++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 2, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #5,086 of 29,490
The AD900 isnt a 'bass light' headphone like the K501, from my experience with both cans, but they wont have the 'obvious' bass punch many Head-Fiers crave. The House of Denon/Ultrasone was built for you guys. Embrace it.

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #5,087 of 29,490
Hello Attractive People On This Site,
          As you can probably already surmise from the thread, I'm noobish and am looking to grab my first real set of cans. I listen to mainly Alt Rock, Indie, Jazz, and some old-school Funk, and am considering various models under $150 (Amazon is taking 30% off people's bills for the 4th of July) :

- Grado SR60i
- Creative Aurvana Live! 
- Shure SRH440
- AKG K240
- anything Koss (Iifetime warranty means quality bang for buck and durability)
- AKG K430
- ATH-M50

Any and all help greatly welcomed :) and any other cans that should be of interest to me?

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #5,088 of 29,490
Quote:
You mean the M45?

The AD900, like most open headphones, is going to be a little light on bass. Then there are the Ultrasone HFI 780s, similar to the M50 but with more extension in treble/lows and definitely bass, more suited for electronic. I'll let you decide based on the 550 if you find Ultrasone's infamous highs fatiguing though.

Sorry, meant the A55s. Based on my experience with the Ultrasones, they were overall pretty good and I didn't really have a problem with sound but they were just extremely uncomfortable due to that little cushion underneath the band. It really presses into my head, mainly when using headphones for long periods of time.

Quote:
The AD900 isnt a 'bass light' headphone like the K501, from my experience with both cans, but they wont have the 'obvious' bass punch many Head-Fiers crave. The House of Denon/Ultrasone was built for you guys. Embrace it.

Yeah, Ultrasone headphones aren't very comfortable though. Never wore a set of Denon cans though but I do know the AD900s are not the best when it comes to bass but nothing a little equalizer can't fix. I guess the main thing i'm looking for is something really comfortable that is an upgrade from the M50s, with around a $200 budget. Willing to go a little over.

Thanks for the help.

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #5,090 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epedemic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...Yeah, Ultrasone headphones aren't very comfortable though...

Open for debate, and really depends on where you're coming from, as well as different personal comfort perceptions. There are both people who find Ultrasones to be uncomfortable, compared to Beyers for instance, and people who find them perfectly comfortable. I, for one, do find my Pro 900s quite comfortable and soft.

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #5,091 of 29,490
After reading through some of the threads in this site, I believe its about time I posted. I am actually looking for a pair of headphones for my pleasure. I'll just use a template provided by an earlier poster:

Music Genres I listen to: 60% house/club - a lot of beat and digital sounds, with or without lyrics. 20% rock/alternative - you probably know what this is. 20% - everything else - from pop/classical/to whatever is played today

Portable: This isn't an issue for me. There's only two places I'll listen to music: office and at home, and both places have me seated.

Price range: Without an amp, ill do $90, I don't need to analyze my music, I just want it to sound a tad notch higher than the average crowd.

Amped: I haven't really distinguished what an amp does besides increase the volume of my music, but I am willing to invest in this later. So if ever someone will suggest a perfect headphone for me, it would be nice if it will be "amp-able" later on.

Closed/Open: Closed; if I'm right with my knowledge between the two. I prefer my music to be heard only be me; I tend to go high volume just to get me in that mood, so Open is a big no-no.

Headphone preference: I'm not very good with describing especially audiophile lingo. I just want clear sounding headphones that are good enough to give me the bass I need since I listen to house/club much (not a DJ).

I will edit this later on with more detail. But as early as now, thanks guys!

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #5,092 of 29,490

Quote:
After reading through some of the threads in this site, I believe its about time I posted. I am actually looking for a pair of headphones for my pleasure. I'll just use a template provided by an earlier poster:

Music Genres I listen to: 60% house/club - a lot of beat and digital sounds, with or without lyrics. 20% rock/alternative - you probably know what this is. 20% - everything else - from pop/classical/to whatever is played today

Portable: This isn't an issue for me. There's only two places I'll listen to music: office and at home, and both places have me seated.

Price range: Without an amp, ill do $90, I don't need to analyze my music, I just want it to sound a tad notch higher than the average crowd.

Amped: I haven't really distinguished what an amp does besides increase the volume of my music, but I am willing to invest in this later. So if ever someone will suggest a perfect headphone for me, it would be nice if it will be "amp-able" later on.

Closed/Open: Closed; if I'm right with my knowledge between the two. I prefer my music to be heard only be me; I tend to go high volume just to get me in that mood, so Open is a big no-no.

