++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 3, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #5,116 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm assuming half the post is a joke. The first product is a laughable USB "gaming" headset, while the second far exceeds the budget specified by TheBozz.

EDIT: So, besides being USB, that headset is also wireless? And a third link to wireless headphones
confused.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #5,117 of 29,490
hes looking for a gaming headset

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #5,118 of 29,490
He's looking for closed gaming headphones, never mentioned headset. And why did you come up with wireless headset/headphones?

@TheBozz: You might want to take a look at this thread.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #5,119 of 29,490

Quote:
He's looking for closed gaming headphones, never mentioned headset. And why did you come up with wireless headset/headphones?

@TheBozz: You might want to take a look at this thread.

*shrug*

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #5,121 of 29,490
200 aparently , that is pretty low huh?

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #5,123 of 29,490
Hi it's me again!

I have been able to make up my mind on what kind of sound I may prefer so I'm back in need for more help!

Link to my original post.

I want a relatively balanced headphone (no huge dips or crazy emphasis on a particular area) with a present bass that gives a nice thump to kick drums without being too overpowering on the other frequencies.

Mids shouldn't be recessed or at least the less recessed the better.

Also a decent to wide soundstage.

My budget now is around 600€/540£/870$. (I prefer to buy in the UK or Europe to avoid import taxes, but if the price is really good and it's still lower than what I can find in Europe once the taxes are added I will buy from outside the EU no problem)

That can be spent either on just a headphone or a headphone and amp combo.

In my original post you can see I already have a vintage amp, although I'm not sure how it may keep up, as far as power it should have plenty it's more the sound that I'm not sure about as I can't test it (yet) with good headphones or compare it to other amps.

I had my eyes on the Hifiman HE-4, are there better more suitable alternatives?

Thanks again for your help!

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #5,125 of 29,490
my bad thought u knew how to use the SEARCH feature.

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #5,126 of 29,490
I really can't decide between JVC ha-s600 and 650. 600 has 40 mm driver and 650 has 36 mm driver.
650 is only 8 pounds more expensive than 600. They both are stylish to my eyes.
I have read their reviews on head-fi. But still can't decide. I mostly listen to metal,rap, pop and electronic music. 
I want a noise isolating headphone but i want to hear a bit of traffic noise.
I don't feel safe if i don't hear a bit of traffic noise while i'm walking. Please tell me which one is better.
This gonna be my 1st over 5 pounds worth headphone. I'm going to buy as soon as i got a reply. :) can't wait.

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #5,128 of 29,490

Audio Techinica ATHM50+DT 250 velour pads

Sennheiser HD 595

Ultrasone HFI-780

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250ohm

Im looking for clarity and comfort, and with some good overnight stretching for a week, i think i can make them ultrasone and audio technicas comfortable? right guys?

So yea im looking for decent bass response and a decent soundstage

and one more question none of these need amps right?

listening from a zune player from my phone

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #5,129 of 29,490
Yikes backlog. I'll get a few now; catch up later tonight...

Quote:
I love my HD380s in terms of sound and isolation, but the comfort leaves much to be desired. In particular, they press on one spot on my jaw that can actually become painful after a while.
I have tried other headphones such as the A900s that are more comfortable, but I don't like the sound as much.
Is there a way to modify the 380s for a better fit?
Alternatatively, are there phones with similar sound and isolation but more comfortable?

You can always try loosening the clamp by stretching the headband a little bit (either over a stack of books for a couple days) or *very* carefully bending the band by hand. You can also try softening the pads by very gently washing them, but I'm not sure if that is possible with the HD380 pads.

The HD380 are really up there in terms of isolation. Other cans to consider: Senn HD280, HD25-1-ii, Beyer DT770, B&W P5. The closest in terms of sound would be the HD280 and maybe the P5.

Quote:
Hi everyone...

I'm looking to jump into the audiophile world, and need some good phones. I want to be able to feel the guitars, and notice details never heard in my music. 
beyersmile.png

I listen primarily to hard rock, rock, alternative, some metal and blues. 

I've got around 200$ to spend, and don't mind if the phone is closed or open, but they should sound at least decent unamped from my MacBook Pro and upscale nicely.

The question: WHAT SHOULD I GET?

Contenders:

Grado Sr225i - (might be too bright, fatiguing) 
Sennheiser 598 - (maybe not bassy enough for the music)
Maybe Beyer's?
Maybe other Senn?

Thanks a ton in advance!

I would suggest starting with a Grado SR60 or 80 (or Alessandro MS1). They're cheap and easy to mod to change sound characteristics. I also like the Phiaton MS30 which has some nice energy to it.

