++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 31, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #5,701 of 29,490
Mmmm... not many people here in Hawaii have them.  But in anycase what would be a cheap amp/dac that I could run from my laptop?  I run mostly lossless. =)

Quote:
Have you considered the Audio Technica ATH-AD700/900? They are very comfortable and play well with classical. The e9 would be more than enough amp for them as well.

Static can be caused by a lot of things...
- low quality files - try playing a cd or some other higher quality source and see how it sounds
- it could be electrical interference - are there any nearby devices that can generate electric/magnetic/etc fields that can interfere with the sound?
- it could be power supply issues/ground loop - this is very hard to diagnose; try a different usb port, plug the computer into a different outlet, unplug other devices or appliances from the same wall outlet, etc.

I'm not really sure what would cause the pitch change. My best guess is that if you're maxing the volume that you're basically pushing the amplifier into clipping range which is distorting your music. This is probably entering unsafe listening levels... you might be better served with a closed can which can isolate you from outside noise so you don't have to turn the volume up so high.

Unless you need the miniaturization, any regular receiver will do the job. Pick up an older model from a garage sale for way cheaper.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #5,702 of 29,490

Sorry, didn't see this thread, so I will repost in here...

i've been doing a lot of research on decent headphones for a good price.

what I was/am looking for:

closed, around ear

hi-fidelity

ergonomics

affordability

I've come down to 2 options:
the Sennheiser hd280 (65-80$) OR
the Sennheiser hd438. (70-85$)
They both have good reviews and recommendations.

These headphones seemed to both be balanced in high sound quality, minimal sound leak, slightly bassy, and comfort.

I listen to a lot of electronica (trance, techno etc), listen to ambient/soft music, play computer games, and also listen to listen to binaural beats so the frequency sensitivity is important to me too.

could someone who has experienced using both headphones please give me a contrast on both? If i had to pick between the two which would i pick?

product information:

hd280: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/productDownloads/productSheets/HD280PRO_ProductSheet.pdf

hd438: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/productDownloads/productSheets/HD438_ProductSheet.pdf

THANKS!! :D

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #5,703 of 29,490

Quote:

Check out the Audio Technca ATH-AD700, it's good value for money and a very popular gaming headphone (at least for those that are into FPS).

If you don't like the purple colour, or want a closed headphone with more bass (open headphones are cool though), then you might want to check out the Sony ZX700.

If you want something stylish (since you're a girl) and a bit cheaper, I'd get the Yuin G2A.

Edit: you might want to consider this one as well, quoting user Mad Lust Envy here:

"DT770 Pro 80

Comfort king. This is a heavy hitter. Very impressive for non-competitive gaming, especially if you wanna feel like you're in a movie theater. The bass is considerably super powered, and would make this a bad choice for competitive gaming. However, the soundstage depth and width is surprisingly large for a closed headphone. These also have the VERY best sense of distance when positioning sounds...PERIOD. Nothing has toppled this headphone when it comes to that. Not the AD700, K701, or HD598. Too bad it's too wild in bass for hardcore FPS gaming. The finer details are prety much sucked out because of the bass.

Fun: 9/10

Competitive: 6/10 (positional accuracy is the very best, but the bloated bass makes it hard to pick up details, so it hurts it quite a bit.)"

Quote:

Here's a bunch to look into to get your started:
Phiaton MS400
Ultrasone HFI-580
Audio Technica M50 or Pro700mk2
Shure 750

Sonically I liked the MS400 the most out of those, and they fit a bit more snug on the head too.

Alright, I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technca ATH-AD700 and the Audio Technca ATH M50's.. I'm leading toward the M50's right now. Anyone have any input on this? Looks don't bother me - and I won't be using these for gaming, just music and probably just the occasional movie or tv show. I also don't know if I should lean toward Open or Closed headphones, any advice on this? Closed seems better because of noise reduction etc and if I DO take these headphones on a airplane etc (which would probably be rare), it'd be nice to have I think. I've read a lot of reviews about both of these recently and they both seem to have pretty positive reviews overall.

I appreciate all the help so far, thanks guys.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #5,704 of 29,490
I have several questions, please help.

I really need some help here.  My 10 year old Grado 225's have developed a static noise problem in the left ear when I move around the the cable brushes against me.  I suspect a problem with the cables (but not sure). 
1) I don't know if my headphones are in warranty or how to have them repaired.  Can they be repaired and would the cost of repairs exceed the cost of a new pair of headphones? 
2) Where can I have them repaired if they can be worked on? I am not willing to learn how to solder just to do this myself on something this expensive for my first time. 