Headphone preference: I'm not very good with describing especially audiophile lingo. I just want clear sounding headphones that are good enough to give me the bass I need since I listen to house/club much (not a DJ).

I will edit this later on with more detail. But as early as now, thanks guys!

perhaps the audio technica a-series?. e.g. ath-a700, ath-a900 though it might blow your budget....

my turn :wink:

I'm tossing up between the ad700/900/1000. I've read tonnes of reviews and decided to go with the ad900, but want a second opinion before I pull the trigger. Are there any other headphones is should consider?

Music Genres I listen to: 40% jpop i.e. lots of female vocals, synthesized stuff, mainly stuff in mid/high frequencies, 40% classical, 10% movies, 10% every other genre 

Portable: no, since full sized are better :D

Price range: up to the the price of the ad1000 ($260ish in AUS)

Amped: atm unamped, but will buy/make one if necessary 

Closed/Open: doesn't matter

Headphone preference: good mid/high response is a necessity -> no sibilance, good clarity, bass shy isn't too much of an issue (eq is my friend :), preferably something which is neutral
Keep in mind, I'm in Aus, so most other headphones are grossly overpriced......and out of my budget

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #5,094 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Head-Fiers,
I need help in making my first big investment.  I work in video production which equals long hours at a computer with headphones on.  This requires a little bit of audio mixing/editing.  On my down time I listen to Pandora and, of course, watch movies.  Accuracy of sound quality is important but the most important factor to me is comfort.  I need a pair that I can wear for 6-8 hours.  I don't care how ridiculous I look 'cause I'm in my editing studio all day.  I am looking for a pair of over the ear studio monitoring headphones.  Anything solid for less than or equal to $100 would be ideal.  Thanks for your suggestions and I appreciate you for your time and consideration.

- Peace within

How about an AD700? Known to be very comfortable and very light. They are open, mind you.

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #5,095 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Head-Fiers,
I need help in making my first big investment.  I work in video production which equals long hours at a computer with headphones on.  This requires a little bit of audio mixing/editing.  On my down time I listen to Pandora and, of course, watch movies.  Accuracy of sound quality is important but the most important factor to me is comfort.  I need a pair that I can wear for 6-8 hours.  I don't care how ridiculous I look 'cause I'm in my editing studio all day.  I am looking for a pair of over the ear studio monitoring headphones.  Anything solid for less than or equal to $100 would be ideal.  Thanks for your suggestions and I appreciate you for your time and consideration.

- Peace within

How about an AD700? Known to be very comfortable and very light. They are open, mind you.

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #5,096 of 29,490
My apologies, double post.
redface.gif

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #5,097 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone...

I'm looking to jump into the audiophile world, and need some good phones. I want to be able to feel the guitars, and notice details never heard in my music. 
beyersmile.png

I listen primarily to hard rock, rock, alternative, some metal and blues. 

I've got around 200$ to spend, and don't mind if the phone is closed or open, but they should sound at least decent unamped from my MacBook Pro and upscale nicely.

The question: WHAT SHOULD I GET?

Contenders:

Grado Sr225i - (might be too bright, fatiguing) 
Sennheiser 598 - (maybe not bassy enough for the music)
Maybe Beyer's?
Maybe other Senn?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Help, anyone? Please?

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #5,098 of 29,490

Quote:
Help, anyone? Please?

given your sources and musical preferences, Grados will probably suit you quite nicely.  They are nice and detailed, as well as engaging, from those genres, and don't need a strong amp to shine.

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #5,099 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Head-Fiers,

- Peace within

Those are some pretty demanding requirements.  Depending on your ear shape, a pair of Fostex T50RP might be a good choice, but likely some Sony Studio monitors in that price range would be a popular choice as well.

That combination of accuracy and comfort is a hard pairing to nail in that price range, though.

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #5,100 of 29,490

Quote:
I already asked this on its own thread, but since this is the right place to ask... (and my thread's being buried too fast anyway...)

I'm looking for a "budget" ($100+, it can be more if need be) closed headphones for music and gaming. Unfortunately I can't go with an open-air set since I intend to use them on LAN parties. In order of priority, I'm looking for soundstage (as much as possible, I know it's not really possible to expect much from closed cans) and clarity, balanced sound  (I enjoy bass, but I'd rather not have it take over) and some comfortability (I tend to take regular breaks).

In my other thread somene suggested the A700. Anything else in that price range I should consider?

Shameless bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back