++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 14, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #5,326 of 29,490
As a PC gamer and music listener, I recently bought an Asus Xonar D2X, which was my first ever dedicated sound card (I'm a little ashamed to say on these forums :p), and the quality compared to integrated blew me away.

Now though, I want a decent set of headphones to go with them. They won't be moved around at all, I just need them to be as comfortable as possible as I will have them on probably ~8 hours a day, with work and play, and have the best sound quality possible, around £50-60, but may be able to stretch a little more depending on money closer to the time.

Finally, where is a good place to buy audio gear in the UK? I know places like Amazon and Play will probably sell them, but as someone that builds computers, I know that shops dedicated to selling hardware are better than your "jack of all trade" e-tailers like Amazon, so I assume this will also be the case with audio hardware, that the shops will have a much wider selection and probably much better prices and support too.

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #5,328 of 29,490
Hey, all! I'm new here and I need some advise

Now, I listen to very little rap and classical music and mostly listen to electronic music, classic rock, some modern rock and a fair amount of folk music.

I'm looking for circumaural sets that give sound isolation that are under $120 US.

Any suggestions would be great

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #5,329 of 29,490
Hey guys,
I love this forum ,, great INFO and reviews

- Just looking for an all around cans mainly for music (all genres) .. for 240$ max.
- Comfort is important ,, as I am planning to use it for extending listening sessions.
- Clamping force should be moderate ,, my main source is my PC ,, not portable on the move.
- I'v got an ASUS Xonar Essence STX ,, which has a built-in AMP ,, good enough I suppose.
- I don't care a lot about noise canceling .. so be it open or closed ,, its OK ,, I just want the best my money can buy.

Thank you in advance

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #5,330 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks.  Is it easy to change the pads?  Are the 840/DT250 pads expensive?  Also, aren't the V6 and 7506 the same headphones? I might be wrong, though.

Pads are typically around $20-30 and aren't too hard to change. Getting the old ones off is easy, getting the new ones on might take a bit more patience.

The V6/7506 are reportedly the same, though some might say otherwise. Either way, the V6 are usually cheaper to find.

Quote:
As a PC gamer and music listener, I recently bought an Asus Xonar D2X, which was my first ever dedicated sound card (I'm a little ashamed to say on these forums :p), and the quality compared to integrated blew me away.

Now though, I want a decent set of headphones to go with them. They won't be moved around at all, I just need them to be as comfortable as possible as I will have them on probably ~8 hours a day, with work and play, and have the best sound quality possible, around £50-60, but may be able to stretch a little more depending on money closer to the time.

Finally, where is a good place to buy audio gear in the UK? I know places like Amazon and Play will probably sell them, but as someone that builds computers, I know that shops dedicated to selling hardware are better than your "jack of all trade" e-tailers like Amazon, so I assume this will also be the case with audio hardware, that the shops will have a much wider selection and probably much better prices and support too.

The Audio Technica AD700/700 is one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. However, many will find them a bit too light in the bass end. The humble little Sennheiser PX100 (and 100-ii) is also superbly comfortable.

Quote:

I've heard/owned all of them and my favourite sonically is the Shure 840.

Quote:
Hey, all! I'm new here and I need some advise

Now, I listen to very little rap and classical music and mostly listen to electronic music, classic rock, some modern rock and a fair amount of folk music.

I'm looking for circumaural sets that give sound isolation that are under $120 US.

Any suggestions would be great

Shure 440 or Sony V6/7506 would be top picks and are easy to find. 

Quote:
Hey guys,
I love this forum ,, great INFO and reviews

- Just looking for an all around cans mainly for music (all genres) .. for 240$ max.
- Comfort is important ,, as I am planning to use it for extending listening sessions.
- Clamping force should be moderate ,, my main source is my PC ,, not portable on the move.
- I'v got an ASUS Xonar Essence STX ,, which has a built-in AMP ,, good enough I suppose.
- I don't care a lot about noise canceling .. so be it open or closed ,, its OK ,, I just want the best my money can buy.

Thank you in advance

random suggestions:
AKG K240
Phiaton PS500
Beyer DT880

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #5,331 of 29,490

Thank you.  I researched a bit more on this and I found Senn 280Pro, Shure 440 and Sony V6 all come with coiled cables, which should work well for me.  You think there are any more headphones in the 130$ range with coiled cables which I should look into? What's your opinion on Sony MDR V700? Thanks a bunch.
Quote:

Pads are typically around $20-30 and aren't too hard to change. Getting the old ones off is easy, getting the new ones on might take a bit more patience.

The V6/7506 are reportedly the same, though some might say otherwise. Either way, the V6 are usually cheaper to find.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #5,332 of 29,490
Quote:
In a very general sense, you can infer that the higher impedance headphones will have a better general response... assuming your amp has enough grunt to properly drive it (and the higher the impedance, the more difficult it is to drive properly... though it should be noted that the opposite is also sometimes true). In practical matters, it makes very little difference to the general consumer unless you're specifically comparing back and forth between the different models and know exactly what to listen for. For pro-audio usage there are some advantages to a higher impedance rating, but once again at consumer level those points are moot

For headphones, the Audio Technicas are great for gaming but not for big bass. The DT990 is semi-open. The DT770 is closed and bassy, but the soundstage is lacking and the bass does muddy up directional cues. The HDJ1000 is a decent all-rounder, though has some durability issues. If I had to choose from that list, I would go with the DT770. 

