++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 3, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #5,131 of 29,490
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Lighten up. Take a look at the title of this very thread.

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #5,132 of 29,490
hey guys, the hd 580 is basically hd 600 in a different housing rite? someone offered me his with a cardas silver cable for 230, do you think thats a good deal? sonically, what would the cable do to the hd 580 (which i know sounds pretty much the same as the hd600)

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #5,133 of 29,490
Hey everyone, thinking of buying a pair of headphones (this will actually be my first) and I need some help deciding on what to get.

They'll be used primarily for gaming (PC, PS3, 360, PSP, and 3DS) and listening to podcasts/music (PC and iPhone) and will leave the house with me.

I'm not picky about brand or any of that I just want an all around good pair of headphones. My budget is $200.

Thanks for y'all's help! 

[size=medium]Edit: [size=13.5pt]Forgot to mention that I don't need a microphone. If it comes with a detachable one that's cool, if not that's cool too. [/size][/size]

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #5,134 of 29,490

Quote:
hey guys, the hd 580 is basically hd 600 in a different housing rite? someone offered me his with a cardas silver cable for 230, do you think thats a good deal? sonically, what would the cable do to the hd 580 (which i know sounds pretty much the same as the hd600)

If you're just getting started, don't start paying extra for cable upgrades and stuff.  Stick to building a solid source/amp/headphone combo first.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #5,135 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Attractive People On This Site,
          As you can probably already surmise from the thread, I'm taking my first stride towards audiophiledom and am looking to grab my first real set of cans :D

I listen to mainly Alt Rock, Indie, Jazz, and some old-school Funk, and my sources are currently my iPod and my laptop.

As far as sound goes, Im mainly looking for something that really complements the instrumentation and has a warm feel with less stress on crystal-clear vocals and any sets with really neutral sound are not my cup of tea :p so Ive been considering various models under $150 (Amazon is taking 30% off people's bills for the 4th of July) :

- Grado SR60i
- Creative Aurvana Live! 
- Shure SRH440
- AKG K240
- anything Koss (Iifetime warranty means quality bang for buck and durability)
- AKG K430
- ATH-M50

I need your advice ASAP since the sale only lasts so long :) and any other cans that should be of interest to me?

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #5,136 of 29,490
Hey guys, I don't know anything about headphones so bear with me. I bought a pair of beats in march 2010 and they broke today. Any recommendations for good headphones under $400? I listen to Alt Rock, Hip-Hop, Techno, R'n'B and Indie. I'll mainly be listening to music from my iPhone 4. Any help is appreciated.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #5,137 of 29,490

Quote:
If you're just getting started, don't start paying extra for cable upgrades and stuff.  Stick to building a solid source/amp/headphone combo first.

Well my setup is an entry level marantz cd player > Hifiman EF5 > Hifiman HE-5 (Black Dragon cable).. I also have an AD1000PRM and ill probably pickup an audio-gd DAC soon.. i jus want something a bit different with the sound sig :)

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #5,138 of 29,490
I am considering getting the Beyer DT660's. Seems to be a closed, budget and full-sized Beyer. Pity I can't find conclusive impressions of it. Has anyone heard of it? And are Beyer's cheaper in their home country - I may get a relative who is going to Germany to get them for me. The DT770's and above are out of my price range. I can't really stand too much bass quantity - always found myself very sensitive to it. Can anyone comment on the sound signature, and if they have a large genre bandwidth? From what I've read, it sounds like a closed Grado that is more neutral and more bass quantity, with a larger soundstage. They seem to be rarely discussed here in favour of the 770, 880, 990 and the Tesla's. Oh, and the build quality if possible.

Otherwise, I'll just get the MDR-ZX700 - the Innerfidelity review has just about convinced me to get it retail, particularly because of the palatable pricetag. 

Thanks!