Quote:
Hello Head-fi community!

Looking for a new portable setup.  I listen to mostly orchestral music (19th/20th century).  At home I run ATH A900 through my computer.  I REALLY like how these cans sound.  They're just a little bit bulky for portable use (cord is way too long to walk around with!)...I also don't think the ATH A900 sound too good running directly out of my 160gb iPod classic, which is what I use on the go.  I probably need a closed headphone to reduce external noise.  Any suggestions?  Max price is $500 total.  I would be more than willing to invest in headphones AND a portable amp and LOD if needed.  There are so many amps out there; it's difficult to know what to look for.
The only cans I'm considering at this point are Senn HD25...and MAYBE the AKG K271 - but those look pretty bulky like my Audio Techinicas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you like the A900 sound, consider the ESW9a. Similar Audio Technica sound but not as resonant as the A900. They are very light and portable, great sound, moderate isolation, and very easy to drive (no external amping required).

Quote:
Hello everyone. I need some new headphones. I will use them on my computer (which has a SupremeFX II integrated sound card, which is just ok), and on my PS3 (connected to the PS3's red and white cables using an adaptor). They have to be good for gaming (immersive sound and possibility to pinpoint the source of sounds), comfortable (I often spend most of the day on my computer either playing or listening to music, up to 10 hours a day), and with good bass for music (I like to feel powerful basses when I listen to trance, dance, hardstyle, but I also listen to classical and instrumental, so the sound has to be balanced but with good basses). I can't spend more than 200€.

I'd rather get a pair of headphones from one of these brands: AKG, Sennheiser or Sony, because every other brand in my country is overpriced. I won't be using an amp, but I might get one if you recommend me a pair of headphones that really benefit from an amp, but the price won't exceed 200€ (don't think
this is even possible).

I currently have a pair of 3 years old crappy Creative Fatality, I think the basses on those are decent, but everything else is terrible. I also had a pair of Audio Technica M50, but I returned them because I had buyers remorse, I paid almost 200€ for them and they failed to "wow" me, they also felt pretty uncomfortable and heavy. I listen mostly to MP3 music encoded at 320Kbps from CDs.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation.

First of all, you can't have both powerful bass and pinpoint positioning (not within your budget) because bass tends to onscure directional cues. Consider getting two headphones... something like a Senn 555/558 for gaming, and a Sony XB500/700 for music. Yould be able to get both and stay within budget.

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD558 for $125. It's on sale here in Canada for the Canada's Day holiday. Probably going to use it for movies and gaming. How do they compare to the HD555? I heard the HD555 are pretty good for gaming.

A bit late to answer, but that's a fantastic price for the 558 in Canada. Actually, that's so low I almost consider it "too good to be true". Make sure it's the 558 and not the 555 if you haven't already bought it.

Quote:
I will come here for amp advice. Ok so I currently have a headfive. Ive sort of been hankering for a new DAC since im currently running an xfi xtrememusic which was like among the first of the xfi branding. I think I might set my max budget to 500 on amp if its like combo with a DAC as long as its worth it. Otherwise, a standalone amp budget would be like 300-350. Also I am not really a fan of tube amps cause I really dont care for replacing a freaking tube. yaya call me lazy

Looking for something that would work great with my dt990/600 and my ms2i. I have the m50 but I think it will survive regardless.

How about the XM6?

Quote:
I need help finding a headphone to complement my wood Grado SR80i. I would like it to be close backed, extremely comfortable, at or below $250, good looking (something like either the Sennheiser HD598 or the AKG K701), and good punchy bone rattling bass. I'm not sure if this is even such a headphone so I would be willing to give on some of the things.

Bone punching bass... default suggestion would be something like the Sony XB700 or XB1000. There's also the Ultrasone Pro750 or maybe the 900 if you can find it used or on sale.

Quote:
I already asked this on its own thread, but since this is the right place to ask... (and my thread's being buried too fast anyway...)

I'm looking for a "budget" ($100+, it can be more if need be) closed headphones for music and gaming. Unfortunately I can't go with an open-air set since I intend to use them on LAN parties. In order of priority, I'm looking for soundstage (as much as possible, I know it's not really possible to expect much from closed cans) and clarity, balanced sound  (I enjoy bass, but I'd rather not have it take over) and some comfortability (I tend to take regular breaks).

In my other thread somene suggested the A700. Anything else in that price range I should consider?

How about a Senn PX200-ii? Great performer for the price, nice and balanced sound, decent isolation, easy to drive, and a surprisingly clean bass end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back