++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #5,731 of 29,490

"Originally Posted by kiteki

@Vainkid
For the LOD, make sure you get the cryo frozen silver cables and 24k gold plated connectors.

For a Dap, the Clip+ will be fine, costs about $30 I think, actually the regular Clip is fine too, about $20.

You'll need a high end portable amplifier, be prepared to spend around $300.

Sennhesier HD600/650 is fine for a first headphone, just make sure (again) you upgrade the cables, it's much more practical than IEM's, and great for quality Flac listening on the go."

Quote:
Hi bro, may I ask what's the DAP clip Thingy? I've read somewhere that the E11 is sufficient to bring out the potential of Hd600/650.

Correct me if I'm wrong thanks

Sorry, I was in a sarcastic mood.

Here is my real (opposite) advice.

- Don't worry about cables upgrades, at all.

- The Clip+ is overrated, it's very small and cheap and sound good for it's size, but that's it, there are better DAPs.

- Don't worry about portable amplifiers, unless you really want to take something like the HD600 around with you.

- Senn HD600/650 are good but not for portable use, especially since they're open-air. There are lots of cheaper and more practical alternatives, like IEM's.

The E11 is probably sufficient for the HD600/650, but the E11 is a portable amplifier and if you're only going to have the HD600/650 desk-bound then you should invest in a desktop amp instead since they're better than portable amps.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #5,732 of 29,490
Hello, I'm new to Head-fi (just started browsing yesterday), and I am looking to upgrade the audio setup on my computer. I use it primarily for gaming (not extremely competitive) but movies and TV shows are also something to consider. I really don't listen to music at all.

I'm currently using onboard sound + JVC Marshmallows, so anything will be an upgrade. For the headphones, I'd like something that is comfortable to wear for long periods of time, has good positional audio for games, and also provides good overall quality sound that will immerse me in the game/movie. As for the soundcard, I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, so pretty much any recommendations are welcome.

Overall, I'm looking to spend $100-$150. I should also note that I am in Canada, so headphone prices are quite a bit higher. From doing some research yesterday, I came up with some possible headphones. At the lower end of my budget, there are the JVC HA-RX700s for $57 and Superlux HD668Bs for $60. At the top end of my budget are the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s for at least $130 if shipped from US, or $150 from Canada. I'm curious though, are the AD700s still worth it at that price? Any other suggestions for headphones are welcome.

As I said before, I'm open to most suggestions for a soundcard, but would a Asus Xonar DG be sufficient for my needs?

I think I've covered just about everything, but feel free to ask questions if it would help you give better advice.

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #5,733 of 29,490
Aug 1, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #5,734 of 29,490
I've been really looking for a new set of cans, and rounded it off to these two.

Ultrasone Pro 900 or Darth Beyer V3

Personally im inclined on getting the V3 due to the aesthetic appeal, but can anyone here vouch for their SQ? I listen to Hip Hop 95% of the time and prefer bass emphasis, ive read a lot about the Pro 900 but not much for the V3.

And please dont suggest the XB 1000, i dont want tires on my head while im listening to music

thanks

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #5,735 of 29,490
Hello HeadFi!

I'm looking for a set of headphones in the $100-250 range. As for sound signature, I want similar to my RE0s and SR60s but with better bass than a SR60 and the detailed sound of a RE0. Upgrading from a SR60 to a SR125 sounds tempting but I'm open to other suggestions. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #5,736 of 29,490

Hi, I'm looking to purchase some audiophile headphones. What would you recommend?

Guidelines/Info
- $100 budget
- No amp required
- Closed (will be used at work)
- I mostly listen to rock, electronic, and video game music
- I frequently watch movies on my computer. I also play games on my pc (mostly SC2)
- Currently using the sound card that came with my laptop (Pavilion dv6)
- Comfort and portability/durability are important.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #5,737 of 29,490

Quote:
No, I like the feeling of open cans. Months ago, I asked for headphones that combined the soundstage, treble, and comfort of the AD700s with the bass of the M50s, and I was told the Beyer DT 990 (600) were my best bet.