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #5,139 of 29,490
Hey guys, looking for some help regarding a headphones purchase...

i need some headphones (preferably non the inner ear ones) for use 99% of the time on an IPOD, mainly hiphop and reggae.

my budget is 100-300 dollars (yep im poor)...

previously i have been very impressed with grado sr60s many years back, and have some sennheiser hd 555 now but they are too clunky to carry around to uni etc.

what can you guys recommend? had a quick look through the forums seems u guys like the more high end stuff, but i bow to your superior knowledge and ask if perhaps you could enlighten me on the cheaper options that arent too big and sound good!

thanks alot

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #5,140 of 29,490
Quote:
I am considering getting the Beyer DT660's. Seems to be a closed, budget and full-sized Beyer. Pity I can't find conclusive impressions of it. Has anyone heard of it? And are Beyer's cheaper in their home country - I may get a relative who is going to Germany to get them for me. The DT770's and above are out of my price range. I can't really stand too much bass quantity - always found myself very sensitive to it. Can anyone comment on the sound signature, and if they have a large genre bandwidth? From what I've read, it sounds like a closed Grado that is more neutral and more bass quantity, with a larger soundstage. They seem to be rarely discussed here in favour of the 770, 880, 990 and the Tesla's. Oh, and the build quality if possible.

There's this and this if you haven't seen them already.  That's about all I know about them.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #5,142 of 29,490

Thanks so much! Well, they look more appealing now. Though, my musical tastes are pretty wide, so I am not sure if I can tolerate the emphasized treble, especially if I am listening to brighter stuff like JPop. Nevertheless, I do not think the lack of bass will irritate me. I found even the pretty neutral SRH440's to have too much bass on some recordings, so it's all good. I guess I'll first audititon what is easier to obtain (MDR-ZX700) first, then proceed to get the Beyer's if I am unimpressed. One final question: Can anybody from Germany confirm if cans made there or from brands based there are cheaper. Thanks again!
Quote:
There's this and this if you haven't seen them already.  That's about all I know about them.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #5,143 of 29,490

Hi guys, I'm a newbie around here... and I'd like some advice of you guys. A few months ago I discovered I'm an audiophile... (or a wannabe LOL), and I'm currently looking for some good closed headphones. My budget is 100~120. So long, browsing and comparing lots of headphones I've reduced my options to this:

Audiotechnica M50S
Sennheiser 280 PRO
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD448

I currently own a pair of HD202's Sennheisers. I remember the first time I used them, I was upgrading from a pair of supraaural Sennheisers HD218 (yeah, I'm kinda loving the brand LOL), and the difference was great for me, I discovered I love good bass (not as much to get dre's beats or sony xbs).

I use them mainly in my portable MP3 player (a samsung T10), also in my laptop and desktop PC outputs. I listen all kinds of music (latin, rock, metal, electronic, rap, classical, etc). Anyways, the characteristics I'm looking for are:

- Sound isolation (both it and out, specially out) since I use them mainly at my university's classrooms, library and public transport.
- Good bass (at least equal to HD202's)
- A comfortable fit (The main reason I wanna change my HD202's is that its not totally circumaural and I get a little ear sore after wearing them for a couple hours)
- Portability

And of course, better overall sound quality.

I hope you guys own/know some of these headphones so you can help me out and make a good choice, thanks in advance!

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #5,144 of 29,490
They're pretty much the same, apart from some minor differences. Silver cables reportedly increase the treble a bit.

Quote:

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #5,145 of 29,490

Good Day experts, can anyone suggest a good set of cans for the following details? To be honest, I'm not an audiophile, I haven't owned a pair of decent headphones my entire life, only settling for Apple's stock earphones. I have wanted to buy a pair for almost a month now, but the only thing stopping me is too much time spent reading on forums. So please please, someone just seal the deal! 

MUSIC GENRE I LISTEN TO: 

1. 50% House / Club / Dance / Trance - mostly Hed Kandi, Ministry of Sound etc. 
  2. 30% Alternative / Rock - but not as far as Heavy Metal. 
  3. 20% Everything Else - from pop/classical/to whatever is played today

PORTABLE: No need. Circumaural please.

PRICE RANGE: $90-less, separate budget from my amp.

AMPED: For now none, but I'm planning to get a FiiO E11

CLOSED / OPEN: Definitely CLOSED. Can't afford sound leakage (see where I'll use them).

WHERE I'LL USE THEM: Office, Coffee Shop, Home. 

WHAT I USE TO PLAY MUSIC: Laptop (Lenovo Y450 if u must know), iPod Touch 4G

WHAT I'M EYEING AFTER READING STUFF: 

1. Sennheiser HD438 (originally HD448, but they say the bass is weaker than HD438)
  2. Audio Technica stuff, not sure yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back