++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 16, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #5,341 of 29,490
Hi, looking for music (house, minimal etc.) and for few games closed headphones around 100$. M50 would be good for me, but noone sells them here (Lithuania), so shipping costs a lot and it's too expensive for me. Ultrasone HFI-450 - well that's probably what i want, but the same problem - can't find here where to buy :frowning2:      So maybe someone can tell me simmilar headphones to these?

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #5,344 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking to buy some new headphones with a budget of £100, because I am the clumsiest person in the world always twisiting my headphone wires I have no option but to go for wireless no matter what the audio quality difference. However I am not entirely sure what I should buy the two I have found are the Creative WP-350 's and the Philips SHB9001/00. If anyone could give me advice as to which I should go for, and their differences, It would be much appreciated 
beyersmile.png
. Thanks In Advance!!!

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #5,345 of 29,490
Hey all, been trolling the forums for along time but first time poster. I'm planning to grab a pair of cans and was wondering how much better are the Sennheiser hd558 compared to Sennheiser hd448 and is it worth the extra $150 (in New Zealand), and which of the 2 has the more punchy bass, i'm not a basshead but i do like some bass. Oh and I listen to all types of music and i mean ALL.
Thanx

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #5,346 of 29,490

The HD558 has more bass, but don't expect it to satiate basshead yearnings - it won't. Well, I suppose that won't be an issue since you stated you're not a basshead.

Quote:
Hey all, been trolling the forums for along time but first time poster. I'm planning to grab a pair of cans and was wondering how much better are the Sennheiser hd558 compared to Sennheiser hd448 and is it worth the extra $150 (in New Zealand), and which of the 2 has the more punchy bass, i'm not a basshead but i do like some bass. Oh and I listen to all types of music and i mean ALL.
Thanx

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #5,348 of 29,490
Quote:
What are the best cheap headphones around 20$?
I am thinking of buying the Koss KSC 75

Probably the KSC-75.  They sound good, not just good for the price.

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #5,349 of 29,490
Just spotted this thread. I'm looking to buy new cans for use at laptop/ipod touch/DJ Mixer with Vinyls(But not in a club environment/just home)/Yamaha Hifi receiver. I have a portable amp, so impedance doesnt matter. Pricerange is 50-150 Euros, I already have an amp (p2av2)
Source music is mp3 320kb/s,CD, vinyl, apple lossless and a few lower mp3s. Music Styles: HipHop, Indie, Electro, Jazz, female Voices(Adele eg.)
Normally I would try the M50s, but they are way much overpriced here in germany. Since i have a large head, I need large cans, Sennheiser HD 25-I won't work at all for me. I like a warm, touching sound with a little bass.
I looked some up:
CAL - The cheapest option, costs 60 €, seems to offer great bang for buck.
Shure 440 - around 80 €
Sennheiser 558 116€
Ultrasone 580 - 130 €
Sennheiser 595 - 140 €
Beyer DT770pro 80 Ohm - 150 € upper end of the price range
Any other suggestions in this price range? What would fill my needs?

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #5,350 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you.  I researched a bit more on this and I found Senn 280Pro, Shure 440 and Sony V6 all come with coiled cables, which should work well for me.  You think there are any more headphones in the 130$ range with coiled cables which I should look into? What's your opinion on Sony MDR V700? Thanks a bunch.

Also the Audio Technica M50. 

The V700 is another old staple. Good overall, though I would rank the others ahead of it.

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I have done a bit more research on headphones and i think i will get away with either a closed or open back pair in all honesty. When i game i'm usually on my own, so i don't think it will pose a problem there. Thinking about it, i will probably game more than i would listen to music and watch movies. I would like a good soundstage if thats possible, i would like better awareness in some games i play. Plus i didn't really clarify in my last post that im not a fan of too much bass; I would prefer a nice punch but nothing too serious to drown out some of the other audio. I have speakers if i wanted to listen to some heavy bass tracks (if they weren't so good with the phones for example) so thats not a massive issue for me.

The M-Audio Q40 has some great reviews do you know of any disadvantages it could have? Going off that, would you recommend any others that i didn't mention? Does going open/semi-open give me better options? I have read good things about the DT880 Premium for example. Also if you still recommend the DT770's which one would be best, the Pro or Premium?

Cheers for the information, greatly appreciated.

The Q40 is a fairly bassy headphone, though it rumbles more than punches. 

If you're gaming consists of FPS, you'll want something lighter on the bass. 

The DT880/770 have scooped out mids and strong bass and highs. The 770 is closed with excellent isolation. The 880 is semi-closed. Sonically I prefer the 880 over the 770 which feels too muffled for me. As far as I know, there is no sonic difference between the pro and premium models. The pro clamps harder (and thus more isolation for the 770), the premium looks nicer.

Quote:
Hmm, I found a DT880 32 ohms on ebay for a nice 229$ .. could it be the choice ??
or should I go with the 250 ohms one ?

That's a good price for them. If you only have an ipod, go with the 32. If you have something with a little more muscle, go with the 250. 

