++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 2, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #5,101 of 29,490
Hi, I need help with my next choice of headphones.

I currently own a pair of sony mdr- v6's. They are great. I am very happy with them but I am looking to step up the sound quality and try an open style headphone.I want to spend between $100- $200 and I do not want to have to purchase an amp right off the bat. I need something that will sound good off my Yamaha receiver and my computer. I listen to classic rock, classical, modern rock, jazz, and blues. The sony's are good with rock and blues. So I'm hoping I could find some headphones that are good in classical, jazz, and some gaming/movies. Thumping bass is not needed. Accurate bass is good, though. From my research, the hd555's modded to hd595's or AD700's seem like the best options. What do you guys think? 

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #5,102 of 29,490
Hey

I am very new here so bare with me if my descriptions lack bits of information.

I am looking for a new headset for myself... I like music and that is the reason for my upcoming purchase of a new and (hopefully) better set of headphones. I like electronic music and music that are mixed a lot. Also I am a bass addict :)

I listen to the music from my computer which has a "Asus xonar essence STX" build in it. This was baught a month ago in the preparations for this purchase.

My budget allows me to spend around 350£.

I would love some advice :)

Thank you in advance :)

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #5,103 of 29,490
Would really appreciate some recommendations here...

What do you listen to? Setup? Budget?
I would say Grado SR60i, just got into the game and got these recommended, they are sublime! And cheap as well. I'm writing a review so check up in a bit. I'm pretty sure people will give you more recommendations and much more in depth responses but it would help if you said what your audio setups is/are.

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #5,104 of 29,490
Hello Head-fi community!

Looking for a new portable setup.  I listen to mostly orchestral music (19th/20th century).  At home I run ATH A900 through my computer.  I REALLY like how these cans sound.  They're just a little bit bulky for portable use (cord is way too long to walk around with!)...I also don't think the ATH A900 sound too good running directly out of my 160gb iPod classic, which is what I use on the go.  I probably need a closed headphone to reduce external noise.  Any suggestions?  Max price is $500 total.  I would be more than willing to invest in headphones AND a portable amp and LOD if needed.  There are so many amps out there; it's difficult to know what to look for.
The only cans I'm considering at this point are Senn HD25...and MAYBE the AKG K271 - but those look pretty bulky like my Audio Techinicas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #5,105 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Head-fi community!

Looking for a new portable setup.  I listen to mostly orchestral music (19th/20th century).  At home I run ATH A900 through my computer.  I REALLY like how these cans sound.  They're just a little bit bulky for portable use (cord is way too long to walk around with!)...I also don't think the ATH A900 sound too good running directly out of my 160gb iPod classic, which is what I use on the go.  I probably need a closed headphone to reduce external noise.  Any suggestions?  Max price is $500 total.  I would be more than willing to invest in headphones AND a portable amp and LOD if needed.  There are so many amps out there; it's difficult to know what to look for.
The only cans I'm considering at this point are Senn HD25...and MAYBE the AKG K271 - but those look pretty bulky like my Audio Techinicas.

The AKGs are just about as big as the AD900s, but being closed they won't leak as much and will isolate more.  Small and closed 'phones like the HD25 won't have as much soundstage as you used to from the AD900s but can sound good otherwise.

I think the new Beyerdynamic DT1350s are really nice and have a balanced sound.  I haven't had a chance to compare them to the HS25s which are the big name in top quality sealed portables though.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #5,106 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Attractive People On This Site,
          As you can probably already surmise from the thread, I'm noobish and am looking to grab my first real set of cans. I listen to mainly Alt Rock, Indie, Jazz, and some old-school Funk, and am considering various models under $150 (Amazon is taking 30% off people's bills for the 4th of July) :

- Grado SR60i
- Creative Aurvana Live! 
- Shure SRH440
- AKG K240
- anything Koss (Iifetime warranty means quality bang for buck and durability)
- AKG K430
- ATH-M50

Any and all help greatly welcomed :) and any other cans that should be of interest to me?

Music Genres I listen to: 50% alt/indie rock. 30% jazz/blues. 20%  everything else .

Portable: Not an issue, just gonna chill in my dorm and up my audioplile ante

Price range: anything under $150 would be solid, Im headed to college so budget is a bit tight

Amped: I haven't really distinguished what an amp does besides increase the volume of my music, but I am willing to invest in this later. So if ever someone will suggest a perfect headphone for me, it would be nice if it will be "amp-able" later on.

Closed/Open: Closed for me p

Headphone preference: Anything with a clear, crisp tone; doesn't need too much bass

^hope this helps some

Anyone?

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #5,107 of 29,490

Quote:
After reading through some of the threads in this site, I believe its about time I posted. I am actually looking for a pair of headphones for my pleasure. I'll just use a template provided by an earlier poster:

Music Genres I listen to: 60% house/club - a lot of beat and digital sounds, with or without lyrics. 20% rock/alternative - you probably know what this is. 20% - everything else - from pop/classical/to whatever is played today

Portable: This isn't an issue for me. There's only two places I'll listen to music: office and at home, and both places have me seated.

