++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 1, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #5,071 of 29,490
I'd go with the HD800 over the T1 by a large margin.   The soundstage is bigger and it has a far more natural timbre than the T1s I've heard.  Both the HD800 and T1 have similar amounts of bass to the DT880 though.

For the best bass extension and quality I'd go with the LCD-2s but you might find them too dark compared to your current phones.  The HE-6s strike a middle ground but I'm not sure if your amp can get the most of those power hungry beasts so you'd have to check in with other owners.  Neither have the massive soundstage of the HD800s though.

Other than Ayreon, which is prog rock/metal, i listen to metal, rock, blues and some classic pop.
So far i dont like sennheiser. Veiled, too slow. Not sure if the HD800 has that same sig. From reviews and posts i figured the HD800 wasnt much of a rock/metal can

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #5,072 of 29,490
Hi everyone...

I'm looking to jump into the audiophile world, and need some good phones. I want to be able to feel the guitars, and notice details never heard in my music. 
beyersmile.png

I listen primarily to hard rock, rock, alternative, some metal and blues. 

I've got around 200$ to spend, and don't mind if the phone is closed or open, but they should sound at least decent unamped from my MacBook Pro and upscale nicely.

The question: WHAT SHOULD I GET?

Contenders:

Grado Sr225i - (might be too bright, fatiguing) 
Sennheiser 598 - (maybe not bassy enough for the music)
Maybe Beyer's?
Maybe other Senn?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #5,073 of 29,490
Hello Head-fi community!

Looking for a new portable setup.  I listen to mostly orchestral music (19th/20th century).  At home I run ATH A900 through my computer.  I REALLY like how these cans sound.  They're just a little bit bulky for portable use (cord is way too long to walk around with!)...I also don't think the ATH A900 sound too good running directly out of my 160gb iPod classic, which is what I use on the go.  I probably need a closed headphone to reduce external noise.  Any suggestions?  Max price is $500 total.  I would be more than willing to invest in headphones AND a portable amp and LOD if needed.  There are so many amps out there; it's difficult to know what to look for.
The only cans I'm considering at this point are Senn HD25...and MAYBE the AKG K271 - but those look pretty bulky like my Audio Techinicas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #5,074 of 29,490
Alright. I'm about to order fa003's within the hour if No one tells me something different. I had to limit my max to about 190$ shipping included. I have an amp and I listen to mostly classical, some drum and bass. Very slight movie watching. No gaming. I went through the entire 003 thread and it seemed they were superior to the 598's. Is there any better bang for the buck? my amp is just a usb amp imo. tyty for help.

EDIT: I own the ad700's currently
EDIT EDIT: 003's have 35 dollar shipping... 193 total.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #5,075 of 29,490
Hello everyone. I need some new headphones. I will use them on my computer (which has a SupremeFX II integrated sound card, which is just ok), and on my PS3 (connected to the PS3's red and white cables using an adaptor). They have to be good for gaming (immersive sound and possibility to pinpoint the source of sounds), comfortable (I often spend most of the day on my computer either playing or listening to music, up to 10 hours a day), and with good bass for music (I like to feel powerful basses when I listen to trance, dance, hardstyle, but I also listen to classical and instrumental, so the sound has to be balanced but with good basses). I can't spend more than 200€.

I'd rather get a pair of headphones from one of these brands: AKG, Sennheiser or Sony, because every other brand in my country is overpriced. I won't be using an amp, but I might get one if you recommend me a pair of headphones that really benefit from an amp, but the price won't exceed 200€ (don't think
this is even possible).

I currently have a pair of 3 years old crappy Creative Fatality, I think the basses on those are decent, but everything else is terrible. I also had a pair of Audio Technica M50, but I returned them because I had buyers remorse, I paid almost 200€ for them and they failed to "wow" me, they also felt pretty uncomfortable and heavy. I listen mostly to MP3 music encoded at 320Kbps from CDs.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #5,076 of 29,490
Quote:
Other than Ayreon, which is prog rock/metal, i listen to metal, rock, blues and some classic pop.
So far i dont like sennheiser. Veiled, too slow. Not sure if the HD800 has that same sig. From reviews and posts i figured the HD800 wasnt much of a rock/metal can

The 800 is way brighter than the HD600/650 and is IMO the fastest dynamic on the market.  Its very different from the other Senns.

