++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 7, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #5,896 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

Looking for a pair of Headphones to replace my Samsom Sr850's
I listen to mostly Prog metal, Djent, alt rock, indie and a very small amount of Classical.
I would like a larger soundstage than the Sr850's
I like a fairly even response, dislike scooped mids, as I play guitar, so I like to really hear the guitars well.
Must be able to be driven from Mp3 player, Cdp, without an amp.
Must be circumaural (I can't stand on-ear)
Budget is £150. (If people insist on an amp to hear full SQ or properly drive them, include the amp as part of the budget)

How about moving up to an AKG K240? Great sound, and chances are you're already used to the fit...

Quote:
but cant you just change the EQ to have less bass when playing games?

It would help, but bass heavy headphones tend to have lower and midbass resonance which adds to that warm fuzzy sound but tends to leave the high end sharpness behind which is where your critical positional cues typically come from.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #5,897 of 29,490

Quote:

How about moving up to an AKG K240? Great sound, and chances are you're already used to the fit...

They are one of the Hp's that I was looking into, I do like the fit of the Samsons, nice and relaxed, that said, I have a fairly small head, so I never experience too much clamping with any headphones.

Does anyone have anything to say about the HE-300's? they look great, and I've only read good things about them, would they be a step up from K240s?
They push my budget slightly, but have a similar impedance to the K240s, so shouldn't Require an amp (although one may be purchased later down the line if the it will improve the SQ)

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #5,898 of 29,490
so im new to this audiophile world and ive been reading the forums there and here deciding which headphone to get. i narrowed it down to the ath-m50, srh440, or ath-a700. i also might possibly buy a soundcard later down the road. i plan to use this headphone for at least 6-8 years and hopefully not regret or waste time returning the headset upon being not satisfied with it.

atm im using a logitech g930, so i should expect a huge difference in sound quality when i play games, listen to music, and watching movies/anime. so again which headphone should i get? the ath-m50, srh440, or the ath-a700? or is there some other headphone that will suit my needs for around $150?

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #5,899 of 29,490
I have been browsing this forum for the last couple of weeks. Reading 100+ pages of this thread and numerous other threads. I have seen a lot of people asking for music/gaming headphones in the 100$ category, which is also around my budget. More often than not, the helpful users of this forum, suggest the ATH-AD700 or ATH-M50. The problem is I live in Denmark and apparently headphones are way more expensive in my country. The ATH-M50 is around 220$ and the ATH-AD700 basically the same. 

So finally I have decided to ask instead of keep looking around this forum for a post/thread that fit my needs. Currently I´m using the Gamecom 777. However I have decided to drop gaming headsets and go for separate headphone and mic. Hoping to improve the sound quality. 

Due to English not being my native language and a serious lack of technical knowledge about this subject, I´m finding it really hard to describe which sound I´m looking for. But I think the best words to describe it, is a balanced full sound. Not to detailed to reveal their own shortcomings, if that makes any sense.  

Budget: Around 100$ (600 danish kroner).

Use: Rough estimate 85% gaming/15% music.

Gaming is almost exclusively MMORPG combined with a little strategy and FPS. So directional accuracy and other similar needs for competitive FPS gamers is not a preference. I´m just looking for something to make the sound experience of MMORPG more immerse and enjoyable.

Music is just your garden variety run of the mill rock and pop. Examples: Kings of Leon, Mumford and Sons, Adele, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Source: Exclusively my PC with a "Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music"-sound card.

Closed/open: No preferences. 

Possible models: Looking at the marked in Denmark for models within my price range, this is what I could find:

- Sennheiser HD 448
 - Sennheiser HD 215 II
 - Sennheiser 212 Pro
 - Sony MDR XB700
 - Audio Technica ATH-M30/ATH-M35
 - Sennheiser HD 238
 - Sony MDR NC7

Alternatives are more than welcome.

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #5,901 of 29,490
I've read it, but unfortunately, most of his options are solidly above my price range, or are hard to find (the Creative Aurvana Live!).

The KSC75 is one that I overlooked as I'm leary of clip ons in terms of long term comfort, and was originally looking for a closed option, however, it does seem to be widely available via e-bay and is pretty inexpensive.

The ATH-AD700 is also one I initially overlooked, again as I was looking for a closed design. It's also up into the price range where I would feel uncomfortable from e-bay and would much rather buy from a vendor with a solid return policy. :frowning2:

Edit: I'm also not a hyper competitive gamer and the comments about light bass with the AD700s make me a bit hesitant about them too. Would the A700 be a better choice?