Other suggestions: Fostex T40 or T50, M-Audio Q40

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I have done a bit more research on headphones and i think i will get away with either a closed or open back pair in all honesty. When i game i'm usually on my own, so i don't think it will pose a problem there. Thinking about it, i will probably game more than i would listen to music and watch movies. I would like a good soundstage if thats possible, i would like better awareness in some games i play. Plus i didn't really clarify in my last post that im not a fan of too much bass; I would prefer a nice punch but nothing too serious to drown out some of the other audio. I have speakers if i wanted to listen to some heavy bass tracks (if they weren't so good with the phones for example) so thats not a massive issue for me.

The M-Audio Q40 has some great reviews do you know of any disadvantages it could have? Going off that, would you recommend any others that i didn't mention? Does going open/semi-open give me better options? I have read good things about the DT880 Premium for example. Also if you still recommend the DT770's which one would be best, the Pro or Premium?

Cheers for the information, greatly appreciated.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #5,333 of 29,490

Quote:

random suggestions:
AKG K240
Phiaton PS500
Beyer DT880

Hmm, I found a DT880 32 ohms on ebay for a nice 229$ .. could it be the choice ??
or should I go with the 250 ohms one ?

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #5,334 of 29,490
Is there any phones that would top the Sennheiser HD25-1-II PRO in portability, sound quality and price under then £200 mark? It will replace my UE700s as I am getting tired of the cable noise when they grind against my cloths.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #5,335 of 29,490
I want to take another dip on this audio stuff, but i want it fast instead of waiting to get the HD-25s
biggrin.gif
Those will be my metal cans, but i hear so much hype about the Grado SR-80 that i want to get them. Recommended for rock/metal heavily, but then i was thinking of getting the AT AD700s or AKG 240s for classical.
Do i go with the Grados to see what the hype is about? I'm sure they'd be fine for classical, or go with something more tailored for that style?
I've also heard those AT/AKG cans can be good for gaming because of separation hmmmm.......sometimes i watch movies at night with headphones as well, would the SR-80s be good for that? I can always pick some up later to check them out i guess.
I would have to decide between the K240 and AD700, oh if only there were places where we could actually try them out.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #5,337 of 29,490
This is now headphones advice for me.

I listen to nearly every genre imaginable really: Classical, metal (which includes a lot of subgenres like symphonic, doom and folk metal and many many more), funk, techno, dubstep, rock (including genres like indie rock and other things besides), pop (a few subgenres there like synthpop etc.), and many many other, as well as this I game quite a lot in my spare time. I don't discriminate about music genres, I am rather unbiased in my listening tastes.

I'm willing to spend up to $300, and I already have the ASUS Essence STX soundcard, so I can drive my headphones wonderfully. I was going to spend $150 on some AD700's for gaming, and get a pair of Senn 555's together and have two pairs of cans. But I haven't really researched much in the $300 range. Would there be any cans that people would recommend that can do everything I want musically (and if you have to choose, make it a headphone that does metal well as that is my main genre/subgenres) as well as for gaming (good soundstage and stuff)?

I'm perfectly happy to pickup two pairs of headphones, but I thought I'd do a bit of research into the $300 category first.

Alternatively as I'm upgrading from plantronics 367's (don't laugh), I doubt I'd notice the ad700's 'tinny' bass or any other cans tinny bass. So give me some recommendations for $300 gaming headphones, as well as general listening cans, as well as phones that do both well. It doesn't matter if they're open or closed as I'd use them pretty much just in the house.

Thanks guys.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #5,338 of 29,490
Koss PRODJ 100, Ultrasone DJ1, Shure 440, or Sony V700?

I'll be using the cans as portable headphones, but I don't care about size or cord length.  Would like lots of bass, but balanced as well.  Must work well with iPod Classic; by that, I mean my iPod has to be able to provide enough power to the headphones.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #5,339 of 29,490

Quote:
Koss PRODJ 100, Ultrasone DJ1, Shure 440, or Sony V700?

I'll be using the cans as portable headphones, but I don't care about size or cord length.  Would like lots of bass, but balanced as well.  Must work well with iPod Classic; by that, I mean my iPod has to be able to provide enough power to the headphones.

I believe the Koss PRODJ100's need to be amped for it to sound good so I would not recommend getting that without an amp.

Ultrasone DJ1/HFI-580 is known to be "the basshead audiophile headphone" (which is a good thing if you like lots of bass).

The Shure 440's are also well received here but I think they're lacking "lots of bass" and are more balanced than the DJ1's.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #5,340 of 29,490
I find that Grados are quite hyped with metal music.  I have a pair of SR-60is and my Sennheiser HD595s blow them out of the water.  Also, do you have amplification or not?  The Grados are great if not.  For your total budget you could get the HD595s or the HD598.  They are, in a way, the Grado of Sennheisers if that makes any sense.

Quote:
I want to take another dip on this audio stuff, but i want it fast instead of waiting to get the HD-25s
biggrin.gif
Those will be my metal cans, but i hear so much hype about the Grado SR-80 that i want to get them. Recommended for rock/metal heavily, but then i was thinking of getting the AT AD700s or AKG 240s for classical.
Do i go with the Grados to see what the hype is about? I'm sure they'd be fine for classical, or go with something more tailored for that style?
I've also heard those AT/AKG cans can be good for gaming because of separation hmmmm.......sometimes i watch movies at night with headphones as well, would the SR-80s be good for that? I can always pick some up later to check them out i guess.
I would have to decide between the K240 and AD700, oh if only there were places where we could actually try them out.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back