Quote:
Is there any phones that would top the Sennheiser HD25-1-II PRO in portability, sound quality and price under then £200 mark? It will replace my UE700s as I am getting tired of the cable noise when they grind against my cloths.

Maybe the Beyer DT1350? 

Quote:
I want to take another dip on this audio stuff, but i want it fast instead of waiting to get the HD-25s
biggrin.gif
Those will be my metal cans, but i hear so much hype about the Grado SR-80 that i want to get them. Recommended for rock/metal heavily, but then i was thinking of getting the AT AD700s or AKG 240s for classical.
Do i go with the Grados to see what the hype is about? I'm sure they'd be fine for classical, or go with something more tailored for that style?
I've also heard those AT/AKG cans can be good for gaming because of separation hmmmm.......sometimes i watch movies at night with headphones as well, would the SR-80s be good for that? I can always pick some up later to check them out i guess.
I would have to decide between the K240 and AD700, oh if only there were places where we could actually try them out.
smile_phones.gif

Grados play reasonably well for classical actually. The AD700 is excellent for gaming (FPS) and will give you the best directional cues, but the lowest bass. For overall listening, I would go with the K240. 

Quote:
This is now headphones advice for me.

I listen to nearly every genre imaginable really: Classical, metal (which includes a lot of subgenres like symphonic, doom and folk metal and many many more), funk, techno, dubstep, rock (including genres like indie rock and other things besides), pop (a few subgenres there like synthpop etc.), and many many other, as well as this I game quite a lot in my spare time. I don't discriminate about music genres, I am rather unbiased in my listening tastes.

I'm willing to spend up to $300, and I already have the ASUS Essence STX soundcard, so I can drive my headphones wonderfully. I was going to spend $150 on some AD700's for gaming, and get a pair of Senn 555's together and have two pairs of cans. But I haven't really researched much in the $300 range. Would there be any cans that people would recommend that can do everything I want musically (and if you have to choose, make it a headphone that does metal well as that is my main genre/subgenres) as well as for gaming (good soundstage and stuff)?

I'm perfectly happy to pickup two pairs of headphones, but I thought I'd do a bit of research into the $300 category first.

Alternatively as I'm upgrading from plantronics 367's (don't laugh), I doubt I'd notice the ad700's 'tinny' bass or any other cans tinny bass. So give me some recommendations for $300 gaming headphones, as well as general listening cans, as well as phones that do both well. It doesn't matter if they're open or closed as I'd use them pretty much just in the house.

Thanks guys.

Well you could always move up the chain with something like the AD900 or HD598. Also consider the AKG K701/702/Q701

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #5,351 of 29,490
Is Fournier HTA-1 (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494832/review-fournier-hta-1-hybrid-tube-amp-excellent-budget-amp) a good amp for headphones such as HD-650, AKG-701,Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 250/600, etc.
or any other good amp (prefer tube) around this price ($150 - $250, prefer not a chinese one)

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #5,352 of 29,490

Quote:
Is Fournier HTA-1 (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494832/review-fournier-hta-1-hybrid-tube-amp-excellent-budget-amp) a good amp for headphones such as HD-650, AKG-701,Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 250/600, etc.
or any other good amp (prefer tube) around this price ($150 - $250, prefer not a chinese one)

I'd also look at FIIO E7+E9 or the NFB-12. These are Chinese-manufactured, but there are local resellers in the states (assuming you live there).

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #5,353 of 29,490
Thank you for the advice Armaegis
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #5,354 of 29,490
I'm looking to upgrade my hd280 pro headphones, and I have a few questions. I'm looking for the best cans strictly for music (ambient, indy, drone, jazz and a bit of edm) so movies and games aren't really considerations. I don't have a headphone amp, but I do have an old sony reciever from a htib that I'm currently using to drive my speakers. I don't know how useful it could be for headphones that benefit from an amp. My soundcard is an asus xonar d2x, not the stx unfortunately which does have a headphone amp.

I need tthem to be decently comfortable since I listen for pretty long stretches at a time, but on the other hand I've heard that my hd280s were tight, and yet I haven't had any issues with them. I'm willing to consider open cans, but I've never used open ones before, so I'm not sure how much sound leaks out from them since I live in an apartment. My max budget would be about $250-300 if they're really worth it, but right now I'm liking the Fischer FA-003 cans. I want to hear some suggestions before I order them though, as I'm far from an expert on headphones.

Edit: How safe is it to buy used ones? There are some rather cheap denon d2000 on amazon used.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #5,355 of 29,490
Is the AKG K 701/702 worth upgrading to, coming from the AKG K 141 mk. II? 
Does the K 702 address on the common problems of the K 701 (driver, plastic parts, etc)?

EDIT: What do you think is better for all genres of music? AD1000PRM, W1000x, SRH940, K 701/2, or HD600? Would like to keep away from the first two Audio Technicas, since they are out of my budget, but if they are really twice/more than twice as good, then its ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back