I'm worried what use the M50s will be when I buy the DT 990s. The only advantage the closed M50s have over the DT 990s is the isolation, but I have IEMs for that niche. I guess I'll wait and see if the two headphones are really that similar in sound signatures before selling the M50s.

The DT990 has stronger bass and high emphasis compared to the M50, verging on a tad too aggressive for my ear. Personal preferences aside though, I would rate their sound quality above the M50.

Quote:
Hello, I'm new to Head-fi (just started browsing yesterday), and I am looking to upgrade the audio setup on my computer. I use it primarily for gaming (not extremely competitive) but movies and TV shows are also something to consider. I really don't listen to music at all.

I'm currently using onboard sound + JVC Marshmallows, so anything will be an upgrade. For the headphones, I'd like something that is comfortable to wear for long periods of time, has good positional audio for games, and also provides good overall quality sound that will immerse me in the game/movie. As for the soundcard, I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, so pretty much any recommendations are welcome.

Overall, I'm looking to spend $100-$150. I should also note that I am in Canada, so headphone prices are quite a bit higher. From doing some research yesterday, I came up with some possible headphones. At the lower end of my budget, there are the JVC HA-RX700s for $57 and Superlux HD668Bs for $60. At the top end of my budget are the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s for at least $130 if shipped from US, or $150 from Canada. I'm curious though, are the AD700s still worth it at that price? Any other suggestions for headphones are welcome.

As I said before, I'm open to most suggestions for a soundcard, but would a Asus Xonar DG be sufficient for my needs?

I think I've covered just about everything, but feel free to ask questions if it would help you give better advice.

$130 for the AD700 in Canada is a reasonable price, assuming you're not paying taxes/brokerage on top of that.

The Asus should be sufficient for most needs. Just about anything is better than onboard. With the soundcard though, it may be worth considering future upgrade paths. Would it be compatible with future gear you may have planned, does it have the types of outputs you want, etc.

Quote:
I've been really looking for a new set of cans, and rounded it off to these two.

Ultrasone Pro 900 or Darth Beyer V3

Personally im inclined on getting the V3 due to the aesthetic appeal, but can anyone here vouch for their SQ? I listen to Hip Hop 95% of the time and prefer bass emphasis, ive read a lot about the Pro 900 but not much for the V3.

And please dont suggest the XB 1000, i dont want tires on my head while im listening to music

thanks

I think there's a Darth Beyer appreciation thread aroun here somewhere. You might be better off seeking opinions of people who own one as very few people would have h

Quote:
Hello HeadFi!

I'm looking for a set of headphones in the $100-250 range. As for sound signature, I want similar to my RE0s and SR60s but with better bass than a SR60 and the detailed sound of a RE0. Upgrading from a SR60 to a SR125 sounds tempting but I'm open to other suggestions. 

The Phiaton MS300 has a grado-like sound (surprising for a closed can), but with a nice added bass punch.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #5,738 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi, I'm looking to purchase some audiophile headphones. What would you recommend?

Guidelines/Info
- $100 budget
- No amp required
- Closed (will be used at work)
- I mostly listen to rock, electronic, and video game music
- I frequently watch movies on my computer. I also play games on my pc (mostly SC2)
- Currently using the sound card that came with my laptop (Pavilion dv6)
- Comfort and portability/durability are important.

A few suggestions to start you off:
Sony V6/7506
Shure 440/750
Senn PX200-ii

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #5,739 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello HeadFi!

The AKG K 240 MK II or K 242 HD are just about right there. They're open-back and have some strong and punchy bass. They're a different animal from the oft-described K271/K272, which has weak bass and a more clinical sound by comparison. The details evident from the AKG's are impressive for their current going price. These things just keep coming down in price and are a steal right now. Oh, you know how the Grado's are sometimes a bit sibilant or burning in the ears? Yeah, the AKG's aren't.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #5,740 of 29,490
I have a pair of Denon AH-D1001's but the right side of the headphones have broken.  Due to this, I am now looking for some headphones.
My price range is up to $200
I listen to a fair amount of Classical(Instrumental and Orchestral), Rap, Pop, Classical Rock, and some Alternative and Country.
I primarily listen on my Ipod or my laptop.
I will be using it in college dorms with a roommate.
I would prefer not using an amp but if need be, circumstances can change.
Thanks

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #5,741 of 29,490
*Didn't see this thread and made my own -.-*

I want some new headphones and need a bit of help choosing which to buy.