Price range: Without an amp, ill do $90, I don't need to analyze my music, I just want it to sound a tad notch higher than the average crowd.

Amped: I haven't really distinguished what an amp does besides increase the volume of my music, but I am willing to invest in this later. So if ever someone will suggest a perfect headphone for me, it would be nice if it will be "amp-able" later on.

Closed/Open: Closed; if I'm right with my knowledge between the two. I prefer my music to be heard only be me; I tend to go high volume just to get me in that mood, so Open is a big no-no.

Headphone preference: I'm not very good with describing especially audiophile lingo. I just want clear sounding headphones that are good enough to give me the bass I need since I listen to house/club much (not a DJ).

I will edit this later on with more detail. But as early as now, thanks guys!

I'd like to add that my music players are just an iPod Touch and my laptop. Also, some brands are hard to find in my country. Regards.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #5,108 of 29,490
Note: This post ended up much longer than I intended, sorry. From about the second paragraph is where the real information comes in.

Hey, just found this amazing site. I'm not an audiophile at all (yet), but hoping getting some nice headphones will change that.

I'll try and cut to the chase. [Edit: Didn't do a very good job of that, rofl.] So a couple of days ago my mate said he was buying some nice headphones. Came back the next day with some Dr. Dre Beats (Solo, I believe). At this point I knew absolutely nothing about the wide world of headphones, so I put them on and was blown away. Being used to stock ipod headphones, and my (what I consider decent but probably crap Sony MHC-EC50 speakers) they sounded ****ing astounding. I closed my eyes and refused to give them back. Anyway, mentioned this to a more or less audiophile mate of mine, who said they were overprices pieces of crap, and led me to this forum. So I've done a little research (bombarding him with questions) and he seemed to think the ATH-M50's would be a good place to start. I know they're regarded as a really safe option but are really popular around here, so I figure they must be good.

So despite being about half the price, will the M50's sound any better than the Beats Solo? I know price isn't everything, and I understand that a lot of it's paying for the brand (god knows why), but such a price increase still has me concerned. Also I've heard that for the same price, open headphones will almost always sound better than closed. Given the M50's are closed, I wonder if anybody has any recommendations for any open phones around the same price range that'll be better? Also wondering if I'll need a portable amp or anything for them? I just use an iPod touch but if they sound significantly better than my speakers (I trust they will) probably on my computer (which has an onboard sound card if that's what you call it, haven't purchased one) too. I have no idea what sort of amp I'd be looking for if I do need one.

Having open / closed phones doesn't matter to me really. Whatever sounds better. I listen to almost everything from latin guitar / post rock / metal / dubstep. I'm in love with instrumentals at the moment currently however, so if there's a headphone that is really clear and nice I think I'd prefer that to a heavily bassy one. Some bands are: toe, sgt., nujabes, LITE.

I'm wondering about the 'street price' I see around, I'm Australian and the best I can find M50's for is ~$170. Which isn't a problem. I think I could go up to $200 for some beautiful sound (and once I'm used to that who knows how much I'll spend for an upgrade.)

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #5,109 of 29,490
M50 is a good place to start, its a phone that delivers an fun, newfound impressive sound to newcomers, responds well to experiments, and has neat features: swivel/flipping earcups, collapsible, durability. Think of them as a gateway drug. You'll be satisfied for a while, but then as you begin to experiment with other sources, you'll find that you crave more of this, or this, and then soon enough, you'll find your nirvana.

Ahem, stay in school.
redface.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #5,110 of 29,490

Quote:
M50 is a good place to start, its a phone that delivers an fun, newfound impressive sound to newcomers, responds well to experiments, and has neat features: swivel/flipping earcups, collapsible, durability. Think of them as a gateway drug. You'll be satisfied for a while, but then as you begin to experiment with other sources, you'll find that you crave more of this, or this, and then soon enough, you'll find your nirvana.

Ahem, stay in school.
redface.gif

I suspect that if I'm going to be getting into an expensive hobby such as this I'll have to. :)

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #5,111 of 29,490

After spending money on 4 or 5 different " very good portable" models, around 2 years of trial and error, I finally got decent sound, much thanks to guidance in this forums. I finally went for the Sennheiser 25-1 II. It's sad to see that no really great portable headphones exist, but these are very good; not a consumer design (really a more professional design I'd say) and all plastic but very good sound without being "heaven" as some people say.

I used them with my loosless files (music) and Bithead portable amp. I hope someday soon, one company goes for the great headphones. Thanks for all this guidance.

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #5,112 of 29,490

Quote:
I suspect that if I'm going to be getting into an expensive hobby such as this I'll have to. :)

Haha, taking my own advice as well, just glad I got into this early since I'm getting my first job and now I know where to position my budget.
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #5,114 of 29,490

I say pull the trigger on the A700. Closed version of the AD700 (correct me if I'm wrong, just mind the cons I meant when I said closed), the King of Gaming in it's price range.
Quote:

Oh come on, I've bumped this twice already. It's just impossible that no one has further advice!

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #5,115 of 29,490

Users who are viewing this thread

Back