++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 9, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #5,252 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok, I have done quite a bit of research towards getting what I want out of one or two pairs of cans but I would still like some input from the folks here. I mainly listen to big band jazz and techno, I also want a pair of phones that I can use in places other than my home. I'm looking for something that can really bring out all of the tones in the jazz as it has a wide range of frequencies. Most importantly I want something that would bring out the highs a bit above the rest, for this I'm thinking sennheiser hd 650's. As for the techno with the low electronic bass and all that I figure that the hd 650's are not going to cut it. So I thought that the shure srh840's would be a good choice considering I don't have loads of money to spend. However, I have heard good things about the bass as well as the mids and treble in the denon d2000's. I have also heard that they do not isolate very well and as such I might not be able to use them in public places. Would it be worth it in the long run though to just go for the d2k's instead of the srh840's? Also, I would also like suggestions on what amp/dac to buy as I do not yet have one. I for the time being I plan to source these from my htc evo, ipod touch 2g and my old compaq laptop. Eventually I would like to upgrade my source, and ideas there?

So, that's about it. Sorry for the one long paragraph. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Both SRH840 & D2000 are great.  Choose the former if you need isolation and better overall tonal balance/accuracy, the latter if you want more bass emphasis and much bigger soundstage.  If you eventually want to upgrade your source, I'd consider a good but cheap dac (e.g. udac) and rca cables to your stereo amplifier.  Both headphones sound good without amplification, but do improve with an amp.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #5,253 of 29,490
I hope you are happy Head-fiers. You have infected another person with the head-fi bug. I have finally made my decision and purchased the AKG Q 701. I could not be happier. The depth of detail and fullness of sound is better than I though. Now I just need an amp/dac (probably E7). Bad part is now my IEMs sound like mud in comparison and of course I want new ones, haha. I only have a few hours of listening to them but like I said couldn't be happier. Review to come after a few more days of listening. Thanks for all the info and help. Hopefully I'll be able to give back to you all with my expanding knowledge. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #5,254 of 29,490
time for a flat set of phones! tired of everything having such recessed mids.  what's a decent open back set of phones with a more flat eq, i like treble and bass but im really looking to hear some rich mids in my music now.  AKG 701? grado's?

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #5,256 of 29,490
I would never pair the Q701 (just a K701 with a paintjob) with the E7. Consider the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1. 

Quote:
I hope you are happy Head-fiers. You have infected another person with the head-fi bug. I have finally made my decision and purchased the AKG Q 701. I could not be happier. The depth of detail and fullness of sound is better than I though. Now I just need an amp/dac (probably E7). Bad part is now my IEMs sound like mud in comparison and of course I want new ones, haha. I only have a few hours of listening to them but like I said couldn't be happier. Review to come after a few more days of listening. Thanks for all the info and help. Hopefully I'll be able to give back to you all with my expanding knowledge. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #5,257 of 29,490
Bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-SJ5 and a Fiio E5 (source is weak on the volume side) and have been enjoying my foray so far into beginner audiophilia. Next stop is an E7 for my desktop (have electromagnetic interference from my CPU in my integrated sound card headphone out, I thought it was from my old headphones but it's in every device) followed by a new pair of headphones. I see the ATH-M50 are incredibly popular in these parts and I can't say I'd mind another Audio Technica product (quite fancy their logo).

How much bigger are they than the SJ5s? Do you people wear them on the street/metro/train? What's an elegant solution for lugging around the 3.5 meter long cable? I've already found the thread with the head-fier that was testing them for cross-talk, and I'm handy with a soldering unit, but I want some more input on this issue; do I cut at the headphone end? The jack end? (I wouldn't want to lose the smart 3.5/quarter inch screw-on jack) Is the sound quality gap that big that I'd be convinced to want to carry them around with me instead of my SJ5s?

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #5,258 of 29,490

Quote:
Hm, I have been looking into the Grado SR-325i...

What desktop/portable amp would pair well with these?

i have been using my NFB-12 dac/amp for portable use i have a cowon j3 and mini^3.  i will most likely eventually get a soha ii desktop amp though.

really looking for wide sound stage, rich mids but i dont want rolled off bass or treble either if possible.  so preferrably open back.  I need something to compliment my ultrasone pro 900's.

would grado or AKG be my piece of cake?

anything like this that can be had for $300 or under?

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #5,259 of 29,490
Hi, I'm faaaaaaar from an audiophile (I've been using these stock apple earphones for 2 years) and I'm sick of the quality of these earphones. I was wondering if someone could recommend headphones for a casual listener like me? I have glasses and I run as well so I'd prefer over the ear headphones. Also, a cord that isn't long would be nice. That's the whole reason why I don't want to get the Sony MDR-V6' because that 10 ft cord is literally twice my size.

ALSO, I'm looking for the most natural sound possible. I despise really overpowering bass so yeah. :/

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #5,260 of 29,490
Hello people. I am a complete noob in terms of entering the audiophile scene, would love some help in picking headphones for both music and gaming. I currently play in a couple of leagues, so I need headset that can provide me with good clear sound, with optimal postioning. Along with this I listen to a large variety music (Pop, Dnb, Country, Classic, Rock and Electronic).

From what I've seen and research i've come up with two headphones:

AKG 701

AD700 Audio Technica

To power the AKG I would use to the Fiio E9 + Mixamp

For AD700 I have heard they do not really benefit from amps, so would be looking at a strong sound card (suggestions?)

What would be better for value for money? I would love to get everything out of my music, the AD700 being cheaper makes alot better option for me. Would the AKG701 perform alot better for the added price tag?

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #5,262 of 29,490
I am not a expert on that type of things, but I heard hdtracks.com sells such files, if you define high quality as something like 24bit/96kHz. If you are just searching for usual FLACs and nicely ripped mp3's and other lossy formats, try visiting what.cd and waffles.fm. Those are trackers though, not shops.
PS: I hope it is not considered advertising. Please remove my post if it is.

Quote:
this doesn't exactly fit the topic, but it is a noob question and its probably better to ask here that start a new thread about it. Where are the best places to find high quality music files?

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #5,265 of 29,490
Is there a difference between these webpages? I think they're the same model headphone but they're nearly $100 apart for some reason...

http://www.amazon.com/ULTRASONE-DJ-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000GUBPJ4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1310337929&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-DJ1-PRO-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101TBB2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310337929&sr=8-2

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the answer to my question. They were sold by different vendors; the first link was from 8th Street Music while the second link was from Amazon.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back