Next up:
I've been looking for an upgrade/replacement for these headphones for a while now.  Assuming the worst case scenario and the cost of repairs exceeds the $224 cost of a new pair of SR225i's:
1) What can I get that is considered an upgrade in sound from these headphones?
2) I like the sound of these headphones, but I've felt that the sound was lacking something for a while now, but every time I look at the $500 or cheaper headphones, the only ones that that have any bass are the really cheap ones like the 225 series or the SR80's.  Are there any good headphones that have a clear sound-stage, with enough bass for classic/acoustic/rock and electronic music, without sounding muddy or without having the high fatigue that Grado's seem to have in long listening sessions? 

I'm open to suggestions.  I would prefer under $400.  I like open cans, but am willing to consider closed if I can avoid sweaty ears.  I have an amp that is impedance matched for my Grado 225's.  I listen to mostly digital music of various genres including Dance, Rock, various electronic, acoustic, and vocals. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #5,705 of 29,490

Quote:
If comfort is a high priority, I strongly suggest heading to your nearest music store and trying them out for yourselves. The Shure and KRK should be readily available at just about any big music store.

Unfortunately, they are not available here locally and I have to order them online. :[

Follow up
Quote:
Choosing between the price ranges of these 3 portable headphones, which is the best?
Comfort and quality for mids are priorities :)

Shure SRH440
Allen and Heathe Xone XD40
KRK KNS6400 KNS-6400

I need your suggestions :)

I listen mainly to podcasts, pop rock, rnb and acoustic.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #5,706 of 29,490
Hey guys, I was directed here from google. I am not an audiophile but I do appreciate the highest sound quality. I currently have a new job where I work from home, so I'll be doing more music listening than ever (from laptop/phone), pretty much all day. I want to invest in a good pair of headphones with a budget of $100. I am not specifically interested in one particular quality, just an overall best total package of comfort, sound, style, durability, etc. I mostly listen to hip hop and appreciate a good bass but by no means do i want a bass monster at all. I prefer a more balanced sound. I am currently looking at the Sony mdr-zx700, and since im pretty clueless when it comes to headphones I know you guys would do me a favor and give a thumbs up to these (for my needs) or steer me in the right direction. Much appreciated, thank you.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #5,707 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright, I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technca ATH-AD700 and the Audio Technca ATH M50's.. I'm leading toward the M50's right now. Anyone have any input on this? Looks don't bother me - and I won't be using these for gaming, just music and probably just the occasional movie or tv show. I also don't know if I should lean toward Open or Closed headphones, any advice on this? Closed seems better because of noise reduction etc and if I DO take these headphones on a airplane etc (which would probably be rare), it'd be nice to have I think. I've read a lot of reviews about both of these recently and they both seem to have pretty positive reviews overall.

You'll definitely want a closed headphone for a plane.

open-air headphones sound slightly better (they're... airier, and sound more.... open =p) but they leak a lot of sound to people around you.

If you are leaning towards the M50 since it's a closed headphone you should check out reviews on the ZX700 as well because I've read it's better than the M50 and costs the same or less.

Oh yeah you could also check out ATH-A700 which is supposed to be a closed version of the AD700 but I haven't read any reviews on that one.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #5,708 of 29,490

Quote:
So, I've been considering my next pair of headphones (I'll be stepping up from the M50s).
How does the ATH-W1000x compare to the HD 800, LCD2, and T1 in terms of soundstage and lows/mids/highs?
How does it compare to the M50 in terms of isolation?

I'm looking for the best closed headphones I can get for < $600, and I've seen a lot of good things about the ATH-W1000x.

I'll be using them with an mp3 player and possibly a laptop.
I don't need them for gaming.

If it requires an amp, that's fine, but I just want to find the best closed pair I get get for below $600 (portable use, I suppose).
I already carry my M50 with me, so size isn't an issue.

You can't get the HD800/LCD2/T1 for under $600, so let's just cut that out of consideration. They're all open anyways, so will not isolate as well as the M50. The full sized winged audio technicas all have below average isolation. They are also terrible for portable use as they are not very stable on the head and are not that durable.

If you're looking for a step up from the M50, maybe consider the Shure 940, Senn HD25-1-ii, Beyer DT1350, Pioneer HDJ-2000.

Quote:
M-Audio Q40 looks very good so I think I will buy them :) But is my motherboards integrated soundcard enough for them?

It should be fine, though a dedicated sound card or usb sound card would be a noticeable improvement.

Quote:
Mmmm... not many people here in Hawaii have them.  But in anycase what would be a cheap amp/dac that I could run from my laptop?  I run mostly lossless. =)

HotAudio DacDestroyer or BitPerfect
FiiO E7
iBasso D2

Quote:

closed, around ear
hi-fidelity
ergonomics
affordability

These headphones seemed to both be balanced in high sound quality, minimal sound leak, slightly bassy, and comfort.

