++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 17, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #5,356 of 29,490
What model receiver?

Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade my hd280 pro headphones, and I have a few questions. I'm looking for the best cans strictly for music (ambient, indy, drone, jazz and a bit of edm) so movies and games aren't really considerations. I don't have a headphone amp, but I do have an old sony reciever from a htib that I'm currently using to drive my speakers. I don't know how useful it could be for headphones that benefit from an amp. My soundcard is an asus xonar d2x, not the stx unfortunately which does have a headphone amp.

I need tthem to be decently comfortable since I listen for pretty long stretches at a time, but on the other hand I've heard that my hd280s were tight, and yet I haven't had any issues with them. I'm willing to consider open cans, but I've never used open ones before, so I'm not sure how much sound leaks out from them since I live in an apartment. My max budget would be about $250-300 if they're really worth it, but right now I'm liking the Fischer FA-003 cans. I want to hear some suggestions before I order them though, as I'm far from an expert on headphones.

Edit: How safe is it to buy used ones? There are some rather cheap denon d2000 on amazon used.

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #5,359 of 29,490
I work out a lot in the gym and like to listen to my own kind of music, which is metal,punk and hardcore. So, basically, heavy music.

I have always been using in-ears on my Ipod (before creative zen). Got some midpriced sennheisers that did their job fine, but the problem is that the volume of the music in the gym is very loud lately. Crap music on tv's that gets my testosteron up due to the halfnakes ladies, but musicwise makes me wanna kill myself....

So I can either do what a lot of people do and turn up the volume of my inears but then I would be deaf quite soon. So what to do?

Some research led me to believe I best find a closed circumaural system, with some form of noise reduction. I also know you can buy custom made in-ears, and would like to know how you rate these two in comparison for the abovementioned purpose. I know the circumaural will be less comfortable training, but my workout usually does not involve a lot of sweat, just weights.

Perhaps I should get something else, so I gave you all my personal conditions the hp must fulfill. I am willing to spend no more than 300 dollars, hoping to stay uder 200. Of course, I know will never get a great audio experience in these conditions, but I am willing to at least try to enjoy my music and workout at the same time.

Your advice is much appreciated. And, please dont advise me to change gym :)

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #5,361 of 29,490
Hi everyone! great resource! I've been lurking here for a while now and I've gotten phones like the M50s thanks to a number of awesome threads and I'm completely thankful of following the site...

right now I'm looking for a good iem for regular use with good noise isolation, clarity and good bass,

I'm torn between getting the Westone 3 or the ATH CK10. due to their good build quality.

What should I get If i like listening to:
TV on the Radio
Justin Timberlake
Kanye West
65 days of Static
Oscar Peterson
Dave Brubeck
Earth Wind and Fire

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #5,363 of 29,490
Hi! I am looking for some advice on buying one of these headphones, or a similarly priced one if someone recommends it and I can find one for purchase:
  - Sennheiser HD428
  - AKG K99
  - Panasonic RP-HTF890
  - Sennheiser HD215
How do these compare in terms of sound quality, comfort, and production quality/durability ? I would prefer one that is not optimized too much for a particular style of music, but has overall better quality and wider/more even frequency response, without having to use an amplifier or equalization.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #5,364 of 29,490
Quote:
The Q40 is a fairly bassy headphone, though it rumbles more than punches. 

If you're gaming consists of FPS, you'll want something lighter on the bass. 

The DT880/770 have scooped out mids and strong bass and highs. The 770 is closed with excellent isolation. The 880 is semi-closed. Sonically I prefer the 880 over the 770 which feels too muffled for me. As far as I know, there is no sonic difference between the pro and premium models. The pro clamps harder (and thus more isolation for the 770), the premium looks nicer.

I do play FPS' but mainly it's RPG's for me. On that note i will probably end up getting the DT880 Premium 250 Ohm as i can find a pair for only £45 more than the DT770's. They also seem to be a great all-rounder with bass that won't muddy up some of the sounds like the DT770 can. Most reviews are excellent and i mentioned the 880's to the audio guys at work, they had nothing bad to say about them and said i would love them for pretty much everything.

I was lost in a sea of headphones and jargon that i couldn't make up my mind what was best for me. It seems i have a much better idea now than a few days ago and maybe an eventual purchase. Thanks for all your help Armaegis. Once i get them i will report back with some experiences.
dt880smile.png

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #5,365 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade my hd280 pro headphones, and I have a few questions. I'm looking for the best cans strictly for music (ambient, indy, drone, jazz and a bit of edm) so movies and games aren't really considerations. I don't have a headphone amp, but I do have an old sony reciever from a htib that I'm currently using to drive my speakers. I don't know how useful it could be for headphones that benefit from an amp. My soundcard is an asus xonar d2x, not the stx unfortunately which does have a headphone amp.