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #5,902 of 29,490
^
You could try looking for some JVC RX700s.  They have a pretty decent soundstage for being closed cans and are actually fairly cheap.  There's also some modding threads around for them,  so if you like to tinker you could potentially pull more bang for your buck out of them.

The A700 is a completely different beast.  I wouldn't recommend it.

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #5,903 of 29,490

Quote:
They are one of the Hp's that I was looking into, I do like the fit of the Samsons, nice and relaxed, that said, I have a fairly small head, so I never experience too much clamping with any headphones.
Does anyone have anything to say about the HE-300's? they look great, and I've only read good things about them, would they be a step up from K240s?
They push my budget slightly, but have a similar impedance to the K240s, so shouldn't Require an amp (although one may be purchased later down the line if the it will improve the SQ)

The HE-300 are quite new. Best place for impressions is their dedicated thread on the forums. Here's another review:
http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he-300-the-dynamic-driver/

Quote:
so im new to this audiophile world and ive been reading the forums there and here deciding which headphone to get. i narrowed it down to the ath-m50, srh440, or ath-a700. i also might possibly buy a soundcard later down the road. i plan to use this headphone for at least 6-8 years and hopefully not regret or waste time returning the headset upon being not satisfied with it.

atm im using a logitech g930, so i should expect a huge difference in sound quality when i play games, listen to music, and watching movies/anime. so again which headphone should i get? the ath-m50, srh440, or the ath-a700? or is there some other headphone that will suit my needs for around $150?

For general listening at that price, I would say the M50 is your best bet. The Shure 840 is also in that bracket now and is worth considering.

Quote:
I have been browsing this forum for the last couple of weeks. Reading 100+ pages of this thread and numerous other threads. I have seen a lot of people asking for music/gaming headphones in the 100$ category, which is also around my budget. More often than not, the helpful users of this forum, suggest the ATH-AD700 or ATH-M50. The problem is I live in Denmark and apparently headphones are way more expensive in my country. The ATH-M50 is around 220$ and the ATH-AD700 basically the same. 

So finally I have decided to ask instead of keep looking around this forum for a post/thread that fit my needs. Currently I´m using the Gamecom 777. However I have decided to drop gaming headsets and go for separate headphone and mic. Hoping to improve the sound quality. 

Due to English not being my native language and a serious lack of technical knowledge about this subject, I´m finding it really hard to describe which sound I´m looking for. But I think the best words to describe it, is a balanced full sound. Not to detailed to reveal their own shortcomings, if that makes any sense.  

Budget: Around 100$ (600 danish kroner).

Use: Rough estimate 85% gaming/15% music.

Gaming is almost exclusively MMORPG combined with a little strategy and FPS. So directional accuracy and other similar needs for competitive FPS gamers is not a preference. I´m just looking for something to make the sound experience of MMORPG more immerse and enjoyable.

Music is just your garden variety run of the mill rock and pop. Examples: Kings of Leon, Mumford and Sons, Adele, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Source: Exclusively my PC with a "Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music"-sound card.

Closed/open: No preferences. 

Possible models: Looking at the marked in Denmark for models within my price range, this is what I could find:

- Sennheiser HD 448
 - Sennheiser HD 215 II
 - Sennheiser 212 Pro
 - Sony MDR XB700
 - Audio Technica ATH-M30/ATH-M35
 - Sennheiser HD 238
 - Sony MDR NC7

Alternatives are more than welcome.

Out of those available, my vote goes to the HD448 in terms of sound and value.

Quote:
So after discovering head-fi a couple of days ago while trying to figure out what headphones/headset I want to buy and reading a few more threads than I can count, I figured that I should probably go ahead and ask for some advice.

I'm going to be traveling in the not-too-distant future and will be without my usual 5.1 speaker set (Logitech X-530s) and instead relying on my laptop for my gaming, music, and movie watching needs. Sufficing to say, I'm now in the market for something a bit better than its built-in speakers.

One challenge I'm finding is this: I'm located in Canada, and even though our dollar is high, the prices for audio equipment up here are still inflated relative to the US, but cross-border shipping is expensive, so I can't save that much by doing so.

I have a maximum budget of $150 (after taxes preferably, before if necessary) with which to buy:
1) Set of headphones or a headset /w mic.
2) Mic if #1 does not have it.
3) Fairly basic USB Soundcard or DAC to drive #1, preferably with Dolby Headphone or similar. (My laptop is stuck with ALC262 based onboard). I'm thinking a Xonar U3 for about $35 before tax, but am open to options

I'm flexible as to open or closed as I'll be using these either at home for gaming if the positional information is better than my speakers, or in a hotel room while I'm away. It'd be nice if the sound leakage were fairly low however.