I listen to a lot of electronica (trance, techno etc), listen to ambient/soft music, play computer games, and also listen to listen to binaural beats so the frequency sensitivity is important to me too.

could someone who has experienced using both headphones please give me a contrast on both? If i had to pick between the two which would i pick?

product information:
hd280: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/productDownloads/productSheets/HD280PRO_ProductSheet.pdf
hd438: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/media/productDownloads/productSheets/HD438_ProductSheet.pdf

The HD280 have far better durability and isolation, and also fold up for portability purposes. The HD438 has better soundstage and less clamp, but rolls off a bit in the lows and highs.

Quote:

The M50's are popular and will probably suit you better. The AD700 are not portable at all and don't isolate.

Quote:
I have several questions, please help.

I really need some help here.  My 10 year old Grado 225's have developed a static noise problem in the left ear when I move around the the cable brushes against me.  I suspect a problem with the cables (but not sure). 
1) I don't know if my headphones are in warranty or how to have them repaired.  Can they be repaired and would the cost of repairs exceed the cost of a new pair of headphones? 
2) Where can I have them repaired if they can be worked on? I am not willing to learn how to solder just to do this myself on something this expensive for my first time. 

Next up:
I've been looking for an upgrade/replacement for these headphones for a while now.  Assuming the worst case scenario and the cost of repairs exceeds the $224 cost of a new pair of SR225i's:
1) What can I get that is considered an upgrade in sound from these headphones?
2) I like the sound of these headphones, but I've felt that the sound was lacking something for a while now, but every time I look at the $500 or cheaper headphones, the only ones that that have any bass are the really cheap ones like the 225 series or the SR80's.  Are there any good headphones that have a clear sound-stage, with enough bass for classic/acoustic/rock and electronic music, without sounding muddy or without having the high fatigue that Grado's seem to have in long listening sessions? 

I'm open to suggestions.  I would prefer under $400.  I like open cans, but am willing to consider closed if I can avoid sweaty ears.  I have an amp that is impedance matched for my Grado 225's.  I listen to mostly digital music of various genres including Dance, Rock, various electronic, acoustic, and vocals. 

After 10 years the cables are probably shot on one or both sides, most likely where they enter the cup. If you're able to use a soldering iron, you can just fix them on your own. Take the cups apart (a quick forum or google search will yield several pages and even videos), detach the wires, snip off a couple inches, strip off the ends to expose some wire, tie a knot, resolder, done.

For new headphones, there are many options... though finding the one that matches your preferences, well that's always the trick isn't it? Sennheiser are good all-rounders, although if you are accustomed to the Grado sound you might find them a bit muffled sounding. The AKG K701/K702/Q701 might be worth looking into. You might also consider an Ultrasone like the HFI2400 or Pro2900. In your price range, you're also within reach of the HE-4 orthodynamic.

Quote:
Unfortunately, they are not available here locally and I have to order them online. :[

Can you tell us what you do have avaiilable in your area? Comfort is almost impossible to determine for other people, which is why I suggest trying out some headphones locally. At least try some within the same brand before ordering the more expensive ones online.

Quote:
Hey guys, I was directed here from google. I am not an audiophile but I do appreciate the highest sound quality. I currently have a new job where I work from home, so I'll be doing more music listening than ever (from laptop/phone), pretty much all day. I want to invest in a good pair of headphones with a budget of $100. I am not specifically interested in one particular quality, just an overall best total package of comfort, sound, style, durability, etc. I mostly listen to hip hop and appreciate a good bass but by no means do i want a bass monster at all. I prefer a more balanced sound. I am currently looking at the Sony mdr-zx700, and since im pretty clueless when it comes to headphones I know you guys would do me a favor and give a thumbs up to these (for my needs) or steer me in the right direction. Much appreciated, thank you.

The ZX700 is reviewing quite well and I'm sure will serve you well.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #5,709 of 29,490

closed, around ear

hi-fidelity

ergonomics

affordability

product information:

Quote:
The HD280 have far better durability and isolation, and also fold up for portability purposes. The HD438 has better soundstage and less clamp, but rolls off a bit in the lows and highs.

Thanks, and I'd greately appreciate it if anyone else would like to share their opinion.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #5,710 of 29,490
After 10 years the cables are probably shot on one or both sides, most likely where they enter the cup. If you're able to use a soldering iron, you can just fix them on your own. Take the cups apart (a quick forum or google search will yield several pages and even videos), detach the wires, snip off a couple inches, strip off the ends to expose some wire, tie a knot, resolder, done.

For new headphones, there are many options... though finding the one that matches your preferences, well that's always the trick isn't it? Sennheiser are good all-rounders, although if you are accustomed to the Grado sound you might find them a bit muffled sounding. The AKG K701/K702/Q701 might be worth looking into. You might also consider an Ultrasone like the HFI2400 or Pro2900. In your price range, you're also within reach of the HE-4 orthodynamic.