I need tthem to be decently comfortable since I listen for pretty long stretches at a time, but on the other hand I've heard that my hd280s were tight, and yet I haven't had any issues with them. I'm willing to consider open cans, but I've never used open ones before, so I'm not sure how much sound leaks out from them since I live in an apartment. My max budget would be about $250-300 if they're really worth it, but right now I'm liking the Fischer FA-003 cans. I want to hear some suggestions before I order them though, as I'm far from an expert on headphones.

Edit: How safe is it to buy used ones? There are some rather cheap denon d2000 on amazon used.

If you like the HD280, the step up would be the HD380 which I felt sounded better and more comfortable.

Open vs closed shouldn't matter in an apartment by yourself unless you're wearing Grados and have very thin walls.

The D2000 is a nice all-purpose headphone and fairly comfortable, if somewhat loose on the head. It also seals very poorly for a closed headphone, and leaks practically as much as an open one.

Buying used is always a risk. Read up on the seller feedback and take the usual precautions. There are also sale forums here to look through, as well as user feedback.

Quote:
Is the AKG K 701/702 worth upgrading to, coming from the AKG K 141 mk. II? 
Does the K 702 address on the common problems of the K 701 (driver, plastic parts, etc)?

EDIT: What do you think is better for all genres of music? AD1000PRM, W1000x, SRH940, K 701/2, or HD600? Would like to keep away from the first two Audio Technicas, since they are out of my budget, but if they are really twice/more than twice as good, then its ok.

For price/performance, I actually prefer the mid-level AKGs over the K701. The K702 does not differ significantly from the K701 other than with a removeable cord and you don't get the stand.

For all genres of music from that list, I would choose the HD600 or Shure 940.

Quote:
I work out a lot in the gym and like to listen to my own kind of music, which is metal,punk and hardcore. So, basically, heavy music.

I have always been using in-ears on my Ipod (before creative zen). Got some midpriced sennheisers that did their job fine, but the problem is that the volume of the music in the gym is very loud lately. Crap music on tv's that gets my testosteron up due to the halfnakes ladies, but musicwise makes me wanna kill myself....

So I can either do what a lot of people do and turn up the volume of my inears but then I would be deaf quite soon. So what to do?

Some research led me to believe I best find a closed circumaural system, with some form of noise reduction. I also know you can buy custom made in-ears, and would like to know how you rate these two in comparison for the abovementioned purpose. I know the circumaural will be less comfortable training, but my workout usually does not involve a lot of sweat, just weights.

Perhaps I should get something else, so I gave you all my personal conditions the hp must fulfill. I am willing to spend no more than 300 dollars, hoping to stay uder 200. Of course, I know will never get a great audio experience in these conditions, but I am willing to at least try to enjoy my music and workout at the same time.

Your advice is much appreciated. And, please dont advise me to change gym :)

IEMs will give you far better isolation than any headphone. Check out some of the offerings by Shure or Etymotic. You don't have to go into customs to get good isolation.

For headphones, you really want to avoid the full sized stuff. There's just too much that can snag or bump while doing weights, and they might not stay on properly while moving about unless you get something with high clamping force which will be uncomfortable when exercising. An ideal choice would be the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii. It's small and very rugged, has excellent isolation, and stays on very securely. The only downside is the long cord, though you can always buy a shorter one or snip it in half and attach a new plug yourself.

Quote:

Anything guys?

Have you tried searching through the sale forums here? There are plenty of people selling in Europe that you can look into.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #5,366 of 29,490

Quote:
For price/performance, I actually prefer the mid-level AKGs over the K701. The K702 does not differ significantly from the K701 other than with a removeable cord and you don't get the stand.

For all genres of music from that list, I would choose the HD600 or Shure 940.

How does the W1000x compare to those two?

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #5,367 of 29,490
Hi I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones that can be used without an amp. I will be using these headphones to use whilst travelling and I mainly listen to Hip Hop. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 25's but I find them really uncomfortable and I am looking to try and find a pair of headphones that match or exceed their sound quality but are much more comfortable. Could anyone help me find a pair of headphones that will be best for me, all help would be appreciated.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #5,368 of 29,490

iQuote:
Hi I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones that can be used without an amp. I will be using these headphones to use whilst travelling and I mainly listen to Hip Hop. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 25's but I find them really uncomfortable and I am looking to try and find a pair of headphones that match or exceed their sound quality but are much more comfortable. Could anyone help me find a pair of headphones that will be best for me, all help would be appreciated.

I have no experience to them, but the Ultrasone Pro 900 is fairly recommended here for its good bass output and decent comfort.  You might want to look at that.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #5,370 of 29,490
The Ultrasone Pro 750 is well within 200 Euros, and you have some spare ~30 Euros for a FiiO E5 + FiiO L9 LOD (if you are using an iPod/iPhone)
Take my opinions with a grain of salt, as I do not have experience with these cans. However, they look very durable, and very comfortable with those velour pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back