They will be used on my laptop/ipod mostly for listening to music (Mostly Rap/RnB) and the ocasionally movie/TV show.

I'm looking to spend around £50, but can spend more if needed.

At the minute, I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 448s (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Quality-Closed-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B002DGTGO0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312294758&sr=1-2) as they fit my price range, have good reviews and look nice.

Would this be a good purchase, or are there better for around the same price?

Thanks for any help.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #5,742 of 29,490

Quote:
I have a pair of Denon AH-D1001's but the right side of the headphones have broken.  Due to this, I am now looking for some headphones.
My price range is up to $200
I listen to a fair amount of Classical(Instrumental and Orchestral), Rap, Pop, Classical Rock, and some Alternative and Country.
I primarily listen on my Ipod or my laptop.
I will be using it in college dorms with a roommate.
I would prefer not using an amp but if need be, circumstances can change.
Thanks

The Shure 840 would be a nice step up. The obvious comparisons to the Audio Technica M50 will be brought up, but I feel the Shure handles classical music much much better than the M50.

Quote:
*Didn't see this thread and made my own -.-*

I want some new headphones and need a bit of help choosing which to buy.

They will be used on my laptop/ipod mostly for listening to music (Mostly Rap/RnB) and the ocasionally movie/TV show.

I'm looking to spend around £50, but can spend more if needed.

At the minute, I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 448s (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Quality-Closed-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B002DGTGO0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312294758&sr=1-2) as they fit my price range, have good reviews and look nice.

Would this be a good purchase, or are there better for around the same price?

Thanks for any help.

From the closed Sennheiser segment, I actually prefer the PX200-ii over the HD4xx series. You lose a bit of soundstage, but it is vastly more portable, less heat buildup, and a very clean bass end.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #5,743 of 29,490

Quote:
From the closed Sennheiser segment, I actually prefer the PX200-ii over the HD4xx series. You lose a bit of soundstage, but it is vastly more portable, less heat buildup, and a very clean bass end.

Portability really doesn't matter that much to me, heat buildup doesn't much either.

Which is better purely for sound quality? Is there anything other than the Sennheiser HD4 series for around £50 that has better sound quality?

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #5,744 of 29,490
Hello, I just registered so I can get help on choosing the right headphone for me.
Well I like a lot of music, but mostly dubstep/techno/house/pop.

I looked up an people said get Beats? But then I looked around and people said there are a lot better headphones out there for the price/or even less. So I want to get the best bang for the buck.

Can anyone suggest me one?

I want to keep my budget below $250, unless theres a good headphone close to that price for a bit higher.

EDIT: I also want to be able to use on my iPod Touch 4G, atm I have Astro A40s + Mixamp for my laptop and its not ment for music, its ment for gaming... so yea.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #5,745 of 29,490

First off I want to say that these forums are amazing.  I stumbled across it when I was deciding between the Beats Studio and Beats Pro because I went to their website  http://www.usa-beatsbydre.com/113-beats-pro-high-performance-professional-headphones.html and everything was between 50-70% off for some reason.. idk.  But anyway I chose neither.  I have the people on these forums to thank for that I almost fell for the marketing conglomerates and l would of probably of ended up disapointed based on what I've read around here.

So I'm back to square one on what type of 'phones I want to get, heres some basics:

1. Price Range: between $150 and $200
  2. I'll be using them exclusivley with my Iphone 4... mostly at home, some at school
  3. Eventually I'd like to get a home amp... not sure if that matters with which type of headphones I get
  4. Would like detachable cords
  5. I listen to mostly underground hip hop
  6. Bass is a must

Thank you 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back