I hope you don't mind me questioning your answers.  The Pro2900 is going for $600, and the HE-4 is $900, putting them well out my reach.  Has there been a sudden surge in pricing on these models, or am I just shopping in the wrong places (is there a good online shop)?  Also, how are their bass and overal tonal quality? 

Alas, my sodering skill sucks balls.  I'm afraid to damage them more than they already are.  No, I think the problem is farther down the cable actually, as there's this section of cable that is brick hard in one section three inches long in the middle of the cable and nowhere else. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #5,711 of 29,490

FiiO E7
iBasso D2
These are enough for the hd650?  I have the D10 at the moment...

Quote:

You can't get the HD800/LCD2/T1 for under $600, so let's just cut that out of consideration. They're all open anyways, so will not isolate as well as the M50. The full sized winged audio technicas all have below average isolation. They are also terrible for portable use as they are not very stable on the head and are not that durable.

If you're looking for a step up from the M50, maybe consider the Shure 940, Senn HD25-1-ii, Beyer DT1350, Pioneer HDJ-2000.

It should be fine, though a dedicated sound card or usb sound card would be a noticeable improvement.

FiiO E7
iBasso D2

The M50's are popular and will probably suit you better. The AD700 are not portable at all and don't isolate.

Can you tell us what you do have avaiilable in your area? Comfort is almost impossible to determine for other people, which is why I suggest trying out some headphones locally. At least try some within the same brand before ordering the more expensive ones online.

The ZX700 is reviewing quite well and I'm sure will serve you well.

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #5,712 of 29,490
@Vainkid

For the LOD, make sure you get the cryo frozen silver cables and 24k gold plated connectors.

For a Dap, the Clip+ will be fine, costs about $30 I think, actually the regular Clip is fine too, about $20.

You'll need a high end portable amplifier, be prepared to spend around $300.

Sennhesier HD600/650 is fine for a first headphone, just make sure (again) you upgrade the cables, it's much more practical than IEM's, and great for quality Flac listening on the go.

Hi bro, may I ask what's the DAP clip Thingy? I've read somewhere that the E11 is sufficient to bring out the potential of Hd600/650.

Correct me if I'm wrong thanks

Since you're starting out, scale back a bit. I say go with the HD598 and just play with it as is. Don't bother with upgrading cables or cryo or special materials anything. If you feel like you want some more power/volume (or want just a bit more push in the bass), get the e11 and just a regular lineout. Take the small steps so you can learn and hear for yourself what each step sounds like and what is worth the $ to you.

Hi bro thanks for the advice. Just wonder out of so many Sennheiser headset, why did u recommend HD598? I saw the specs of 598 it has some wooden parts. Is the headset sturdy and strong enough?

I've read somewhere that to maximize the ability I should add the DAC (E7). What's a DAC for?

Thanks

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #5,713 of 29,490
Hi everyone.

I currently have Sennheiser HD595s fed by a Beresford TC-7510 DAC / Littledot MKIII amp, mostly playing FLACs (many kinds of music) via Foobar(wasapi). I really enjoy this setup but I've had it a while and I would like to explore upgrade options. I would be looking to spend in the £200-£350 range for new headphones. Apart from cheap phones, I've only really had experience with the HD595s. Would the Senn HD650 or HD600 be a noticeable improvement on the HD595s, and in what way? Any other suggestions for new phones in my price range? Or should I look at upgrading the DAC instead?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #5,714 of 29,490
@ Vainkib, the HD650 is a great headphone that scales amazingly well to the quality of your components. If you decide to get them and put together a portable rig, please get your priorities right. Do not spend mega bucks on silver LOD's. Pour your funds into a quality amp, and get your hands on one of the very well made and very affordable FiiO LODs. You will get more substantial results.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #5,715 of 29,490
I am still looking for THE pair of cans that can end my quest for the perfect sound for the next couple of years (try-hard mode on!! :p).. I am willing to spend as much as a HE-500.. I was recommended the the HE 500 because the two main things I want from the headphone are less treble sharpness (not a lot less tho) and a more balanced, fuller sound (without losing much speed from the original HE5). my music preference is mainly electronica and rock, but jazz is okayy for me.

however the the guy who recommended the HE500 said that the LCD 2 maybe better for my music.. i was offered recently a used pair for around 800 bucks in very good condition. so in you guys' opinion, which one shud i get? 

and also, as i am used to listening to treble happy cans, (HE5, AD1000PRM, AKG K701), will the LCD sound very dark to my ears? I have listened to the HE5LE and i like it a lot (the HE5LE is the darkest sounding in the hifiman lineup)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back