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #5,077 of 29,490
I will come here for amp advice. Ok so I currently have a headfive. Ive sort of been hankering for a new DAC since im currently running an xfi xtrememusic which was like among the first of the xfi branding. I think I might set my max budget to 500 on amp if its like combo with a DAC as long as its worth it. Otherwise, a standalone amp budget would be like 300-350. Also I am not really a fan of tube amps cause I really dont care for replacing a freaking tube. yaya call me lazy

Looking for something that would work great with my dt990/600 and my ms2i. I have the m50 but I think it will survive regardless.

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #5,078 of 29,490
I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD558 for $125. It's on sale here in Canada for the Canada's Day holiday. Probably going to use it for movies and gaming. How do they compare to the HD555? I heard the HD555 are pretty good for gaming.

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #5,079 of 29,490
The HD558 boasts the HD555's strengths and corrects its shortcomings (e.g. it doesn't have the 'Sennheiser veil'). It's splendid for gaming/movies/music. At $125, the HD558 is one hell of a steal.

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD558 for $125. It's on sale here in Canada for the Canada's Day holiday. Probably going to use it for movies and gaming. How do they compare to the HD555? I heard the HD555 are pretty good for gaming.

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #5,080 of 29,490
I need help finding a headphone to complement my wood Grado SR80i. I would like it to be close backed, extremely comfortable, at or below $250, good looking (something like either the Sennheiser HD598 or the AKG K701), and good punchy bone rattling bass. I'm not sure if this is even such a headphone so I would be willing to give on some of the things.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #5,081 of 29,490
Quote:
I need help finding a headphone to complement my wood Grado SR80i. I would like it to be close backed, extremely comfortable, at or below $250, good looking (something like either the Sennheiser HD598 or the AKG K701), and good punchy bone rattling bass. I'm not sure if this is even such a headphone so I would be willing to give on some of the things.

A Denon D2000 wouldn't be to bad a choice for most of your requirements.  They don't isolate very well compared to other closed 'phones though, which is why I'm assuming you're looking for a closed pair.

If you want to keep the aggressive treble, a pair of Ultrasones might be a decent choice.  They all use pretty much the same construction which wasn't very comfortable when I had a pair of HFI780s.  They do isolate more than the Denons though.

The Beyer DT770 Pro 80s have lots of bass, isolate well, and are fairly comfy with the stock pads.  The upper mids are pretty sucked out but I still liked them better than the HFI780s.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #5,082 of 29,490
I already asked this on its own thread, but since this is the right place to ask... (and my thread's being buried too fast anyway...)

I'm looking for a "budget" ($100+, it can be more if need be) closed headphones for music and gaming. Unfortunately I can't go with an open-air set since I intend to use them on LAN parties. In order of priority, I'm looking for soundstage (as much as possible, I know it's not really possible to expect much from closed cans) and clarity, balanced sound  (I enjoy bass, but I'd rather not have it take over) and some comfortability (I tend to take regular breaks).

In my other thread somene suggested the A700. Anything else in that price range I should consider?

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #5,083 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fiers,
I need help in making my first big investment.  I work in video production which equals long hours at a computer with headphones on.  This requires a little bit of audio mixing/editing.  On my down time I listen to Pandora and, of course, watch movies.  Accuracy of sound quality is important but the most important factor to me is comfort.  I need a pair that I can wear for 6-8 hours.  I don't care how ridiculous I look 'cause I'm in my editing studio all day.  I am looking for a pair of over the ear studio monitoring headphones.  Anything solid for less than or equal to $100 would be ideal.  Thanks for your suggestions and I appreciate you for your time and consideration.

- Peace within

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #5,084 of 29,490
Hey guys, seeking some guidance on upgrading my pair of Audio-Technica M50S. Headphones I owned before it were Grado SR60, ATH-M55, and Ultrasone Pro 550.  So far though, the M50S had the best audio quality. Only problem is, I have a big head so it kinda makes a dent on the hair on my head and i start getting rashes near the cup area around my ears whenever i shave. So I'm looking to upgrade to something with the same, if not better sound quality and good comfort for my big head.

Right now, the AD900s caught my eye. They look cool, seem like they'll be comfortable given my experience with the ATH-M55 and seem like they sound good. As for what i mainly use my headphones for... pretty much everything lol. Games, movies, music, etc. As far as music goes though, I tend to listen to a lot of DnB, Dubstep, Rap, R&B, Rock, hell pretty much everything but mainly electronic music so i like me some bass. Thanks to anyone who helps.

Jul 2, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #5,085 of 29,490
You mean the M45?

The AD900, like most open headphones, is going to be a little light on bass. Then there are the Ultrasone HFI 780s, similar to the M50 but with more extension in treble/lows and definitely bass, more suited for electronic. I'll let you decide based on the 550 if you find Ultrasone's infamous highs fatiguing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back