Since I've been approaching this from a gamer's perspective, I'm eyeballing the following options:

1) Razer Carcharias
2) Steelseries 7H
3) Shure SRH440

I'm pretty sure I'm missing many more possibilities, but I'm fairly deep into information overload at this point and don't really know where to go from here. Please help.

How about the Beyerdynamic MMX 2? It's essentially the well regarded DT235 with a mic and usb sound card attached. I don't know if it's sold in Canada, but it's fairly cheap so you should be able to have it shipped up and still come under budget after taxes/duties/etc.

In a funny way I almost want to say save up for a Psyko Audio headset purely because they're a Canadian company (and as far as I know the only Canadian headphone maker).

Sennheiser has a fairly extensive list of headsets, many of which can be found at our stores... http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets

For cheap sound cards, the Turtle Beach Audio Advantige Amigo is something like $20-25 from ncix and has a headphone jack and mic input. I have the Micro version and it's works great.

Quote:
I've read it, but unfortunately, most of his options are solidly above my price range, or are hard to find (the Creative Aurvana Live!).

The KSC75 is one that I overlooked as I'm leary of clip ons in terms of long term comfort, and was originally looking for a closed option, however, it does seem to be widely available via e-bay and is pretty inexpensive.

The ATH-AD700 is also one I initially overlooked, again as I was looking for a closed design. It's also up into the price range where I would feel uncomfortable from e-bay and would much rather buy from a vendor with a solid return policy. :frowning2:

Edit: I'm also not a hyper competitive gamer and the comments about light bass with the AD700s make me a bit hesitant about them too. Would the A700 be a better choice?

Have you also considered buying used off the forums here? I would offer something, but I don't think I have anything in my stash that would suit you except maybe the Koss Porta Pro or Audio Technica A900.

Since you mentioned that you might travel with them and don't want leakage, you're mainly looking for something portable/durable and closed. It's probably best to look for a separate headphone and mic. The Shure 440 you mentioned is good. Also see if you can find a Sony V6/7506 for cheap (they used to be under $100 in Canada)

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #5,904 of 29,490
Hey Audiophiles,

I am new to the whole Audiophile scene and I'm looking for a nice pair of full-sized headphones under 200$.

Experience/Bio
I've only owned one in-ear earphone (Sennheiser CX 300-II) and a very cheap (Sennheiser HD 202) so this is very new to me.
My friend does own the Beats Solo but it sounded terribly muddy and the bass too overpowering.
I usually listen to music on my iPod (so I can use the EQ function) or from my desktop computer.
As for gaming, I am a regular gamer but don't play competitively so accuracy does not matter but listening to the sounds gun-fire and explosions brings music to my ears.

Music Preference
I usually listen to bass heavy songs and genres such as (D&B, Electronic, Pop, R&B, Rap).
I rarely watch movies on my iPod or computer.

What I am Looking at
- Denon AH-D1100 (Seems portable, delivers strange bass at first but I can always use the EQ function)
- Sennheiser HD 595 (People reporting that the bass is somewhat weak, can someone clarify this?)

If I could get some advice, it would be great. Thanks :wink:

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #5,905 of 29,490

Quote:
^
You could try looking for some JVC RX700s.  They have a pretty decent soundstage for being closed cans and are actually fairly cheap.  There's also some modding threads around for them,  so if you like to tinker you could potentially pull more bang for your buck out of them.

The A700 is a completely different beast.  I wouldn't recommend it.

From the gaming thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone) it sounds as though their soundstage really isn't the greatest, so while their low cost is appealing, I'll probably stear clear.

Thank you for the caution about the A700, on reading more, I see what you mean.

Quote:
<snip>

How about the Beyerdynamic MMX 2? It's essentially the well regarded DT235 with a mic and usb sound card attached. I don't know if it's sold in Canada, but it's fairly cheap so you should be able to have it shipped up and still come under budget after taxes/duties/etc.

In a funny way I almost want to say save up for a Psyko Audio headset purely because they're a Canadian company (and as far as I know the only Canadian headphone maker).

Sennheiser has a fairly extensive list of headsets, many of which can be found at our stores... http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets

For cheap sound cards, the Turtle Beach Audio Advantige Amigo is something like $20-25 from ncix and has a headphone jack and mic input. I have the Micro version and it's works great.

Have you also considered buying used off the forums here? I would offer something, but I don't think I have anything in my stash that would suit you except maybe the Koss Porta Pro or Audio Technica A900.

