 880 Pro's 
with the possibility of
The Pico AMP/DAC 
Or the IBASSO D12 Anaconda as a Dac/Amp.               

I have a $500 dollar ish budget 

Any and all opinions on making the match  based on my equipment and musical preference would be much appriciated . Thanks =) 

Save lots of money.
Superlux HD-668B, with whatever headphone amp. you prefer.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #6,285 of 29,490
ok didn't see this before, my aplogies
what headphones would you all recommend for an Ipod classic 160gb, 200 dollar budget, reasonably attractive headphones, and nice and comfortable.
and would you recommend a portable amp ?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back