Since you mentioned that you might travel with them and don't want leakage, you're mainly looking for something portable/durable and closed. It's probably best to look for a separate headphone and mic. The Shure 440 you mentioned is good. Also see if you can find a Sony V6/7506 for cheap (they used to be under $100 in Canada)

Regarding the MMX2, ourfpshero compared them to the Carcharias, and found the Carcharias to be the better of the two (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452710/razer-carcharias-headset-a-headfi-ers-impressions) so I'd probably go with the Carcharias in that case.

I've also found a number of comments regarding the durability of the Steelseries 7H, so I think I'll drop them from my list.

I think what's holding me up is the following,

From a gaming sound quality perspective, it looks like the ATH-AD700s would be my best bet followed by the Shures, the Sonys, and the Carcharias (not too sure about where to rate this one comparatively). However, while in general I'd be using them in a quiet environment (at home, or in a hotel room), I would like at least some isolation to at least partially block the sound of a running washer/dryer, or air conditioner, and I don't know if the AD700s would do that. Can you provide any insight?

I can buy the Shures and the Carcharias from futureshop and directly compare them easily enough, which would leave the Sonys as the wildcard. (I think I've read enough threads which have a comparison between the AD700s and the Shures to develop an understanding of the differences, AD700s have bigger soundstage and weaker (yet still precise) bass compared to the SRH440s, right?)

Thanks again.

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #5,906 of 29,490

Hey Audiophiles,

I'm looking for a new setup of headphones/amp/dac. I'm looking for headphones around ~300 and ~200 USD for the amp/dac, but those are just guesses.

Experience

I've own quite a few lower-end headphones. I currently have Sennheiser HD 280 and a pair of Sony DR-BT50 bluetooth headphones that I got as a gift that I bring around. I've tried the Beats Solo and was unimpressed. The Beats Studio was better but I'm still not sure if they're worth it.

I usually listen to music off my desktop and from my iPod. I have mostly 320kbps music and some flac in my library. I do a reasonable amount of gaming, but I definitely want to prioritize the quality of music over any gaming sounds.

Music Preference

I like a lot of bass rich music. I listen mostly to electronic, d&b, dubstep, and trance. There's some lighter rap, pop, r&b stuff that I listen to but it's less often.

What I am Looking at

- Sennheiser HD 595

- AKG k701

- Sennheiser HD 650 (a little on the pricier side)

- FiiO e7 + e9 combo

Any advice would be appreciated :D

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #5,907 of 29,490
Well, as suggested above I spent two days going from store to store in the Houston area trying to find some of these units out for demo. Went to guitar center, Fry's, Evans Music City, several home theater stores, a couple more specialty stores, MicroCenter, etc.  It's a friggin' WASTELAND out there.  None of them had any demo units out that were worth anything with the exception of Guitar Center who had a couple of the Beyers and Shures, but only the low-end models.  Needless to say: the selection across the board was worthless.

It's looking like I'll just have to rely upon second-hand reviews, and this forum looks like the best place to get that.

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #5,908 of 29,490
@cakeflan

if you like bassier music you probably shouldnt get the k701's. there bass is not impactful. 

the hd650 or hd600 would be good. id also take a look at the beyerdynamic dt880 and the denon ah d2000.

if your into diy you could build a gread dac for about 50$ (grubdac at beezar.com) and an amp for about 100$ (starving student millets hybrid)

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #5,909 of 29,490
@kchapdaily

D: that's a shame, I've read that about the k701s but i'd figure I'd ask. The look is my favorite among all the ones around that price range though.

I'm into diy but I think building those dac/amp would be a bit too ambitious at my level.

Any feedback on the e7 + e9 fiio combo?

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #5,910 of 29,490
Hey there guys, I'm totally new to this whole thing and I was searching for a new pair of headphones on Google and stumbled across here; looked like you get a lot of people asking to reccomend some headphones and I'm in the same boat so I figured I'd ask. Like I said, I don't really know anything when it comes to headphones (I'd bet I'm the most inexperienced ever to post on here), but I've always just went to the local Radio Shack and picked up whatever headphones they happened to have... They always break within months, though, and I'm kind of sick of it, so, I'm looking for something more durable.

I can only really afford low-end stuff right now, under $100; the lower the better, but I don't want something that's total junk. Mostly I'll be using it for listening to music, but also some gaming. I listen to a lot of metal; stuff like Symhony X, Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, and all that... I'll be using it on my computer almost exclusively. I want circumaural ones, of course, that's why I posted in this particular sub-forum... It'd be nice if they don't leak a whole lot of sound (hope I'm using the right terminology here), because I haven't got my own place yet... Also, like I said, durable; would be nice for them to last a year or more.

So, uh, yeah, hopefully that's enough information; if not, let me know what else, and uh... be gentle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back